[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

Hello Chinguzzz!!  Happy The King's day again!! :D  Here are the roughly translated comments from the BEST section (most voted) from trailer episode 8 in Naver

JG

강신재가 진짜 중요한 역할일듯... 히든카드같은...?

Kang Shinjae seems to be playing a really important role ... like a hidden card ...?

시문

대한민국의 이민호 안 죽었나 설마?

South Korea's Lee Min-ho is not dead?

김유진
영이랑 신재 왜 싸워 이야기 뭔데에에엑

Young-jae and why are you fighting?

JG

작가님 미리 말하지만 세드만 빼고 다 해주세욥 !! ㅎㅎ

writer says it in advance, but I will do everything except Ced !! hehe

weareone

어떡하죠 갈수록 재밌어지는데요....

What to do, It gets more and more fun ....

해리고

이림이 1과 0사이를 지금 장악하고 있고 1과 0사이의 어떤 공간에 있기 때문에 늙지 않은 것 같고 신재는 제국에서 민국으로 왔지만 이림처럼 1과 0사이의 어떤 공간에 있지 않아서 안 늙은 거 같음.

It seems that Irim is not old because Irim is currently in control between 1 and 0 and is in some space between 1 and 0.

mdrt ****

헐 신재랑 조영 만났다!!! 싸우는 거 호텔방인듯

Hull Jaejae and Joyoung met !!! Fighting is like a hotel room

곤히

아 몰라 그냥 다 모르겠고 이을커플 행복만 해라

I don't know, just don't know everything, just make this couple happy

focuson

진짜 갈수록 흥미진진하다

It is getting really exciting

정지현

왜 예고만 늦게 올려줘요 거리감 느껴지게 많이는 아니고 홍대와 건대 사이 정도.. 아 물론 제가 둘다 좋아합니다

Why don't you post the notice lately, not much to feel the distance, but between Hongdae and Konkuk ... Oh, of course I like both

검아리

그냥 미쳤더... 재밌다ㅜㅠㅜ

I'm just crazy ... it's fun

빈쿠
역시는 역시다ㅠㅠㅠㅠ은숙 작가님은 우릴 실망시키지 않으시죠ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

is too ㅠ ㅠㅠㅠ Eun-suk doesn't disappoint us ㅠ ㅠㅠㅠ ㅠㅠㅠ

은섭이너무귀엽조영

저번주가 이제 진짜 시작이다 더 재밌겠다 했는데 이제 시작이야ㅠㅠㅠㅠ 내일이 진짜 더 재밌겠어ㅠㅠㅠㅠ

Last week is the real beginning now. It will be more fun, but now it's the beginning.

어떻게.. 갈수록 더 재밌어..ㅠㅠ 내일 얼른 보고 싶다

How .. more and more fun .....

Red

내일부터 본격 시작일듯 ㄷㄷ 이제부터 쉴틈없이 전개 몰아친다ㅏ

seems like it will start in earnest from tomorrow c

credit:https://tv.naver.com/v/13717724#comment_focus

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ck1Oz said:

I waited all week. Stayed away from spoilers just to be surprised. I don't know what to say. I will finish this as I truly want to see LMH after so many years. And have watched Kim Gyung Nam in Where stars land multiple times while waiting for episode 7.

The actors are fine. But it's the writer. She is so disjointed. The elements are there. Parallel worlds and rules set about it's crossing. There is a power struggle and conspiracy. Multiple murders scenarios. 2nd female lead. 2nd male lead or one sided crush.

But there are a few things that niggles. The dead Lee Gon in Korea. Why does Sin Jae have Korean memories but Korean drawings? Yet the scenes feel disjointed between worlds. I can't work out if it's the writer. Or the director. The scene pacing is slow actually I feel it's a tad slow. It doesn't feel slick and moves between scenes and worlds fast enough. I mean it's ok if you're doing it in ONE world but you have 2 sets of characters, 2 worlds, both object of power and power struggle going on, a " difficult " romance to have a HAE and has to have a 2nd romance. And it's already on episode 7. 

By the way I am expecting Jo Yeong  to fall for the cafe owner in Seoul. Not the Korean one so waiting for that to happen.

With so many ponderous scene transitions and double character arcs to tell, can't quite work out what I feel about this drama. I mean I waited all week for this post hug scene but all I get is a BBQ chicken PPL and a murder clue session. One little short blip about him needing to move back and forth and that's it?

And Luna in Corea will be interesting. I like how they did the face make up to make her skin look rougher and more aged by life. Well at least we know now that Corean Luna won't confuse the King.

