[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

8 hours ago, briseis said:

I agree with you about LMH's screentime. It's not that I would be his hardcore fan or anything, it's just not good storytelling if a main character is sidelined by set ups, secondary and minor characters. Lee Gon's character is at the center of the story and plot. Every plotline, no matter how intricate, leads to him in the end. Be it a novel, a TV series or a movie, the main character is the heart of each story and he or she can't be sidelined. Secondary, support and minor characters are there to support the few main characters - that's the cardinal rule of literature and movie-making. Building up and setting up a story is good but if you spend too much time on it it will kill your story. If you want to develop their stories it's alright; however, you need a longer drama for that. 16 episodes is just too few to explore that kind of a story, even more so considering how complex the subject of parallel universes, time travel and royal family power struggle are. By doing it, you're risking underdeveloping your main characters and main story objectives. 

Agreed that King should be heart of the story. Side plot lines should be shorter

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Kim Go Eun Makes 180-Degree Transformation In Her Dual Role As Hard-Living Criminal

SBS’s “The King: Eternal Monarch” has introduced a new character played by Kim Go Eun!

“The King: Eternal Monarch” takes place in two parallel universes, one in which Korea is a constitutional monarchy and one that is similar to the modern-day republic. Lee Min Ho plays Emperor Lee Gon in one universe and Kim Go Eun plays Jung Tae Eul, a detective, in another universe.

Like Woo Do Hwan, who plays two different roles in each parallel universe, Kim Go Eun will be taking on a dual role. Although she plays Jung Tae Eul in the “regular” universe, she will be playing a mysterious criminal named “Luna” in Emperor Lee Gon’s universe.

This is Kim Go Eun’s first time playing a dual role. In the new stills released by SBS, she makes a 180-degree transformation from Jung Tae Eul’s confident, no-nonsense attitude. Unlike her parallel universe counterpart, Luna looks like she’s been living a hard life. She commits crimes in cold blood, looks at the world with a suspicious eye, and is overcome with despair.

the-king-eternal-monarch-kim-go-eun.jpg

kim-go-eun-the-king-eternal-monarch-2.jp

kim-go-eun-the-king-eternal-monarch.jpg

These stills came from a scene that was filmed in April in the city of Hwaseong, Gyeonggi Province. This was Kim Go Eun’s first shoot as her second character and the actress did a lot of research in advance in order to portray a character who was very different from Jung Tae Eul. She spent a lot of time in conference with the production staff in order to get a handle on the right tone.

The production company, Hwa&Dam Pictures, stated, “Despite this being her first dual role, Kim Go Eun perfectly portrayed a character who is completely different from Jung Tae Eul in all but face. Please look forward to the entrance of Luna, who will amplify the cracks between the parallel universes.”

This episode of “The King: Eternal Monarch” will air on May 9 at 10 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1399249wpp/kim-go-eun-makes-180-degree-transformation-in-her-dual-role-as-hard-living-criminal

• Like 10
  • Love 1

Yes, the best scenes for me were the ones you named. Shin Jae’s story needed to happen but maybe it took up more time than needed. I’d also like to suggest the producer not focus on one character per episode. It’s good to have a balance so everyone’s story doesn’t get pushed to the back all of a sudden, especially the main character which is the main story. Shin Jae is only one puzzle so there’s no need to focus so heavily on him especially because his story is one we’ve been shown all this time. We have every detail to connect the dots so the revelation could have been achieved in a few minutes. Same with the investigation and interrogation. They’re spending excessive time still trying to solve cases that we, the viewers, already know is linked to LR. Now we’re just waiting for them to catch up to us. We’re ahead of the game here. To eliminate it altogether wouldn’t be good either but there is absolutely no reason why they need to drag it out almost every episode. It’s just taking time away from the main story. 

@HeretorantShin Jae scenes were way too long. It could have been done without stretching it. His meeting with his mom from prison to dinner could have been done at half the time. True at times, he seems to dominate a lot of the scenes. Need more substance from LG. 

