Birthday!

Lmangla

June birthdays!

If your birthday is this month, as a community, we would like to wish you “Happy Birthday:star:

The gemstones for June, pearl and alexandrite, represent loyalty and friendship. So here is our kdrama suggestion based on themes of loyalty and friendship.

Drama: Defendant (2017)

An innocent prosecutor ends up in jail on death row with no memory of how he got there. As he puts together the puzzle, he finds help from unexpected places. Have you seen it yet? What would be your drama recommendation based on these themes? Share below in this thread for other chingus.

defendant-main-e1490148075991.jpg

Song:  what is a great kpop song that celebrates friendship and loyalty? do you want to share?

@LyraYoo also recommends her bias song on the theme of friendship: :)

Health trivia: You ever have a song stuck in your head? Well, there's a word for it – it is called 'earworm'. No there isn't an actual worm but that is how scientists refer to it. Studies show that earworm are songs that are faster and more upbeat in tempo and generally have a rhythm that people could move to. Did you ever have a kpop song that got stuck in your head?

Cultural trivia: If you have watched enough kdramas, you know that every birthday requires a bowl of seaweed soup but why? Here's an explanation from @stroppyse :

New mothers are given seaweed soup to eat after they've given birth because seaweed soup is so nutritious. Because of that, seaweed is served on birthdays to celebrate the birth of the person. Before the tradition of birthday cake became popular in Korea, seaweed soup was the commemorative dish for birthdays, and even now, a birthday without seaweed soup is seen as being a shame because the birthday person doesn't have anyone who cares enough to make/buy seaweed soup for them.

However, there is one other bit of lore concerning seaweed soup. It is not served to people who are about to take a test. In Korean parlance, "sticking" a test means to pass and "falling/slipping" is considered to be failing. That's why "yeot", a  toffee, is given to a test taker to wish them luck in "sticking" a test, while seaweed soup which is full of soft, slippery seaweed is considered a harbinger of failing a test.

Curious about anything that you watch in dramas and wonder why -- ask us and we will see if it can be answered in the next month's birthday wishes.

To see the list of birthdays by dates, check out: https://forums.soompi.com/en/calendar/

we have also added a new feature where beneath "who's online" (main page bottom), you can see the members who are celebrating their birthdays that day. thanks @ebullient

If you see your chingu's name here, don't forget to wish them happy birthday!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, dotonly said:

So...we must post dramas or songs too? Im not good at summary.

kekeke... not necessary. it is only if you feel like sharing something on june's theme of loyalty and friendship. otherwise, you can just wish "happy birthday" to all the june babies. :)

Everyone on Soompi are from the globe

Coming to Soompi in all 4 seasons

seasons-all.jpg&key=8ba9626e9ca798985a5d

Days and Nights

day-and-night-gif-6.gif

Soompi is Friendship too 

20 hours ago, angelangie said:

actually you are doing great :)  the pictures you posted are really pretty :) 

Thank you.

Sorry for the late reply. I dont receive notification email anymore.

I try to clean history and cookie like what @CamelKnight told me but still not working. I'll try again later.

@angelangie hope everything okay with your work.

6 hours ago, angelangie said:

everything is okie lols...

warehouse told me not to log a case against them....i say i let them go this times but if they make the same mistakes again then i have no choise but to log a case against them

Glad to read that.

• 2 weeks later...

Erhm...mmmm.. o...kay... 

*sexy lips* for those born in July:kiss_wink:

Next month will repost this again...hahahahaa... ok chill juz kidding:glasses:

July birthdays!

If your birthday is this month, as a community, we would like to wish you “Happy Birthday” :star:

The gemstone for July - ruby - is a symbol of passion, health and wisdom. The vibrant red stone is said to bring good fortune.

Drama: So what would be your kdrama suggestions based on themes of passion and fortune? some revenge driven drama?

@triplem suggests Money Flower - lots of passion, everyone fighting for the family fortune and male lead is driven by revenge

Money-Flower-Poster-hyuk-jang-40942833-1

@Berou suggests Misty - a murder! a a successful anchorwoman faces a murder charge and needs help from her estranged husband. who did it? someone known to her?

809c1c0f-1b9c-4f1c-be74-a25c4f224d05.jpg

other suggestions from triplem and berou on themes of passion and fortune: heirs, secret love, a love to kill, the master of revenge/ the master : god of noodles, gaksital/ bridal mask, nice guy/ the innocent man, Queen of ambition, mask 

have you seen these dramas? do you like them? what would be your recommendation for themes of passion and fortune?

Song:  what is a great kpop song that celebrates passion?

@jeijei recommends

*dance break* 

DBSK - Mirotic

Neon nareul weonhae (weonhae!)