Did Korean Lee Gon really die? Please no. Can't he be Sin Jae?

Either way Kim Eun Sook. This is her 10th drama which I've watched. And some which I've reached more than 10 times. I am trying to recall episode by episode if the episodes progressions are about on par with her writing standards and style. Is it? Has anyone noticed? I mean I have really, truly looked forward to this drama and wanted to rave over it. 

I have decided the director pacing is just a tad too slow for each scene and it can be going along much faster to get the story along. I actually went to check out Baek Sang Hoon's credits. Yes his pace is the same in Moonlight drawn by the clouds and Descendants. So that must be his style. I also checked out Jung Ji Hyun and I liked www a lot. But that wasn't a fast paced drama with rapid scene changes.

Now looking at the 2 directors I understand the scenes more or why it is so slow. So now what? The writer has an ambitious plot? 

Argh. It's almost 3am I will blame it on the 2.30am mind then. Night all. I am going to finish off watching episode 9 Hospital Playlist and go back to sleep. I can't work out what I feel about episode 7 after waiting all week and I get PPL galore and not much OTP time and zero 2nd lead time. The other characters scenes are so freaking random.

How many PPL can you guys spot? The BBQ chicken, the snack the PM eats, the coffee, the nutritional supplement  pack, the tea- that's not PPL right? 

Sigh ... I so HEAR you ... I am still liking this drama even though I am preparing myself to get thoroughly confused! 

• Love 1

51 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

he in love :joy:

That screen saver might be installed by myung seung-a. Remember when she asked JY phone and chose that picture for covering LG first time crossed?

• LOL 3
  • Insightful 1

Today’s episode was packed with juicy information. 

I appreciate Lee Gon’s trust in his woman. No noble idiocy allowed here. None of that “I’m going to put you in danger so I’d rather distance myself to protect you.” I love how he trusts her enough to depend on her. In a way, her answer lies in his world and his lies in her’s. And while they may not know it at this time, they’re both working towards solving one big problem. I’m loving their teamwork! 

One thing I overlooked thus far, Lee Gon thinks he’s looking for someone age 69. Imagine the shock when he finally meets Lee Rim and realizes he hasn’t aged one bit. :o

I’m sticking by my theory that the ID card disappeared. I do have a question though, how come JTE knows it went missing? Did I miss something from last episode?

The fact that they brought up Lee Rim’s doppelgänger and his family does lead me to wonder whether Gon’s doppelgänger really died. I think it would be the biggest shock of the show if he was alive. 

The show is deliberately trying to steer us away from the true savior. At this point, Shin Jae is pretty much “in your face” the savior. All the more reasons why I don’t believe it is him. 

Death is foreshadowed and this time, it’s Lee Gon. The red painting lying there on the floor does look ominous indeed. 

Interesting how Lee Gon will leave Jo Yeong behind. I wonder how that will complicate things for the king since Yeong is his most trusted guard. BUT, the king needs to learn how to live without Yeong (prepare himself for any catastrophe) and Yeong needs to find a life without the king. I’ll enjoy seeing him on his own adventure, even though it’s mostly a duty the king sent him on. Lol. 

The king and his disheartening words to JTE asking her to not tell him to go or stay and the OST was everything! My heart! Their “everyday” date was short lived and things quickly turned dark. Will we ever get to see them go on a real date with a real kiss? Lol. Btw, I wish they hadn’t cut the hug scene so short. I would have liked to see a bit more.

And things I enjoyed because I just enjoyed for no particular reason but entertainment :D:

1) The King choosing option 1, “over my dead body” and JY up and ready to battle the king. 

2) Everything to do with JY and ES. I think I can watch them go at it all day long! It hilarious and ES’s reaction never gets old. I love how JY was dead serious when he questioned why ES never knew he was handsome :lol:

3) JTE bragging about sleeping over at a man’s house and a big house, that is. 
4) The King brilliantly leaving a note in JY’s pocket to prove to him that time stopped. 
5) The King’s bratty face when he took JTE to the doll shop, like a kid tattle tailing.

6) The King eating the food first to shorten the gap between their worlds. How stinking cute! 

7) The King realizing Hongdae and Kondae are not close but getting jealous anyway because JTE said she likes both :lol:
8) JTE choosing a hug over hand holding because “we don’t know when we’ll see each other again.”

1 hour ago, gwin said:

I'm confident Head Court Lady will find out about these spies soon enough!

