[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

20 hours ago, The.Lannister said:

And I must add that I seriously love the main villain. So far all his scenes are of him alone without any help from any of the other main actors but he carries all the scenes quite well. I am so impressed with his acting!!:) And he is already knocking at JTE's door now. Things are going to get very interesting

Lee Jung Jin became famous since the drama "Love story in Harvard", after that he starred in "9 end 2 outs" very well. In 2013, LJJ also played in the drama " A Hundred Year Inheritance" with Engene, the film on topic of family, humor, romance. If you have time, check out these three dramas.

D72liXc.jpg

3btW4dK.jpg

• Like 8

56 minutes ago, asul_03 said:

if she's sporting a short hair, she's seung-ah. otherwise, she's na-ri.:)

Seung-ah..the preview one had shorter hair...

I think LG's Doctor Uncle and LR have a showdown in next episode and uncle dies...Kudos to the actor playing LR..he sends chill and is handsome devil ;)

If the worlds are actually in infinte Time-Loop then its another level of story. Imagine if someone were to write a fanfiction out of TKEM they have plethora of subplots available.:star:

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks!
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Alice Wonderland said:

@jerboa83 I guess there's a different time between Korea and Corea or I'm not paying attention to its sequences. It seems TE waits LG for days or weeks as she narrated that there's quite long period before he comes back while the sea battle lasted for a night, no??

Maybe LG was busy with the aftermath of the battle and the subsequent negotiations for a few days...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alice Wonderland said:

@jerboa83 I guess there's a different time between Korea and Corea or I'm not paying attention to its sequences. It seems TE waits LG for days or weeks as she narrated that there's quite long period before he comes back while the sea battle lasted for a night, no?? But the scenes of those battles looks so great. How those Japanese insisted to keep speeding up and crossing the Corean sea and how the king deals with it. 

Bad editing again. The battle scenes should have come before TE's narrative, not after. I could feel the disconnect when in narrative TE said she waited for a long time (which made me feel weeks or months had passed from the day she left). But come the next scene, we were brought back to the day she left - the sea battle!

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

I am anticipating new stills for Ep 7 and 8 and my good friend reminded me of these scenes that were in the 5minute trailer. :wub: I wonder when are we getting them? I mean... JTE grabbed LG's hands...I'm okay... :tears::wub:

--

Also, we were discussing earlier that the seeds planted by JTE in the world between 1 and 0 could possibly be the tree at the beginning of the title sequence? I'm not sure if that has been brought up but if so... my mind is blown at  the possibility!

64e50ec38e5aea642e58216950e68f381a61f3b1

src

Spoiler

The-King-Eternal-Monarch-releases-new-te

• Like 6
  • Love 5
  • Insightful 3

21 hours ago, ShizukaT said:

I think now uncle saw Eun-sop, he might bring him to exchange with Jo Yeong? But Eun-sop is already on the same side with the King haha. I still think there must be something there, the scene uncle met Eun-sop.

The evil uncle can kidnap Eun-sop's siblings then blackmail him to do things. Uncle was also trying to win over Shinjae to his side. At first with a direct bribe,  failing which, through his mom. In Shinjae, thank goodness he failed. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

This is what I found about the Dragon King of the East Sea.

folktale rabbit and Dragon King (page 367 ff.)

I find it quite interesting that the writer mentioned the King Sinmum and the Silla dynasty because the folktale about the rabbit and the Dragon king is connected to him as well. 

What caught my attention is that the rabbit is here quite clever, although he is manipulated by the turtle. On the other hand, the Dragon King, although powerful, is quite stupid. We have a lot of fables, where the rabbit is not described as an innocent and selfless animal, quite the opposite, unlike the moon rabbit. I could mention the fable of the rabbit and the turtle... here the rabbit is quite arrogant and overlooks the turtle's perseverance. In other words, Luna as the white rabbit and the moon rabbit could have other qualities (cleverness, even arrogance ...) and let us not forget that LG is also associated to the white rabbit, like I wrote it before.

As conclusion, I have the feeling that our writer has used a lot of tales for her story and not just Alice in Wonderland. Hence I couldn't help myself thinking of the tale: Pied Piper of Hamelin. There are some parallels between our k-drama and this folktale:

1. We have the flute which is supposed to bring peace and protection (disease would disappear, rain would fall during drought etc...) and the pied piper used his flute in order to gather all the rats that were invading the city Hamelin. As you can see, when the flute was played, the rats disappeared from the city. So the flute did help the citizens.
  2. Yet since the pied piper wasn't paid, he decided to get revenge and played the flute. This time, all the children were influenced by the music and left Hamelin. Their parents couldn't stop them. This time, the flute brought misery and chaos. Striking is that in our k-drama, Lee Rim is partially the owner of the flute. He also seduces people from Rep. Korea to disappear from their world and asked them to kill their doppelgangers. As conclusion, Lee Lim is using the flute with a bad intention. He brings chaos and misery. I could say that he can only use the flute for some bad purpose as he only owns the half of it. On the other hand, LG received the half of the flute that is used for a good purpose (see my first point above). He brought JTE to his world with a good intention and he will have to use it in order to bring peace and protection. This leads me to the conclusion that LG will have to use the flute in order to bring the rats (the citizens from Rep. Korea who were addicted to gambling, poor and ruthless) away from his country. Our protagonist LG should be perceived as the pied piper in the first phase.

@YongZura⁷ @ktcjdrama@sassylove:)      

• Like 7
  • Insightful 16

5 hours ago, Alice Wonderland said:

Do you guys see the preview?? LG finally gets the big lion doll! The king gets the lion king he wants for his girl. Awww... TE is so lucky! 

Could be the other way around... TE got the big lion doll for LG, bahahahahahahaha

• Like 5
  • LOL 9

ok, so hear me out on this. 

Is there any possibility that Shin Jae is Lee Gon in the other world?

I've wondered why Shin Jae is being built up so much when he's just the high school friend.

JTE doesn't even have romantic feelings for him so why the build up?

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

The seeds JTE planted in the magical realm is the mimosa (相思花) also known as forget-me-nots. 

what a way to send a signal. :wub:

i ve been reading the posts after watching the subbed eps and had a hard time catching up...

my mind has been in a turmoil after the chaste peck, the big bear hug and most of all the nipping of the ID card from the Court Lady’s room. I enjoyed the connection made as to how the ID landed in the hands of the savior. And also how it likely isn’t JTE cos wasn’t she in Seoul? But I’ve been wrong...

Deserving of credit are also the men in military uniforms , the let-me-see-your-scar discussion and the odd editing that was a test of our abilities to correctly sequence Kdrama shows on our own. 

I thought there are two distinct worlds here, but someone mentioned three? Hmmm..I feel like I am missing out on details and might go back and rewatch some eps as soon as real life allows. 

I do like the aggressive female PM. She’s annoying but politically ballsy and knows how to put the old condescending men in their place. 
I’d like for her to hv a good outcome too.

• Like 12
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, rocat said:

I do like the aggressive female PM. She’s annoying but politically ballsy and knows how to put the old condescending men in their place. 

One of my favorite characters aside from two main leads, king's guard, milk tea shop owner and their alternatives. I want to know her back story, how she came up in rank from humble and less privilege background. Maybe not in this drama's 16 episodes, which shall all be about King, but a stand-alone special afterwards. 

• Like 6