[Drama 2019] Vagabond, 배가본드

larus

59 minutes ago, smiletall said:

I feel like s2 was def contingent on the performance of the supposed s1. And since it was not a runaway hit in Korea (though it had  solid ratings in comparison to other dramas airing in the same time slot), it might not have been so certain. 

VB does not really have a direct competition in it's time. It only overlaps with one drama on Saturdays. The ratings are good for current standards. But nowhere near as good as The Fiery Priest, which is also rumoured for a season 2 and ended with We Will Be Back written on the screen. Also for its budget, the ratings were expected to be higher.

59 minutes ago, smiletall said:

I feel like SSR will not return. If I was him, I honestly would not bother. They underutilized his skills and screen presence. And the story could honestly go on fine without his character especially with them acting largely beyond the law now. The NIS was pretty useless anyways.

Same thoughts. His skill and presence was definitely underutilized. Moving forward the story will go on fine without Ki Tae Woong. I'll create an AU, where KTW will be sipping coffee and open a coffee shop next to bullet chicken. Hahaha

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He posted. He's saying Goodbye to CDG but he's also unsure whether it's continuing or not.

So some side actors are saying see you on Season 2 and that it's continuing, while LSG said goodbye to CDG and VB while at the same time he's unsure whether the journey will continue.

What nonsense is this lol.

1 hour ago, incoty said:

He posted. He's saying Goodbye to CDG but he's also unsure whether it's continuing or not.

So some side actors are saying see you on Season 2 and that it's continuing, while LSG said goodbye to CDG and VB while at the same time he's unsure whether the journey will continue.

What nonsense is this lol.

Lol. Nothing is certain and it's frankly annoying. 

His latest post

I really wonder what they was thinking even playing on the thought about a second season. I do not think this is a story that is needing for this to be dragged out for more episodes. I mean the plot is simple enough about a plane crash and how that could happen. to me this is a story that work best within a narrow framework than having allot of filler so our main characters could not even solve the main plot of the story. if this was a slice of life drama (like age of youth) or procedural drama (like investigation couple, voice and romantic doctor kim) I totally can see a second season work for those dramas. But to me this is not one of them...  anyway it is not first time we see them doing more season of dramas. but in those cases they have been more sure in producing that they are doing more season. this sound like on of those cases being in limbo for some time.

Btw I know SSR is busy with doing musical until spring next year. so I do not think he gonna be on board for more vagabond. I am sure he also want to have time with his family :) 

Okay so let me get this straight.

The writers made that ending with a season 2 in mind but they didn't convey this to the actors...?

Now they have to check if the actors/actresses schedules are free for S2 filming?? 

How is it that when the cast were filming the beginning/ending of S1 nobody assumed that S2 is a given??

I AM SO CONFUSED. 

I just remembered that SSR filmed Vagabond while he was filming Perfume after I saw Go Won Hee's reply on his instagram post. Vagabond really took a long time to film and produce. 

1 hour ago, blademan said:

Okay so let me get this straight.

The writers made that ending with a season 2 in mind but they didn't convey this to the actors...?

Now they have to check if the actors/actresses schedules are free for S2 filming?? 

How is it that when the cast were filming the beginning/ending of S1 nobody assumed that S2 is a given??

I AM SO CONFUSED. 

I was wondering ths same thing. Since filming was done in chunks and they can edit and rearrange scenes in post-production, it made me wonder if the cast were baffled like viewers when they saw the final product too. Hahaha

1 hour ago, sal2 said:

I do not think this is a story that is needing for this to be dragged out for more episodes. I mean the plot is simple enough about a plane crash and how that could happen. to me this is a story that work best within a narrow framework than having allot of filler so our main characters could not even solve the main plot of the story.

I agree. They stretched a thin plot and added so many fillers and ended with more questions than answers. I mean they could solve the plane crash in 6 episodes and make the remaining eps about them finding Black Sun and Axis. I'm used to seasonal formats as I watch american dramas too, they end a season with a cliffhanger and then comeback after several months with a new season and answers. But for Vagabond and many other Kdramas, they just end with a cliffhanger, tease of a possibility of another season and then nothing happens. Sigh.