Can anyone identify the numbers JTE put on LG's phone, aside from hers, Shin Jae's and the Taekwondo Center?  He mentioned 5 numbers.

All of her team members excluding her = 3

Jo Eun Seob = 1

Taekwondo center = 1

Er ... Jun Ji Hyun is happily married and she was already a mother of one boy (now she has two sons) when she was filming LOTBS - plus wasn’t LMH dating Suzy Bae at that time? 
Ok, I totally understand this shipping business, especially when both leads are single. Even when they are already attached, it’s still ok to ship them cos, well ... there are breakups / relationships could end, etc ...

BUT I think we need to draw a line when they are already MARRIED. Sorry, if this is off topic, but there was some mention here that there was “something going on” between LMH & JJH during LOTBS days ... I was not a huge fan of LMH but I think I am now - he is an EXCELLENT actor and I have to say, he is my FAVOURITE KING among all KDrama kings! Which brings me back to this point ... I don’t think we should be spreading such unfounded rumours about him & JJH (who is another EXCELLENT actress, but who is also HAPPILY MARRIED & a MOTHER)

@Guyangi_Dalpeongi I think you got the wrong idea. I’m not spreading rumors about JJH and LMH. And I followed up with LOTBS but never knew there were such rumors. If that is true then it’s pretty ridiculous, because she is married. I was only trying to say that if for the purpose of marketing, I have not known LMH to be an actor to promote in that way. Because he didn’t promote LOTBS like that. A photo of him on set with JJH couldn’t be harmful. People knew they were working together and if he wanted to promote, it should be ok. But he never did it. This is my delusional mind wanting to believe his photo of him and go eun means more. But it’s a joke and I meant no harm by it. Sorry if you think I’m stepping over the line. I just can’t help but like them. Quite frankly, I know they’re not dating especially as of now but I just like to pretend and have fun with the idea. I hope my fangirling doesn’t come off offensive to anyone. 

• Like 11
  • Love 4

18 minutes ago, ck1Oz said:

I waited all week. Stayed away from spoilers just to be surprised. I don't know what to say. I will finish this as I truly want to see LMH after so many years. And have watched Kim Gyung Nam in Where stars land multiple times while waiting for episode 7.

The actors are fine. But it's the writer. She is so disjointed. The elements are there. Parallel worlds and rules set about it's crossing. There is a power struggle and conspiracy. Multiple murders scenarios. 2nd female lead. 2nd male lead or one sided crush.

But there are a few things that niggles. The dead Lee Gon in Korea. Why does Sin Jae have Korean memories but Korean drawings? Yet the scenes feel disjointed between worlds. I can't work out if it's the writer. Or the director. The scene pacing is slow actually I feel it's a tad slow. It doesn't feel slick and moves between scenes and worlds fast enough. I mean it's ok if you're doing it in ONE world but you have 2 sets of characters, 2 worlds, both object of power and power struggle going on, a " difficult " romance to have a HAE and has to have a 2nd romance. And it's already on episode 7. 

By the way I am expecting Jo Yeong  to fall for the cafe owner in Seoul. Not the Korean one so waiting for that to happen.

With so many ponderous scene transitions and double character arcs to tell, can't quite work out what I feel about this drama. I mean I waited all week for this post hug scene but all I get is a BBQ chicken PPL and a murder clue session. One little short blip about him needing to move back and forth and that's it?

And Luna in Corea will be interesting. I like how they did the face make up to make her skin look rougher and more aged by life. Well at least we know now that Corean Luna won't confuse the King.

Either way Kim Eun Sook. This is her 10th drama which I've watched. And some which I've reached more than 10 times. I am trying to recall episode by episode if the episodes progressions are about on par with her writing standards and style. Is it? Has anyone noticed? I mean I have really, truly looked forward to this drama and wanted to rave over it. 

I have decided the director pacing is just a tad too slow for each scene and it can be going along much faster to get the story along. I actually went to check out Baek Sang Hoon's credits. Yes his pace is the same in Moonlight drawn by the clouds and Descendants. So that must be his style. I also checked out Jung Ji Hyun and I liked www a lot. But that wasn't a fast paced drama with rapid scene changes.

Now looking at the 2 directors I understand the scenes more or why it is so slow. So now what? The writer has an ambitious plot? 

Argh. It's almost 3am I will blame it on the 2.30am mind then. Night all. I am going to finish off watching episode 9 Hospital Playlist and go back to sleep. I can't work out what I feel about episode 7 after waiting all week and I get PPL galore and not much OTP time and zero 2nd lead time. The other characters scenes are so freaking random.

