[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

5 hours ago, Aleenaaa said:

Read about the sickness of JTE's mother and came to know she died because of cancer. Luna has cancer too. Could there be any connection????

there's someone speculate that Luna could be JTE mother. JTE even said that her mother looked alike her... 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Spring Lady said:

there's someone speculate that Luna could be JTE mother. JTE even said that her mother looked alike her... 

I don't think so... They are played by the same actress and they really look the same. It wouldn't make much sense, either... 

• Like 4

@jerboa83 I guess there's a different time between Korea and Corea or I'm not paying attention to its sequences. It seems TE waits LG for days or weeks as she narrated that there's quite long period before he comes back while the sea battle lasted for a night, no?? But the scenes of those battles looks so great. How those Japanese insisted to keep speeding up and crossing the Corean sea and how the king deals with it. 

P.S. We use Luna as female names here. And the name itself sound very cute. I even named my late cat with this name. I miss her. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, jerboa83 said:

I don't think so... They are played by the same actress and they really look the same. It wouldn't make much sense, either... 

agree.. mother angle would defeat the purpose..

it is a time loop, she has to be some version of JTE.. although what i am curious to know is whee is LG previous version, the one who saved young LG in ep 1 (did he die? .. so at a time are there 3 LGs going around - baby LG in our world, baby LG in other world, and grown up LG waiting to save baby LG in another world)

Clearly timeloop is going on for the 988th time (given how many times the login id has been made)

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, jerboa83 said:

right.. but there might be plot twist, who knows right. but i can't wait, we finally can get to see Luna soon ::>_<::

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, tanakg00 said:

Is that Seung-Ah or Na-ri in ep 7 preview? The hair makes me think it's Seung-Ah while the apron make me think it's Na-ri.

I am confused as well. But we all known the image and sound sometimes don't match up in the preview.

• Like 2

'The King' Kim Go-eun, "I'm waiting" ... Lee Min-ho and Reunion 'Lovely Embrace'

http://sbsfune.sbs.co.kr/news/news_content.jsp?article_id=E10009896483

30000646690_1280.jpg

Perfect execution by the 2 main leads...portraying the 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' of the long distance relationship between them.

I mean, HECK! Talk about long distance...theirs are across universes  :tears:

• Like 4
  • Love 3

43 minutes ago, jerboa83 said:

It could be since the character description of Luna and JTE's mom both have cancer. If she lives time in the pink skied place between Korea and Corea, then she would not age. 

Maybe this is where LR spends most of his time as well, since he has barely aged since 1994. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, lacremedelameme said:

It could be since the character description of Luna and JTE's mom both have cancer. If she lives time in the pink skied place between Korea and Corea, then she would not age. 

Maybe this is where LR spends most of his time as well, since he has barely aged since 1994. 

I wonder how they spend much time there.  If there is no air, they can't breathe.  :lol:

• Like 4
  • LOL 5
  • Insightful 1

19 hours ago, The.Lannister said:

LMH was looking gorgeous in that uniform....same with WDH. I was a little surprised with them using an actual country, Japan in this attack on Corea. They could have just used some imaginary country. Wonder how the Japanese fans are seeing this. Maybe after the articles about the writer using Japanese symbols etc they felt a need to do things this way:blink: Also I was a little surprised that JTE left when she did, wasnt she worried about LG's safe return? As she has no way of knowing what happened in the war I found it strange that she just left without confirming that LG returned home safely...

interesting that you mention Japan. there has been an ongoing rift between SK & Japan from way back (not sure when, why & how), but recently refueled due to covid 19.  Japan imposed a travel ban on S.KOR which S.KOR did not take kindly to.  the battleship scenes reminded me of this.

NOTE:  paused to google the particulars. link below for reference...

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/03/12/japan-and-korea-wont-let-a-pandemic-stop-them-fighting/

i'm sure at the end of the day, some will be triggered by the inclusion of the feud in TKEM ..but hey, it's not the first time rivalries, wars or feuds have been depicted onscreen. and it won't be the last. so it is what it is. :)

i'm just a simpleton, enjoying writer KES's work..although all the thinking hurts my head at times...hahaha. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, tanakg00 said:

Is that Seung-Ah or Na-ri in ep 7 preview? The hair makes me think it's Seung-Ah while the apron make me think it's Na-ri.

if she's sporting a short hair, she's seung-ah. otherwise, she's na-ri.:)

• Like 4

On 5/2/2020 at 6:02 AM, reynamorisson said:

Let's all agree that this drama is not an easy topic to digest. Let's not compare it to CLOY, especially WOTM, Itaewon Class -> because the complexity of the story setting and the stretch of reality they bring are totally of different variables to compare (putting editing, directing and everything else aside). Now let's see what other dramas we could compare this to: Arthdal Chronicles, Goblin, Hotel Del Luna--but even for these two, the back stories are simple. One is about a punished soul that has to live for 900 years and look for his bride to finally kill him. Hote Del Luna is another story about a woman that has to live so many years before she could go. For foreign shows, the king would follow the theme of Interstellar, Inception, etc. The closest to this drama to me is Arthdal Chronicles which did well but also did not sky rocket rating. Even these movies I mentioned are not easy to make sense for many audience and did sufficient in terms of market success but not extravagantly reaping audience. Interesting how TKEM is similar to these shows right?

https://www.soompi.com/article/1398005wpp/the-king-eternal-monarch-ratings-return-to-double-digits-amidst-stiff-competition

I am so behind that I am now just reading page 142 and trying to respond to the comments on that page so even though no ratings comment is requested,  I have not given my two-cents on ratings yet but I want to point out something positive, I quote the comment Reyna sent and the link someone sent earlier about TKEM facing stiff competition. 

Firstly, Rayna is right, we should not compare to other shows that is of a different genre and interest different viewers that did well earlier or last year, etc.  Secondly TKEM even though facing stiff competitors at the same time slot presently, has Netflix SK right after it ends at SBS. They are also on Wave from what I read. (Not familiar with Wave).  The last I heard, TKEM is #1 on Netflix SK. The other three competitors that is doing well or better does not have Netflix right after their drama. Therefore, TKEM when including Netflix viewers has probably much higher ratings in terms of viewership than showing on SBS.  It may be better, just as good or a little lower than its competitors. If I was interested in both the competitor and TKEM, I would watch the competitor at the time slot and then TKEM later or another day at my convenience without ads or if I like to binge, I can wait for more episodes and watch all of them. I have a choice. The others in the same time slot may not be on Netflix for all I know so I better not miss it when it is on TV. I want to watch both. I know of a friend who plans to watch TKEM but she wants to wait until it is all done to binge watch.  So cheer up.

• Like 10

45 minutes ago, rocher22 said:

He thinks he failed to protect the king.

my take on this is that he feels the same way JTE felt when she was investigating/checking all details with regard to LG the first time they met. remember how JTE tried her best to find any clue that would reveal the identity of LG in ROK is basically what JY's doing now in regard to JTE's identity in KOC. basically, the frustration/exasperation of JTE back then is what JY's feeling in this scene.

• Like 7