[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

I'm seeing double in some of the posts here ... just like the doppelganger in this drama.  Some of  the thought that have been mentioned in the earlier post is being mentioned again ... in a later posts.  I wish that some of us including me could take a little bit of time more to backread a few pages behind especially during the gap while waiting for the new episodes. 

However I understand since it is a HOT thread and we do have our own time limit in being here we're not able to read everything and sometimes have to skip some posts.  Thus forgive me too if I'm also repeating the same point, just tag me if i missed some of the important points.  Thank you.

p.s Extra tip - if you read from the latest to the earliest post you'll be able to read two posts at one time. (The OP and the response)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

'The King-Lord of Eternity' Lee Min-ho, Kim Eun-eun, Ashok Reunion ... Breaking emotional explosion

2020050332459312.jpg

Reporter Park Dong-je of Break News = 'The King-Lord of Eternity' Lee Min-ho and Kim Eun-eun exploded 'Chestful sensibility' with 'love reunion' of 'desperate' crossing the Korean Empire and Korea.

The 6th episode of SBS Geumto drama 'The King-Lord of Eternity' (played by Kim Eun-suk / Director Sang-hoon Baek, Ji-hyun Hyun / production Hwa & Dam Pictures) broadcasted on the 2nd is based on Nielsen Korea, 7.9% in the metropolitan area, 10.5% in the second part, 2049 viewership 5.8%. At the moment, the highest viewership rate was 11.9%, ranking first in all channels at the same time for six consecutive times.

credit: http://www.breaknews.com/728061

• Like 7

On 5/2/2020 at 6:34 AM, Dramafreak said:

@Jillia: sorry. I didnt know that it was an illegal website.

It still showed, like i said, on one of this program's discussion pages yesterday, so I picked it from there.

Will keep this in mind and avoid links :)

Thanks.

I thought I saw a link to SBS web site where you can watch all SBS dramas. That isn't an illegal web site is it?

• Like 3

Update:
Last scene of episode 6 views: 175,544  , 2624 Like, and 690 comments
Below are some of the new roughly translated comments. :glasses:
hl7
이민호 목소리에 한번 김고은 눈빛에 두번 치인다ㅠㅠㅠ 이을 커플 너무 예뻐
with voice of Lee Min-ho, Kim Go-eun is hit twice in the eyes and this couple is so pretty.

bibl ****
눈물 차오르는것봐 어떻게해 저 세상사랑을 어이할꼬
See how my tears are falling.

Konan
몇 번을 보는지...봐도봐도 가슴 먹먹아 태을이가 날 울리네요. 이곤태을 커플 이제 사랑시작인데 왜 마음이 이리 아린지....6회 엔딩 정말 명장면이네요
How many times you see ... Even if you look at it, the heart will sound like I'm crying. Couple of Lee Gon-tae Eul is starting to love from now, but why his heart is so beautiful .... The 6th ending is really a great scene. 

Dooly
하진짜 ost도랏.....가사 무슨일이야 너무 좋은데 슬프잖아
 real  ost, what's up with the lyrics, it is so good but so sad. 

babyzin
너무 재미있어요~~
It's so fun ~~

sunflower
역시 6화까지 봐야 스토리를 알게되는구나 이제 김고은이 민호에게 빠져드는구나~막~재밌어지고 음악도 한층 깊어줬네 ~역시 사랑하는 사람을 못보다가 갑자기 나타나면 나라도 뛰어가서 안기겠다. 강~설레잖아 일주일 기둘리기 힘들어요작가님 드뎌 김은숙 작가님이 출연자들 모두에게 캐릭터를 확실히 심어줘서 다들 주인공갔이 재밌네요 득히 호텔델루나에서 나온 저승사자 지금은 강력게 장미로 활약하시는분 너무웃겨요 귀하게 컸데 완전웃겨~

After seeing the episode 6, you know the story. Now, Kim Go-eun is falling in love with Min-ho. Kang ~ It's exciting. It's hard to wait a week. The artist finally got the character Kim Eun-suk planted characters for all of the performers. It's funny. It's so funny ~

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@cpt_falcon You mentioned that SJ's doppelganger was in Japan... how did you come to this thought?

Like I said in my post, I had really nothing to base it on, just thought it might be an interesting twist. ;)  

As for Luna, JTE and the connection to the moon rabbit. Luna is the white rabbit for LG and not JTE.

