Birthday!

Lmangla

December birthdays!

If your birthday is this month, as a community, we would like to wish you “Happy Birthday” :star:

The gemstones for this month are Zircon, Tanzanite and Turquoise. Each of these gemstones carries a unique blue tone

Themes for this month are blue, sea, calm, winter

So what would you recommend based on those themes?

drama:

the classic winter theme drama is the drama that is credited with starting the hallyu wave. Winter Sonata. it has been a few years since I watched it but I got why it was so famous. have folks seen it? even though the story is not really that complicated, there is a kind of weird addictive quality to it and you are not sure how it will end. the scenery is gorgeous with its white backdrops of snow that it makes you want to go on a trip. the OST is amazing with its wintry mood that reminds you of cold walks outside with only the wind to keep you company.

65f021fa57e7648f68fa4305a33814d5--winter

@kokodus recommends

Legend of the blue sea. Oppaaa!!!! :D

huyen-thoai-bien-xanh-tap-5.png

kpop: loved this song from the OST for daily drama "am also a mother". the voice and the tune just gives you the vibe of sitting with a cup of tea, reflecting on days gone by and looking out the window as the cold wind slightly blows.

science & cultural trivia: in winter dramas, we often have a kiss between the leads (like in my princess) with snow falling and it is not done randomly. there is a superstitious belief that being out with someone you like during the first snowfall will lead to true love blossoming...  so how to time those events? hahahaha...

Well, snow will not form if the ground temperature is at least 5 degrees Celsius (41 degrees Fahrenheit). While it can be too warm to snow, it cannot be too cold to snow. Snow can occur even at incredibly low temperatures as long as there is some source of moisture and some way to lift or cool the air. Most heavy snowfalls occur when there is relatively warm air near the ground—typically -9 degrees Celsius (15 degrees Fahrenheit) or warmer—since warmer air can hold more water vapor.

ref: https://nsidc.org/cryosphere/snow/science/formation.html

201101260948301111_2.jpg?w=640

kiss scene from my princess. have you seen it? it is a great rom-com for those who love this genre and there is plenty of great adorable chemistry and fan service even with all the sweaters and jackets.

Curious about anything that you watch in dramas and wonder why -- ask us and we will see if it can be answered in the next month's birthday wishes. If you watch lots of dramas or know a lot of kpop, raise your hand and you can help contribute to recommendations.

To see the list of birthdays by dates, check out: https://forums.soompi.com/en/calendar/

The feature beneath "who's online" (main page bottom) lets you see the members who are celebrating their birthdays that day. If you see your chingu's name here, don't forget to wish them happy birthday!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HappyBirthday.jpg?resize=777,437&ssl=1   images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrAtmP-Qj9YP32YkneSBL

From my home in Kentucky to yours hoping your December Birthday is one you will remember always and create beautiful memories you can treasure.  When born in the month of Christmas and giving  there is so much to celebrate and remember that your life is a gift to all those around you and what you do with it is your gift to them... 

Happy Birthday December Babies:heart:

• 1 month later...

It is a new year.... which means another birthday!

January birthdays!

If your birthday is this month, as a community, we would like to wish you “Happy Birthday” bman-group-smiley.gif?1292867558

Thanks for suggestion @sushilicious, this year, our theme recommendations will be based on the emojis found in our quote box!

So what would you recommend based on those emojis?  :cookie: , :scream:, :yum:

drama:

here are the recommendations from your chingus @USAFarmgirl  @kokodus @sushilicious @lynne22

for the cookie/eat emoji -- lets eat series, pasta

for the shock/horror/scare emoji -- Memories of Alhambra, priest, voice, guest, signal

for the laughter emoji -- waikiki, top star yoo baek

premiere_waikiki.jpg

kpop:

for all of us watching empress dignity, it is a roller coast of shock and laughter! hahaha... here's Gaho's song from the OST. the vid was made by our chingu here at soompi @Kimchi Sweet Potato

if you make MVs and would like to share them as part of the birthday post, let me know!

cultural trivia: there's always a kdrama scene where eventually someone hikes up the mountain. why? because 70% of the land is mountainous. according to a poll, hiking was voted one of the top favourite hobbies. so perhaps, we shouldn't be surprised by all the stars modeling hiking wear? 

eider_cf_11.jpg

2029530_image2_1.jpg
Deogyusan National Park where the drama "summer scent" was filmed

Curious about anything that you watch in dramas and wonder why -- ask us and we will see if it can be answered in the next month's birthday wishes. If you watch lots of dramas or know a lot of kpop, raise your hand and you can help contribute to recommendations.  

To see the list of birthdays by dates, check out: https://forums.soompi.com/en/calendar/

The feature beneath "who's online" (main page bottom) lets you see the members who are celebrating their birthdays that day. If you see your chingu's name here, don't forget to wish them happy birthday!

I thought cookie emoji represent sweet theme, i was wrong. I'll comeback after follow the train event ends (hope so). Cant think of anything, too nervous.

• 3 weeks later...

February birthdays!

