[Drama 2019-2020] Crash Landing on you, 사랑의 불시착

0ly40

Ending prediction   

210 members have voted

1. 1. What will happen to the OTP at the end of this drama?

• Sweet happy ending for Ri-ri in SK
    • Cue sad music ..the divide is just too great ..the OTP will be separated
    • An open ending where they will meet again on the bridge in Switzerland ...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/15/2020 at 01:37 PM

27 minutes ago, campanulah said:
On 1/2/2020 at 11:38 AM, joonminfan said:

I'm not fluent in Korean but as far as I know, what SR said was "I like..". It's common in Mandarin, and I believe in Korean as well, to say this without a subject. So what she meant could be "I like the fact that I'm able to leave soon" in response to JH's question, but further on she says "I like.. so it's giving me a headache." Therefore, it could also be a confession because why would being able to leave (something she has been hoping desperately for) NK be something that gives her a headache? So I also took it to mean that she actually meant that she likes (him) and that it's troubling her because she is leaving soon.

I don't know if I'm making sense. Any Korean speakers here can help? :lol:

I think Se Ri meant "liking" per se, not necessarily in the context of leaving NK. Specifically she meant liking RJH and how it's giving her a headache bec although she likes the idea that she's returning to SK soon she also likes liking RJH, and staying longer with him around would also be nice. So she likes the fact that she's leaving NK but she somewhat likes to stay bec she's already beginning to like RJH. The act of "liking" is what is giving her a headache.  

Both of you are correct, and yes, one of the greatest difficulties of translating Japanese/Korean is that they are 'subject-less' languages, and the listener must make inferences/understand the context to understand the speaker's intention.

Similarly, by dropping the subject, the speaker is able to hedge, i.e. with a degree of ambiguity to his actual intention.

My translation:

Jeong Hyuk: "Why are you having a headache? You're going back soon, it should be making you happy." (좋아지는 마음 대신)

Seri's reply can be read two ways:

1) "I'm happy...I'm happy that's why I have a headache" (assuming she is replying directly to his conversation, but this reply doesn't make sense)

2) "I like X ... I like X that's why I have a headache." (좋아서...좋아서 생각이 많아)...but what is X? X is deliberately vague, but "I like that I'm going back that's why I'm having a headache"? Does that even make sense?

Quite obviously, and that's why Jeong Hyuk pauses, caught by the meaning of WHAT SHE IS NOT SAYING, which is:

I like you, that's why it's giving me a headache.

P.S. I also read Suki Kim's book....wrote something on my blog some time back:

https://jenweiting.com/2019/07/17/without-you-there-is-no-us-book-review/

Feeling rather fed-up about the disappointing special! I'm just going to try and forget about this drama for a while since it's pretty clear they're quite behind on shooting...!

• Like 10
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

57 minutes ago, campanulah said:

I just think that every line on this drama was there for a reason.

I agree, after marathoning episode 1-6, I realised that sometimes the writer would refer to previous conversations. 

I am not sure whether these two examples count. When SR failed to board the boat. She told RJH that he should be more compassionate (?), implying that sometimes he is allowed to tell white lies. In episode 6 when she asked whether she could succeed in Europe or whether her departure would affect JH, JH did not answer her as straight forward as he’s used to be. 

What make me appreciate this drama is the main leads’ characters. I don’t need another jackass falls in love with a pitiful female lead. 

@justamom Thank you for your clarification. As a non Korean speaker, I rely on the provided subtitle :D.

Now, I really miss WithS2’s subtitles :sweatingbullets:. If any of you was a WithS2’s contributor, thank you for all those years. You were a part of my twenties!

• Like 9
  • LOL 1

I just know that there is also Golden Disk Award today and tomorrow.

Maybe one of the reason they didnt air the latest episode is because of this award?

GDA one of the prestige award for idols right..

Some of the drama not airing last week because of KBS & SBS Award.

I guess instead didn't release any clip,it is better they show the previous episode.

Maybe to keep the rating momentum.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

after watching the one-and-only clip :heartbreak:released by tvn posted by dear @sharluvsenergy comrade, i thought i’ll throw out some finger hearts to the rest of the casts too!! (nope, not pyo chi su! :joy:)

i was really amused when park sung woong cameo as the taxi driver and singing the potato song.. :tounge_wink: he sang in When the Devil Calls Your Name and i thought he was really good too! 