I haven't read the character descriptions yet and maybe there's something already in there to refute this, but are we definitely sure Luna and JTE are two different characters?  What I've been wondering is if Luna IS JTE, but just JTE from the future.  Like a future version of JTE who's possibly been working alongside a future version of LG to try to avert some catastrophic event LR possibly causes, all the while "Luna" sick/dying of cancer.

That doesn't necessarily mean present!JTE will die of cancer, but if Luna is future!JTE?  It could be she warns either present!JTE and/or present!LG and the cancer is caught in time to treat it. 

ETA.  @enigmatic_zephy
 mentions the Luna=JTE possibility in this post as well. 

Admittedly, "Luna's" cancer aside, t
here is an appeal to me this idea future versions of LG and JTE working together, time-traveling, trying to stop some massive (future) catastrophe that maybe not only effects LG's world, but JTE's too.  It already seems to be strongly hinted with the time-freezing something is very wrong and it's not just happening in one world, but both.  Hence, the only one in Korea's world who's in the know and the people she cares about in her world (and her world in general), JTE would be insistent on having a hand in trying to stop (future)LR from what he does alongside LG.  That whatever it is LR may have planned?  He either doesn't care the consequences of his actions or he's actively TRYING to cause an apocalypse. 

I have wondered about LR's mental state, obviously aside from being a cold-blooded killer, but this current LR seems truly unwell to me?   Him not even flinching with the lightning scar goes across his face?  This almost quiet (if creepy and cold) uncle demeanor?  He's more frightening now to me than the wild-eyed braggart covered in blood who just murdered LG's father and taunted LG finally being useful (before trying to strangle him).

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

3 hours ago, rocat said:

The seeds JTE planted in the magical realm is the mimosa (相思花) also known as forget-me-nots

what a way to send a signal. :wub:.

16 hours ago, DramaAddicted said:

Just a little curiosity about the flower that JTE bought from KOC... The subtitle in my language called this flower ‘Lycoris’ or a ‘spider lily’ while in English they called it imaginary flower. So I searched it based on korean character ‘상사화’(Sang as hwa-Magic Lily). The meaning of this flower came from the sad story of one side love/forbidden love and one of them died from mind disease. A flower grows up on that person’s grave. Lycoris itself in korean/japanese belief also represent death & resurrection. Anyone has more knowledge about this flower? I think it can foreshadow something in the future about LTE couple.

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

18 hours ago, SweetButters said:

I found this image of the moon rabbit legend and how they are always standing under a gyesu tree (@keikokoko had mentioned earlier how it was an acacia confusa tree, but im not sure if a gyesu tree and acacia confusa tree are the same). Anyways I just thought I would share that connection about the yellow tree and your "moon rabbit" theory.

21 hours ago, Keikokoko said:

YTE bought and planted seeds of Acacia Confusa (想思樹  is the the Chinese character written on the packet). Korean used Chinese characters in ancient time I think, like Japanese Kanji. The tree with yellow flowers is Acacia Confusa, which is what YTE planted in the space (dimension) between universes. In Taiwan or East Asian literature, this tree carries meaning of longing and thinking of love ones. The opening credit starts with this tree is quite foretelling. I just hope that we don't end up with LG trapped in this dimension with this tree longing and thinking of JTE eternally. 

On 10/25/2019 at 9:37 AM, syntyche said:

The house features a tall ginkgo tree that stands in a corner of the large courtyard. It was said that “The House with the Ginkgo Tree” was selected by the producers themselves. In particular, the ginkgo tree will be vital to the story. Because the target broadcast date is in 2020, it is expected that filming should be completed by the first half of next year.

https://www.hellokpop.com/kdrama/first-filming-day-lee-min-ho-kim-go-eun-the-king-the-eternal-monarch/

Biggest question of the episode: what did JTE plant? 

We’ve come up with 3 different translations, 1 tree belonging to the moon rabbit folktale, and 1 tree linked to earlier reports of the king. 