Neon naege bbajyeo (bbajyeo!)

Neon naege michyeo (michyeo!)
He eonal su eobseo

I got you under my skin

@Berou recommends fire by BTS

other passionate songs to get you pumping and dancing -- heartbeat by 2PM, bang bang bang by Big Bang, fantastic baby  by big bang, fire by 2ne1, keep your head down by TVXQ , it's war by MBLAQ, boombayah  by Black Pink 

Science trivia: we all love those rain scenes in dramas no? what is about them that you most enjoy? is it the music swelling? the anticipation of some passionate moment?

1*YMrjsRfyQYlInEjMlM1eOg.jpeg

well, here are some science facts about rain -- did you know that while raindrops are usually represented in the shape of a teardrop, in reality, it is closer to a shape of the jelly bean? so maybe we should be adjusting some fan arts? hahahah...

and if you have ever loved the smell of rain -- well there's a name for it. petrichor is the name of that familiar smell. however,  rain itself doesn't have a smell and it is caused when raindrops fall on dusty or clay soils.

Cultural trivia: If you have watched enough kdramas, you know that sometimes visitors will bring roll of a toilet paper. why?

here's explanation from @stroppyse:

Traditional housewarming gifts are toilet paper or laundry detergent. It has to do with the fact that South Korea was a poor country where toilet paper and laundry detergent were both luxury household items. In some of the dramas, sometimes they make a joke about cutting up newspaper sheets to use as toilet paper which used to happen, especially in the countryside. In cities, the pipe system wouldn't support such rough paper being put through the system. Instead of the foamy laundry detergent, they used to just use soap, especially in the days when the laundry had to be washed by hand.

As alternatives, one can also take other household paper products, though more modern people may appreciate a nice bottle of wine or a houseplant instead.

Curious about anything that you watch in dramas and wonder why -- ask us and we will see if it can be answered in the next month's birthday wishes.

To see the list of birthdays by dates, check out: https://forums.soompi.com/en/calendar/

The feature beneath "who's online" (main page bottom) lets you see the members who are celebrating their birthdays that day. If you see your chingu's name here, don't forget to wish them happy birthday!

2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

No, you didn't mishear it. A lot of times, Koreans will say "our mom" or "our brother" or other family members or close friends even if they mean "my mom", "my brother", etc.

It reflects the importance of family or group versus the individual. So, saying "my" person sounds possessive, selfish, individualistic. Saying "our" person is more inclusive of the family/clan/group as a whole. So, it's common and preferred to say "our" when meaning "my".

Thank you for the quick reply. I thought that it will be answered on the next month's birthday wishes.

Lucky me, hehe.

Or is it cos my question was to easy? I guess I should prepared a more heavy question next month.

Thank you again.

great question @dotonly, never really thought of it. probably because in my own language, we tend to use "we" or "our" when it is just in reference to us. hahahahah.. feel free to post another question. @stroppyse ~ all up to you! :) you can answer them as you see them or leave them for the birthday wish next month. no worries.

On 7/12/2018 at 12:26 PM, Lmangla said:

Science trivia: we all love those rain scenes in dramas no? what is about them that you most enjoy? is it the music swelling? the anticipation of some passionate moment?

This is my favourite passionate "rain scene":kiss_wink:

- the dance

- the love confession

- of coz the Kisseu

- the ...the "free show" for the crowd...heeeee

KDrama: Introvert Boss

(Tonite very Naughty channel

.. ok ok juz kidding...)

:glasses:

7 minutes ago, supergal99 said:

This is my favourite passionate "rain scene":kiss_wink:

- the dance

- the love confession

- of coz the Kisseu

- the ...the "free show" for the crowd...heeeee

kekeke... this is a good one -- it is like a scene with multi-features! hahahahah... :lol: haven't seen this drama though.... but what I didn't like was the black jacket hoodie. think am watching too many dark melos where bad evil murderers are wearing black jacket hoodie. so "remove the hoodie please! so we know you are a good guy!!!" :yum:

Erhmm.. mm... @Lmangla

U ...u .. 

Spoiler

Spoiled my super duber fond memories of this drama... 

Wawawaa...:wacko: now i cant help it but imagine the male lead has a hammer hidden somewhere in his jacket.:naughty:

13 hours ago, Lmangla said:

:sweatingbullets: LOL... oops, sorry @supergal99

Too late... Lmangla... too...late...:blink:

Spoiler

Oh.. wanted to insert some hammer gif here...hahaaa... 

Come to think of it ... might scare off the birthday chingus...hahaaaa

:sweat_smile::tounge_wink:

Ah...ok ok chill... better stop tease u here.

*cough...cough*

Archived