Quantcast
marykarmelina

[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

I finished watching E14. Secretary Mi Jin is really right. CSH relationship to KJH is her first true love. It is her first time to feel happiness and joy with her true first love. It reflects on how much pain she felt when asked by KJH's Mom to put a stop on her happiness. It is like you are being asked to deny yourself the oxygen to make you breathe. How can you possibly do that to yourself? You just want to be happy. After deflecting all the challenges at work and against her MIL, the most difficult part she is now facing is her right to be happy.

Will she be able to overcome this sorrow? Of course, she can overcome this. She is a strong willed person  On several occasion, she correctly made the right choice with regards to the hotel and to her relationship with KJH. This last hurdle for a happy life will just be peanuts to her. I'm thinking that the Tea Lady will do some steps to make their relationship go through with the test. I really can't imagine why the meeting with the Tea Lady was injected in the drama without any use for it. It wasn't made just to point the sorrow of CSH because she already brought out her heart with Secretary MI JIn in the food tent. The meeting with the Tea Lady will come in handy later on. I would also think that when KJH suggested to CSH for them to go for a vacation, it is a hint as to where the story will go through or maybe the happy ending. As I have said earlier, some segments are made in the drama so that they will become handy in the ending of the drama.

With regards to Congressman Cha, I really think that he will do something in the next two episode that will bring down the Taeggyong family. If I remember correctly, he said that merging his party to another one and not running for the presidency is just a first step of what will happen in the future. Corruption issues may be one of them. I think Congressman Cha will get a very powerful position in the government once the person he allowed to run becomes President. So I'm also rooting for Congressman Cha. Yehey!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, NongpeeP said:

Could CSH consider KJH and his opinion important too?

If so, maintaining KJH&CSH’s relationship is one of most important wish that KJH really needs in his life and he informed CSH many times. 

KJH also consider his family members significant too and could CSH trust KJH and let him take some time to handle this issue with his family members before deciding anything?

Some crucial decision in life and in love life can take longer time to sort thing out with oneself or others’, rather than repeatedly hurt another feeling by sharply doing by oneself regardless mutual opinions and inputs from two parties in relationship are essential. 

Could CSH give a chance to KJH to try by his way?

KJH has wise approach to handle people, including his family members whom he has been with for 30 years

This.. this is what is lacking in their relationship.. they should be able to trust the other person's ability to handle.. and communicate... they just worry too much about the other and try to handle the issue instead of communicating with each other

KJH lied to CSH instead of talking with her in ep12.. now CSH is doing the same.. instead of talking things out, she's going to breakup..i think this weakness in their relationship will be handled in the next 2 episodes.. being communicative in the relationship

And JH def knows that something is off with CSH, he def will not accept her breakup even if she tries.. which CSH should also know.. hope she doesn't come up with a reason that JH cannot dispute.. which is highly unlikely at this point in the series

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I am so sorry if I missed any of your analysis on CSH's mother. Did anybody pick up what is she going to do next? CSH's father was asking  her for help. To do what? It sounded serious and related to his strategy after stepping down from the election. Help me out... Thanks...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, twtwb said:

Contrary to the view that Cha Soo Huyn is being "unreasonable", I therefore find her thoughts, acts, and considerations to totally realistic, reasonable and understandable. and I believe (I hope I will not be proved wrong) that Kim Jin Huyk would agree with me when he finds out and that he would come to love her even more instead of criticizing her.

Nice summation. :)

56 minutes ago, NongpeeP said:

I have been understanding CSH, much more than KJH for Encounter ep.1-13 because I believe in love with reality and factors in life as same as CSH, rather than love is love as KJH but just only in Ep.14, I can not understand why CSH did not priortize KJH’s wish and his happiness (and also CSH’s happiness) in her thinking scenario when other situation are more favorable till break up has popped up too often in her mind.

I don't think it's that she's not prioritizing JH's wishes nor her wishes. I actually think that some of it comes from a feeling of being inferior and not good enough for JH. To the external world, SH is the one with money, a thriving business, a well known family, and thus the "higher" or more valued of the couple. Even JH's mother tells SH that JH is an ordinary man and no match for a highly born woman like SH. Btw, this assumes that one is familiar with how South Koreans think about class as indicated by birth/background/education.