We’ve all come to one similar conclusion though, that whatever she planted may be the tree we see at the beginning of each episode. All the trees suggested has one thing in common: they are yellow. Mimosas can come in different colors and yellow is one of them. I tried doing further research but couldn’t find anything on gyesu trees. Is it possible it is a tree that only exists in the folktale? But with magic involved in this story, I can’t rule it out either. What’s more mind boggling to me is that this drama made me do research on math, literature and now trees! :lol:

Until we get clarity on the translation, I’m going to stick with it’s some magical seeds that will sprout into a ginkgo tree. I’m going to believe earlier sources until proven wrong :D. Unless we are all wrong and what she planted is not what we see in the intro and they are actually two separate things. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 17

16 hours ago, DramaAddicted said:

Just a little curiosity about the flower that JTE bought from KOC... The subtitle in my language called this flower ‘Lycoris’ or a ‘spider lily’ while in English they called it imaginary flower. So I searched it based on korean character ‘상사화’(Sang as hwa-Magic Lily). The meaning of this flower came from the sad story of one side love/forbidden love and one of them died from mind disease. A flower grows up on that person’s grave. Lycoris itself in korean/japanese belief also represent death & resurrection. Anyone has more knowledge about this flower? I think it can foreshadow something in the future about LTE couple.

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

It's indeed the magic lily - the drawing on the package matches that flower. One thing about this flower is that when it blossoms, the leaves stop growing - so the flowers and the leaves "can never meet". In Korean culture it represents the longing emotions between fated lovers, hence the name "sangsahwa" (flower of longing)

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 5
  • Insightful 6
  • Thanks 5

On 5/1/2020 at 6:25 PM, Samuel Yohanes said:

Guys i had a question..

Why in the math presentation, in the last slide they shows south korea flag???? 

Isnt the corea had different flag?

I searched through 20 pages just to find your comment :lol:. It’s been at the back of my mind and bothering me for some time now. Finally, I had time to check and I suggest rewatching the scene again. You’ll notice they are not the same.

flag-800.png

This is the Korean flag. The three full strips on the top left corner is on the top right corner of the Corean flag. They are a mirror of each other but not the same. :D

I wish I can include photos of the this particular scene but unfortunately, I cannot take screenshots on Netflix. 

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 5

1 hour ago, cpt_falcon said:

Like I said in my post, I had really nothing to base it on, just thought it might be an interesting twist. ;)  

I haven't read the character descriptions yet and maybe there's something already in there to refute this, but are we definitely sure Luna and JTE are two different characters?  What I've been wondering is if Luna IS JTE, but just JTE from the future.  Like a future version of JTE who's possibly been working alongside a future version of LG to try to avert some catastrophic event LR possibly causes, all the while "Luna" sick/dying of cancer.

That doesn't necessarily mean present!JTE will die of cancer, but if Luna is future!JTE?  It could be she warns either present!JTE and/or present!LG and the cancer is caught in time to treat it.

Well, Luna is definitely a doppelganger of JTE. She is working with Lee Rim, as she has no identity in LG's world. This is mentioned in her character description. She is not someone from the future.

Like I had mentioned it before, the parallel world Mon. Corea is a reflection of Repu. Korea hence we have the mirror in this picture image.png

Look at the reflection of LG: upside down..

Since it is a reflection, it means that people from Mon. Corea are living the opposite of their life in Rep. Korea, we can name many examples:

- Luna: thief and has cancer ≠ JTE: detective and healthy

- Lee Rim's doppelganger: weak, suffered from poliomyelitis ≠ Lee Rim: strong warrior, healthy

- Ji Hun's father was a violent man and had a lot of debts ≠ LG's father was caring and was the richest man in the country

- ES: seems to be married, caring, warm and funny, relaxed  ≠ YJ is distant, works a lot, has no family on his own, serious 

- LSD: gambler, married with three kids, poor ≠ we don't know yet, but he seems to be close to LJI (due to the cellphone). So my assumption is that his wife followed him with the kids and his doppelganger was not married. 

- the pregnant woman in Rep. Korea, pregnant without a partner, living in hell ≠ the granddaughter of the founder of a large pharmaceutical company marries the first son of a rich family

That's why I suspect that SJ is actually someone from Mon. Corea who was switched and sent to the other world... in Rep. Korea, we hear that his family's company went bankruptcy but strangely, he has not been killed. We see that both mothers still exist which led me to the conclusion that LR could have seduced SJ's mother to go to Rep. Korea by telling her that her doppelganger was living a very nice life and didn't need to work. In Mon. Corea, SJ's mother is not gambling, but spying for Lee Rim and works as a tea lady.  