Spoiler

and guess what, the baddie CCG actually has an official fanpage :open_mouth:

and to the hiongnim that our RJH loves and respects so much.. here’s his IG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, justamom said:

Feeling rather fed-up about the disappointing special! I'm just going to try and forget about this drama for a while since it's pretty clear they're quite behind on shooting...!

Well can I say K-Netz fans are PISSED! even more pissed than me about this special.

”I’m never watching this director’s work again.”

”I hate this director.”

”Why did they sell this special as ‘never before seen footage’ and then just showed us old scenes? Do they think we’re stupid? I’m fine with the production taking a break, just don’t do this kind of xxxx just to raise ratings.”

lah dee dah....

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Anyone notice in ep 5, whilst attempting to lighten the situation and lessen the hate the NK ahjumas had for Jung Hyuk after discovering that he had two fiancée, Se Ri compared her "love story" with Jung Hyuk to that of Romeo and Juliet. Seo Dan and Jung Hyuk's engagement was acknowledged and arranged by both parents, whereas hers and JH's was a forbidden love. Interesting how she nonchalantly spelt out what was going to be exactly their fate in coming days! 

On another note, I watched confidential assignment tonight because that was Hyun Bin's most recent role as a north korean. Too much angst and sadness, please, let this north korean soldier have a happy ending this time. Grant him his true love already! 

• Like 9

I wish they would give us more BTS!! Unless they are saving it for a Director's Cut DVD? I would totally welcome that!! (Anyone doing survey to have it produced? :P)

Anyway, I think there is part 2 coming up! Can next week just come quickly? I am dying from CLOY drought. :bawling:

• Like 7

woah i just closed my eyes & slept and this page/thread went up to 80!! amazing how all the comrades here don't waste any single moment to come here! kudos to you all for those clips, vids, artix etc. We're all hooked that's why!

@sadthe1st hmm i like Ha Seok-jin too when i first saw him in The Legendary Witch, he's cute, charming & good in acting, too bad it's just a cameo role! :(

300px-HaSukJin.jpg

Some BTS fr hancinema if it hasn't been posted here:

[Photos] New Stills and Behind the Scenes Images Added for the Korean Drama "Crash Landing on You"

photo1139133.jpg

photo1139132.jpg

photo1139131.jpg

Spoiler

photo1139145.jpg

Spoiler

photo1139144.jpg

Spoiler

photo1139136.jpg

• Like 8

Both of you are correct, and yes, one of the greatest difficulties of translating Japanese/Korean is that they are 'subject-less' languages, and the listener must make inferences/understand the context to understand the speaker's intention.

Similarly, by dropping the subject, the speaker is able to hedge, i.e. with a degree of ambiguity to his actual intention.

My translation:

Jeong Hyuk: "Why are you having a headache? You're going back soon, it should be making you happy." (좋아지는 마음 대신)

Seri's reply can be read two ways:

1) "I'm happy...I'm happy that's why I have a headache" (assuming she is replying directly to his conversation, but this reply doesn't make sense)

2) "I like X ... I like X that's why I have a headache." (좋아서...좋아서 생각이 많아)...but what is X? X is deliberately vague, but "I like that I'm going back that's why I'm having a headache"? Does that even make sense?

Quite obviously, and that's why Jeong Hyuk pauses, caught by the meaning of WHAT SHE IS NOT SAYING, which is:

I like you, that's why it's giving me a headache.

P.S. I also read Suki Kim's book....wrote something on my blog some time back:

https://jenweiting.com/2019/07/17/without-you-there-is-no-us-book-review/

Thank you for the explanation! :)  

Thanks also for sharing your blog post. It's an insightful read.

Takeaway from the book for CLOY as it applies to YSR - RJH communication process: Indeed, in a society like NK where people find expressing themselves in a straightforward manner a challenge, they become an expert at interpreting veiled remarks as well as silence. The silence at the end of the video says it all: they both know that they like each other. 

• Like 9
  • Insightful 1

Well can I say K-Netz fans are PISSED! even more pissed than me about this special.

”I’m never watching this director’s work again.”

”I hate this director.”

”Why did they sell this special as ‘never before seen footage’ and then just showed us old scenes? Do they think we’re stupid? I’m fine with the production taking a break, just don’t do this kind of xxxx just to raise ratings.”

lah dee dah....

