[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

15 minutes ago, kboramint said:

As episodes go on, I'm getting confused with the world hopping but the woman that went inside bookstore and looking at SJ's photos is SJ's real mom? That scene was taking place in the KOC 

Yep. That is what we all speculated.

Real mum is in KOC. 

What a heartbreaking moment.

She can only see her kid's development and wellbeing through photos. :tears:

And the scene whereby SJ was having a meal with mummy #2 was equally moving.

Mummy #2 looks really clueless on the switch and I can feel her love for SJ despite her screwing up all the time.

Mummy #2, if I can slap you to senses. I will.

@bebebisous33

here is the post by @Hikki on the reflection of SJ on the blood.

the pregnant woman who got an offer to act as granddaughter. If I remember it correctly, a mirror fell and she saw her reflection there. 

>>> I don't recall this scene? I thought she was looking at photos?

- the door between the two worlds

>>> I think this was shared many many pages away and i cannot recall which post already... 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, kboramint said:

As episodes go on, I'm getting confused with the world hopping but the woman that went inside bookstore and looking at SJ's photos is SJ's real mom? That scene was taking place in the KOC 

Yes that person looking at the photos is his real mom. Seems like LR had been sending her photos of her son looking "happy" in the other world. She probably told LR to send her son to ROK while she stayed in COR to help LR.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, leeminhosny said:

This scene seem me looks like "I was just passing through and I said that I confess my love" really? Writer/Pd why should this important scene be so careless in the road? Even OST can't be hear well ,KES/PD really don't care it, Can't they care just 1/2 romance scene? We know this isn't romace but just they should care 1/2 romance scene better

Maybe road is better than chicken store I am not sure now  :lol:

I don't really watch much drama neither Korean origin or any, but I am following this one and reading this great forum page(and your comments) constantly for last several weeks. As episodes pass, I kinda begin to have a feeling, this drama is not written for the usual audiance Korean dramas attract. They are trying to reach for some new viewers. My point is.. for me  that confession was the best I've seen on screen for a long time. Also same goes for the romantic relation between main leads. I find it pretty relatable. That relation attracted me much more then famous K-Drama romance series offered.

• Like 10
  • Love 4

Hello Chinguuuz!!!:D

My personal opinions about this episode. I will make it brief. 

THE ENDING!!!! it was soooo good!! LMH nailed with his facial expression and everything! The ending had a great impact and I cannot wait for next week. His intense scene with that guy in restaurant was good too. I liked it that we see a different side of Lee Gon.  I want MOREEEE!! Writer Kim! Please please, we need more development for Lee Gon. Use LMH's acting skills to the fullest. 

I don't like the uneven distribution of screen time. Did the writer forget LMH? I understand that other characters needed development but some scenes were just extra and unnecessary. No matter what the reason it, she shouldn't have limited his screen to this extent. 

• Like 8
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

I love episode 8 so much! 

2 minutes ago, Nikaa94 said:

Please please, we need more development for Lee Gon. Use LMH's acting skills to the fullest. 

I don't like the uneven distribution of screen time. Did the writer forget LMH? I understand that other characters needed

I agree! They wasting lmh 

This writer is so bad. She needs to return back to writing school. She waste talents of so many people. 

but overall episode was good! The first good episode in a long time in my opinion. 

• Like 3
  • Unamused 3
  • Thanks 1

Just finished episode 8. I loved it much more than 7. They have moved into more cerebral storyline and away from focussing on the main couple but instead putting the plotline and suspense first. As for them building up the other characters along the way it was good and necessary. 

I loved most the interaction of Lee Gon and JY these were good moments in the episode. JTE and Lee Gon are an official couple now in the drama which is why they have to focus on the storyline more than the romance as our couple is a couple already. The storm is about to arrive soon and things will likely not remain as lovey-dovey as we could witness some fatalities. Our couple will most likely struggle to survive to stay alive this is where there battle will be at.

But aside from all that I enjoyed it alot and can't wait for episode 9. By the way is the teaser for episdoe 9 out?

• Like 10

I was one of those that was a bit disappointed with episode 7, and wasn't actually surprised at the ratings. HOWEVER after completing episode 8, I realised just how important episode 7 was.

I have not really had a chance to read all the posts, apologies in advance if I am repeating anything already mentioned.

Episode 7 was a reset in more ways than one. Was this the episode from which they changed the PD/editing team? It was slow, and I was surprised that the momentum gained from the hug scene was not used to push the story. Instead the story backtracked, and somewhat restarted in a new angle. The best part was Jo Yeong and Eun Sup meeting each other.

Episode 8 was excellent. The was a lot more character exposure and new interactions. I am certainly looking forward to more Jo Yeong - Eun Sup and Lee Gon and Jo Yeong - Shin Jae and Lee Gon. The meeting between Prime Minister Koo and Luna was also quite interesting. 

We finally know for sure where Shin Jae comes from and my guess would be that Lee Rim used Shin Jae to gain favours/money from the dad in ROK - clearly the dad paid the price as well since he landed in jail, shortly after Shin Jae "woke up".

By far Shin Jae seems to be the more developed character in the show, and I wonder how he will feel knowing both his "moms" are alive?

I wonder why Lee Ju Hin's mother was kept alive? I feel that once she knows about Lee Gon she will help him out.