@leeminhosnyWe have watched more Shin Chae's character development than Lee Gon's character development for 8 ep, yes We understand this character is important but what a important character , I guess he will be next King :lol: really I am tired SC's character 

Yes, what about LG's character development?  That should be important LOL

•  
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

What I am loving most about episode 8 is the fact that they went more cerebral and away from the cliches and branched into something of their own drama where the focus is more crime and suspense. As for the side characters getting build up it's necessary for the plotline. They should minimize the love story slightly and give way for the other elements to step-in. Our main couples lives will be on the line now and they will have to survive this chellenge coming ahead in order to not die and survive and stay together. They are an official couple inside the drama now which dosen't give them room for more focus except where we see them doing stuff couples do. Hack we could even have a bed scene thrown in there somewhere.

We need a backstory on Jangmi his the only remaining character who has not gotten a backstory so far 

• Like 10

A lot of people are complaining that LMH didn't have enough screen time. I didn't even notice.

We have come to the point in the story when the set up of the context and characters are complete, and the plot is propelling the story forward. Prior to this, we saw a lot of LMH because it was through him crossing over the two worlds and through his eyes that we learned about the context of the story. Now that this is (finally) over, the story can now start moving. KES tends to spend a lot of time doing this - eg, in Goblin, it took almost half the series for us to get to the point.

It was a much stronger episode because the story has started to move, and it moves because of the developments around LMH that he may/ may not see. So naturally, he starts to get less screentime. But that is OK and it has to be, because if not, the plot will not move.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, scrawford said:

@Joséphine.arjenia HI, I'm so sorry if my post offended you. I too am A huge fan of KGE. I realized that they way i wrote my post is a lil bit Biased towards LMH. I acknowledge that fans of each actor also keeping this show afloat. But.... To be honest, as of now KGE and WDH has the advantage of double role and KKN is being fleshed out more as a character. BUt.. I feel like LMH character is not (yet?). that's why my comment is a bit biased towards LMH. And as his fans, im bit disappointed that his character is not being utilize more and i know that his fans is being really patient with this drama, as i know a lot of them are starting to loose interest but keep watching. Not saying the other actors fans aren't, but again, i feel like his character is being outsided is why the post biased towards Him. I love KGE and watching this for her too.

That is all.:)

Agreed, LMH's character has not been fleshed out. He looks royal, cultured and handsome but not much of a contrasting role like KGE and WDH. HIs character is not growing.  

• Like 4

THIS ROLE REVERSAL AND THEIR EPIC BROMANCE IS THE BEST THING THAT HAS EVER AWESOMED!

ba58e425a2dca4276c62571936fed9f3f195d4bb

Spoiler

1aadd1a3eac8df2ee035fecf9a7aaac2f395bfe6666552b6927581da342c8a7b284e10bdd6150eaa

I love this - it’s Gon’s turn to be shocked and indignant while Yeong plays the boss and he is totally milking it and enjoying every hilarious second of it. It’s payback time for all the pent-up frustration. He basically had to travel to a parallel world to get the upper hand in this relationship and diss his pain-in-the-richard simmons king for once. 

ff0195c5b9400837a1ffc12edf3f02327adcea75

Spoiler

71652a0b4801524b3be8a2180f33bbf3225ce954

I mean he isn’t even lying because the thing about Gon not being able to eat without him, however ridiculous it may sound to other people, is actually all true since Yeong must have tasted his food many times. So the shade Yeong is throwing here is 100% real! LOL!

e650b8f75fcf3bce7c20e980d8cf1c17ba660933

• Like 6
  • LOL 16
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, CallieP said:

Agreed, LMH's character has not been fleshed out. He looks royal, cultured and handsome but not much of a contrasting role like KGE and WDH. HIs character is not growing.  

His not suppose to grow. His the king and as character there is no room for growth except his leading skills growing. He can't act like a jester all of sudden he has to keep his royal elegance this is the whole point of the character and essence otherwise this will be confusing if he were to convey talkative and unnecessary out of his royal elegance characteristics. I am not seeing what you are asking of the king to become. 