Do you wonder how one month has already ended? Well on to the next!

If your birthday is this month , as a community, we would like to wish you “Happy Birthday”  aquarium1-smiley.gif?1292867549

I love emojis but sometimes we aren't sure what they mean no? hahahah... thanks to @dotonly reading of the emojis for this birthday post.

:warning: Warning emo: dont watch sad end dramas.

:love: Hearteyes emo: OTP the one that matters, the rest dont care. BUT, must happy ending. Not accept open. I better not.

:neutral: Flat emo(?): dramas that only so-so/half heart when watching (dont care how it ends) maybe? Or its the worst drama that not worth to watch even for whole one ep? (used to kept watching, dont know why).

drama: So what would you recommend based on those emojis? 

@kokodus recommends:

:warning:Maybe Iris 1, it had a WTFery ending. I don't even know why I watched this one. Yeah ok it was because LBH was HOT. LOL.

byunghun.jpg

-- good looking enough to ignore plot holes?? ^_^

:neutral:Hmmm W?? It started out so good but fizzled out in the latter half. Still so disappointed. 

@sushilicious recommends:  Flat Emoji. Priest :) Three words (Disappointed,Sad, 'I don't exactly know how to feel')

So they had the main lead did all a lot of things for several episodes. Then the audiences got thrown back to realise that everything is the guy did was just his imagination. So we got thrown back,back to episode like...7? Even though we are already at 14?  --- waaah, that sounds horrible! :sweatingbullets:

for flat emoji,  @triplem recommends:

I was so darn disappointed because my expectations were so high...

Misty

Third Charm

for dramas that should come with warning , @Dhakra recommends:

:warning: Children of nobody is more crime and has a typical case-based touch, since you are watching it through the eyes of cops, the scenes are cases are still horrible, but I had the feeling that you could watch it without being nervous on your chair all time time. I would still consider it not easy to watch, but it's more bearable than "Mother".

additional warning recommendations from dhakra: mother, save me.

Spoiler

:warning: Overall sad or just the ending? Mother is very difficult to watch, especially if you are a mother yourself I guess. Although the drama has a rather quiet tone and doesn't rush anything, you feel never at ease or comfortable. You are so emotionally involved that you can never just "enjoy" the drama. Mother will be always in your mind. You have to consider that you look it through the eyes of a normal, typical woman. The police, the whole world is the enemy here, you have to hide from everything, even your own family.  

:warning: Another drama I would like to mention here in the "hard to watch sad drama" is  "Save Me". I have never seen something so disturbing and sometimes painful. I have never felt so sorry for a girl and so disgusted by a lead. The way they talk, treat or deal with the female lead is pure horror. These whole sexual abuse thread throughout the whole drama is so hard to endure. additional choices: mother, children of nobody

music:

still watching empress dignity and mostly loving it! was really impressed by this FMV -- the romance is like a blip in this drama but this MV beautifully captures how even gentle romances can be beating with passion. in a safe, normal time, trust and companionship may not seem as special and even comes across as boring. however, the feel that you are not alone in this battle and can rely on someone is indeed very special and very passionate during troubled times. 

thanks to @flutterby06 for finding this FMV. wishing all february babies including

@kokodus @sushilicious @katakwasabi that gentle, trustworthy special someone (preferably as good looking as choi jin hyuk hahahhaha :D) to walk through the fire!

if you make MVs and would like to share them as part of the birthday post, let me know!

cultural trivia:

if you have watched enough kdramas especially the weekend/daily variety, inevitably, a character will get dumped on the 100th day. now what is so significant about 100 days really?

100-Days-My-Prince.jpg?resize=660,400&ss

here is a little explanation:

The number 100 has historically been a significant figure in Korea. One example of how the number has been regarded as auspicious is that parents celebrate their baby turning 100 days old by throwing a huge birthday bash. To poverty-stricken families in the past, a baby surviving 100 days without getting any fatal illness or disease was something miraculous that needed to be celebrated. The tradition continues today, with rich and poor hosting parties for babies little more than three months old.

Interestingly, the 100th day is equally important to lovebirds in modern-day Korea. When a couple starts dating, they are obliged to count down until the 100th day since they got together. Couples usually celebrate the big day by exchanging gifts.

ref: http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2987481

https://asiasociety.org/korea/baek-il-100th-day-celebration-korea

To see the list of birthdays by dates, check out: https://forums.soompi.com/en/calendar/The feature beneath "who's online" (main page bottom) lets you see the members who are celebrating their birthdays that day. If you see your chingu's name here, don't forget to wish them happy birthday!

29 minutes ago, kokodus said:

Preferably Choi Jin Hyuk himself for me. Haha. 

Many wishes for all the Feb born babies!!!!!!

no, for me please! it is my birthday too! :P

looking good even with bad hair... how hard is that!

gu-parents.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

27eb8381a0a6fa085f30aec9c910426b.jpg65a3cb834a26e2742e5ca83cfcd4edf0--top-baby-girl-names-baby-names.jpg  

Nothing better than being born in the month celebrating LOVE

With a chill still in the air and decorations of hearts and red & white everywhere.  May your birthday be filled with love and laughter, family and friends and most of all hopes, wishes and dreams that never end....  :heart:

• 2 weeks later...