However, for SH, those aren't the things that she values. Rather, she values the warm, closely-knit family that JH has, and the down to earth values that JH and his family have. Actually, having a close family with a mother who cooked food for the family and other normal demonstrations of having an abundance of familial love was something that she had envied her childhood friends. So, SH, despite her material advantages, seems to think that she's not deserving of JH. It is not that she thinks that she will ever waver in her love for JH or even his love for her, it is that she fears that being with her will somehow break JH's spirit or damage him and his family. And, as both SH and her father have alluded to, this is something that SH has had to live with for most of her life, and not something that someone who hasn't had to live with could truly appreciate. Thus, while JH may say that he's fine and still wants to be with her, she may think that is a naive viewpoint that he may come to regret. I also think part of SH is wondering how much JH will suffer being with her, and whether she could bear to see him go through that. JH himself is starting to understand how his relationship could negatively affect his family as well, and thus is getting a better understanding of the consequences of being with SH that he's not only willing to undergo, but he's asking his family to undergo.

That lack of self-confidence is compounded by the fact that SH sees herself as used goods, having already been married and divorced, not to mention being older than JH. I found SH's musings about the bouquet highly poignant. I think she may have been asking how long the bouquet could last without withering as a proxy for herself. Right now, she's beautiful enough to attract JH. Yes, his love isn't that shallow, but appearances matter, and I'm talking about SH's lack of self confidence.

Anyway, I still think of this as a positive development in their relationship, as difficult and painful as it is. And, I still think that JH and SH will ultimately come through this with a stronger relationship, one that will assuage JH's mother's fears. After all, the true test of any relationship is time.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 7

I still believe it will be a happy ending, just a last trial they have to overcome, just like SHK said at the presscon “our cute little drama”... 5 days to go... i will miss this kdrama so much

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Sh and Jh are the same, hiding their worries behind a smile, and suffering by themselves. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Nice summation. :)

I don't think it's that she's not prioritizing JH's wishes nor her wishes. I actually think that some of it comes from a feeling of being inferior and not good enough for JH. To the external world, SH is the one with money, a thriving business, a well known family, and thus the "higher" or more valued of the couple. Even JH's mother tells SH that JH is an ordinary man and no match for a highly born woman like SH. Btw, this assumes that one is familiar with how South Koreans think about class as indicated by birth/background/education.

However, for SH, those aren't the things that she values. Rather, she values the warm, closely-knit family that JH has, and the down to earth values that JH and his family have. Actually, having a close family with a mother who cooked food for the family and other normal demonstrations of having an abundance of familial love was something that she had envied her childhood friends. So, SH, despite her material advantages, seems to think that she's not deserving of JH. It is not that she thinks that she will ever waver in her love for JH or even his love for her, it is that she fears that being with her will somehow break JH's spirit or damage him and his family. And, as both SH and her father have alluded to, this is something that SH has had to live with for most of her life, and not something that someone who hasn't had to live with could truly appreciate. Thus, while JH may say that he's fine and still wants to be with her, she may think that is a naive viewpoint that he may come to regret. I also think part of SH is wondering how much JH will suffer being with her, and whether she could bear to see him go through that. JH himself is starting to understand how his relationship could negatively affect his family as well, and thus is getting a better understanding of the consequences of being with SH that he's not only willing to undergo, but he's asking his family to undergo.

That lack of self-confidence is compounded by the fact that SH sees herself as used goods, having already been married and divorced, not to mention being older than JH. I found SH's musings about the bouquet highly poignant. I think she may have been asking how long the bouquet could last without withering as a proxy for herself. Right now, she's beautiful enough to attract JH. Yes, his love isn't that shallow, but appearances matter, and I'm talking about SH's lack of self confidence.

Anyway, I still think of this as a positive development in their relationship, as difficult and painful as it is. And, I still think that JH and SH will ultimately come through this with a stronger relationship, one that will assuage JH's mother's fears. After all, the true test of any relationship is time.

@stroppyse

Do you know how slowly I read your comment, I paused to think about CSH’s background and CSH’s actions in each scene in ep.14, before reading till the end.

I read twice and ask myself whether I understand or not, yes I understand much better and I am wondering:

- how can CSH solve her underestimation herself permanently?

Otherwise, KJH might be anxious or in panic disorder from being in relationship with this kind of CSH with uncertainty to his mind. 

- how can KJH do to comfort what CSH feel and would CSH give a chance to KJH to give CSH such comfort?

1 hour ago, dukesa1122 said:

The problem here is, KJH doesn’t even know how much his mother CAN DO. Until now, he only thought that his mother was avoiding the topic. It changes things. He needs to be more agressive with his mother because his mother was agressive to CSH when she went out of line and used CSH insecurity against her.