How many PPL can you guys spot? The BBQ chicken, the snack the PM eats, the coffee, the nutritional supplement  pack, the tea- that's not PPL right? 

It's the scope of the story, truly.  It's so hard to pull off parallel worlds with multiple characters.  I feel like it's information overload every episode, I actually don't think the pace is slow, I feel the opposite actually.  

And while most of us enjoy the connection between the male and female lead, I think the story is not JUST a romance but more of the story of Lee Gon vs. Lee Lim.  So to be honest, those who thought they would be watching a romance are all probably disappointed because it's not that so far.

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, imels said:

That screen saver might be installed by myung seung-a. Remember when she asked JY phone and chose that picture for covering LG first time crossed?

If she put it on , why didn’t he change it :lol:

The guy in love he may have put it as background :D

what he feel about them holding hand :phew:

5eb594d3a4c40103966994.gif?download

Him:naughty:

5eb598bcbdc53486095120.gif?download

She :D

5eb598caa1c6f611232097.gif?download

• Like 5
  • LOL 16

8 minutes ago, gwin said:

It's the scope of the story, truly.  It's so hard to pull off parallel worlds with multiple characters.  I feel like it's information overload every episode, I actually don't think the pace is slow, I feel the opposite actually.  

And while most of us enjoy the connection between the male and female lead, I think the story is not JUST a romance but more of the story of Lee Gon vs. Lee Lim.  So to be honest, those who thought they would be watching a romance are all probably disappointed because it's not that so far.

Yes, that’s what I find it boring. The trailers, the previews, all made me think it would be a sci-fi romance, but it’s not. From seven episodes we got two episodes of some romance, the rest is a bunch of disconnected plots, some connected, some just aleatory. The pace doesn’t work for this kind of plot, and for those bashing me for not using my brain, yes I’m using but it’s just not good enough. I’ve watched a bunch of dramas before even without any romance like Forest of secrets. But sorry, KES maybe is trying something different but it’s not working and it shouldn’t be promoted as a romance, because the romance it’s not the main plot here, and sorry to say, the main couple doesn’t have any chemistry at all. Some scenes are so cringeworthy and forced if this was not a KES drama and hasn’t the star power of KGE and LMH I bet the ratings wouldn’t reach even 3 points. And for those saying why I’m torturing myself, last week two episodes were somewhat good and made me stay, the preview with FAKE dialogues and editing made me think some things would happen and bam, it was all fake, this episode looked like third episode all over again, it’s almost the middle of the drama and some characters like the whole police office, the palace doppelgängers, the palace staff could just disappear and I wouldn’t miss anybody, there’s so many aleatory characters that I don’t even recall their names, but now I’m out for good and you can stay in your bubble alone thinking everybody love this drama.

• Unamused 4
  • Sad 1

Lee Rim: The birth of a new god?

Anyone watching the k-drama “The King: Eternal Monarch” knows that Lee Rim is the antagonist in this story, Lee Gon’s uncle who conspired against his own brother, the king, in order to possess a mysterious flute.

Striking is that this k-drama starts right away with the introduction of the villain and not with the protagonists. This unusual move has a rather simple explanation. It exposes the true personality of the antagonist and his motivation behind the “coup d’Etat” which happens later.

However, there is more to it because in the first scene of the first episode, the viewers don’t see the villain immediately but only hear his voice. He is actually telling a story. What caught my attention in this first scene is that the story told by Lee Rim doesn’t initially match the taking. While the beholder sees a forest of bamboo, Lee Rim mentions an event recorded in the Memorabilia of the Three Kingdoms:

“In spring 682, King Sinmun received a bamboo flute from the Dragon King of the East Sea”.

image-23.png?w=500
First episode: Lee Gon’s father is taking the flute from his shrine”

Right after quoting this sentence from the historical Chronicles, the scene changes and viewers witness how the king takes the flute from a shrine. So with this move, the director wants to confirm the veracity of Lee Rim’s words. The flute does exit and it is possessed by the descendants from Silla Dynasty. Then Lee Rim adds:

“When the flute is played, enemies would retreat, diseases would be cured, rain would fall during droughts, the rainy season would end, the wind would stop and strong waves would subside. Seeing its powers, King Sinmun named the flute Manpasikjeok” and designed it as a “national treasure”.

