[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

5 hours ago, bpwinces! said:

Hi everyone. I hope to be kinda active in this thread since I am going GAGA over this lovely drama...I have no wards to say how much I'm enjoying it.I figured the best place to fangirl is ofc here so I hope I'll be able to join in the fun madness of loving this universe ^^ 

I'm usually bad at expressions so I rely on my videos to do the work xD so I made an fmv on this magical world, if you lovelies are interested. Maybe lemme know what aspects you're enjoying the most so that I can (try to)capture it for my next inspirations. Thanks!  :) Have a good day/night everyone x

THIS IS BEAUTIFUL!! :wub:

Do more please...Friday is so far awayyy :(

• Like 5
  • Love 1

So, based off what I learned in 6 episodes of this drama and real life historic events, I wanted to try create a timeline of the Kingdom of Corea's history.....

1392 - Joseon Dynasty is founded. 

1592 - Japan tries to invade Joseon. Starting the first conflict.

1597 - The second invasion happens. Starting the second conflict..

1897 - Kingdom of Corea is founded.

1910 - Japan fails to annex the Kingdom of Corea.

1939 - World War 2 never happens in Asia.

1945 - Corea becomes a constitutional monarchy leaving the parliament in Seoul, and moving the palace to Busan

1950 - The Korean War never happens. 

• Like 9
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, OR Ng said:

one thing i found very adorable about Lee Gon is he cares so much for Tae Eul

in the kitchen scene, Tae Eul told him that wandering around in Corea made her realize that he must be very lonely when he was in Korea and Lee Gon just turn to her right away "do you feel lonely here?"  how nice it is for someone to think about your feeling first even though the story is not really about you

and Lee Gon always longs to know what is in her mind

the helicopter scene, he can just asked her later why she looks at the moon with such expression, though Tae Eul found the  situation sensitive due to the existence of Jo Young and Secretary Mo and didnt wanna talk

Lee Gon didnt mind to shock the other two by writing on her hand in an intimate way and respond to her concern about the story of rabbit living in the moon

His character is so easy to love. You'd be amazed how gentle he acts towards JTE. The way he talks and interacts with her can give you palpitations LOL. I also love how strong-willed and independent JTE is. Even though she is still somewhat in a state of shock, she did not let that cloud her reasoning. 

If I may say, I also love the scene where LG asked her if she will wait for him. Our King sure knows how to make someone's heart flutter. (despite of the fact that he has not dated anyone before). :wub:

2 hours ago, PororoQueen said:

Thank You guys, you have great 20/20 vision!! I missed reading that long characters description.

What scary is, in my opinion. What if ....... Luna got captured by the Evil uncle first, offering Luna a second life with a catch "Kill the Doppelganger JTE" - Since that Evil Uncle got to know ROK world and JTE relationship with  our King??

Omooooooooo......:bawling:

How can LR do that? I mean I don't think he has power to cure sicknesses?  If Luna is really a minion of LR, I wonder what kind of offer he gave her to make her follow his orders. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks!
  • Like 11

Wah this week’s episodes is just full of :love:

I literally cried when LG finally meet JTE.  The scene at the royal wardrobe was also heartbreaking where you could see JTE looked like she was going to cry:dissapointed_relieved:   
The cute scene in the helicopter, i like how the background music synchronised with the hand pulling.  When JTE pulled back her hand, the music stopped and LG stare was wahhhhh ... when he pulled her hand back, the music continued.  Made the scene so much fun to watch.. gah i think i will binge watch these episodes until friday :sweat_smile: 
I am just hoping that KES will not give another Mr Sunshine-like ending *praying hard*

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, simplebeauty08 said:

His character is so easy to love. You'd be amaze how gentle he acts towards JTE. The way he talks and interacts with her can give you palpitations LOL. I also love how strong-willed and independent JTE is. Even though she is still somewhat in a state of shock, she did not let that cloud her reasoning. 

If I may say, I also love the scene where LG asked her if she will wait for him. Our King sure knows how to make someone's heart flutter. (despite of the fact that he has not dated anyone before). :wub:

This, THIS, is one of my favorite scenes! Hits me right in the feels! And JTE’s response to him, “I will see you again, Lee Gon.” :bawling: I don’t know why but I love hearing her call him Lee Gon. Maybe because no one else does? They just seem extra close when she calls him by his name. :wub:

• Like 9
  • Love 4

@Heretorant definitely he is! Look how he swing the sword. Is the sword the one that inherited through the late king? I guess there would be fight scene when they confront LR later. It's probably in next halves episode. 

