[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

@leedonghaek thank u for always bringing beautiful pictures..

At last I can properly watch epi 13 n 14 in a row..whoaa, really watched it full have a different effect, but surely my tears goes down again.. I wanna give highlight for some event that I feel give a deep impression for me :

1. When JH accompany SH home after dinner n they talk on the street

2. JH come to SH apartment to give a bouquet for her n kneeling down

3. At the ballroom when SH want advice from him+a peck that JH give to her of course

4. At the board meeting

5. After dinner at SH apartment (sleeping in his lap+kneeling down for second time)

6. JH mom want SH to break up with her son

7. SH talked with Sec.Jang

8. SH talked with Mrs.Lee

9. SH father not going for presidential

10. JM fight 

11. Sad date 

12. SH talked with WS 

I already read most of your feeling, analysis, n most of it I agree at some degree.. Personally, I think what SH feels right now, its something that every couple would feel..U don't want your partner to be hurt nor every person around them, u just simply wanna see them happy.. She is sad,yes very much especially when your love one doesn't know the reason of it n SH refused to tell JH..its torment her inside, I feel for her..no, but ALL of us feel her sorrow..but JH mother, we really can't blame her fear, she is not ready nor get used with the spotlight.. it's not that I'm in her side, every mother will react if something bother her family n this whole situation made her reacted in a way that many of us see it as cruel..not like JH father that met SH with the intention to make sure if he have to support his son or not, his wife its the opposite, she wants to break it of..which I think of some sort of disbelieve/disappointment in JH with his mother act (who wouldn't?) if he finds out later 

N I want SH remind herself what she said to her ex hubby, it went something like this: you have consider your partner feeling when you want to brake off (feel free to correct me, if I'm wrong :sweatingbullets:) so I hope SH will consider JH feeling n I want her remember all of JH promises to her that he will always by her side until her last breath, not just a dream.. both of them already walk this rough path to far just to end it like that..

P.S : SHK n PBG thank u very much to make my eyes puffy n make my feeling uneasy for the rest of this week (I'm not complain though :phew:) just bring it the HAPPY ENDING Tvn!! (don't u feel sorry for my puffy eyes? n my heart?)

• Like 19
  • LOL 4

Wow!

Our drama is under the Popular Now thread and it’s not even our airing day.

24 minutes ago, redbeanbuns said:

N I want SH remind herself what she said to her ex hubby, it went something like this: you have consider your partner feeling when you want to brake off

This is one good thing to point out @redbeanbuns.! Maybe because of that realization, CSH wont break it off like WS did to her. Some of us actually thought that she’ll immitate WS’s style of breaking up with her but because she said that WS ought to have thought about what the other person went through because of the divorce then she wouldn’t do what WS did to her to KJH.

I still vote for no break up!

• Like 13
  • LOL 4

1 hour ago, dukesa1122 said:

@stardustvoid

no need for benches, they can just lie on the grass :wub:

Now that I think about it, it is A BIT similar to NH.

1) The guy from NH owns a bookshop and is a book worm himself

2) The guy lead has this funny and stupid roomate that’s very similar to PO

3) Girl lead is a celebrity

4) Girl lead announced at the press con who the guy is

Loved Notting Hill..I think after rewatching Encounter many times, I will watch Notting Hill again to find more similarities :)

27 minutes ago, dukesa1122 said:

I still vote for no break up!

I am sure thats the popular vote here :D

@leedonghaek Thank you for posting lovely gifs everytime..i come back and watch those gifs when I dont have time for rerun or when am just thinking abt Encounter ( which is pretty much all the time this weekend) :wub:

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

I just rewarched that scene , Sh and Ws... 

Sh said that she was ridiculed and gossiped after the divorce... there are several ways of parting and should consider the feelings of others in doing that.

I have Jh in mind when she said this. This is what will happen to Jh if they part ways. 

Watching that scene is like seeing Jh as Sh and Sh as Ws. If they said  those words to each other, they will both live miserable.

No to break up.

Since Jh mom dilemma is Sh being famous and  being rich and being a CEO. There is a probability that Sh give up all of these and live  an ordinary life . Her father told her to live happily and Jh is her happiness. 

The last scene at ep 14,  is just like the hotel lobby scene. Jh smile is just like that as well as Sh teary eyes, and those words they said in the  voice over, just the same.  Maybe similar to this is what we can expect on ep 15.