@YongZura⁷ @mrsj3n

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 5

25 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

Until we get clarity on the translation

Never Iike to watch with subtitles as it subjects to translator's personal view and how deep his/her language and culture understanding is. Unfortunately Korean isn't one of many Eastern Asian languages I speak. Can't help but have to rely on subtitles. 

On the tree in opening credit, I had mistaken the seed sowed by JTE was "相思樹 ( tree)". After rewatching again,  it's "相思花 (flower)" not tree. Nevertheless, the meaning of "相思" itself carries yearning,  longing, thinking of loved ones. I think someone had pointed the wrong translation on subtitle previously.  That said, my original interpretation was wrong about the tree with yellow canopy. If it's  Kinkgo tree like you suspected, it would be longevity. 

If this location where tree and flowers exist is the in-between path as we are all sleuthing here, then other than JTE sowing flower seeds as we saw it, they or someone must have come and planted the tree at some point of time. But when did organic life begin in this space where LG described it as impossible. 

Another thought is that this isn't where JTE planted seeds but the end of that path where LG said he would travel to and come back to tell JTE all about it. It's the zero of all zeros and the origin, beginning and end of all universes. 

Everyone here are all contributing thoughts from their investigative observations. It makes watching this drama so much more fun. Thanks!! 

• Like 13
  • Insightful 4

This is just the sort of series that's a hotbed of speculation and that just contributes to my love for it.  I love deep-diving into thought-provoking stories and storytelling with fellow fans.  This show is a gift!

I'm sitting here rewatching ep6 and I noticed a few more things....

The parallels (and contrasts) between JTE's father and LG cooking.  Also their different reactions re: attentiveness to JTE.   The funny moment JTE's father was more upset about the horse (and missing his talks with LG around the horse, but mostly missing the horse :lol: ) having gone than even realizing JTE had gone anywhere at all.  The way I feel like they're depicting JTE's father here in the story could be symbolic in the sense of the transition of JTE going from one stage of life (a child still living at home and needing her father's protection) to a grown woman about ready to leave the house & forge her own path in life.  I suppose if we looked at it in the sense of the Hero's Journey, JTE about to head off on a Call to Adventure and when she comes back, she'll be changed/won't be the same. 

Meanwhile LG seems hyper-aware of JTE, can't seem to stop staring at her when she's in a room with him.  Seems to take advantage of every opportunity to touch her / prolong touching her (the sudden scientific dissertation on the moon's characteristics to keep holding her hand LOL).  Every time JTE brought up the possibility of leaving around LG, he either looked like a kicked puppy or flat-out said she couldn't leave (obviously I didn't think he was serious in forcing her to stay "with one command", but it's evident he didn't want her to leave him).  Concerned if she'd been lonely in his world, the sweet tapping foreheads (:wub:) and the cooking had been especially for her.  When JTE walked into the kitchen in her father's house, he'd already been cooking and not for her (and whining about missing the horse LOL).

In other words, one man represents JTE's past (her father) and the other her future (LG).  It doesn't mean JTE's father doesn't love her, but I took it as a symbolic transition of JTE's character.  She's detaching from the remnants of her childhood self and becoming the woman (Hero) she's meant to become.

Did a future version of LG steal JTE's ID badge from Lady Noh's room?  I thought initially it maybe was one of the spies in the palace (either working for LR or the prime minister) who may have taken the ID badge, but with the time travel possibility, I wondered if it was a future!LG who may have snuck in and taken it.  Obviously security isn't going to find LG walking around his own palace suspicious, but LG would also know where all the cameras are to avoid them and how to maneuver around Lady Noh's room while she was asleep as not to wake her.  Though due to my fear that Lady Noh may die (she could die of natural causes as she is old, but that seems wishful thinking.  LG also mentioned Lady Noh still being strong/spry despite her age.  LR probably kills her if she dies to hurt/get revenge on LG :(), it could also have been, aside from taking the badge, future!LG wanting to see his adoptive grandma one more time if she's dead in his timeline.   If Lady Noh dies, regardless of the reason,  I'll probably be a mess and you know LMH would deliver in that scene.

If future!LG took the badge, it could be that badge he takes with him 25 years in the past and drops / his 10-yr-old self grabs.