Lee Rim seems to be building an army of sorts. Getting people who owe him, and who will be indebted to him into important positions so that they will serve him when the time comes. He obviously started this initially thinking he was the only one who could in and out. 

I would definitely have loved more  Lee Gon - Tae Eul interactions. The  "love you" was a bit surprising, coming from Tae Eul. I thought it would have been the other way around. But I guess this was a Carpe Diem situation for her. 

The story seems to have finally hit a stride, and I hope it stays this way going forward.

• Like 14

15 minutes ago, elan1 said:

I love episode 8 so much! 

I agree! They wasting lmh 

This writer is so bad. She needs to return back to writing school. She waste talents of so many people. 

but overall episode was good! The first good episode in a long time in my opinion. 

I agree this episode was good too. Intense, mysterious, dark, and good development. We are done with the first half of the drama. I really hope that writer Kim makes up the second half of the drama with more action,  Lee Gon showing a different side of his character like today's intense side (LMH rocks this type of melodrama stuff) and also romance development. Many say focus of drama isn't romance. But in teaser, we read "love story on a different level"? I personally want more romance. But there are many characters in this drama and I have come to conclusion that writer kim may not  find screen time for LG and Taeeul more than this. 

This drama is refreshingly different and that is what I admire most. It does have its own flaws. I am still crossing my fingers that editing and music direction can become much better. :) 

What I want from the SECOND half of the drama: want each episode to be as good as (or even better) today's episode BUT of course with a better distribution of screen time. Thank you! ^^

The cast said that each episode gets better and as a viewer I look forward to seeing the next episode. I totally agree with this. I guess episode 16 will be the best of all. :glasses:

• Like 11

1 hour ago, mrsj3n said:

Regarding LG's doppelganger's mum.

I believe time travel is involved to bring her back to life as in, they go back in time to stop her from completely dying but leave her with scars to remember.

She was also the one who threw the rag at LR and asked who is he and why didn't he age.

Back to time travel, I believe LR figured he can do it even with half of the flute.

So why not LG right?

He just need to figure it out asap!

Regarding JTE confession. 

I don't find it abrupt but I was actually hoping for her to walking up to LG and telling it in his face and then hug or give him a peck to seal the deal. LOL.

It is the time whereby she realised she embraced fate and being such a cool woman, she just has too.

I don't have any issues with LG replying "me too" 

Regarding the PPL... I have no issues as well.

Don't let it put you off unless it make you want to get the same thing too but it's late and no shops are open for you to get it. Hahahahaha

For me, I wouldn't be able to buy it since I'm not from Korea so I'm usually not bothered by it.

Sorry, I cut your post short chingu. Just wanted to chime in on a few things. 

1) How I interpret this scene is she tried to commit suicide but was never successful. We’ve seen in earlier episodes that she is under close watch so my guess is, she never succeeded because they would stop her before she died.

2) I hope it takes both sides of the flute to travel back in time and not just one. If Lee Rim could time travel, he would have done so much damage by now. I reckon he’d gone back and let the guards kill Lee Gon instead of taking it upon himself. He would also have stopped Lee Gon from cutting the flute in half. I think things can get out of hands if it was that easy to travel back.

3) I liked his reply. Had he been more passionate about it, the scene may have been completely out of place. I liked how they both handled it “coolly.”

4) While I do laugh at the PPL, I also don’t mind it. The drama needs to make money. Speaking of which, I’m with you and @koreaboooo, the chicken is what I want. It looks delicious! Lol. If I lived in Korea, I’d be eating BBQ every Friday and Saturday as I watch The King lol. 

21 minutes ago, Nikaa94 said:

Hello Chinguuuz!!!:D

My personal opinions about this episode. I will make it brief. 

THE ENDING!!!! it was soooo good!! LMH nailed with his facial expression and everything! His intense scene with that guy in restaurant was good too. I want MOREEEE!! Writer Kim! Please please, we need more development for Lee Gon. Use LMH's acting skills to the fullest. 

I don't like the uneven distribution of screen time. Did the writer forget LMH? I understand that other characters needed development but some scenes were just extra and unnecessary. No matter what the reason it, she shouldn't have limited his screen to this extent. 

All of their performance was phenomenal! They delivered intensity packed with a punch! 

I love LMH’s switch of facial expression when he went from “I’ve answered all your questions. Now it’s your turn.” to “JTE even told you things like that?” to “She’s not the one who told you?” and finally, a confident, “It seems like I am your king.” 

*clap* *clap* *clap* 

The king figures things out quickly and I totally buy it with LMH’s acting. I love it! 

Can we have more of these scenes please? They’re great! 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

I love LMH’s switch of facial expression when he went from “I’ve answered all your questions. Now it’s your turn.” to “JTE even told you things like that?” to “She’s not the one who told you?” and finally, a confident, “It seems like I am your king.” 

*clap* *clap* *clap* 

The king figures things out quickly and I totally buy it with LMH’s acting. I love it! 

Can we have more of these scenes please? They’re great! 

I only said facial expressions but you describing them was so good. THANK YOU!! Now I want to watch that scene again. :glasses:

(sorry i cut your post short, wanted to emphasize your description of LMH's facial expression transition and also say thank you) 

I loved the CONFIDENT facial expression of Lee Gon More!! He has this imperial and royal aura. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1