[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

6 minutes ago, shyguitar said:

5 years? Oh no. By then she would have turned 40. She needs to have a child before that age please. 

Oh my...

Initially, I was in the camp that believes that there's a need for a time jump to mature JH.

However, as their relationship progresses, I notice that JH is already very mature and dependable so I no longer think there's a need for a time jump for their relationship....unless obviously the writer is trying to milk the angst to make the audience tune to the drama...

The thing with time jump (especially a long one), you would need to re-start the relationship coz a person's thoughts and perceptions and priority may have evolved/changed during those times...also, even if their initial problems were no longer there (ex: JH's mom passed away), they will still have new problems to deal with....bottom line is I don't think we need a time jump and CSH and JH should just face their problems head on.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rosiepeonie188 said:

I've been spending my time reading 50 first pages of this thread. Strangely, after 30 pages i got to the point that i'm on board with this ship, wherever it may land. My worries have gone, and eventhough i came to the part where the story became so heartbreaking and some parts were unbearable to watch, i watched it with so much ease.

From the very start they've been stated this as melodrama.

...a heart wrenching romance, that turns both of their lives upside down.

...their worlds clash in a romantic, but sorrowful love story. 

... it was like a midsummer night's dream. 

So from the very beginning it was expected to have lots of angst. What i failed to predict is that i don't know that i'll be so invested to their love story. That Soo Hyun and Jin Hyuk are not just characters, they became alive, they are all of us. One has said, it hit too close to home.

I think now, I understand Soo Hyun so much better. She knew exactly that there will be so much angst, and a probable bitter ending by taking Jin Hyuk's hand, but she just can't resist his charm

Your comment was beautiful and I’m sorry to cut it, even though I also didn’t know I would become so strongly affected by these characters.  But what you said reminded me of what I said a lot of pages ago, when I still thought SooHyun was supposed to be the Little Prince.  

I’m not sure of that theory now, but if she is, then you’re quite right!  She did know that taking JinHyuk’s hand would lead to joy and also sadness, just like the Little Prince knew that if he wanted to return home, he’d have to allow the snake to bite him.  (Which is a terrible decision to have to make.)

Similarly with SooHyun— she has alll this baggage.  Her mother and her goals and manipulative nature is baggage.  Her father is baggage.  Her ex husband is baggage.  TaeKyung is baggage.  To a certain degree, SooHyun’s position as Donghwa CEO is baggage too.  

Everything that informed who she grew to be is baggage that weighs her down and prevents her from being “lightweight” enough to fly away home (meaning to JinHyuk).  

So now at the end of the story, SooHyun has a decision to make.  Finally, after wandering in the desert does she want to let go of all her baggage, let the snake bite her and be free to return home (to the warm home she and JinHyuk could build together) or will she stay stranded and alone.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yonaomi123 said:

Your comment was beautiful and I’m sorry to cut it, even though I also didn’t know I would become so strongly affected by these characters.  But what you said reminded me of what I said a lot of pages ago, when I still thought SooHyun was supposed to be the Little Prince.  

I’m not sure of that theory now, but if she is, then you’re quite right!  She did know that taking JinHyuk’s hand would lead to joy and also sadness, just like the Little Prince knew that if he wanted to return home, he’d have to allow the snake to bite him.  (Which is a terrible decision to have to make.)

Similarly with SooHyun— she has alll this baggage.  Her mother and her goals and manipulative nature is baggage.  Her father is baggage.  Her ex husband is baggage.  TaeKyung is baggage.  To a certain degree, SooHyun’s position as Donghwa CEO is baggage too.  

Everything that informed who she grew to be is baggage that weighs her down and prevents her from being “lightweight” enough to fly away home (meaning to JinHyuk).  

So now at the end of the story, SooHyun has a decision to make.  Finally, after wandering in the desert does she want to let go of all her baggage, let the snake bite her and be free to return home (to the warm home she and JinHyuk could build together) or will she stay stranded and alone.   