Come to think of it, if it was a future version of LG who took the badge and see Lady Noh one last time, he may have took one last look at JTE too (she was still in the palace at the time the badge was taken), because god knows what happens to her in the future.  Future!LG taking one last look at JTE, the woman he loves, at the very start of their relationship (before he possibly goes back in time 25 years ... to sacrifice himself?  The confrontation with past!LR and his goons didn't kill him, but if that painful lightning scar appears just withi passing between parallel universes, what would happen if someone goes back 25 years in the past?  Probably nothing good).

The hand/wrist LG wears JTE's hair tie is the same one that JTE grabs when she took his fingerprints.   This could be a coincidence, but with such a detail-oriented show like this one, it's hard to tell.  Though when it comes to JTE and her hair tie (or tying her hair back), there have been a few key moments in their dynamic.  We saw a moment LG became intimidated by/scared of JTE when she pulled her hair back :lol:, though she'd also been pulling her hair back during that time freeze during that "saw something beautiful" moment.  Her hair is also pulled back in the badge he had for 25 years.  His beautiful savior policewoman with her hair pulled back.

• Like 16
  • Awesome 3

Hello Everyone, WOW!!! this thread is moving like the speed of light!!!!! it took me quite a while to catch up and i had to skip quite a bit. Ya'll have a really good theories and insight and that makes watching this drama a lot more interesting and definitely help me (and others) understand the storyline better.

I had to take break from trolling this Drama online and also avoid paying attention to ratings. I love it but i found that whatever is being put online making me question my taste etc etc....and to think about it, i'm one those people who likes it when the show they watch to be rather that Hidden Gem and only select people will understand. Honestly never thought that i had to put my thinking cap on, by watching LMH and KGE Drama hehe....

What a weekend! and i feel like Episode 5-6 has a lot more footing in terms of where the Drama is going. Although I get the dramas and the characters even before, but.... for the sake of the Drama and the production, I'm glad that the story is coming together and i feel like we are heading for a storm next week (Can't wait!!!!) and Ratings went up!!!yay!!!

My take on Ep 5-6 is both light and heavy.

I like that we are seeing all the clues and hints are started to come together, Like JTE murder case, now she knows it goes beyond her world and connected to Lee Gon's world.

-Lee Gon confirmed his theory that his Uncle isn't dead is in fact truth and not merely his calculation.

-Lee Rim's plan is being uncovered more and more. Obviously getting close to the people around Lee Gon. 

-The romance develop more (That Hug in the end..sigh...) and love the background music for our OTP scene. Also I love...love...the Kitchen Scene. It's another tender moment between our couple, just like the one in Bamboo forest. Those moment is needed to bring more foundation into their relationship, since many felt it's a bit rushed and also they don't connect with the romance just yet. I'm on the other hand, ship them so hard in real life, i'm so blinded i see no flaws in their romance :D.

And, the moment she calls him by name, that was really sweet. 

-A Bit more character development For PM. I love that She knows how to lead and make decision. Not just pretty face who is after the King 

-The Tree is a mystery for me and i had fun reading up all of your theories. Ya'll are so resourceful with your searching and i'm thankful for it, cause that's the one storyline i choose to wait until it's being revealed.

The Editing is a bit sloppy, but i can tell that they are trying to adapt the style from Western/Hollywood Movies. the "In Between" world scene, i wish it would be a bit more obvious instead of putting it after they crossed the dimension.

Ok, Don't hate me, But am i the only one feel like the Kiss a little bit flat and rushed. It's cute and sweet. But, it lacks that sparks and magic. Maybe i have such expectation knowing how each actor has done their kiss scene, i was expecting a bit more passion???and i wish that JTE would at least close her eyes instead of staring. The Hug at the end had more impact and emotional weight for me as their feeling are now mutual.

But, i understand that maybe this was not meant to be that magical Kiss, it was just Lee Gon can't control himself (hello, didn't he just told JTE that if she spending the night she would be sleeping in his room?)hehe.... and it was him trying to make a point to tae Eul and also answer her question. So i understand the reasons behind it, but i wish they would hold off and wait until there is mutual feeling and we would get a better one.

Also, I'm wishing that Woo Do Hwan would get more screen time and character development, He did the opposite characters so well. I want more depth cause he is a good actor. I'm excited to see him meeting his doppledangers in the next episode.