Only after quoting this from the Memorabilia, Lee Rim appears, his face is covered in blood,

image-24.png?w=438

which is kind of surprising as he told the story about Manpasikjeok in a very calm manner. The head quotes from the Memorabilia outline that Lee Rim is a strong believer of the powerful flute. For him, the Memorabilia from the Three Kingdoms is similar to the bible. In other words, Lee Rim is an extremely religious man.

I would even add that he treats the Manpasikjeok as an idol. An idol is actually an image or a representation of a god used as an object of worship. So for Lee Rim, the flute has become a new religion and the owner of Manpasikjeok is a god. Interesting is his attitude towards disbelievers. He criticizes them indirectly as the non-believers call this story a myth. As you can observe, Lee Rim appears to be a radical believer, a fundamentalist. Fundamentalism is a form of religion that upholds belief in the strict literal interpretation of scripture. So the quotations from Memorabilia are taken literally by the antagonist. Like I mentioned it above, for him Memorabilia is like a Holy scripture. He believes in the true power of this mysterious flute. But his complain doesn’t stop there. He explains why he took it from his brother. Notice the words he used to legitimate his murder and coup d’Etat.

“I took it from my brother who had it but didn’t believe in it”

So for the antagonist, the king is categorized as non-believer. Nonetheless, if we look at the first picture above, the king is treating the powerful flute very carefully and it is put in a shrine. Only once every 20 years, the Manpasikjeok is revealed to wish peace to the world. This means that it is kept hidden the whole time, while in Lee Rim’s eyes, this flute should be shown to every one. For him, the cult around the Manpasikjeok should be practiced more openly and differently. We can feel his religios fervor, while his brother acts as if it was a hidden cult. I have the impression that while Lee Rim considers the flute as an idol, the king treats it as a relic. The latter is something associated with a saint, which some people regard as holy. A saint is a virtuous person, someone who does good for others. Now, you can better understand the huge gap between the two royals. While Lee Rim considers the flute as a divine object giving godly powers, the king connects it more to the human world and humbleness. This flute has to be used by a virtuous and honest man which elucidates why the flute is not revealed to the public eye.

We can feel his resent and jealousy towards his brother, when he yells to JTE that the king was able to see the Manpasikjeok each day. He didn’t cherish the flute properly. Furthermore, he reproached the king’s ignorance and passivity as he could have grasped the world with the flute. And with these words, it becomes clear that Lee Rim believes that this precious and divine flute can turn the owner into a god as the owner has the possibility to access to another world.

As conclusion, for Lee Rim, becoming the owner of the flute means becoming a god, yet simultaneously it means that Lee Rim will introduce a new religion with new rituals: sovereign’s cult. Since he is a fundamentalist, it also implies that Lee Rim expects a strict obedience to him, the new god, from his followers.

However, we can observe a huge contrast between Lee Rim and his brother. The latter keeps the Four Tiger Sword close to him and his son. Besides, when Lee Rim mentions that Lee Gon will be confronted with the legend and realize its authenticity, the camera zooms to the Four Tiger Sword. For Lee Gon and his father, the sword is far more important than the flute, whereas it is the opposite for Lee Rim. This lack of respect for the sword is actually outlined, when Lee Rim kills the king with the sword. Actually, the villain is soiling the sword. Furthermore, after using it, the uncle let the sword fall onto the ground, where Lee Gon can use it later in order to stop Lee Rim. So here is the question: why isn’t the sword as important as the flute for Lee Rim? Because it is not mentioned in the Memorabilia. Remember that Lee Rim considers it as a Holy scripture. Since Lee Rim is not a legitimate son, he has not been initiated to the secrets linked to the sword and the real story about the Manpasikjeok. He only knows the story through the Chronicles in reality. And he took these words for a reality. And we get another clue that the Four Tiger Sword is actually the real divine item with the following scene:

image-26.png?w=597
Episode 1 the young Jo Young is declared “Unbreakable Sword” by the young Lee Gon. We have to remember that Lee Gon has just lost his father and has already become the new King.