I thought Sh would release all of his luggage, 
because I saw that during yesterday's episode 
she no longer questioned public views as if he didn't care about his reputation
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mads129 said:

I thought Sh would release all of his luggage, 
because I saw that during yesterday's episode 
she no longer questioned public views as if he didn't care about his reputation

Perhaps you’re right.  But I feel like she has not made a firm decision yet.  She is still wavering between fully embracing life with JinHyuk vs life without JinHyuk.  That’s why SooHyun cried so much in ep14, because she didn’t know what to do.  Her heart is telling her one thing, while her head is saying something else. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, yonaomi123 said:

Perhaps you’re right.  But I feel like she has not made a firm decision yet.  She is still wavering between fully embracing life with JinHyuk vs life without JinHyuk.  That’s why SooHyun cried so much in ep14, because she didn’t know what to do.  Her heart is telling her one thing, while her head is saying something else. 

Hopefully what he does will be the same as in Episode 13, 
she prefers Jinhyuk. then the ending will be happy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@utkim

yay! dear, you're back!! Miss you like crazy. Please stay and spam about Boyfriend!

@dianss23

Hi chingu, thank you for posting that much needed thirst quencher of the balcony gif that we were deprived. It's much more intensive here... It makes ep 14 less heavy suddenly! haha......I imagine their honeymoon will be just as beautiful.  :wub:

• Like 11
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, khxy said:

Each week, a lot of talented viewers/drama fans will review and write their thoughts on that week episodes. I happen to follow this fan who writes beautiful essay each week, let me share what she writes for ep 14. I don't translate well but i hope i do her essay half justice.

The title for this week is <My life on the paper,  blown away by the wind>

In front of Jin Hyuk's mom who pleaded with her to leave her son, Soo Hyun is the killer of their ordinary happiness.

She says she constantly dream that her past and memories are always holding on to her ankle, just like a gloomy water ghost who wants to drag her down. But then one day in her dream, she is the ghost and this time she is holding on to Jin Hyuk and his family. There is Jin Hyuk who is smiling encouragingly at her but in the blink of an eye, he seems to be that gloomy ghost who wants to pull her down together: <You hurt us>.  She wakes up and trembles. She thinks that as long as she hold on tight, she will be able to reach the shore. Before this, someone told her: The ordinary tree on the shore is overwhelmed, if you let go willingly, you will drown but if you insist in holding on they will fall into the abyss with you.

Those who have lost something know how painful it is that's why they cherish whatever they have now. Soo Hyun's ordinary life was shattered, because she understands, she can't bear for others to go through it. She smiles at Jin Hyuk but her heart is in despair. In the end, a person like me is not fit to wish for a sun.  I am letting go so that you have a chance to live.

Looking back, the starting and ending of her love is a difficult one.

If she did not meet Jin Hyuk, with her looks, family background or capabilities, she will never know the meaning of inferior in her whole lifetime. In order to fulfill her parents, she sacrificed her marriage. Facing Jung Woo Suk, she calmly engaged in a 'business' that has zero benefit. So what if he is the only son of a Chaebol? it doesn't matter if there is no love. But meeting Jin Hyuk awakened all her inferiority, her heart flutters and then shrink back in fear. Her marriage that imprisoned her for 2 years is just like a scar that can never be healed, in fact , it is still aching as though it constantly reminds her of her past.

She says, meeting him at this age and after her divorce is unfair. If only i meet him when i was young...

Or maybe if i knew early on that i could find love one day, even if i need to go round&round, i will be waiting. Too bad, fate is playing a joke. If i could, i would be a blank piece till i meet you at my best moment.

Her distance is a futile one. Appreciating the paintings alone, but alas she was caught. At the moment when the light from Jin Hyuk's bicycle shone towards her, there was no way she could escape.

< I am good at holding back> i thought i hid you well, at such a deep,&cold place inside my heart. I thought if i don't bring you up, as the days passes by, you will be just like an ancient secret. Just that now, sleepless nights are getting longer and the white hair reveals my sadness.