Since VB ended in Kiria, it makes me think that S2 will be in limbo for some time. A season 2 will need a huge budget to cover the overseas shooting on top of cast, special effects and weapons etc. 

1 hour ago, sal2 said:

Btw I know SSR is busy with doing musical until spring next year. so I do not think he gonna be on board for more vagabond. I am sure he also want to have time with his family :) 

I hope he returns to dramaland after his musicals end. I wanna see more of him. I was deprived of SSR content in Vagabond. Hahahaha

1 hour ago, Sushimi said:

@katakwasabi guessing even they had it would be like a year ago? I thought they will go when filming ended?

They finished filming in May 19, I didn't hear of a reward trip after filming ended. Maybe their time in Morocco is considered a reward trip. Heh

I threw this drama in the back seat a couple of episode ago. After the cancellation with the baseball game I completely forgot that  I ever watched this drama. It started off with a bang but the plot was getting weird and the characters were just meh. After reading the last few pages of this thread I don't know if I'll ever want to watch the finale:crazy:

As I see it, Vagabond's speculated Season 2 will depend heavily on Netflix for a renewal of distribution agreement for international audiences. The ratings haven't been great locally in Korea due to multiple factors. Primarily, the suspended hype from the hiatus caused by the baseball game wasn't so great, despite the show being #1 in its finale run.

I'm fairly certain there are shots intended for Season 1 but could be used for the next one if they choose to continue the production. Netflix's business model works exactly like the show "La Casa Del Papel" from Spain. That series is really popular worldwide and gathered enough interest to continue its story.

If Vagabond doesn't get renewed, I'm not gonna be surprised. The show has shown a lot of fillers and mishaps from clumsy storytelling and the drama hasn't really moved forward to showcase properly its characters. Samael, also known as Edward Park, hasn't been introduced as a villain until the finale week and the plot is no where near close to its proper ending with so many unanswered questions.

If Vagabond gets renewed, Jerome would have always been the endgame for Season 1. Edward Park, Black Sun, Acting President Hong and the biochemical terrorist attack would be the endgame for Season 2. If they are really crazy for Season 3, Axis would be the focus of Season 3.

I know that I've put aside this drama long time ago (after they revisit the Morrocco), I never thought that the ending will be like this. I was thinking that before the ending, they come back to the sniper scene and continue til ending... 

If I was the one who watch the live streaming of the ending... I WILL END UP SCREAMING....lol. 

So, the thing I appreciate from this drama. 

1. Lee Seung Gi fighting scene

2. The plane crash scene

3. The scenery

4. The uncle n nephew bonding scene

Other than this... It's ahhhh... Speechless... 

Usually I will download drama that I like, but this one, I just watch via Netflix. 

No offence to the fans of the show but I was really irked at the ending. Just incase you are wondering if it was the typical or predictable plot that ruined it for me such as revealing Edward as the big bad or Mickey was the one that killed Michael etc the answer would be no. My main issue is that we didn’t get a proper closure. Most of the main villains are still alive which include Edward himself and the secret organization Black Sun/Axis. The only one that got his just punishment has to be Jerome. Other than that not much. Another issue that I have about the ending is that we ended right back at where we started. If I was told that I was to watch a giant flashback episode with none of the villains getting punished I wouldn’t bother with this drama.

Let’s get into a few more things about the show.

Spoiler

Haeri joins Jessica. Has she even thought about the consequences for her action. We know that her actions aren’t NIS approved since she didn’t have time to notify them of her intent to join Jessica so that probably means that once her revenge is done she can’t return to them. She probably has done other things that NIS hasn’t sanctioned and things that they don’t approve of. The only way that I see that she might get a pass is if she ends up taking down a major threat to Korea and she claims that she had to be so deep undercover to fool everyone if she could pull it off that they might reconsider hiring her back. Even then she should have a contact with them.