The theory of Sh will be missing in action is so unlikely. There are many issues that need to be resolved with only 2 remaining  episodes.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, roshzanna said:

There is a probability that Sh give up all of these and live  an ordinary life . Her father told her to live happily and Jh is her happiness. 

I hope so and not because of the mother but because of them staying together, living in Cuba and dancing Salsa untilthe early morning hours. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

56 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Also, not sure if I read this correctly since it was in passing, but @thistle, did I read that you're thinking of leaving this thread over negativity? If so, nooooo, please don't. Or please come back if you did. We may not always agree with where we think the drama is going or how its handling situations, but it's always good to read you. Plus, I think we are in the minority in being able to understand JH's mind and not thinking that she's completely evil for being concerned about her son. Unlike SH's mother and WS' mother who are evils personified.

Thanks for tagging me and for your kind words. 

Yes, I did leave the thread because I was annoyed by the nastiness that was aimed at JH's mom.  It was tiresome.  And it wasn't the first time I left the thread either for a similar reason (it was the third, to be honest) but due to different characters.

Here is what I believe:  everyone has a right to disagree but No one has the right to be disagreeable.

It is possible to dislike something and say so without resorting to doing the whole burn-and-destroy thing.  I feel as strongly about this drama as anyone else.  There are characters I dislike, too.  But I want to try to understand what they are doing and why.  Just screaming about what I don't like really wouldn't teach me anything, and even when it comes to dramas, I want to learn to become a better person.  And screaming louder than anyone else does no one any good.

Being a better person sometimes means walking away to keep my sanity.  I just didn't see the point in trying to battle it out because I love Encounter but I would Not continue to love it if I began to be infected by anger.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Just want to share the eng lyrics of their ost part 8 Ra.D - Fairytales

I kept seeing Jin hyuk teary eyes when hearing/reading those lyrics, along with his words to So hyun when he gave her his peony proposal

*a very very sad lyrics :tears:* (Trans credit to popgasa)

A fairy tale where you, whom I love

Comes to me and beautifully kisses me when I open the door

A fairy tale where I hold you and dance 

On a street when it’s just us two at night

Every day, I spent days like that with you In my fairy tale-like dreams

I didn’t want to open my eyes I don’t want to wake up and go back I want to hold you and dream a little longer

All of these stories seemed like they’d disappear If I open my eyes. Sometimes, I think about being where you’re not I get so afraid, I freeze up

That kind of day doesn’t exist for me

My days have fallen into you

In all my moments, you’re there, that hasn’t changed. I’ll leave the spot you used to be in, just as it is

My heart is completely filled with you 

There’s still so much I want to do for you 

I don’t want to wake up and go back I want to hold you and dream a little longer

All of these stories seemed like they’d disappear If I open my eyes. Sometimes, I think about being where you’re not I get so afraid, I freeze up

That kind of day doesn’t exist for me

My days have fallen into you

Day by day, though it hurts, to the point where my heart falls.

I’ll always remain here like this I don’t want to wake up and go back

I want to hold you and dream a little longer

All of these stories seemed like they’d disappear If I open my eyes.

Sometimes, I think about being where you’re not I get so afraid, I freeze up 

My days that have fallen into you

Are just a lonely fairy tale

• Like 8
  • Sad 6
  • Thanks 1

Screenshot_20190118-204446_Viu.jpg?zoom=3&resize=360%2C218&ssl=1SCREENCAPTURE FROM TVN

K-DRAMA

Key Moments In Episode 14 Of “Encounter”

By abbyinhallyuland | January 19, 2019

PAINTING AN EMOTIONALLY BEAUTIFUL CHAPTER, EPISODE 14 OF ENCOUNTER MIGHT PUT VIEWERS ON SILENT TEARS BECAUSE OF ITS STUNNING POIGNANT CONFRONTATIONS.

Looking back on Song Hye Kyo’s roles in melodramas, in a way, this particular episode of Encounter will make her loyal fans validate why she has secured a niche in the genre.

Encounter
Viewers have all suffered and who knows even in the cusp of creating a drive for a movement to eliminate meddlesome-mothers, who want to decide what happiness is for their children after that episode 13 “please break up with my son” moment in Encounter.

So the honest talks that ensued after seem heading to the direction of resolving the love couple’s last standing road block.