While I am with you that CSH shouldn’t go on with the break up, I still believe that KJH needs to make his family understand (especially his mom) what he is getting himself into. He’s basically in a relationship with a celebrity. There are certain things they should and shouldn’t do at this point. It is more than accepting her as a gf of their son but all the baggage that comes with her. Can you see how much CSH will be asking for from KJH and his family? It is alot. I truly understand why she wants to end things than to bring his life upside down, rather his life and his family’s life. More than this though, I want both to realize that they will overcome the hurdles together, not apart.

@dukesa1122

Eventhough KJH did not know his mom’s action but he felt his mom’s dissent that’s why he approached his mom with the way suit her style, this might not be harsh and fast because it might result in more severe objection.

Let his mom absorb what he conveyed his true feeling and begged for his mom’s understanding.

@nikir

Love might include caring or protective actions.

“And JH def knows that something is off with CSH, he def will not accept her breakup even if she tries.. which CSH should also know.. hope she doesn't come up with a reason that JH cannot dispute.. which is highly unlikely at this point in the series”

Your comment in this part made me thrill whether CSH learnt from her ex-husband how to find way to break up that KJH can not object. I remember that Secretary Jang mentioned sending sth to CSH’s personal email, not office email, is it the clue?

I have watched your clip for a couple times and made me wanna see SHK in real life indeed.
Extras and pedestrians in Encounter in dating scene ep.14 are so lucky to see both real Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Kyo.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

It is going to be a hard decision for Jin-Hyeok as well. He has suffered because of people around Soo-Hyun but will he let his family "suffer" as well just because he loves her?:weary: 

Although this "suffering" is only a short time thing comparing to a long lasting ever after:love: so I hope both, Jin-Hyeok's mother and Soo-Hyun comes around.

Not sure how it is going to go down but can't wait for the last two episode:glasses:

Here is a recap of episode 14: https://www.asiandrama4u.com/encounter-episode-14-recap/ 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, twtwb said:

More than anyone else, Cha Soo Huyn understands how Kim Jin Huyk treasures and values his family. 

More than anyone else, Cha Soo Huyn appreciates the happy and peaceful atmosphere that exists in his family.

Thank you for your beautiful sharing. I really appreciate that you could put things in perspective so well.

I agree with all that you've pointed out and I love the above reminders. It's too apt because it brings us back to the most important consideration for a possible break up - it's precisely because of the above 2 reasons that she might be disrupting if she carries on with KJH. She can't bear to put him in a difficult position with his mum and she can't bear to be the one to bring pain to his family too. Having witnessed JM being hurt over their dating is enough for her. Do we want her to wait for more to happen to his family before his mum comes to her again? That'll be worse.

May I add one more:

More than anything else, CSH is the last person to want to break up with KJH because she loves him so much, enough to violate her contract and forego her dream - Donghwa Hotel. She put him first above anything else. She went to great trouble to get the camera for him because she knows it means a lot to him. She was concerned about him settling down in Sokcho and she spoke with HI to find out. She longs to be part of his family with all the happiness that she had witnessed. She felt her emptiness even more profoundly after that dinner when she went home. She wanted to experience the company and  warmth of a homemeal so she organised one at her home. She found a guy who matters more than anything else in her life. I doubt she wants a breakup at all.

She, of all people, would know what it's like to subject KJH's family to unfair judgement in the public glare. She should know the trauma that his family will face. I can say that she's an amazing person because she does not want to let them suffer because of her; because his family did not sign up for it and because she understands his mum is hurting a lot and where she's coming from. 

Not a word came out from her mouth during the fiasco. She sat there quietly sobbing. She could have objected and use their love as a negotiating tool to carry on with the relationship. She could say that she can't leave KJH or he can't leave her. She didn't. Because she could see his mum suffering already and it pains her so much. She must have felt shameful of her past and sorry that it had affected his mum and family so much. These all came after the happy meal she shared at their home. It was false hope after all.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

RA. D’s Fairy Tale, Part 8 in Encounter’s OST

The lyrics is so spot on

Especially when they played this when CSH was lying down, crying while remembering her memories with KJH on her bed. :tears:

Here’s the eng trans lyrics:

A fairy tale where you, whom I love
Comes to me and beautifully kisses me when I open the door

A fairy tale where I hold you and dance
On a street when it’s just us two at night