While the War scene is a well shot scene, i hope it has something to do with the plot(Like it connects to Lee Rim or something), otherwise it look kinda odd and out of place in the Drama. I get that its meant to show Lee Gon's authority as the king and him handling the affairs of His country, but with so many storyline and plots in this drama, i want them to focus on the story that really matters for the plot moving forward. Not to mentioned it would be deemed as another scene to show off the actor for no apparent reason.

I can't really grasp how this ending would be for our OTP. The Goal is to close the gate and stop Lee Rim doing his evil plans. But how will it effect LG and JTE? Im Hoping KES will close this Drama with Happy Ending considering her last two, but even with reading theories and try to make up my own, i can't seem to see a way for them to be together, unless one of them would leave their world OR their world becomes 1 after the gate being close, but i doubt that. 

Somebody here mention how if there is a time Loop, this will be the 998th time since there are "The King 997" username. and will this End with Lee Gon keep on looping to get things right until he can be together with JTE or... He would have to loop over and over again just to be with JTE? Thinking about the ending and the OST from Davichi, im gonna need a lot of Tissue. I had not cried over Kdrama since "Autumn in My Heart". it's been a long timeeeee.

• Like 15
  • Love 3

Episode 6 -

@YongZura⁷ - read your post at top of the page about doubling, apologies in advance if I do :)

First off, we just have to recognize the PMs aide for his foresight on the Kings heli diversion to Seoul - PM better start listening to the man. Loved watching the PM steam, while watching LG & JTE walkoff together, and then later when shes getting angry that LG laughed for JTE and not her - the inevitable confrontation is going to be great! 

The scene in the Helicopter - Loved that LG figured out what the aide was thinking just by watching her stare, and JYs annoyance at at the two of them was priceless - can one of meme gurus spoof that scene for us from JYs POV? @briseis @Ameera Ali ?

The Kitchen scene - this scene was touching in that LG knows JTE is going to leave but doesn't want her too, while at the same time JTE wants to be with him but feels she can't - the part where LG halfheartedly jokes he could keep her there with one word, is positively heartbreaking. He wants her to stay with him, but he wants her to want it too. JTEs observation that she cannot beat anyone form LGs world because shes not, was equally heartbreaking - this was all around a really great scene.

The background on JTE & SJ - I'm with you guys here, I thinks its becoming more and more obvious, hes from Corea.

Sea Battle - Sorry LG fans, JY wins for sharpest uniform - I'll spare you all my critique of them wearing dress uniforms in a combat situation for another day. :lol:

Cross world investigations - Now that JTE has figured out the recording is from Corea + JY finally convincing himself that there are parallel worlds, I think we are in for a treat as JY will start to work undercover as ES in ROK - can you imagine him trying to blend in in ROK - fun times ahead  - Looking forward to JTE and JY working together and building a real friendship in future episodes

JY & Seung-A  - these two need more screen time :wub:  Loved how she thought he was just trying to get her picture :lol: Please let them end up together.

Preview of ep 7 - JY wins - that scene of JY aiming at ES with LG sitting there looking amused is tops for the preview - can't wait!

Only 5 more days guys - hang in there!

LCO

• Like 9
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 2

@bebebisous33

It is interesting to see the mirror like difference of the people between both world and at the same time scary if that part of fiction in this drama becomes a reality.   Thank you for detailing the characters of both world. There's one thing that I wonder about - LR's driver  and the bookshop owner --- He keeps both of them .... I guess for his benefit too.

As for ES - in the character's description, the twins were written as his younger siblings ...

@LeftCoastOppa  B) Yours are fine ... yours are not what I was referring too.

@cpt_falcon I'm loving  your description in this part - The parallels (and contrasts) between JTE's father and LG cooking. 

At first when her father asked her the whereabouts of  Max.. I was thinking that, that was his way of asking indirectly where the owner of the horse was B)

@Heretorant and @Samuel Yohanes When they showed the meeting room, both flags  - the country and the royal flags were at the back of the President.  I also remembered the question but failed in finding it:ph34r:

• Like 13

I have a theory that Luna is not from Kingdom of Corea but from a third alternative world. Remember JTE's fingerprints couldn't find anyone similar in KOC but the villian's fingerprints matched his doppelganger when they found him dead. They couldn't find Lee Gon's fingerprints in ROK because his doppelganger was killed when he was a boy. I have this theory that there is no doppelganger of JTE that is from KOC but the doppelganger that running around in the bunny hoodie is from a third parallel universe.