My username, yes you've just mentioned. :D thanks for liking it. Yup it matched to the drama story. And I never thought that this show will have Alice as one of their references.

23 minutes ago, simplebeauty08 said:

They looked like teenagers there. LOL. I sooooo love their interaction in that part. Most especially LG's creative way of holding hands with JTE. >.<

Yes. He always excels in that. 

And I love how they keep giving us flashback. I thought why would the after kiss scene was cut to the next morning. So it was for this beautiful resumes. It's funny to see how he keep teasing her about how many buttons he should open for her and she replied with a joke for turning off the light to see his shoulder. Lol

These two seriously are so amusing. :lol:

• Like 6
  • Love 5

@cpt_falcon You mentioned that SJ's doppelganger was in Japan... how did you come to this thought?

You made quite interesting observations like Lee Rim is working with Japan... this would explain the aggressiveness from Japan and divert attention from himself and buy some time. He is well aware that once LG went to JTE's world, LG would question the authenticity of his death.

As for Luna, JTE and the connection to the moon rabbit. Luna is the white rabbit for LG and not JTE. He followed Luna and ended up in JTE's world. Since Luna means moon in latin, then Luna is the one who has to be associated to the moon rabbit and not JTE. In my opinion, we shouldn't perceive Luna as the same person than JTE. She might be her doppelganger but she has a different personality. Just because they look alike, we shouldn't treat them as if they were the same. Since in the folktale, the rabbit sacrificed himself, then I would rather say that Luna will be the one who sacrifices herself. 

As for JTE, she followed LG to his world... so in her eyes, he was her white rabbit. And let us not forget that once she returned to Rep. Korea, she claimed that she had been in Alice in Wonderland. So she perceived herself as Alice... In other words, LG is the white rabbit who let her discover his new and strange world and as such, he will be the one who could sacrifice himself for JTE. On the other hand, LG is a scientist hence he doesn't believe in the folktale of the moon rabbit and his sacrifice. He gave an objective explanation for the form on the moon hence LG will find a way to prove that he was able to overcome the adversity and his "sacrifice" was just temporary. Furthermore, in the folktale, the god lets him live as the rabbit is not burnt. 

@YongZura⁷ I have already planned to write an analysis about the connection between Alice in Wonderland and The King... but it will take some time.

• Like 14
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 5

3 minutes ago, Alice Wonderland said:

@Heretorant definitely he is! Look how he swing the sword. Is the sword the one that inherited through the late king? I guess there would be fight scene when they confront LR later. It's probably in next halves episode. 

My username, yes you've just mentioned. :D thanks for liking it. Yup it matched to the drama story. And I never thought that this show will have Alice as one of their references.

Yes. He always excels in that. 

And I love how they keep giving us flashback. I thought why would the after kiss scene was cut to the next morning. So it was for this beautiful resumes. It's funny to see how he keep teasing her about how many buttons he should open for her and she replied with a joke for turning off the light to see his shoulder. Lol

Sometimes, LG acts like a kid that made me think that JTE is more mature than him even though he is older than her, then other times, he is so mature and responsible that makes me envy JTE. I also agree that the way they tease each other is so amusing. I did not even notice that I was smiling from ear to ear whenever both of them are in one frame. Their bickering is so cute! :wub:

• Like 7
  • Love 3

14 hours ago, Heretorant said:

This is heartbreaking. The moment he realizes she’s in love with him is also the moment he realizes she’s in danger because of him. He said earlier that the line between him and her is harder to cross than the line between the two worlds. If it takes heaven and hell to close the latter, what would it take to break these two apart? The acting here was superb! Let’s all take a moment to appreciate LMH and KGE because all the emotions they displayed in that short scene were beyond words. 