This is not like his character from LOTBS where he could be all playful and sassy. The character is very specific and his only job is to potrary a believable king

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1

I am tired of Shin Jae's too much screen time . Why does the production team and writer not take feedback into consideration? It is kinda unlikely in kdramas. The production team usually listen to feedback and do some action. I wish they would take a break for a week and come back stronger.  LMH deserves more! He needs more screen time to grow and display his acting skills. He gets paid a lot for per episode right? then use him to the fullest. :D

I have said a lot in my posts before. LMH rocks intense and emotional scenes. That is why I have always wanted him to act in a real melodrama (no comedy involved) like TWTWB. In this drama, he is a royal character and has so much dignity and grace. He should display a side of this character which we still haven't seen. A tense and even darker King. By darker, I mean a King that directly fights with the evil. Like how he ordered "suicidal order". It was so intense, cold , and dark. We need that!!! 

Please let Lee Gon cry for Jung Taeeul. :D Crying scenes are so powerful. LMH is sooooo good at crying. YouTube this "Lee Min Ho crying scenes" and you see what i mean.  our OTP can become stronger when they go through some emotional scenes. When Tae Eul said "I love you", I think it would have been better if she said it in a different situation.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, briseis said:

THIS ROLE REVERSAL AND THEIR EPIC BROMANCE IS THE BEST THING THAT HAS EVER AWESOMED!

I was about to say the same thing! This scene is epic, most especially LG's reaction. I also love the part when LG was talking to JY after the fight scene with the gangster. The bromance is already there. Laughing myself out. :joy:

• LOL 8
  • Awesome 1

15 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

His not suppose to grow. His the king and as character there is no room for growth except his leading skills growing. He can't act like a jester all of sudden he has to keep his royal elegance this is the whole point of the character and essence otherwise this will be confusing if he were to convey talkative and unnecessary out of his royal elegance characteristics. I am not seeing what you are asking of the king to become 

Hehehe I think we’re wording it wrong. We want him to show different sides; he doesn’t necessarily have to grow. We’re asking for scenes where he’s angry/intense like the ones we got short glimpses of today. But I think we’re asking for it too soon, because for sure he’ll be going through rough times coming up :D. It’s funny how in a story, I root for the main character but as a fan, I want the main character to go through some rough times to showcase their acting chops. It’s because I know lmh is great at these scenes and it would be such a waste if the writer doesn’t give it to him lol. Confrontational scenes, fighting scenes, crying scenes, I want it all :lol:

@Nikaa94 I loved the suicidal order! YES, we need more! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, scrawford said:

1). LG character development. This is to also clarify my earlier post about Shin jae Development. To be Clear, i don't hate Shin jae or KKN, and i was one of the people who didn't complain about him taking up sometimes to be develop in Episode 3, because i fully understand the need for his character to be develop but i wish it could be cut down a bit. And i love a show that doesn't solely focus on the main character. While I am not KES hardcore fan, that's the one thing i love about her drama, she makes interesting side Character and develop them well. But i notice in some of her Drama, she can forget about her main Character (Goblin and Heir). I hope she won't do that here. My main thing is, Im not asking for shower scene or yet another PPL involving LMH. I'm asking for his character to be fleshed out More. I get Lee Gon, I understand why he did the things He did, i can see why he is in love with JTE and we have seen some plots given to us to understand how his mind work (Approach, problem solving, he is smart) but i guess i don't feel fully connect/invested in his character. Out of the 5 main characters I feel like LG and the PM lady are the least develop character. and I feel Like they used LMH so much for the ppl scene. I get that he is the brand ambassador, but some of it it's too obvious. And to be fair this is also how i felt towards WDH character, for awhile. ep1-4, i feel like WDH was way under utilize, i haven't seen his work, but just from watching him here, i get his hype. while his character was subtle in the beginning, he nailed it!. Although JTE is not fully fleshed either, but she got a lot of screen time and she freaking did it for her second role, and for that, as a fan I am really happy for her. Maybe is just not LG time yet to be develop

5 hours ago, scrawford said:

3). Also the super obvious PPL. I don't mind that they are drinking the coffee and eating all the chicken, but the lines "Hmmm we didn't have this sauce", "This taste like the coffee i drink". Wish for more subtle ppl in the near future.