11 hours ago, Heretorant said:

I searched through 20 pages just to find your comment :lol:. It’s been at the back of my mind and bothering me for some time now. Finally, I had time to check and I suggest rewatching the scene again. You’ll notice they are not the same.

This is the Korean flag. The three full strips on the top left corner is on the top right corner of the Corean flag. They are a mirror of each other but not the same. :D

I wish I can include photos of the this particular scene but unfortunately, I cannot take screenshots on Netflix. 

The KOC flag is the same flag as the Korean Empire flag founded in 1897. Which I believe is when the Kingdom of Corea was founded. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 3

4 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

That's why I suspect that SJ is actually someone from Mon. Corea who was switched and sent to the other world... in Rep. Korea, we hear that his family's company went bankruptcy but strangely, he has not been killed. We see that both mothers still exist which led me to the conclusion that LR could have seduced SJ's mother to go to Rep. Korea by telling her that her doppelganger was living a very nice life and didn't need to work. In Mon. Corea, SJ's mother is not gambling, but spying for Lee Rim and works as a tea lady.  

I'm with you on this. I also thought that SJ from RoK is really from Corea and was swapped when he was a kid. This really makes so much sense. Thank you for your insight! 

I am currently rewatching the series from Episode 1. I noticed that in the first few minutes, LG was shown riding his horse in the bamboo forest, holding the sword, as if he was about to cross the world bringing the sword with him. I wonder if this particular scene will be significant in the future? 

The other things I want to know are

1. When does LR plan to attack LG? It was shown in the preview that LR has the picture of JTE as well. Remember that LR kills the better version of the doppelgangers in Corea, then bring their corpses to RoK, then transfer the alive doppelgangers from RoK to Corea to be his spies/minions. I believe that he has pictures of his victims. We all know that JTE won't die, not just yet. So waiting for her to be killed before attacking LG seems impossible.

2. Why does he have the pictures of SJ and JTE? What will he get from killing them (given that he is not aware yet that JTE is LG's lover) when Luna, who is the "bad" version of JTE is already in Corea?  There is no need for him to kill JTE then.

3. If he knows that JTE is LG's lover, does he plan to swap Luna to JTE's place to deceive LG? Does he not think LG will notice right away? This theory does not seem too plausible.

4. What about SJ? Why does he need him? Is the SJ of Corea still alive or dead already?  I wonder why they have not showed us yet when we already saw the doppelgangers of most of the main characters except the PM's and SJs. 

5. If SJ of Corea is already dead, then will he use SJ of RoK to harm LG? How?

6. They showed us about SJ having a strong integrity, when he refused the bribe of the gambler boss. Why did they have to show that to us? Convincing SJ of RoK to be bad will be difficult. Will LR use JTE as a leverage and blackmail SJ to harm LG just to save JTE? ( I don't know if this makes sense though) 

Argh. I just have a lot of questions that I hope to be answered in the next episodes. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, scrawford said:

Ok, Don't hate me, But am i the only one feel like the Kiss a little bit flat and rushed. It's cute and sweet. But, it lacks that sparks and magic. Maybe i have such expectation knowing how each actor has done their kiss scene, i was expecting a bit more passion???and i wish that JTE would at least close her eyes instead of staring. The Hug at the end had more impact and emotional weight for me as their feeling are now mutual.

But, i understand that maybe this was not meant to be that magical Kiss, it was just Lee Gon can't control himself (hello, didn't he just told JTE that if she spending the night she would be sleeping in his room?)hehe.... and it was him trying to make a point to tae Eul and also answer her question. So i understand the reasons behind it, but i wish they would hold off and wait until there is mutual feeling and we would get a better one.

While the War scene is a well shot scene, i hope it has something to do with the plot(Like it connects to Lee Rim or something), otherwise it look kinda odd and out of place in the Drama. I get that its meant to show Lee Gon's authority as the king and him handling the affairs of His country, but with so many storyline and plots in this drama, i want them to focus on the story that really matters for the plot moving forward. Not to mentioned it would be deemed as another scene to show off the actor for no apparent reason.