Encounter
A STRONG FENCE FOR YOUR DAUGHTER

Carrying the weight of the conversation with Jin Hyuk’s mother, Soo Hyun loses herself in space. Her only friend and secretary senses something wrong since Soo Hyun’s meet up with Jin Hyuk’s mother, so she tries to ask Dae Chan if he knows something.

In contrast to the disheartening talk between Soo Hyun and Jin Hyuk’s mother, Congressman Cha meets the man loved by his daughter to give his full blessing to him.

Spoiler

Encounter

“THERE’S A LIMIT TO HOW MUCH WE CAN DREAM TOGETHER.”

On a weekend’s night, Mi Jin meets Soo Hyun at a cart bar to wallow in soju, and discusses her woes about her relationship with Jin Hyuk.

Refusing to reveal Jin Hyuk’s mother’s request, Soo Hyun shares her inhibitions if she suits her boyfriend’s family. Being a true friend to Soo Hyun, Mi Jin faintly scolds Soo Hyun for worrying about things when all that matters is the two of them being happy in love.

“IT’S YOUR FIRST TIME TO HAVE YOUR FIRST LOVE TOO.”

Reminding Soo Hyun how her man is not the type to be worried of things that they can work on together as a couple, Soo Hyun faintly utters how she is the only one bothered about it.In a breaking voice, Mi Jin stares at her best friend, and tells her that it is also her first time to love for the first time. Tears welled from Soo Hyun’s eyes matching the crying face of Mi Jin.

Soo Hyun burst into tears while desperately uttering how she does not want to break up with Jin Hyuk. Comforting her friend, she encourages her to be selfish, and goes for her one great love.

But Soo Hyun is resigned to the idea of how her complicated world just like what Jin Hyuk’s mother reiterated will only make the man she loves with all her heart suffers. Not knowing how to get past the agonizing emotions that drown her, Mi Jin reminds her that she can only be by her side, watching all the storms that will happen in her life. But Jin Hyuk will be a different story, since he will be there to embrace her, carry her, and be with her till the end.

Encounter

SOO HYUN’S SOLITUDE

Jin Hyuk drives Soo Hyun to the countryside to get some fresh air, and visits a gallery. A painting particularly catches Soo Hyun’s eyes, which gives the feel of a vague picture of a woman awash in suffocation.

Praising the neat design of employee’s welfare at Donghwa hotel, Jin Hyuk excitedly shares his vacation plans. He blabs about wanting to go for a vacation with her, but she remains listening.

Arriving at her empty place, Soo Hyun reaches for her bed to stare blankly at a glass window.

“SHE’S MORE THAN SOMEONE JUST PASSING BY.”

Finally getting a time to have a heart-to-heart talk with his mother, Jin Hyuk opens up about his mom’s thoughts on their relationship. Jin Hyuk’s mother honestly reveals how she is anxious of the different worlds they live in.

Looking at his mom’s eyes, Jin Hyuk tells her how he does not know love will hit him hard with Soo Hyun; when everything that led her to him is fated encounter between them. He tells his mother that he wishes for her to like the woman she loves, since she is a good person who has also made him a better person.

Encounter

“I’VE NEVER BEEN THIS HAPPY BEFORE IN MY LIFE.”

Soo Hyun finds herself meeting Ms. Lee for a tea time. Pouring out her thoughts about her relationship with Jin Hyuk after meeting his mother, Soo Hyun vulnerably shares her fears on giving up on the person who has become her world.

The next day, news breaks out about Congressman Cha’s merging with a political party, and stepping down of his initial presidency plans.

After work, on their way home, Jin Hyuk receives a call and rushes to Jin Myung’s aid, who engaged in a fight at a reunion meeting with his school friends. Badmouthing his hyung on his relationship with Soo Hyun, Jin Myung ends up in a police station because of the fight with his school mate.

Blaming herself for the reason of the fight, memories of what Jin Hyuk mother’s fears erupt in Soo Hyun’s thoughts. Meanwhile, the brothers rest in the neighborhood playground to talk about what happened.

Jin Hyuk praises his brother for doing a great job in protecting their family’s name. He tells Jin Myung to keep it as a secret from their parents.

Encounter

“I NOW KNOW HOW TO SAY GOODBYE.”

Soo Hyun gets a surprise visit from the woman used by Woo Suk to severe his marriage with her back then, which led to their divorce.

Finally learning Woo Suk’s sacrifice, Soo Hyun thanks him for protecting her in his own way, however, that cannot change anything anymore.