Every day, I spent days like that with you
In my fairy tale-like dreams
I didn’t want to open my eyes

I don’t want to wake up and go back
I want to hold you and dream a little longer
All of these stories seemed like they’d disappear

If I open my eyes

Sometimes, I think about being where you’re not
I get so afraid, I freeze up

That kind of day doesn’t exist for me
My days have fallen into you

In all my moments, you’re there, that hasn’t changed
I’ll leave the spot you used to be in, just as it is

My heart is completely filled with you
There’s still so much I want to do for you

If I open my eyes

That kind of day doesn’t exist for me
My days have fallen into you

Day by day, though it hurts, to the point where my heart falls
I’ll always remain here like this

If I open my eyes

My days that have fallen into you
Are just a lonely fairy tale

• Like 9
  • Sad 6
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, NongpeeP said:

Your comment in this part made me thrill whether CSH learnt from her ex-husband how to find way to break up that KJH can not object. I remember that Secretary Jang mentioned sending sth to CSH’s personal email, not office email, is it the clue?

Yes that's the worry . She also said to WS that he should have been considerate enough not to hurt the other person's feelings when breaking up.. how can CSH breakup with JH without hurting his feelings?  Maybe time off ? Or would she just go overseas for sometime or make JH go abroad? It had been hinted in earlier episode that ppl are also sent abroad.. maybe she thinks she could just put distance n pretend to lose interest in him ( she did thank WS for teaching her abt breakup)... but these are things that happen in mid of series not towards the end..

CSH may tell JH to live with today's beautiful memory for a year and as a time off.. again? 

Also while it's common in kdrama where one of the otp goes on a perfect date n tries to breakup ( why anyone would do that if they really want to breakup is beyond me .. noble thing doesn't work in real world).... wouldn't expect that in this thoughtful and beautiful kdrama.. so still hoping for no breakup or something unexpected!!

Sec Jang mentioned something abt overseas business reg that email.. maybe CSH uses that trip as an excuse to put distance

• Sad 5

7 hours ago, stardustvoid said:

You worded this so beautifully. I can relate to this, I am not a mother but this hit close to home with my experience with my own mother. I’m sure the others can relate to this too

Anyway, I also agree that JH won’t give up that easily. I’m also sure that SH won’t go on with her plans (I’m still rooting for you CSH!)

Aaaaaand I’m also sure that somehow we’ll end up in Cuba again. They spent a month filming there, right? :D

Now that I've calmed down a bit, I wonder how can she do it (if she really say it to him)

she can't just cut ties with Jinhyuk unlike some couples out there,

same workplace, he knows where her home is, he knows where to find her and talk! (and he is very persistent)

even IF Jinhyuk can't get through her, he'll go to Mijin, Mr Nam (or even Soohyun's dad), or chat with his advisor, the tea lady!

I know the tea lady has promised not to tell anyone a word, so I'm totally relying this on Mijin! (Jinhyuk might have known, but I really want Mijin to tell him he is Soohyun's first love)

Need to get those cupids working, everyone is rooting for them except the mothers

She is willing to go against her own mother, her ex in-law but not Jinhyuk's mother

cause she knows Jinhyuk loves his family dearly, I don't expect she will be the one hinting to Jinhyuk it's his mum though

=

Speaking of Cuba is there any scenes have yet to be aired? Fan accounts / photos / videos?

• Like 7
  • Sad 3

18 minutes ago, NongpeeP said:

- how can CSH solve her underestimation herself permanently?

Otherwise, KJH might be anxious or in panic disorder from being in relationship with this kind of CSH with uncertainty in his mind. 

- how can KJH do to comfort what CSH feel and would CSH give a chance to KJH to give CSH such comfort?

I think this is why I say that I see it as a positive development for them to be facing these questions in their relationship.  I think it's just something that SH has to decide that it's okay for her to feel this way for JH, and that she can is good for JH as JH has been good for her. That's one of the issues of being raised to always be dutiful. One doesn't necessarily place proper value on one's own desires outside of duty. Even the hotel is something that she took on because it was what she had, and now she feels pride in the hotel, but also a sense of duty.

With JH, she gets freedom and approval to be herself, but she's still somewhat figuring out who herself is. With JH, she's so different from the person that she was. In episode 14, she even mentions how she had been a picky eater, but with JH, she happily eats everything that he puts before her, and she discovers that she actually likes them.

As with JH's mother, I think what SH needs is time to feel more secure in her and JH's love, and also in her ability to protect their love, but also to fully realize that their love is not a matter of duty for her or for JH, but a matter of willing (and joyful) acceptance.