Then not only do the villains still live (oh hey they are even dumb but will get to that later). They have two more members added to their club namely Secretary Yun and that other NIS Team Leader. So wait Edward hires the both of them? I can understand the former since he atleast seemed competent and had a good backup plan and to an extent was a small mastermind of things going on in the background but the later was an incompetent fool and this was even before his reveal that he was on the take.

Everything is certainly pointing to a second season but I won’t hold my hopes high in regards to this. There have been extremely few times that Korean Dramas have had more than two season that I have watched and even rarer on the major channels such as KBS World, SBS. Yes, I have heard OCN or TVN doing a few like Voice and that Ghost Hunting Detective. But not others like I have mentioned and when they do they take so much time that it seems like they have forgotten their own continuity or endings such as in Dream High but that is a story for another day.

To be honest when people were earlier talking about a season 2 and who they wanted from the original cast to show up I was more interested in a spin off starring Lilly and that North Korean guy that hangs around with her these days. They make a cute couple and it would be fun to watch them together in a show. But that was before the ending to this show. Another problem with a delay in getting a second season is that the longer they take the more chances about people forgetting about it and moving on to other things. This would mean that the ratings would probably be affected and thus no more season 3. Then again I don’t want a third season at this point.

Now as to the fact as why Edward is dumb. For all his planning and using others as puppets even including the main lead (which I probably saw coming a mile away) not only let Jessica live but also let her leave the prison alive and go to the States. Even Mickey thought that was a mistake and not his usual method. I won’t blame him for that since he clearly had feelings for her till the last moment and that was the real reason that he left her. He wasn’t thinking with his head as he usually did but with his heart or another part of his body which kind of excuses his actions but like Mickey warned him it is eventually going to cost him big time.

Speaking of season 2 if it happens and if they are planning for a Season 3 or even mid-Season 2 we can even have Mickey kill him for being incompetent and causing their organization losses due to the actions of others (Jessica, Haeri, and Dal Gon)

I do find it amusing that all these villains underestimated a stuntman and got bested by him and these include well trained mercenaries and NiS agents. Kind of reminds me of an old Lee Major’s drama called The Fall Guy. Anyone watched it.

Some of you have wondered who runs Vagabond that chicken joint. From what I have gathered that seems to be Chief Kangs pet and secret project where he probably managed to kill two birds with one stone. I think the owners husband was also a former NIS Agent if I recall correctly and he died on Chief Kangs watch. To help the wife out and probably his own guilt he opened up that restaurant for her and when he realized that her son was a genius decided to use it as a front for him for information gathering purposes. I can only assume that he didn’t have the son recruited because he realized that he would never be able to work at the NIS without it affecting him due to his Savant syndrome and all. Clearly nobody else at the NIS even seemed to be aware of that place apart from the few people he let in due to circumstances. It also goes well with the shows cloak and dagger parts and how you can’t trust anyone in this show.

Ofcourse for every answer it gave us they forgot to give us others. For instance, if Mickey was the one that killed her boyfriend aka Michael then who poisoned the police operator in Korea. That person looked like a female as well. Probably someone from Black Sun but it would have been nice to know who. Unless they are planning on using them as Jerome’s replacement in Season 2 which like I have pointed out is highly unlikely.

People have asked how did Dal Gon end up becoming a mercenary and perhaps even learn English is sort of easy to answer. That would have been Lilly. Remember he asked her to help train him so that he could infiltrate Black Sun and she told him that she was expensive. The fun thing was that he then goes to the corrupt president to ask him for money which he will probably never pay him back since he took that from his people. Speaking of Black Sun whenever I hear that name I am reminded of the criminal organization in Star Wars Legends. I doubt that is the same for others. I did find it funny though when he calls the president he thinks that this is a prank call and someone using a dead man’s voice to call him. At that. LoL who would dare to prank the Ex-President must have a lot of guts.

