[Drama 2019] Watcher, 왓쳐

larus

45 minutes ago, tinymel said:

(oh, final question from LO, who is sitting next to me, How long have you guys known each other? ... he thinks it is funny with all the interaction that none of us (not 100% sure about this) have ever met in RL... He also says he isn't jealous of 'hottie cop' but Ahjussi is a different story).

Tell LO that I, for one, have never met anyone from this thread.  ^_^  I'm just an old hermit from the American South, and I rarely even leave my house (just because I prefer being alone).  The people who know me (there are very, very few who do) would be shocked to know that I watch Asian dramas and post on forums.  :o  And if you met me, you wouldn't believe it either!  :lol: 

One of the things I really love about the people who post here is that their views are often so different than mine because their lives and their experiences are obviously very different so I enjoy hearing why people disagree.  I learn so much from everyone, and that makes me really happy.  (So that's me saying thank you to all the posters!)

It's really sweet that you have someone to be jealous for you!  LO sounds like "a keeper" (in other words, someone you should never let go of).

...........Really enjoying reading everyone's theories about who is the Big Bad and who isn't.  There are several characters I just don't trust, including the high-ranking woman cop (don't know her name).

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice reading soo many comments and we can share our thoughts together.

I don't believe in the rating as in one day, there are many dramas are airing at the same time so the audiences would watch one drama and the other dramas, they would definitely watch the repeat. 

So the rating you can't say just because many people watch that particular drama, other dramas are not popular or not interesting. 

For me, I'm watching Justice, Class of lies and Doctor Detective. So I have to time myself to watch three dramas in one day as all these three are aired almost the same time. 

On 7/25/2019 at 2:04 AM, titania1000 said:

It was so dense and good! The drama is really taking off!B)

I can't wait to read your thoughts!

Let me preface first that it's mainly questions and observations~ Trying to figure the whole picture out is hard haha so I'm enjoying reading everyone's theories here.

I think everyone seems to understand her goal: it's pretty clear she wants only to catch the guy who tortured her and killed her husband.

It's the way she uses the team to get there which is confusing: like you said it seems "convoluted" and "haphazard".

She greenlighted the plan to use her office and then stopped brutally the negociation and teamed with the CEO to kill OSD. 

But then it was revealed that it was fake and that she gave the team the tip about the coming attack against OSD. 

Attacked that it was also revealed  that she planned with Young Goon's father to help OSD and got a lever against the CEO.

And there's also the part where she went behind DCK's back and teamed up with KYG to unearth if DCK is a corrupted cop, going as far as accusing him of killing her husband and KYG's mother.:crazy:

DCK didn't lie when he said that she likes to complicate things for nothing!:lol:  

The way she goes from trusting to not trusting is really too fast! I wish she could calm down a little bit: KYG said she used to listen before making assumptions. It would have be good if she went to DCK directly to get his explanation on his meeting with of the CEO of Muil.

He's not any cop but the one with who she made this team. He stated clearly that he cares about what she wants, but he's just afraid to lose more people and wants to think the consequences before taking any action.

But obviously the writer used this conflict to create the plot, so i can't really blame her for doing what the plot commands! :P

Agree with your description of Taejoo! She moves very fast, 'changing sides' like lightning. (Even PSY acknowledges it in Ep06 - saying she's quick-witted, but not credible haha) Which makes it quite confusing for the viewer to follow, and like you said, DCK was right in saying she likes to complicate things :D

At the same time, I feel for her and respect her too. To come out even stronger from losing her husband and almost having her thumb cut off 7 years ago is no mean feat. Though not without losses too - how she became selfish (as she herself acknowledged in her convo with Young-goon at his house) and unfeeling after the incident. Young-goon mentioned in Ep02 how she would wait for him to speak first 15 years ago, but she'd changed since then.

I think she's getting more emotional as she gets closer to finding the thumb killer. I'm not sure if her moving so fast from trusting to not trusting as you mentioned, may mean she's getting more unstable. She's also still receiving psychiatric treatment. What will she do when she finally finds the murderer? Wondering if she'll take revenge (into her own hands...) or finally be able to just seek resolution.

This short scene in Ep06 felt poignant to me too:

flE9BT1.jpg

QuNVsXU.jpg

She's always seemed so cold and unfeeling, and very businesslike so far, but this scene showed to me that she still has emotions, likely suppressed inside while she keeps her cool outside and relentlessly searches for whoever did that to her 7 years ago.

I think that KJM was leading his own corruption ring and that he got double crossed when suspicions emerged that he was leaking informations to DCK. 

Either he was DCK's informer (i don't believe it's true based on his cold and estranged interactions with DCK in ep 5 and 6), and his wife was killed as a threat to keep him silent. Then he knows the murderer but didn't reveal the truth to protect his son's life.

Or either he was double crossed by someone very close to him: my theory is that KYG's mother was DCK's informer and was on the phone with him the night she died. She failed to give the evidences needed which prompted DCK to make fake ones (that's why he entered the appartment that night). And she was killed either by her husband or one of his corrupted associates. 