Totally agree with your criticism. KES neglects her lead. LG character is not fleshed out more. PPL is too evident. Need to be subtle . 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

We need a backstory on Jangmi his the only remaining character who has not gotten a backstory so far 

Oh no please I don't want 8 episodes too Jangmi's backstory :lol: I am full of Shin Jae backstory :lol:

23 minutes ago, Phoenix Klaw said:

It was a much stronger episode because the story has started to move, and it moves because of the developments around LMH that he may/ may not see. So naturally, he starts to get less screentime. But that is OK and it has to be, because if not, the plot will not move.

Yes Then rating won't move :lol: We saw it.

• Like 1
  • Unamused 2
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 2

4 minutes ago, leeminhosny said:

Oh no please I don't want 8 episodes too Jangmi's backstory :lol: I am full of Shin Jae backstory :lol:

Hahahaha. Lmao! It seems like you just wanna watch Lee Min Ho in unapologetic way but Drama has to branch out this is necessary for the whole production and it comes together nicely at the end. You really cracked me up tho. Vote up:lol: Believe me there will be plenty of LMH for you coming up ahead

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, leeminhosny said:

Yes Then rating won't move :lol: We saw it.

But we shouldn’t root for the drama to get low ratings :(. I thought episode 8 was amazing regardless of the lack of Gon’s screen time. I hope the ratings will increase. After all, every actor works hard.

• Like 10

52 minutes ago, CallieP said:

Yes, what about LG's character development?  That should be important LOL

I actually had a whole paragraph on what I think about LG's character development earlier but I accidentally delete it to answer someone else's question. :sweat_smile:

As a character, LG doesn't have much flaws. He's smart, a good king, handsome, strong and talented. Makes one wonder what character development would he have to have? All other characters have so much more going on for them. That is not to say LG can't have character development. I think it'll just be mild compare to other characters. LG has a very stable character. He has to because he's shouldering a nation on his shoulder. He always know he's king and always know what he has to protect. As JTE said, he grew up into a fine man. It's everyone else that has to catch up to him. Even with his relationship with JTE. He tells her not to wait for him but he is always the one waiting for her. Sometimes it doesn't seem like he's waiting since he's constantly moving but I think he is waiting because with every step, he always go back to her and ask the same points- if she will be his queen, if she will come with him. Same with his relationship with JY, he takes things in slow stride for the people around him. He knows JY will not read the article and so he explain things to JY in a way he can understand like bringing him to ROK and then when the time freeze, he put a note in his pocket. I think LG is there to help his people help him. Ever heard of the whole leader vs boss? I think LR is like a boss, just making commands and trying to have things done exactly his way. LG is like a leader. He would sometimes step back from the scene to let his people develop. 

As long as LMH doesn't disappear altogether from the drama like what PD's did with PHJ in Cheese in the Trap, then I'm okay with it.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 2

3 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

Hahahaha. Lmao! It seems like you just wanna watch Lee Min Ho in unapologetic way but Drama has to branch out this is necessary for the whole production and it comes together nicely at the end. You really cracked me up tho. Vote up:lol:

Just I am giving up my hopes abaout PD , Writer or PD can't arrange screen time , and We have just 8 EP

3 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

Which btw, I know we’re not supposed to talk about ratings but where did today’s ratings go? Lol. I haven’t seen anyone update. 

belive me you don't want to know it :lol: so let's forget it 

• Unamused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, leeminhosny said:

Writer or PD can't arrange screen time , and We have just 8 EP

They have to branch out things in order to give us the full mystery of this parallel world and the other elements within the drama so they have to mix things up. Yes there is 8 ep left and perhaps a 2nd season so there will be hopefully Lee Gon every single year :lol: I hope so

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, leeminhosny said:

Just I am giving up my hopes abaout PD , Writer or PD can't arrange screen time , and We have just 8 EP

belive me you don't want to know it :lol: so let's forget it 

I saw it. Let’s not talk about it.

Moving on... lol.

• Like 2