Regardless of that my bigger issue of him becoming a mercenary (Dal Gon) is how he managed to pull it off for so long or how his previous stunts went unnoticed. I get the fact that since the organization is so vast it might be easy for him to infiltrate it without anyone getting wiser but like Lilly said it isn’t easy to get in especially the tests the recruits have to go through. Let’s assume for arguments sake that he only had to kill rebels and villains initially so he could justify his actions then. But his latest set of stunts that he pulled would seem to jeopardize everything else. For instance, when they went to steal the chemical weapons from those rebels (will even get to that) he realizes that another bunch of innocent people were going to die so he eliminates them. then comes Jerome and he bites the dust to thanks to Dal Gon. This means that he is the only survivor of that operation. Not to also mention that the bioweapon was also destroyed. Wait can they be destroyed like that and not affect others him included that would be nearby. Regardless if that happens and the organization suffers such major losses wouldn’t they want to do a thorough investigation and find out how their members died and why they lost a bioweapon along the way. Not only that but they then send him to the next location as well where another of their agents (Russian Sniper) ends up dead and he is the only one surviving. Don’t they see any kind of pattern emerging here? Unless they are pretty dumb this also means that if there is a Season 2 he can’t be working for them considering all the damage that he has done to them at this point. Also another thing regarding the Bio Weapon. He apparently had the antidote on him regarding it which he tried to use as a bargaining chip against Jerome to get said information. Where did he get it from? Did the organization give it to all of their agents and if that was the case then why didn’t Jerome have one as well? Were they hoping that he wouldn’t need it if the initial team failed or succeeded. If they failed, they would have sent in another team and if they succeeded then there would be no need for Jerome to have one.

People might question as to why he even had the correct antidote on him. How did the organization even know which biochemical weapon the rebels even had? The answer would probably be that Edward was back to his usual games. First he sells the rebels the weapon. Perhaps even makes it like it was stolen from a certain area. This means that the government starts to panic but what do they do next. They contact him to take care of the problem. A problem that he has arranged just like the plane crash. So he knows exactly what the rebels have so she has all the team members on the mission given the correct antidote incase they might need it. Another thing that links him or his organization to this action is the fact that all the team members killed the entire squad of rebels and didn’t leave anyone of them alive for information gathering purposes. This is highly suspicious. But they would justify it as taking precautions as they had to protect their lives and could seem them as threats. This would seem to perhaps indicate that atleast some of the members of the current team might not be full time members and people that they were testing to join the main organization. If this is the case, then it would mean that Dal Gon either hasn’t reached the inner level yet or that he is in that even after the loss they still trusted him enough to send him to the next part of their plan. Now the question is why would Edward do this sell the weapon to the rebels and steal it back by killing them all.

Answer to that is quite simple. The first part allows him to get money from the rebels when he sells it to them. the next part is when he gets hired by the government of that area to take care of the problem. This gives him two benefits. The first is that he gets paid by the government to handle that problem and the second is that the government thinks that it owes him for solving their problem that can prove useful later on. For instance, when it came to the M incident he must have done the government a favour that allowed his people safe passage.

Though the only thing of interest from that time for me was how exactly had his team managed to plant all those explosive devices in the Korean Embassy over there like that without anyone getting wiser. Sure he has a lot of agents worldwide but event that is a bit impressive.

Anyway I am getting of track and I don’t want to add any more to this drama unless I have confirmation that we get a second season so I will end my post here. Congratulations for all the people that managed to watch this show and enjoy it as well.

10 hours ago, Sushimi said:

I think it was intended but not set on stone. At that time it was still pretty early to think of a S2. I think most likely they were telling them “maybe there will be a s2’’ like I said, it’s too early for them to plan a schedule for S2 unless it was first initially stated that they will have 2 Seasons made in one go. I think when the cast read the script they would probably have Guess that they might have a s2. They just kept quiet for the sake of not spoiling anything.

It's just the way the drama ended makes me think that it's impossible not to have another season in plans. Why bother with Axis and Black Sun if theres no explanation whatsoever. The ending was so abrupt. 