I think it's more interesting if after making us doubt KJM's responsability in the murder of his wife, the writer confirmed it in a last bold twist! My intuition tells me after the last episodes that KYG's memory was never in fact fuzzy and what he described was the truth.

It's possible that after the trial of his father and the burial, he let go partially of his memory of the events as a defense mechanism to survive, and that's why he's now confused (and confusing us). He tried to reach his father after the trial and was rejected: he might stll feel  guilty for denoucing him and possibly holding on the wish he made a mistake despite the appearances. 

But i admit that there's even more clues in the drama for KJM not being her killer: he showed concern about DCK's sincerity on protecting his son and he seemed himself sincere about it.

Which leaves another  major suspect that tried hard to look like a subordinate without agency: PSY.

It can't be a coincidence that he has the same  scar than HTJ. What if he did to her was what was done to him to force him to cooperate at one point but things went out of control with her husband?        

Still continuing on my theory: if  KYG's mother died because of his investigation, because he wasn't careful enough, i can imagine the devastation, regrets and guilt  he went through.

That would explain his fear to take more risks  and his obsession to save lives. It could explain why he became too so secretive.  

I like your theories! There was definitely some betrayal between KJM/DCK, with DCK saying he shouldn't have trusted him back then and KJM saying he doesn't trust DCK now :lol: Of the 5, the missing senior that DCK was talking about is probably also a key player in this, I think the show will delve into him soon, can't wait to find out more.

Re: Young-goon's memories of that night - people in DC have been debating quite a lot on it too. The glimpses we've seen so far seem to be from different angles, with some things different here and there, showing the fuzziness of YG's memories. There was this one angle (I can't find the pic now :( ) that seemed to show the killer with clothes similar to what DCK was wearing that night - so it may be him too. But YG currently remembers the killer as his father too...In any case, I think we can be sure he did not actually witness his mom being killed. He only saw the aftermath....KJM or DCK or whoever else could have just been 'planted' there as a scapegoat. As to who's the real mastermind, I really can't figure it out for now will leave to you all smarter ones who can better figure it out :)

(Just a sidetrack too that this reminds me of the drama Defendant too, in which the real killer was someone else haha)

For PSY, I don't think he would do that to HTJ. From his talk with DCK in the tunnel, it seems the incident also affected/traumatised him quite greatly. I doubt he would do the same thing to someone else. He also seemed genuinely surprised (doesn't seem like he knew her before) when they met in her office in Ep05. I could be totally wrong haha but that's how I think right now.

On 7/25/2019 at 2:42 AM, tinymel said:

It is making me more convinced that the actual bad guy is Director Park... especially after the conversation with Dad. Mainly because if Dad knows that deputy commissioner Park is the real bad guy then Dad can get away with asking for something *really*, *really* big like parole. Also DC Park has been overlooked for promotion and has to answer to a younger woman (though I don't think her sex matters). I like the idea that DO Park is setting JHR up as the fall guy. 'Yeah! Go investigate him!' Plausible deniability and all that.

People in DC are speculating quite lot on Director Park too! This corruption case is definitely bigger than just the 5 key people in that investigation team 15 years ago, I believe too that the real mastermind must be someone very senior in the police force who has a lot of power and is hard to take down. It'll be interesting if it turns out to be the female commissioner!

Am really enjoying everyone's posts and theories here so far too! Fun to see the variety of theories and how we all perceive things differently :)

Ep07 soon! Quick last post about Ep06 - just wondering about the linked conversations between HTJ and DCK in Ep06 on saving people (well and also HTJ/DCK's dynamics in general so far).

At the bar right after Jung Han Wook got abducted by Oh Sang Do, HTJ and DCK had this short convo:

QOHaTOK.jpg?1

h8PDWSI.jpg?1

G2sh8u7.jpg?1

And then when they managed to bring PSY back to the station, this continued on:

DCK: Remember when you asked me whom I'd save? I'm going to save both. Even if they don't need it, I'm still going to save them.

HTJ: What if you can only pick one? Then what?

(DCK didn't answer)

Wondering who was the 'both' that DCK wanted to save? Seeing how he gestured at PSY while saying it, I'm guessing maybe PSY and OSD? Saving OSD from carrying out his revenge/committing even more wrongs with Jung Han Wook?

DCK talks a lot about 'saving' people, even if they don't need to be saved. He does what he thinks is right (HTJ said this in Ep02 at the hospital), but at what cost? And is he doing what is right, or what he thinks is right?

While I don't think he is the final boss, he may have done things that were morally grey (?) in the process of saving people/doing what is right. Doesn't help that he's been rather secretive about his real intentions - when HTJ asked him what he wanted in Ep03 ('I'm just doing my job'), in Ep05 ('I just don't want people to die').

Still continuing on my theory: if  KYG's mother died because of his investigation, because he wasn't careful enough, i can imagine the devastation, regrets and guilt  he went through.

That would explain his fear to take more risks  and his obsession to save lives. It could explain why he became too so secretive.  

This sums up DCK very well :) Hope more is revealed in Ep07 about what happened back then.

50 minutes ago, titania1000 said:

On the set this week, SKJ received support from the actress Esom: she sent a coffee truck. 