Finishing a gift he prepares for his girlfriend, Jin Hyuk calls Soo Hyun, and requests for a date the next day. Obliging to Jin Hyuk’s dream date, the two go out to eat at a crowded place, before moving to a book store to kill time.

While paying for the book Jin Hyuk bought for Soo Hyun, Jin Hyuk smiles. In his thoughts, he promises to go wherever Soo Hyun will be.

Soo Hyun, on the other side, stares back with tears, wanting to escape her eyes, as she silently says goodbye to him.

Encounter

ENCOUNTER EPISODE 14 AFTERTHOUGHTS

Something unsettling was already hinted in the last 10 minutes of this episode that I literally dreaded to see the dying minutes.

Just how am I emotionally affected by Jin Hyuk and Soo Hyun’s love story? My thoughts are running wild out of worry for them that I barely sleep. Yet my thoughts remain active in the past few days.

I am at a desperate point where I can be okay if Soo Hyun suddenly gets an amnesia so she can go out of her masochistic nature and relents to the idea of letting someone protect her. 

Encounter

There are a lot to process on how the finale episodes will conclude the story. This week is beautiful and painful. Encounter began on a magical note. That’s why if you are a faithful follower, you want to question why it had to thread on the reality biting pain that ensued after the refreshing romance which happened between the main leads.

Passing the halfway mark of the narrative, we know it would be hard. For that reason, we can only hope for that agonizing last stretch to be worth it.

Will Jin Hyuk have one last trust-me convincing moment to change Soo Hyun’s mind? Will we ever get to see a neat conflict resolution between Soo Hyun and Taegyeong?

Don’t miss Encounter’s finale on tvN and tvN Asia next week!

Source Credit @https://www.hellokpop.com/kdrama/encounter-episode-14-recap/

Edited by Jillia
Please put more than 3 pics/IGs in spoiler tags, thanks!
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

@thistle, I agree with your points about disagreeing without being disagreeable, but that's why I want you here on the thread with me. Because we can disagree without being disagreeable about it. :)

It is the strength and the curse of a popular thread that there can be outpourings of strong emotions, both love and hate, and sentiments that we may not even express in real life and in real situations. And, because the threads move so fast, any points made may be quickly buried in the outpourings, especially any opinions which are in the minority. And while I welcome all civilized thoughts, expressions, and opinions, I find you to be a reasonable, considerate voice in the maelstrom. Plus, the various analyses that are brought to the thread by various members are interesting and some are even fascinating, regardless of whether I may agree or not.

So, I totally understand why you may want to step away from the thread, but we are approaching the finale. So, if you have thoughts that you want to share about this drama, I would hope you would do so here.

I'm still firmly of the thought that JH and SH have already worked so hard to be together that they are not going to fail before the last few obstacles. Think of all the people who they've managed to convince to be on their side. Driver Nam, once he decided that JH was a good guy, totally approved, of course. But, Sec Jang was unhappy about SH seeing JH initially and even thought that perhaps SH should give WS another chance. SH's father who has gone from cautioning SH about how JH as someone who did not grow under the spotlight may not be able to handle the relationship to entrusting SH's care to JH so that he, the father, can do something which might leave SH isolated. JH's father was also iffy, but after discussing it with JH and meeting SH, he's decided to give them his whole-hearted support. Even HI who was against the relationship initially both from her unrequited crush on JH, but also from her concerns as his long time friend, has come around to seeing that JH and SH really love each other. It doesn't mean that her concerns for her friend is allayed completely, btw, just that she appreciates what they have together. DC and JM were always kind of on JH's side with regards to SH, but they went from teasing him to being supportive of them, and accepting SH as JH's girlfriend.

And, of course, SH and JH themselves love each other so much. So, in the midst of all this love, JH's mother was right in her concern, but once she's able to see all the love that SH and JH feel for each other, but that they are also supported in love, she'll come around. JH's mother truly loves JH after all, and even if her reactions are normal in the sense that she doesn't want her son to risk any censure and potential fallout, she won't be able to withstand JH and SH's sincerity.

This is my understanding of it thus far anyway.

@stroppyse

Encounter might be more than just a drama to be discussed in the same direction but due to realistic script created from unbelievable story, some audiences might understand one character, others might associate to another character, and vice versa for some episodes when each character has developed. 

