[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

I now found a good way for myself to watch this drama without feeling too lost... Come here first to read spoilers and then sit back and enjoy watching the new episode ;):D

I realized I might have a slight face-blindness :lol: because I can never recognize the side character doppelgängers from each world. So the side-by-side photos on first page is really helpful. Thank you!  :kiss_wink:

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Heretorant said:

Yes, the best scenes for me were the ones you named. Shin Jae’s story needed to happen but maybe it took up more time than needed. I’d also like to suggest the producer not focus on one character per episode. It’s good to have a balance so everyone’s story doesn’t get pushed to the back all of a sudden, especially the main character which is the main story. Shin Jae is only one puzzle so there’s no need to focus so heavily on him especially because his story is one we’ve been shown all this time. We have every detail to connect the dots so the revelation could have been achieved in a few minutes. Same with the investigation and interrogation. They’re spending excessive time still trying to solve cases that we, the viewers, already know is linked to LR. Now we’re just waiting for them to catch up to us. We’re ahead of the game here. To eliminate it altogether wouldn’t be good either but there is absolutely no reason why they need to drag it out almost every episode. It’s just taking time away from the main story. 

We have watched more Shin Chae's character development than Lee Gon's character development for 8 ep, yes We understand this character is important but what a important character , I guess he will be next King :lol: really I am tired SC's character 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, natadecoco said:

Can anybody explain on whats going on with SJ (as if already happened in previous episode). Wonder whats the deal between his mom to exchange SJ from KOC to ROK.

The ending scene was epic. Damn have to wait another week for this :sweat_smile:

@natadecoco- Just want to share my thoughts... The way I see it, SJ was used as a tool to blackmail his mom in Corea. LR wants a mole in, and the best way is to find a person inside who has the most to lose. The opportunity presented itself when somewhere in Korea, a mother was afraid to lose her sick boy. The family had money. If someone says he could "cure" the boy, you would pay millions to make it happen.

I think the boy was replaced when the real SJ died. The question is: does his Korean parents know he's not the actual SJ? Or were they under the impression that the boy just miraculously got better? Either ways, the switch had happened, with serious impact on young SJ's mental health. He kept having nightmares, and had problems adjusting to his life in Korea until his adulthood.

Personally, an 8-year old child can only handle so much. He could've been brainwashed, traumatized or conditioned to think that he was seriously sick and recovered. How he handles the truth now is something we need to watch out for.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 5

Just done watching episode 7 to 8. Wow. Daebakkk!! It's so thrilling! It kept me on the edge of my seat. I'm so excited all the puzzles are revealed one by one as the truth are coming out to the surface.

Where should I begin? I try to make it pretty short. Well, I'm confused which scenes are my most faves among the OTP. I loved how TE got her boyfriend revenge by getting him that big cute doll. Aww. Also how he won't let go off her hands while eating the chickens. Or when our cool TE is also actively showing her affection obviously to him. Awww... my heart will burst at any moment!!! I had to hold it tight. Loved that ice coffee scenes! Loved the confession part as well though it's foreshadowed by some sad vibes but it feels so heartfelt. Can't stop replaying these scenes. They make my heart goes pitter patter with all that!

Seriously JY speaks with satoori and pretends to be ES is the most hillarious part! How could he turn his king like that in an instant! I really love how TE did that 90' high kick to stop the culprit from running away and here JY did the same cool one move to shoo the thugs from attacking his king. Love that scene! And of course our king! His smart thinking and quick action are awesome!! Ah... why you're all working together to make me swoon this much huh!! Don't you know I have a weak heart??? How could I concentrate to think who is the spies which keep sending the messages through the bookstore?? I mean there must be more than one spy who works for LR. 

So all this time LR had smuggled lots of people from Corea to Korea. That's the reason of SJ's nightmares, seeing of his past. Whoaaahh... I thought the pregnant lady was his first attempt. He switched people to his benefits and controlled them. I see how he would like to control the power of both worlds. He put lots of spies around LG. I wonder SJ was brought to Korea without his knowledge. I mean he seemed quite lost and confused. Those memories are his nightmares and that is why he got some therapy with that psychiatry doctor. I thought they'd just tell about romance but now it's getting more detective and I love it! 

There's tons of theories I'd like to share but well we have a week long to flesh it out right, ah... I want ep 9 already but in the same time I hate that there's only 8 remaining eps left for us.  Okay, I said I want to make it short. But it turns out to be another wall of text here. :P I'll rewatch the episodes more when the sun shines brightly later. :lol: 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, lofeval said:

@natadecoco- Just want to share my thoughts... The way I see it, SJ was used as a tool to blackmail his mom in Corea. LR wants a mole in, and the best way is to find a person inside who has the most to lose. The opportunity presented itself when somewhere in Korea, a mother was afraid to lose her sick boy. The family had money. If someone says he could "cure" the boy, you would pay millions to make it happen.

I think the boy was replaced when the real SJ died. The question is: does his Korean parents know he's not the actual SJ? Or were they under the impression that the boy just miraculously got better? Either ways, the switch had happened, with serious impact on young SJ's mental health. He kept having nightmares, and had problems adjusting to his life in Korea until his adulthood.

Personally, an 8-year old child can only handle so much. He could've been brainwashed traumatized or conditioned to think that he was seriously sick and recovered. How he handles the truth now is something we need to watch out for.

I am not sure the Korean parents know about the Switch. SJ's ROK mother does say , that he was no less than a miracle for her after being in coma for a year. :sweatingbullets:

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

1 minute ago, lofeval said:

I will also add my two bits :D

I am interested in SJ's dad! Was he an LR supporter because of which the family lost its fortunes and the child was switched? If not where did the dad go... they keep showing his family pics with the father!! Just like they keep showing JTE's family pics... how is her mom important?