Jin Hyuk carefully adjusted the bicycle's headlight, standing beside her <Let's enter a some relationships alright?> he gripped Soo Hyun's arms, his eyes full of hope and his voice sounds like as though he was saying a prayer.

What was Soo Hyun thinking at that moment? She says <I am so happy but then i am worried that his parents do not like me>.  She has embraced so many difficulties in her life , she is not afraid of demons or ghosts, only afraid of minds that are hard to fathom.

She accept it and thinks to herself to just treat it as a beautiful short- lived dream. I just need a little warmth. It's just that every moment spent with Jin Hyuk is too beautiful, she forgets when the clock strikes at midnight, the magic is going to disappear.

When she sees Jin Hyuk taking wedding pictures, she is overcome with emotions. Having worn a wedding gown in the absence of love, and now standing in front of the person she loves who wish to spend forever with her, is it possible? do i deserve it? It is already a blessing to meet my love, if i wish and hope, will i lose everything just because of my greed?

She hesitates when Jin Hyuk 'proposed' < i can cook well> but a skill that is normally praised by people is her shortcoming in her eyes. She rarely cooks, trying hard to forget because those reminds her of her past.

When Jin Hyuk's mom comes, she is not afraid, just  reminds herself calmly that < what's coming will come>. Cha Soo Hyun, you are too greedy, that's why Heaven is taking your gift back. If i don't promise to spend my life with him, is it possible to lengthen our time together? Kim Jin hyuk , such a wonderful man , is an extravagant for me. Once my dream is broken, it's time to wake up.

But Soo Hyun ah, he is your first love too, this is also your first time. You will never meet a man like him anymore, no other man will ever love you like he does. Be selfish a little, just hold him tight ok?

One lifetime, is really not that long

credit: syz

@khxy thank you so much for translating and sharing! I cried while reading this. It's so beautiful written and translated. It will break my heart, if Soo Hyun can't be happy with Jin Hyun at the end. :bawling: 

Spoiler

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, jl08 said:

The entire well-loved drama will go down in history as the most anti-climax romance if the ending is screwed up. It means the couple sacrificing for each other because they love each other......has come to nothing. It better come to something wonderful.

Writer-nim and PD-nim should read your post. 

So they wont go that route

It's funny how every week, we analyze and discuss about the episodes.

And then we form like a debate about which is most likely which.

Until every conclusion gets a little exaggerated the longer we wait.

And then the next episode comes and we form a different conclusion and then the cycle continues :joy::thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • LOL 17

23 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

@autumnight agree with your views. However the drama is not jarring with unexpected issues. Or major omissions. It is a melo drama so I wasn't expecting legal or medical accuracy. So dialed my expectations to only having a good romance drama.

Whatever the ending is next week, this has been a fun journey :D 

It's like an adult fairy tale with pure shoujo-mangaish romance, beautiful visuals and great emotional acting :wub: 

23 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

And maybe because I am Asian it takes a lot for me to react. Since I am used to unreasonable mothers and MIL's actions. The sense of entitlement that they seem to have interfering in their children's lives. My real life examples makes Kdramas mothers and MIL pale in comparison. I cringe more with what real mothers have done.

I've certainly seen and heard of mothers & MILs acting worse in real life :vicx: 

OT to the drama:

Spoiler

Real life can be so weird sometimes... In China we have this: 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/chinese-law-test-examines-crime-of-choosing-to-save-girlfriend-over-mother-a6671216.html

Paper two gave multiple choice options for sections on drug laws, roads, pollution, fraud, bribery, murder and other serious offences.

But Question 52 asked students about “crimes of omission”, posing scenarios including lifeguards failing to save a drowning child, a husband deciding not to rescue his wife during divorce proceedings, and someone letting friends drink poisoned coffee.

Option C told the story of a man who chose to save his girlfriend from a burning building over his mother, saying his actions amounted to a criminal failure to act.

China’s Ministry of Justice confirmed it was the correct option four days after the exam, saying that a son is legally obligated to save his parents over other relatives and loved ones, the Global Times reported.