But now, let’s go back to our villain. While fighting with the king, Lee Rim denies the existence of gods (“God never created humans”) which contradicts his own words and belief. This actually underlines his real intention. His true goal is to become a god himself and for that, he needs the powerful flute. The flute will give him divine powers and simultaneously it serves as regalia, just like the sword. And we can clearly see that he uses the cult around the Manpasikjeok to justify his coup d’Etat. Religion in History has always been used as a justification for monarchs, see e. g. the French King Louis XIV called the Sun King. But what differs him from Louis XIV, an absolute monarch, is that Lee Rim intends to install a theocratic monarchy and not just an absolute monarchy. Now, you are wondering: what is the difference between these two? An absolute king is considered as a representative of God on Earth, whereas in a theocratic monarchy the king is considered as a god himself and has connections to gods. Since he denies the existence of god, he needs supporters in order to become a god, just like in a theocratic monarchy therefore he declares to his brother:

“it was the weak who created god”

But he fails so that he is forced to hide. Because he got the half of the magical flute, he is able to escape from Monarchy of Corea (MOF) and appears in Republic of Korea, where he discovers the existence of a parallel word. So this miracle proves him that the Manpasikjeok has godly powers and as such the owner of the flute is powerful. Then he meets by chance his half-brother who is poor and rude in this world. That’s when he realizes what he could do here. If you pay attention to his different actions from that moment, you will realize that Lee Rim as fundamentalist starts considering himself as a god.

1. Before killing his own self, he claims that he is different and far nobler indicating that he doesn’t consider himself as a human being any longer.
  2. He shows up in front of his right-hand-man after so many years and he hasn’t aged at all. He reinforces the idea that he is an immortal.
  3. When Ji Hun’s mother returns from the morgue, she laughs as she is happy about her husband’s death. Her bruises on her face indicates that she has been abused by her husband. While laughing, she declares: “I guess, there is a god […] I prayed every day that he would die”. And here notice Lee Rim’s reaction: he waited on the wheelchair all this time listening to her laugh and her words. Then she starts mentioning her son Ji Hun which shows that her resent is only directed at her husband. She clearly loves her child. In that moment, Lee Rim stands up from the wheelchair. His behavior somehow reminded me of the resurrection of Jesus Christ as the doppelganger of Lee Rim looked like he was dead (he couldn’t move and didn’t even speak). Then he confronts the mother by telling her that she has sinned with her laugh. He acts like a god who judges people for their behavior. Ironically, her sin (laughing about her husband’s death) is nothing compared to the crimes Lee Rim committed before. He had already killed three people in ROK: his brother, his other self and Ji Hun, the doppelganger of Lee Gon. He acts as if he has answered her prayer but for her sin, she should repent and confirm her son’s death as an accident.
  4. In another scene, he acts as if he would answer a mother’s prayer. Her son is paralyzed and has been mocked by children on his birthday. HE tells her that her son can never walk but she should change her prayer so that her wish would come true. He even tells her what her prayer should be: the rude children should be punished and get paralyzed just like her son. In this scene, the beholder observes the limitation of Lee Rim’s powers. He is not a god, he can only play tricks.
  5. Then we see him at a temple painting the walls. It was as if he was creating his own temple where people would come to worship him.
  6. Finally, when he meets the pregnant woman who is poor like the other people he met in ROK. He tells her that she can live a great life but for that, she needs to pay a price: kill the doppelganger in MOC. So Lee Rim asks for a bloody sacrifice. It was as if he had become a bloodthirsty god. In order to have your prayer answered by the god, a human sacrifice is required.

All these scenes illustrate Lee Rim’s belief: only weak people create a god. He acts as if he was a powerful god, yet in fact his powers are limited. He can go from one world to the other, he doesn’t age as well, nonetheless he can not turn a sick person into a healthy one. All the prayers are linked to death and punishment. He is not someone who wants happiness and peace for people, he only uses weak humans to achieve his goal. He wants them to see him as a god that’s why he acts like that.

Finally, I would like the readers to remember the story told by Lee Rim in the beginning. He mentioned the Dragon King of the East Sea. Who is this Dragon King? A real dragon or is it the king from Japan as the island is situated in the East sea? Remember that the dragon is seen on Lee Gon’s robe. Striking is that so far Lee Rim has never explained the identity of this Dragon King. For Western countries, dragons are associated to destruction and death, whereas in Asia dragons are linked to positive aspects: great power and fortune hence the dragon is seen on the robe of the king. And here I’ve got the feeling that Lee Rim is influenced by Asian mentality. He considers the Dragon King as someone positive. Yet we heard from Lee Gon that his ancestor Prince Sohyeon became the king Yeongjong and stopped the Qing invasion. While doing some research, I read that prince Sohyeon was influenced by Western ideas and was for a modernization of Joseon. So Lee Rim represents the conservative type (fundamentalism, theocratic monarchy), while Lee Gon and his father are more modern and under the influence of occidental mentality. Therefore I think that this explains why Lee Rim criticized his brother as he saw the Dragon King as someone positive, while Lee Gon and his father have been raised to see the evil nature of the Dragon King from the East Sea.