I love your detailed post. But I want to highlight to this part specifically. I LOVED their reunion here. It feels sad and yet so emotional. That hug is the first step that TE takes to cross the line between them. All this time it is always on LG side who keeps making the effort but now both are finally decided. And the theme song, I like the one which played along here. It matches so well as the first lines sings "please don't cry..." Has it released yet? When TE arrived at the yard seeing him already waiting for her. Both acting are just amazing. Their eyes speaks louder. Goshh... oteokhae... I think I'm going to rewatch again the episode. Lol

• Like 9
  • Love 8

3 minutes ago, Alice Wonderland said:

I love your detailed post. But I want to highlight to this part specifically. I LOVED their reunion here. It feels sad and yet so emotional. That hug is the first step that TE takes to cross the line between them. All this time it it always on LG side who keep making the effort but now both are finally decided. And the theme song, I like the one which played along here. Has it released yet? When TE arrived at the yard seeing him already waiting for her. Both acting are just amazing. Their eyes speaks louder. Goshh... oteokhae... I think I'm going to rewatch again the episode. Lol

Wonderful song by Davichi. This one actually hints at a happy ending. 

“When the right moment comes. I’ll go back to you.”

“I will not leave you alone ever again.” 

• Like 11
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 4

55 minutes ago, simplebeauty08 said:

How can LR do that? I mean I don't think he has power to cure sicknesses?  If Luna is really a minion of LR, I wonder what kind of offer he gave her to make her follow his orders. 

Forgive me, It was all my wild imagination, so I said "What if...":D LR can't cure the illness but he has time travel power.

Up to this ep, Lee Rim or Lee Lim hasn't met Luna or JTE.

Here what made me speculate that way:

- Evil Uncle killed his doppelganger, and brought his  body from ROK to Kingdom of Corea to cover his own death. The doctor Prince Buyeong did autopsy.

- Ep 5: Remember the scene of pregnant lady. Evil Uncle offered the pregnant lady better life?

But just forget my writing. Sometimes Lee Min Ho made me crazy speculating this way:D

--------------------------------

One thing for sure the best scene of Ep 6 for me is the scene when King LG got his portrait painted in the palace.

The moment LG rolled his eyes to the left watching JY .... Can someone make me a still pic of that? Thank you :)

I want to print it and frame it on the wall.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

About ep. 6:
1) Lee Geon got all flustered when TE told him to take off his clothes... He hadn't thought that far, but he didn't seem against the idea... :smirk: 
2) Lee Geon pointing out how difficult it is for him to cross the invisible wall between them made me sad... :heartbreak:... until it didn't. :heart: TE was already head over heels for him: he just hadn't realized it yet, 'cause the whole situation was so scary and confusing. :scream:

3) Giggly Lee Geon wearing TE's too tight elastic band on his wrist and JY freaking out about it was adorkable! :lol:
4) Lee Geon wearing the uniform and commanding the fleet was so sexy and manly... I wish Te saw that side of him too! :love:

5) TE bursting into tears and barreling into him was the sweetest thing ever... :blush: She's as smitten with him as he's with her!

• Like 12
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 3

5 hours ago, Nikaa94 said:

Can we get IU's special appearance in an episode?? It would be so fun!!  KES seems to like IU and we would love her to sing OST for The King. :D:heart:

This may be too random to say, but do you guys remember how Kim Tan cried for Cha Eun Sang and we had this huge rise in viewership? I was thinking we get a similar emotional cry scene from Lee Gon, it would be great. Because LMH is so good at crying. He also cried so well for his father's death in LOTBS and I remember that real time rating was over 20%. The writer should use LMH's crying skills. Trust me, it works wonders when male characters cry. :joy:

He is one of the pretty Cryers which tugs at your heart...For LG to cry a river we will have to wait.

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

1 hour ago, Alice Wonderland said:

I hadn't liked that cut at all (too abrupt and unsatisfying), so I'm glad they showed us the rest of the scene. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@YongZura⁷ I have already planned to write an analysis about the connection between Alice in Wonderland and The King... but it will take some time.

As expected... Well take your time ... There're still more clues to come.  There's a fusion of the west and east folk tale + the writer's own creativity and for us to interpret it.  Opps forgot plus the scientific facts and findings etc...

p.s

1. Thanks for the tag.

2. It took me a while to see JET ;)

@bpwinces! That is so beautiful... :wub: 

• Like 7

Actually i was a little suprised when JTE lookinh for Ahn Bong Hee (her mother) with description " a women who has similar face with me" and she lean on her face to the lady she spoke to.

As it was happen 25 years ago and her mother passed away when she was 5 y.o, the timeline suddenly became too related that i cannot ignore.

And in the preview (eventhough i try not to rely on this since often misleading) seen that LR watched the photo of SJ walk and smile with JTE. 

He must've be notice something since he says that he will visit often the cafe

• Like 5