I understand CSH's hesitation at the very beginning because I have similar standard of a girlfriend/a wife as CSH's. 

When I watched ep.13-14, I understand KJH's mom because I thought that in reality, the impact to the whole family members to be in public eyes from a son dates a divorced celebrity linked to chaebol family and her politician father is beyond acceptable. 

However, I did not understand CSH's fear in ep.14 untill I read your comment and @khxy's translation from somebody.

That's why I read this forum with observation of similar and different opinions from varied linkage because this forum's comments can dawn on me. 

As you mentioned about how KJH and CSH has done so determined to prove their true love and sincerity to closed people around them till those people's wall has been broken to accept KJH&CSH eg. CSH:Mr.Nam, Secretary Jang, CSH's dad and KJH:KJH's dad, friends, collegues, little brother, etc.

For KJH's mom, it might be a very beginning of KJH's attempt with gentle approach to suit his mom but with clear message to inform his crystal clear affirmation about CSH to his mom. 

By the way, Park Bo Gum came back immediately from Music Bank HK to further film Encounter. As audiences watched the scenes in ep.13-14, PBG&SHK have just filmed and promptly been on air.

Encounter production team might not have much stock even for the close to end as ep.15-16.

Just think about nearly end, it is very sad to have no more the drama beyond just drama as Encounter. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

I know there’s like 70% that SH will break JH’s heart for episode 15 but there still 30% that I’m hoping for it to be the opposite. A part of me is hoping that SH will be brave enough to fight for JH and prove that their love is true and sincere. And maybe she’ll talk to JH’s mom and try to change her perspective regarding their relationship or JH could try changing his mom’s view. Really hoping for their happily ever after. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@thistle

hello there chingu. While I understand where you’re coming from, let me just say I think everyone of us here feel the same way especially if the other has a different opinion from what we think. We just have different reactions to them. Every thread of every forum is always like that. I am also sure that is the reason why this thread’s pages are flying. It is rich with different opinions from different members. That said, “disagreeing without beeing disagreeable” is a very nice line. Some might just type their thoughts into words strongly when they dont mean for it to go out that way. Thank you for silently going on hiatus but moreover thank you for always coming back :kiss_wink: 

@stroppyse

I dont know if I’ve thanked you enough for the translations you give. Your’s is more detailed and it always makes more sense. Haha! 

About Hwang Jin Yi

Spoiler

This isnt my favorite movie of SHK but her role here is a bit the same with Encounter. She was just too strong here. I agree, I hope it wouldnt give us the same ending because it was gloomy and heartbreaking.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

In ep 14, Soo Hyun chanced upon a drawing with a headless bride titled ' The Wedding'

005CJo7wly1fzcgqkdgbtj30nm0cq49t.jpg

At the bookstore, when 2 of them are sitting down reading books, the advertisement behind them writes < The next face of the protagonist will be you>  < Supporting everyone's dreams>

005CJo7wly1fzcgupcs4vj30nm0ggk4v.jpg

cr:weibo

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

0@rosiepeonie188

Actually i really amazed by Encounter. We found new things to disscuss about each time..

So true, what I love about Encounter is that it is simply a love story. And it makes me deeply respect the writer and production team for making such a high quality and moving love story. What makes it even more meaningful to me is that the writer never resorted to using the usual situations just to make it dramatic such as the appearance of the hated truck of doom which would result to sudden amnesia. And so far no mention of any illness whatsoever. There's also no abduction, attempted murder, birth secrets, and surprisingly no cute childhood flashbacks showing they already knew each other since they were very young :-)

Even the exMIL, Mom and Director Choi were realistically portrayed. No over the top makjang elements, instead we get introduced to art paintings, books, and poetry.  One particular line taken from a book really stood out for me: "If the sea's job is to make waves, then my job is to think of you." (If I quote that wrong, my mistake)  

Even the opening and ending animations are beautiful and are subject to a lot of discussions and interpretation. It even has delightful epilogues. Which frankly makes me feel that the hotel staff (or was he the hotel manager?) is JinSoo's cupid/fairy godmother. 

Thus for me I love how the writer let the story unfold slowly.  With each step JH takes to be closer to SH, the deeper the connection I feel with their love story. And now that we're almost close to the end, I could imagine the happiness that is just within SH's reach. Their love for each other would also be their greatest support. Together they would be, through thick and thin. With their closest friends and family by their side, they would live as happily as they deserve. The end. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3