Because in life, we apparently have to rank the people we love? 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, autumnight said:

Hide contents

Real life can be so weird sometimes... In China we have this: 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/chinese-law-test-examines-crime-of-choosing-to-save-girlfriend-over-mother-a6671216.html

Because in life, we apparently have to rank the people we love

Because in life, we apparently have to rank the people we love

JH told his mother that he loves 2 woman, equally but differently.

my heart always flutters, the way he reply to both his mom and CSH.

indeed he is a thoughtful gentleman.

wish there is a lot more of JH in real life.

3 hours ago, shyguitar said:

5 years? Oh no. By then she would have turned 40. She needs to have a child before that age please. 

What ? i did not observe that from this angle. True. Too old for babies so no time jump , please PD.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I have seen a lot of CSH slander because of her thought to break up.

But, like she confided in the tea lady, this right here, his mother's disapproval was the ONE THING SHE WAS AFRAID OF! And here it is happening. CSH doesn't want his mother to resent her. She doesn't want to cause a rift between JH and his mom. She doesn't want to shake the peace of his family. Also, this could be like a PTSD. She has already had one mother-in-law who disliked her and treated her like crap. This poor woman can't go through that again.

However, JH has some blame in this too. He really never spoke to his mother about CSH before she came over for dinner. When the image of the ramen date popped up, he remained quiet and didn't admit that it was him. When his parents came to the hotel for his mom's birthday, he didn't introduce them to her or even discuss his relationship with her then. Even when the article exposing their relationship came out and she saw his image on her son's phone, he didn't clarify or discuss anything with her then. 

His mother isn't proactive and prudent like his dad. She quietly sat back and let her imagination run wild and that is why she assumed they were just dating and playing around. She doesn't believe that CSH is in love with her son. She doesn't believe that she will marry her son and that she would want to be a part of their family. His mother is insecure about their class status and it has come to the forefront with this situation. Even when his brother got into the fight, JH decided to keep it a secret. Maybe, if he communicated with his mother more, things would be different. But then, maybe not. She gives me the impression that she is one of those people who has to see things to believe them. Talking things out simply won't do. 

All we can hope is that if there is a breakup, that it won't last long. If SH tries, but is hesitant, that JH will see it and know something else is up. I don''t know the direction the writer will go with this one, but I still think we will get a happy ending.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 6

20 minutes ago, Jemrie said:

Hoping in next episode jin hyuk will convince her for having courages and believe in their relationships.. and even make his mother accept her as she is

Reveal hidden contents

I carry you if you get tired.

I love it when sec Jang told SH that JH will brace her, hug her, carry her and bring her to the end of the world.

So SH, stay and do not run away from JH. Please n I plead you. Thank you.

Edited by bebebisous33
don't quote videos, gifs and pictures. Remove these next time please
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Just finished watching episode 13 and my heart broke for CSH... her relationship with JH was the one thing in her life that brought her warmth and happiness and she's so afraid of losing it that she's constantly holding herself back and telling herself not to hope too much out of fear that she'll lose all of it.

And then just as she's finally starting to hope for a future with JH, his mom asks her to break up with him. :bawling:

In the beginning of this drama, I was quite okay with the dram ending either way (them being together or apart). But with each episode, especially ep 13, I am really hoping for a happy ending where they end up together because my goodness, they've both been through a lot especially CSH. She's had an unhappy life and the woman deserves to be with a man who loves her and makes her happy.

I actually appreciated that scene where JH attempts to talk to his mom and all he gets to say is "mom you trust me right?". Even though the conversation pretty much ends there, I think it's such a poignant question. His parents obviously love and care for him and they have every right to be concerned and to want to protect him. But at the same time, he's also an adult and I think there comes a point when parents have to trust that they've raised their children well and hope that they are able to make the right decisions for themselves. So to me, I feel like that is where JH is. He is already an adult and his parents cannot be there to make decisions for him or protect him forever. At some point, they'll need to learnt to let go and let their son face challenges on his own so he can grow and find happiness. 

Now to start episode 14.....

• Like 16
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1