@justamom Oh dear, I thought it was weird when they kept screen capping ep 2 and 3 on the schedule. K-Netz are fuming aren't they and worried about the ratings! May I get you to translate something for me please? 

Some BTS for now

7F641bO.gif

I cannot stop laughing when I'm with you~~

Mtormio.png

This scene would have been perfect with petals falling to the ground

Spoiler

R4qfLXP.gif

wuvQctZ.gif

GY48nON.jpg

• Like 10
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, dftio said:

Anyone notice in ep 5, whilst attempting to lighten the situation and lessen the hate the NK ahjumas had for Jung Hyuk after discovering that he had two fiancée, Se Ri compared her "love story" with Jung Hyuk to that of Romeo and Juliet. Seo Dan and Jung Hyuk's engagement was acknowledged and arranged by both parents, whereas hers and JH's was a forbidden love. Interesting how she nonchalantly spelt out what was going to be exactly their fate in coming days! 

On another note, I watched confidential assignment tonight because that was Hyun Bin's most recent role as a north korean. Too much angst and sadness, please, let this north korean soldier have a happy ending this time. Grant him his true love already! 

Hyun Bin was channeling his inner Im Cheol-ryung during RJH's fight scene with the village gangster. Although instead of the wet tissue roll, he used his belt to smack the baddies one by one. 

1 hour ago, Phoenix88 said:

I am new to soompi thread but i have been reading and just lurking arround. I am enjoying this thread its very entertaining :blush:

Welcome to the CLOY thread. Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the show (with funny gifs preferably :D)

• Like 10

51 minutes ago, Phoenix88 said:

I am new to soompi thread but i have been reading and just lurking arround. I am enjoying this thread its very entertaining :blush:

Welcome to our new comrade here:blush: glad you can join us here & don't just lurk around, the more the merrier! we hope to see you again :D

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

i think his looks spoke volume here as he's getting a little jealous or annoyed that she's having fun with the squads?

• Like 5
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1

It’s only a day of waiting but feel like eternity....:skull:

who kill you , why you all bones no meat :mrgreen:  , last time we see you , u were fight & screaming on TvN :joy:

# I need my Oppa right now  :tounge_wink:

5e10cf4a4b30a298363055.gif?download

5e10cf1542399585048679.gif?download

5e10cf2e57bc6824027761.gif?download

@triplem , @Lawyerh , @Sushimi , @Sarang21 , @ktcjdrama  Couldn’t you hide evidence  :joy:

Spoiler

This isn’t the way :joy:

68-F423-CE-A0-BA-4-F07-A6-F7-E94-A19-C9-

• LOL 15

3 hours ago, dftio said:

Hmmmm... Quite a number of people are worried about the ending because Seri mentioned about Romeo and Juliet. I am hopeful though, cos she also mentioned during their chimaek date that anyone who catches the first snow with the person they love, their love would be fulfilled. I definitely hope that's true!!

• Like 12

16 minutes ago, sharluvsenergy said:

Hmmmm... Quite a number of people are worried about the ending because Seri mentioned about Romeo and Juliet. I am hopeful though, cos she also mentioned during their chimaek date that anyone who catches the first snow with the person they love, their love would be fulfilled. I definitely hope that's true!!

@sharluvsenergy I think SeRi mentioned Romeo & Juliet to start but the North Koreans didn't understand so she equated to a very famous folktale that exists in both Korea / China. The tale of the cowherd (symbolising the star altair) and the weaver girl (symbolising the star vega) - their forbidden love led to them banished to the opposite sides of heavenly river (the milky way). The version that Koreans know it revolves around Jingnyeo (the weaver girl) that falls in love with Gyeonu the herder. Once a year, on the 7th day of the 7th month, a flock of magpies would form a bridge to reunite the lovers for one day. This is also why Chinese valentines day is on 7th July in the lunar calendar month.

5xHEt0Q.png

This is why SeRi insinuated the help she gets from Yeong Ae Eonnie is equivalent to the bridge that allows the lovers to meet.

0sUmJ73.png

From this, it seems like they're insinuated these star-cross lovers won't die at tragic death like Romeo and Juliette, but they're torn apart and only to meet very sparsely, once a year - in perhaps Switzerland?

• Like 12
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 4