I can't really grasp how this ending would be for our OTP. The Goal is to close the gate and stop Lee Rim doing his evil plans. But how will it effect LG and JTE? Im Hoping KES will close this Drama with Happy Ending considering her last two, but even with reading theories and try to make up my own, i can't seem to see a way for them to be together, unless one of them would leave their world OR their world becomes 1 after the gate being close, but i doubt that. 

Somebody here mention how if there is a time Loop, this will be the 998th time since there are "The King 997" username. and will this End with Lee Gon keep on looping to get things right until he can be together with JTE or... He would have to loop over and over again just to be with JTE? Thinking about the ending and the OST from Davichi, im gonna need a lot of Tissue. I had not cried over Kdrama since "Autumn in My Heart". it's been a long timeeeee.

Sorry chingu, I cut your post short. 

The kiss - Yes, it is exactly as you said: not meant to be magical. You and I touched up on it before it happened right? We agreed we want a soulful kiss and only when the moment is right . This one was not it. I didn’t mind it so much because of the way JTE responded. If she had been just as passionate back, I would raise an eyebrow. But she was a bit standoffish. She didn’t seem to love it but also didn’t seem to hate it. And more so than the kiss, I enjoyed their conversation afterwards. I really like how Lee Gon realized where JTE stood. At least he figured there was a line between them and he hadn’t quite succeed in crossing over. Maybe I wish they would have hold off too but then we wouldn’t get moments of JTE reminiscing and possibly regretting she didn’t kiss him back lol. After episode 6, I believe they’re at the point where a kiss would make absolute sense. A soulful, passionate one! 

The war - There’s plenty of speculations that the war with Japan will play a bigger part of the plot. I don’t know if it’ll involve Lee Rim but I do believe this is not the last time we’ll see Japan. Will they really retreat after 1 attempt? I think they feel humiliated and will want revenge. But regardless, I believe the war played a big part in the story by making Corea seem more real. It’s the writer’s way of exploring the idea of if Corea was Korea today. While it doesn’t necessarily move the plot forward, it played a significance in solidifying the plot and the world of Corea. I actually quite like it because of that. :D

The end - The way you described it and the way everyone has been theorizing, it’s a little too sad, no? Honestly, if he is forever stuck in this loop to save JTE just to be with her, I would prefer to end it with a sad ending. I think there comes a point where you have to let go and move on. It’s too pitiful for him to live his life over and over again just to try and save her. In that case, I will fully accept if the ending we get is the one where Lee Gon decides to stop the loop. It’s heartbreaking and I will cry a river but at least it’ll mean he’s learned to move on. Unless the writer wants to make him save her by the end, which I am ok with too. But over 998 times of redoing it, then my king, it is time to give up and let her go. 

1 hour ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Sea Battle - Sorry LG fans, JY wins for sharpest uniform - I'll spare you all my critique of them wearing dress uniforms in a combat situation for another day. :lol:

If you ask me, I say the real winner here is the duo! They’re seriously the hottest duo to have ever graced the screen! :lol:

3 hours ago, Keikokoko said:

If this location where tree and flowers exist is the in-between path as we are all sleuthing here, then other than JTE sowing flower seeds as we saw it, they or someone must have come and planted the tree at some point of time. But when did organic life begin in this space where LG described it as impossible. 

Another thought is that this isn't where JTE planted seeds but the end of that path where LG said he would travel to and come back to tell JTE all about it. It's the zero of all zeros and the origin, beginning and end of all universes. 

Everyone here are all contributing thoughts from their investigative observations. It makes watching this drama so much more fun. Thanks!! 

Sorry for cutting your post short, chingu. 

First and foremost, thank you for the translation.

Secondly, I’m particularly intrigued at your comment about how the tree may be where the end is. If Lee Gon travels to the end and the end is indeed Zero, then it is both the beginning and the end. Doesn’t that mean he will have gone nowhere? His MSD calculation would be zero, unless I am totally wrong and have no idea how to calculate MSD lol. Many people are confused and saying the writer is not giving anything and leaving them to guess but I think all the hints are there. What’s with Lee Gon and his obsession with zero? Isn’t it totally hinting that the ending of this drama is the beginning? 

I can’t believe we’re really discussing the meaning of zero :lol:

• Like 13
  • Insightful 1