I think JH is a fantastic boyfriend, but I think he will also become an ever stronger partner to SH the more he understands what her world is like and that by dating her, he will have to manage that world somewhat. JH is growing in his ability and his knowledge as well. I think his understanding of what he's doing rather than a naive disregarding of it, plus his acceptance that he still wants to be there is what SH needs as well. She needs to understand that being with her isn't going to harm him, or at least, that it's not going to be just about harming him, but also helping him because they both love each other. I think for whatever reason, JH has gotten there first in terms of accepting not only how he feels, but that he's willing to do what he has to in order to be with her. SH now has to get to the same place that she's willing to do whatever it takes to be with JH.

As I've said, I'm thinking SH getting on her knees in front of JH's mother may sway her. JH's mother is a traditional woman, and while it'll horrify her to have SH on her knees in front of her, that may also impress her that SH is really serious about staying with her son. 

Anyway, the more I think about eps 13 and 14, the more respect I have about the way the relationship development is being shown. I'm really looking forward to the final episodes to see how they resolve the final issues, plus give us lots more coupley scenes so that we can say goodbye to our OTP knowing that they are happy in their world. :) 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

Hello everyone, first time wrote a comment here.

I think both Jin-Hyuk and Soo-Hyun really need to communicate and address all of their problems. They both are facing so much difficulties from everyside and the only reasonable solution is to overcome it together. I hope they can sit together and list all of the obstacles they need to face. Both fathers blessing are already given to them and that's huge thing. Mr Nam, Sec Jang, Daecan Hyung, Jin-Myung, Lee Seonsangnim and even Hye-In are already root and cheer for them. 

Both Jin-Hyuk and Soo-Hyun are the same for keeping some information for themselves in order to not making the others uncomfortable or worry and that's really not healthy for the relationship. On the latest episode is like when jin-hyuk doesn't tell the reason why jin-myung arrested just so soo-hyun doesn't feel guilty, or soo-hyun doesn't tell anything to jin-hyuk about her meeting with his mom just so jin-hyuk doesn't feel bad about her mom's action. Even if soo-hyun really know and understand jin-hyuk character to the point that she can predict what will he do if he have known, but it can't justify his action for keeping it for jin-hyuk. Vice versa for jin-hyuk too that he should share and discuss with soo-hyun about what happen with jin-myung.

Just talk to each other properly for god sake, speak openly every little problems and worries and take action together. And the happy ending might happen.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bubblechoco said:

Speaking of Cuba is there any scenes have yet to be aired? Fan accounts / photos / videos?

Not that I know of. Most or all fan photos are from episode 1 and 10

Unless they were filming indoors in Samuel’s garden of love

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, nikir said:

Yes that's the worry . She also said to WS that he should have been considerate enough not to hurt the other person's feelings when breaking up.. how can CSH breakup with JH without hurting his feelings?  Maybe time off ? Or would she just go overseas for sometime or make JH go abroad? It had been hinted in earlier episode that ppl are also sent abroad.. maybe she thinks she could just put distance n pretend to lose interest in him ( she did thank WS for teaching her abt breakup)... but these are things that happen in mid of series not towards the end..

I think what SH had learned from WS in terms of breaking up with someone was to not do it in a way which left that person feeling hurt, humiliated and shamed by the world.

So, SH has a final date with JH where they do things that she remembers JH had said that he wanted them to do. She had been a bit skeptical at the time he mentioned it, especially because of the attention they would attract, but this time she did everything and was even publicly affectionate, holding hands, etc. Then her plan is to tell him that they will break up after they've had that date.

And, of course, I'm hoping that SH finds that she can't go through with it, or that JH won't accept it, so the break up part doesn't happen. Can't wait for ep 15 to see what direction they take it in.

If you think about it, a lot of the issues have been resolved really other than JH's mother and wresting the final control of Donghwa Hotel from Taekyung Group. Even WS has been mostly wrapped up with SH finding out his true intentions behind the divorce. And, there are also a couple of side stories that I would like to see some development on, namely Driver Nam and Team Leader Kim, plus possibly JM and HI.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Guys just want to get your opinion regarding JH’s proposal to SH. Is he asking her to marry him or is it just asking her if there’s a possibility? I mean, he’s giving clues where he’s comfortable with her place and all. It’s just all too sudden, but I love it. It somehow tells us where they are headed. 

• Like 6