Not sure how they know each other. Maybe  @Ameera Ali @Lawyerh @triplem who are big fans of him can help?

The Third Charm :D:lol:

Spoiler

9352C791-8B91-4F8B-99A2-068199E04D7F.gif

they share a kiss oops I mean work together :joy::mrgreen:

I notice Seo Kang-Joon & the actor playing Mr. Jang have a lisp when they speak.

It was so obvious Jae-Shik was the one that intimidated Song-Yi at the parking lot!:P

I'm just blurry on what's goin' on atm. There's just way too much to take in<_< I do wonder why Team Leader Mr. Do let Shin-Young go free? Even the female police commissioner look shady AF.  

I just love how bad@$$ Lawyer Han walks & the intro theme cues along with the titleB)  

After watching ep7, I'm sure Detective Do could not be the murderer.  Mr Park too as he had his thumb cut. 

I didn't expect Young Goon to bring his dad back to his house. As he said, he wants to watch him to make sure he don't do anything bad as he still don't trust his dad. 

We can see that Detective Do is concern about YG as he followed him when his dad came out of prison on parole. 

I think I can get it why Lawyer Han act that way. She wants to find out the person who attacked her and put all this behind her. 

At last they have found out what happened to the missing detective. He is the one out of six bodies who didn't have his thumb cut. 

Will wait for ep8... 

Just watched Ep07 with subs and everything's just getting more confusing haha

Saw in the forums a summary of who's suspicious of who right now:

TJ/YG suspicious of CK

CK suspicious of KJM

KJM suspicious of CK

If the killer really isn't among the 5, he/she must be laughing at all of them suspecting each other :joy: This would be exactly what he/she wanted LOL.

Upping my suspicions with the female commissioner too when she lingered behind to hear who JHR's source was too...

I'm still not sure what's the motive of the thumb killer and the common trend among the victims. So far, most of them are criminals and all of them got killed. But then we have PSY and TJ who had their thumbs cut but were not killed. And most recently in Ep07 - one of the detectives in the elite team of 5 who was killed but his thumb not cut. The killer seems to be rather organised and skilled, and seemed to have planned much beforehand, but these anomalies add more confusion to the mix. Are they slip-ups, or people who just happened to get in his/her way of fulfilling their purpose?

On 7/24/2019 at 9:41 PM, thistle said:

Tell LO that I, for one, have never met anyone from this thread.  ^_^  I'm just an old hermit from the American South, and I rarely even leave my house (just because I prefer being alone).  The people who know me (there are very, very few who do) would be shocked to know that I watch Asian dramas and post on forums.  :o  And if you met me, you wouldn't believe it either!  :lol: 

One of the things I really love about the people who post here is that their views are often so different than mine because their lives and their experiences are obviously very different so I enjoy hearing why people disagree.  I learn so much from everyone, and that makes me really happy.  (So that's me saying thank you to all the posters!)

It's really sweet that you have someone to be jealous for you!  LO sounds like "a keeper" (in other words, someone you should never let go of).

...........Really enjoying reading everyone's theories about who is the Big Bad and who isn't.  There are several characters I just don't trust, including the high-ranking woman cop (don't know her name).

I have just started watching this drama therefore I am still behind. However, I have the feeling that commissioner Yeom DS could be the main villain. She looks pretty suspicious to me. We heard in the first case that the cop wanted to act like the hero, while he was in fact committing a crime. Using a case in order to embellish his reputation and climb up the ladder... In the episode 5, YDS's reputation and ambition were mentioned and reminded me of the first case. Furthermore remember that DCK agreed only to investigate recent corruption crimes and not past cases and it is important because it looks like YDS is the one who might have profited the most. First, she is not in the picture but this doesn't mean that she was not involved back then. Besides, she is more powerful than the prosecutor JHR and PJW. In fact, DCK suffered the most as he was outcast by other police officers: he arrested his colleague aso. 

1 hour ago, rocher22 said:

That was an interesting episode.

I haven't watched yesterday's episode yet.  Instead, I thought I'd wait until the subs for today's episode came out, too, so I'll have a two episode Binge Watch.  :D

2 minutes ago, triplem said:

dad dead all bloody in the bath tub

:crazy: huhhhh what. Oh no! :( 

2 minutes ago, triplem said:

DCK stands and looks through the window straight at he

This guy! :angry: darn suspicious! 

YG is destined to have a pretty bad life... @Lawyerh let’s cry together.

Honestly...I’m still taking the fact that DCK is the killer with a grain of salt...I feel that it’s not as simple and up front as we might think..I honestly don’t think ocn is like this...

@triplemI feel that the story is trying to boast YG revenge level to continue his story. I honestly think they are going through that route. Using hatred as his weapon.

Feel like whatever is stored in YG’s memories will change according to whoever he thinks it might be. I honestly don’t really trust it as well. I just don’t feel that it’s that simple..like serious. Because if I look at it...it still doesn’t really give me the reason to believe it is DCK. If he is the one, why would he try to find evidence to find the killer? Wouldn’t he be hiding & destroying evidence? I just think that it’s not as simple as it is stated..there must be something more then midst the eye.

Archived