March birthdays!

If your birthday is this month , as a community, we would like to wish you “Happy Birthday” birth-day-candle-smiley.gif?1292867556

this month's theme from @sushilicious is "march, march, march - soldiers are marching on to your hearts!" while there are plenty of saeguks with great fighting scenes that show off the lead's flexibility and high kicks, there are also some modern dramas that have soldiers as leads. 

drama: most have seen this drama but do they still steal your heart?

@mouse007 recommends king 2 hearts ~ Always a fan of dramas where the OTP starts off being antagonistic towards each other but end up falling madly in-love in the end. What I loved about King 2 Hearts is that you really see how the love they have for each other helped them to grow and evolve as better people. And the first time they kiss!! Still one of my favourite kisses of all time!! I love Lee Seunggi in this one. This role put him in my oppa list for sure.

Tk2H15avi_002795362.jpg

many have seen it and love it (though I have yet to! hahahah) ~ Descendants of the Sun. have been told the love story is all sugar! is it?

37773062_-_16_03_2016_-_gnsun.jpg?itok=d

music: have you seen these videos that chingus @bairama and @gm4queen shared for the soompi love feast? check them out.

if you have made a FMV for a drama you are watching and would love to share for the next birthday post, do tag me or @sushilicious and let us know!

cultural trivia: are you watching fiery priest? do you like it?

the-fiery-priest-2019-filming-location-e

for many kdrama viewers, the setting may be a familiar one as you might have seen this church in many dramas. the Yakhyeon Cathedral [중림동약현성당] is a Catholic church located in Seoul’s neighbourhood of Jungnim-dong [중림동] in the Jung district [Jung-gu/중구]. It was built in 1892 and it was reconstructed after a fire. the distinct light floating through the stained glass windows and the beautiful brick structure makes the church a memorable background in many kdramas.

20171225-132842-largejpg.jpg

cr: https://koreandramaland.com/listings/yakhyeon-cathedral/

http://koreabridge.net/post/korea’s-first-church-yakhyeon-catholic-church-jeremylim

To see the list of birthdays by dates, check out: https://forums.soompi.com/en/calendar/The feature beneath "who's online" (main page bottom) lets you see the members who are celebrating their birthdays that day. If you see your chingu's name here, don't forget to wish them happy birthday!

OMO!!!! Thank you so much dear @Lmangla for putting my MV again here... :love: Wow.... I love this positive vibe on Soompi! This is a great place to promote our stuff!! 

And speaking of birthdays, my little sister is celebrating her birthday today!! So I am extremely happy to visit this thread :wub: :heart: Giving her so much love & best wishes for the special day! :relaxed: Hope all your wishes come true....!!!!

A very happy birthday & a bright future, my little sister..!!

happy-bday-sister.jpg

And the rest of those friends who celebrates their birthdays in March, wishing a very happy birthday & a bright future as well!

And thanks a lot once again dear @Lmangla for mentioning me!!! Have a nice day!

• 4 weeks later...

WOW! I have a birthday today, and here is such a gift ...:w00t:
I sincerely love these three dramas. Especially, Goblin ... especially, for the jokes between the reaper and Tоkkebi ...
And since it coincided! Most of all I like friendship stories in dramas, and in these three April dramas friendship holds an important place.:love:

• 1 month later...

Happy birthday to all the May babies of Soompi!

this month's theme is great cinematography. while we have plenty of good visuals in the actors, the background also catches our eye no? so which dramas would you recommend?

Dramas:

@stroppyse recommends "moonlight drawn by clouds" and "descendants of the sun"

I really loved the shots in Moonlight Drawn By Clouds, gorgeous colors, lovely balanced compositions in the shots, and fluid camera work whether the shots are close in or panning wide. The other drama that comes to mind that I thought had really lovely camerawork was Descendants of the Sun. Some of the pan out shots were just spectacular.

08653eea209a549289150c6dee24151def560ece

another fan favourite that has inspired @triplem @ktcjdrama @cenching and many others to want to visit Quebec is "goblin"

sometimes cinematography isn't just for pretty. it also adds to the mood especially when it is a crime drama like voice 3, reminds @sushilicious 

Music: kpop videos can be a great visual treat. what videos would you recommend?

@stroppyse recommends MV for BTS' Boy With Luv.

The shot compositions are really engaging and the camera work is consistently playful and evocative. It's not just the cinematography that made the MV memorable for me, but it was what gave the whole package it's polished vibe even as it managed to capture the spirit of the song and the energy of the group.

Curious about anything that you watch in dramas and wonder why -- ask us and we will see if it can be answered in the next month's birthday wishes. If you watch lots of dramas or know a lot of kpop, raise your hand and you can help contribute to recommendations. If you have made a FMV for a drama you are watching and would love to share for the next birthday post, do tag me or @sushilicious and let us know!  

Archived