Think... LR planned this for so long that he even switched children. He has been keeping a check on everything from such a long time... wow! BTW when will we get to know if LR has/had any family? 

Someone pointed out: he doesn't think much of children (was it @bebebisous33?) and I thought it was apt that the "controller"/"balancing power is a child (if we are to believe that the yoyo child or the one who was pushed JTE when she lost her id). I wonder how? 

Also, Luna has a soft spot for children. How will that play out in the grand scheme of events?

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, natadecoco said:

Exactly what i was wondering. Why she wants his son to be switched while in KOR is no better condition. Do you remember which episode of SJ's mom as a tea lady on the palace?

Another theory could be SJ was kidnapped and mom would be forced to cooperate. And as long as mom cooperated, the baddies would play nice by letting mom know how son is doing.

• Like 4

I really enjoyed Ep 8. The writer has created this huge spider's web of a plot and subplots and has been showing us thin slices from the web. In this episode I see more of them beginning to hang together, showing more of the whole picture. LG is realizing how far LL has come in his plotting over the past 25 years and that he and his kingdom are in real danger.

Agree about the uneven directing and editing. I think with such a complicated plot there needed to be real skill in the directing and editing to provide more of sense of wholeness even with so many pieces still missing. As a result the story up to now has been unnecessarily confusing, although I love all the analysis and speculations in this thread!.

Also wish there was more between the lead pair. Their interactions always seem cut short and are little disjointed. 

But overall I think the writer is a genius and the story exceptionally intriguing. And of course there's the gorgeous LMH to watch!

• Like 14

1 hour ago, mamabear said:

I love that JTE is so sure about her feelings towards LG. She was even the one who said I Love You first which caught LG off guard. I also like how the lines were delivered. JTE thinking that LG is her fate, that she decided to love the fate that chose her even though she had a sad premonition that their love will be short-lived? Is this some kind of foreshadowing about a sad ending? I really hope not. 

I really love all the initiative JTE is taking in the relationship!  Not just saying "I love you" first (though I gasped when she said that! :wub:  Also loved how LG was so beside himself he couldn't react for a bit! lol), but in ep7 during their first official date her not wanting him to just hold her hand, she wanted him to put his arm around her so she grabs his arm and just places it around her shoulders! :D  Putting his arm around her and saying "I love you", both because thinking their time together would be fleeting, so she wanted to make the absolute most of their time together.  If anything goes further between them coughLikeSleepingTogethercough, I'd bet JTE initiates that too, again, not wanting to waste a single moment with him and/or fearing it may be their last moments together, so she wants to experience as much as she absolutely can with the man she loves thinking she's never going to see him again.  Not wanting to have any regrets.

Though if that does happen, as I self-indulgently can't stop thinking about my post earlier?  I feel like if JTE keeps showing initiative as she's been, that post is a direction the story could go.

Of course, with more heavy implications time travel will play a big factor in this story?  Even if their time together is short, that's not to say whatever separates them (or if one of them should die) couldn't be undone (or undone in another timeline).

• Like 4
  • Love 2

That's why i am asking why kid shin jae cry during lee gon cry on the tv due to the death of the previous king. Did any one notice it. I think they are half brothers. Thats why shin jaes mother send him to another world becoz its a big secret or may be lee rim threatened her. And i think this happend during the early  time he came to ROC. SO he want money thats why he swap the child. If they are half brother then this must be a typical cliche twist in evey kdrama that's why i dont like this idea:D

• Like 4

some of the things i learned in episode 8:

* it is finally confirmed that the owner of the restaurant (as seen in episodes 7 & 8) belongs to KOC who was switched to a person in ROK. the restaurant i am referring to is the place where LG & JY dined together. in episode 7, it was somewhat apparent that he is also a minion of LR and this was confirmed in today's episode.

* it appears another switch will take place, this time, it will be between the pregnant woman in ROK as seen in episode 5 and one of PM's minister friends named park ji-young.

* it is also confirmed that the real mom of SJ is the tea lady in KOC named park sook-jin. ergo, SJ is also from KOC. in a way, SJ reading about the autopsy report on LR turned out to be a blessing in disguise for him because it led him to the discovery of his life back then.

* what will the prime minister's mom do now that she found out the truth about LR? will she tell the PM about it or not?

* and now the PM has seen the picture of her doppelganger in ROK. hello parallel universe...

be back later...it's already past midnight. good night chingus.:)

• Like 7

1 minute ago, madmad min said:

I am not sure the Korean parents know about the Switch. SJ's ROK mother does say , that he was no less than a miracle for her after being in coma for a year. :sweatingbullets:

Indeed. That's what I'd like to believe too :)

And I think that was why SJ's asked such as loaded question: Mom, were you happy that I woke up? 

He was looking for an assurance that he was in the right place, and that he was a wanted presence in their lives... even when, after he "woke" up, you could see on his young face that he feels that things just doesn't feel quite right.

However, he acknowledged that this mother tried to be a good parent when he told her,  When I woke up, you held me in your arms. And you smelled so nice. That was when I realized that a person could smell so good. Mom, you see, I was always so happy to be your son.

• Like 8

Hello everyone.. silent reader here since 1st episode.. I'm a huge fan of LMH and KGE.. :wub::wub::wub:

I wish JTE was also swap when she was a child she was really from KC and Luna is the one from RK. Our king LG will definitely do everything to get back all his people back to his kingdom.. :D

• Like 6
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, asul_03 said:

* what will the prime minister's mom do now that she found out the truth about LR? will she tell the PM about it or not?

She was about to tell her daughter about it, but PM cut her off!  Argh!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1