As conclusion, because of his travel to the parallel world, Lee Rim has come to see that his belief was correct and that he has become a god who could rule over two worlds. However, if we pay attention to his actions, we can conclude that in reality, he is just an "idol", a false god. He reminds me of the golden calf from the bible symbolizing the false faith.

@ktcjdrama @2handsintertwined (this is the post @vangsweetie637 mentioned)@Guyangi_Dalpeongi @YongZura⁷ @Dramafreak @Ameera Ali

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 15

2 minutes ago, Nat_93 said:

Yes, that’s what I find it boring. The trailers, the previews, all made me think it would be a sci-fi romance, but it’s not. From seven episodes we got two episodes of some romance, the rest is a bunch of disconnected plots, some connected, some just aleatory. The pace doesn’t work for this kind of plot, and for those bashing me for not using my brain, yes I’m using but it’s just not good enough. I’ve watched a bunch of dramas before even without any romance like Forest of secrets. But sorry, KES maybe is trying something different but it’s not working and it shouldn’t be promoted as a romance, because the romance it’s not the main plot here, and sorry to say, the main couple doesn’t have any chemistry at all. Some scenes are so cringeworthy and forced if this was not a KES drama and hasn’t the star power of KGE and LMH I bet the ratings wouldn’t reach even 3 points. And for those saying why I’m torturing myself, last week two episodes were somewhat good and made me stay, the preview with FAKE dialogues and editing made me think some things would happen and bam, it was all fake, this episode looked like third episode all over again, it’s almost the middle of the drama and some characters like the whole police office, the palace doppelgängers, the palace staff could just disappear and I wouldn’t miss anybody, there’s so many aleatory characters that I don’t even recall their names, but now I’m out for good and you can stay in your bubble alone thinking everybody love this drama.

Goodbye!  Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

I can never understand people who willingly go and comment on a show's discussion thread just to bash the show and those who watch it.  Go comment on your favorite show's thread then.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 3
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, gwin said:

100% with you on this! It’s not just a mere story about romance. I thought it was pretty obvious from the beginning that this was going to be a story about the battle between Lee Gon and Lee Rim with some romance and crime. But I’m afraid some people only came for romance and are left wondering why not much of the relationship is being shown. I don’t mind focusing on just the romance but I’m also here for the battle :D

11 minutes ago, gwin said:

In the previews, is Lee Lim holding JTE's ID/badge?

That would be interesting...

• Like 10

r

27 minutes ago, ck1Oz said:

Yes, I understand what you feel about this drama. I admitted in the first six episodes they quite slow, but I tried to understand every single detail of the scenes through every conversation they have. There were so many hidden messages in every scene that sometimes I missed it. I have watched from ep 1-6 for 3 times just for not missing a single detail. But, ep 7 has faster speed than before also the editing much better (that’s my opinion though). I know TKEM is not a drama that you can watch while doing laundry or cooking. Because it is not like daily drama or simply family drama.
My first KES drama was lovers in paris, next the inheritor, then DOTS and goblin, and now this one. this TKEM is unique about parallel world with all the math and scientific theories, this one is much difficult to write and to make compare to KES previous work. That’s why there are two pd to make it, even now 3 pd getting involved, as one of them switched place as editing director. 
I know there were some poster here get worried that this drama will be have a sad ending. But, as long as I know, KES dramas have happy endings (don’t they?). So, I am very optimistic TKEM will also have it.

• Like 9

48 minutes ago, Guyangi_Dalpeongi said:

Also, my REAL name is Alice :sweat_smile: and my late father actually named me after Alice in Wonderland!! (Not exactly from the books) - it’s the Alice in the 1967 psychedelic rock song - White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplanes!) - I am a Gen X! So, I am reading and re-reading with so much pleasure all the analogies to Alice in Wonderland!! Thank you for the wonderful analysis & analogies!
Sorry, I can’t seem to tag the person who came forth with all the wonderful Alice-Through-The-Looking-Glass analysis - her/his handle starts with ‘bebe’ or ‘bebi’ something??? 

Alice, just to help you with the name - @bebebisous33 One of the moderators here.  You can ask to be tagged so as not to miss her post as reference especially when the thread is moving so fast.  