9 hours ago, Hanyeoun said:

As I see it, Vagabond's speculated Season 2 will depend heavily on Netflix for a renewal of distribution agreement for international audiences. The ratings haven't been great locally in Korea due to multiple factors. Primarily, the suspended hype from the hiatus caused by the baseball game wasn't so great, despite the show being #1 in its finale run.

I'm fairly certain there are shots intended for Season 1 but could be used for the next one if they choose to continue the production. Netflix's business model works exactly like the show "La Casa Del Papel" from Spain. That series is really popular worldwide and gathered enough interest to continue its story.

If Vagabond doesn't get renewed, I'm not gonna be surprised. The show has shown a lot of fillers and mishaps from clumsy storytelling and the drama hasn't really moved forward to showcase properly its characters. Samael, also known as Edward Park, hasn't been introduced as a villain until the finale week and the plot is no where near close to its proper ending with so many unanswered questions.

If Vagabond gets renewed, Jerome would have always been the endgame for Season 1. Edward Park, Black Sun, Acting President Hong and the biochemical terrorist attack would be the endgame for Season 2. If they are really crazy for Season 3, Axis would be the focus of Season 3.

Ohh..that's interesting. I never knew Money Heist was initially not a Netflix Original. 

VB's ratings in Korea were okay, but more was expected with it's budget. I won't be surprised if VB is not renewed in Korea too. It's uncommon for seasonal prime time drama. And I also think they would require a huge budget, maybe even more than the 25 billion to move forward.

So the wheels are still turning on the axis then I presume? ^_^  No justice for the plane load of passengers blown out of the sky?

It’s always risky ending on a cliffhanger with the expectation that you will get the green light for season 2.  It’s always better to have standalone seasons.  At least then if there’s nothing more, there’s at least closure for the one.

Hopefully there will be some happy news for Vagabond 2 soon.  

gahh. That was not an ending...it’s a cliffhanger!

a lot got done in the last 2 though and the pace was great. I rather enjoyed the last 2 eps compared to the middle bit that got draggy, a trifle bleh and lopsided in terms of energy of the leads; CDG was gritty and on the go all the time whereas the GHR was a Charlie’s Angel never-be. Micki and the assassin girl were way more believable and kickEd richard simmons when in character. GHR was perfect as a lobbyist...flying hair and all.

Baseball took last week away and I didn’t feel like something was amiss - considering that I abhor disturbances in my drama schedules, I was relatively unperturbed by the interruption. 

Netflix needs to ask them to finish it - they should be waiting for the go ahead you think?

Lee Seung Gi Talks About Acting Approach For “Vagabond” + Plans For Comeback As A Singer

Nov 25, 2019
by P. Lee

260071f14bb94f04a8d34216f319840d.jpeg?s=

“Vagabond” is an unforgettable project for Lee Seung Gi because it further broadened his spectrum as an actor. Lee Seung Gi, who is known as a melodrama and romantic comedy actor, has added “action actor” to his list of titles.

Lee Seung Gi received praise for his acting in his most recent drama, “Vagabond.” In an interview, Lee Seung Gi shared, “After I came back from the military, my image changed as well as my thoughts and feelings. In the process, I became a more confident person, and since my recent drama started with heightened emotions with a lot of action, I tried to focus on reality. Because of this, I didn’t need to act overly surprised and the advantage was that I could minimize the acting needed to explain the situation. I had to act in moderation so I thought I was still lacking very much, but I think the viewers thought I acted appropriately and naturally.”

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1367839wpp/lee-seung-gi-talks-about-acting-approach-for-vagabond-plans-for-comeback-as-a-singer

The timeline is confusing. Is it 6 months or 6 years after?  Sid yrs isntoo long, Hong cannot be acting presidrnt for six years.

Also they are wrong about Samael being in the Bible.  I am Catholic and you cannot find that name anywhere in the Bible.

Jerome is dead. So now it is the former Pres and Cha working against Edward, Hong, Min and Yun. Then there is Jessica and Haeri against Edward too.

And WHY did Lily save Cha? At that time she didnt know he was going to pay her for training.  This part didnt make sense.

Archived