I find it interesting .... that some viewers feel the drama is slow... while some feel it's fast ... Is it because we are in the world of "The King"... where the time is quite subjective. :glasses:  Well, I hope we're able to find the balance somewhere to enjoy the drama if we decide to watch it till the end.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

their first date. Sweet!:heart:

Their banter makes their chemistry shine

"what else do you need? should i shoot down a star for you?" - tae-eul 

Spoiler

Imagine being the girl Lee Min Ho posts on his IG besides his mom is Kim Go Eun?:kiss_wink:

The honor of being the only woman aside from his mother to be on lee min ho's instagram goes to kim go eun.

Spoiler

• Like 8
  • Love 6

Hellooooo again!  :D  Here I present to you Luna Naver comment section: The most voted comments for the LAST scene of episode 7 (Welcome Lunaayaaaa) :joy:  This episode was awesome in terms of development and tension!! :glasses: 

It is 3:00 AM in Korea now. But this video is having a sharp rise in number viewers when your refresh Naver. It is crazy!! I will update these numbers. :

Number of views: 76,441--> 77,481--> 79,682-->82,755 -->83,778 --> 84,097  (4:36 AM in South Korea)--> 85,907--> 86,657 (5:00 AM Korea time) ---> 87,479 ---> 90,882 (5:50 AM Korea) 

와.. 김고은도 1인 2역 개소름일듯.. 표정 자체가 다른 사람이다내일 너무 기대된다..

Wow .. Kim Go-eun also seems to be a goose bump in 2 roles for 1 person .. The expression itself is a different person

은하리

루나 드디어 첫등장인데 정태을이랑 갭차이 무엇...

Luna is finally the first appearance, but what is the difference between Jung Tae-eul and Gap .

은섭이너무귀엽조영

우도환에 이어서 김고은도 1인 2역 미쳤어... 분위기 완전 달라..

likelihood ring then Kim Go-Eun also double role crazy ... atmosphere completely different.

박쏘

와...연기 대박이다.......

and ...this is a great hit ....

NYUR

김고은 임팩트 완전 다른 사람같음

GOGOEUN Impact is like a completely different person

은섭이너무귀엽조영

루나 나오는거 보니깐 태을이 위험해질 것 같은데ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

Luna is coming out, it seems that Taeul is going to be dangerous.

연필

아 완전 다른사람같아..; 여기 배우들 연기 맛집이네.. 우도환도 그렇고 다들 1인2역 너무 잘 소화해냄.... 루나 이야기 어떻게 풀릴지 너무 궁금해 진짜

Oh, it looks like a different person ..; Actresses here are acting restaurants .. Udo Hwan, and everyone plays 1 person 2 roles so well.

김유진

아니 이 드라마 뭐야 뭔데 이렇게 소름 돋냐..?

No What is this drama and what makes it so creepy ..?

hjesjh

와 김고은 태을이랑은 느낌 다르네

and Kim Go-eun have a different feeling from Tae-ul

둠칫둠칫

이 드라마 배우들 연기 진짜 잘한다 온도차 확나는 캐릭터를 한 사람에서 연기하는데 다른 사람 같아

These drama actors act really well

김도훈

김고은 연기 개 잘함..

GO-Eun Kim is good at acting 

redred

엔딩 미쳤어

The endings are crazy

weareone

와 언니 연기 너무 잘한다.....

and sister is acting so well .....

정은아

와... 엔딩 미쳤으

Wow ... the ending is crazy

1004****

와 소름....

and creepy ....

credit: https://tv.naver.com/v/13717616#comment_focus

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 3

@gwin nah I am not here purely for the romance. The set up has to be correct. The backdrop to the story. I have gone back to the writer's previous dramas to check if there was a secondary romance in the previous works. And there are.

I read a lot. More than watching Kdramas. And authors who write 10-15 books per series. And actually used to stories dealing with parallel worlds etc.  So I am also used to recognising a certain style by the author. The director's work or pacing feels the same as their previous works. However the writing for this drama is a bit wonky. The premise is sound. Nothing new there plot- wise that I haven't read before however the execution is not smooth.

Also I would really like it if the supporting cast is fleshed out more by now. You noticed that Lee Rim or whatever the villain is or has a lot of equal screen time. He has his own supporting cast and he has so many characters to juggle. If you calculate 1:1 his people vs 1:1 Lee Gon it's about equal. The writer keeps introducing more guards and more Corean recruits to Korea. 

Where else Lee Con has very few. Fewer than Lee Rim. Then JTE has equal numbers supporting cast. 

I am really off to bed now but yeah the writer has a sprawling cast. So I truly really want to see more of Jo Yeong and his 2 ladies. Plus Sin Jae and more of his personality.

And Luna actually scares me more than Lee Rim. Honestly. She is way scary.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1