Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2019] Vagabond, 배가본드

I feel like s2 was def contingent on the performance of the supposed s1. And since it was not a runaway hit in Korea (though it had  solid ratings in comparison to other dramas airing in the same time slot), it might not have been so certain. 

I feel like SSR will not return. If I was him, I honestly would not bother. They underutilized his skills and screen presence. And the story could honestly go on fine without his character especially with them acting largely beyond the law now. The NIS was pretty useless anyways. In terms of side characters, they would only really need Lily, EP, JL (maybe), and the acting president Hong to return for consistency. But really without Suzy and LSG, it would be entirely pointless. Likely the difficulty is trying to pin down schedules with them. Suzy has so many projects in talk. And especially with LSG, it would also mean he would have to wholly commit to doing high action sequences, which is always a risk. From previous promo interviews, it also sounded like they both were pretty ready to try different roles/projects. Filming and production for this drama was unusually long so it’s understandable. Though it did also sound like LSG might be open to a s2 at one point.

I think there is a chance. But I would be very surprised if they did confirm. I also think it’s a little suspicious that both Suzy and LSG have yet to post anything on instagram after the final ep aired. Typically they would post some goodbye to the character/show and thanks to cast/crew. And while other cast/crew seem to be posting, they have been mum.  But maybe it means nothing. If they do post a goodbye to their character though, I will basically take it as a sign that they are done with their roles. 

• Like 4

“Vagabond” Staff Addresses Possibility Of Season 2
b3d66dcea4214b0897ff7130dc055299.jpeg?s=

The producers of SBS’s “Vagabond” have responded to questions about a second season.

“Vagabond” is an espionage thriller that stars Lee Seung Gi, Suzy, Shin Sung Rok, and many more. The drama set a new personal viewership record for itself with its finale on November 23.

On November 24, a source from Celltrion Entertainment, the production company behind the drama, shared during an interview with OSEN, “The production period was very long, so everyone’s feeling both relieved and sad. The production process took 11 months, and if you count the planning period, it’s a lot longer than that.”

“Vagabond” came to a close with an open ending and made viewers hope for a second season. The source revealed, “It was planned and produced with a second season in mind. However, season two has not been confirmed, and it’s currently being reviewed. We are reviewing the schedules of the actors, writers, and directors.”

The source also shared their gratitude for the actors and staff. They said, “The lead actors were tied to the project for 11 months. During the 40 days or so spent filming overseas, they all stayed together well. It was fun because no one was unsociable and everyone filmed harmoniously. I’m thankful to all of the staff members and actors.”

Are you looking forward to seeing a second season of “Vagabond”?https://www.soompi.com/article/1367681wpp/vagabond-staff-addresses-possibility-of-season-2

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, incoty said:

If they planned it with Season 2 in mind, it'd be absurd to think they have no on hand material yet.

Snippet of article:

The Vaga Bond producer said it is in the process of reviewing Season 2.

-----

From the article it seem that they just planned with season 2 in mind but it doesn't sound like they filmed season 2. They probably have a rough idea of whats going to happen.

Thinking about it, Vagabond took about 11 months to film from June 18 to May 19, that is twice longer than an average drama. For all we know they might have more footage. But it doesn't make sense to cut the drama like this if they have more material either. Vagabond is not a Netflix original, so I don't believe Netflix has anything to do with VB's seasonal format.

I wonder if the 25 billion cost actually covers multiple seasons. 

28 minutes ago, incoty said:

Soz @katakwasabi lol.

I actually thought he declined too after seeing his IG post but didn't want to jump the gun. And I'm fine if he's not in it. KTW was near to non existent in Vagabond. I'm bummed that he had so little airtime and so little to do. Even Jerome and Kim Woo Gi had more things to do than him. I'll just wait for his other projects, it doesn't have to be Vagabond.

Ki Tae Woong thank you~

74445905_2550807681643350_74121791913506

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, katakwasabi said:

From the article it seem that they just planned with season 2 in mind but it doesn't sound like they filmed season 2. They probably have a rough idea of whats going to happen.

Yeah, because they are still discussing with the cast about their schedule and many other stuff. So I don’t think they actually filmed anything for S2. 

So far, I’m trying to keep my composure down. Don’t wanna be too excited. Just waiting...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, moniw18 said:

If it was a Western show and I knew S2 was coming then it would’ve been a brilliant cliff hanger but I am 100% sure  they won’t be making a second season.  It will never happen.  All actors are in new projects. 

You of little faith.

lol.

You guys shouldn't take all official statements at face value. This has been in process since last year.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, smiletall said:

I feel like s2 was def contingent on the performance of the supposed s1. And since it was not a runaway hit in Korea (though it had  solid ratings in comparison to other dramas airing in the same time slot), it might not have been so certain. 

VB does not really have a direct competition in it's time. It only overlaps with one drama on Saturdays. The ratings are good for current standards. But nowhere near as good as The Fiery Priest, which is also rumoured for a season 2 and ended with We Will Be Back written on the screen. Also for its budget, the ratings were expected to be higher.

59 minutes ago, smiletall said:

I feel like SSR will not return. If I was him, I honestly would not bother. They underutilized his skills and screen presence. And the story could honestly go on fine without his character especially with them acting largely beyond the law now. The NIS was pretty useless anyways.

Same thoughts. His skill and presence was definitely underutilized. Moving forward the story will go on fine without Ki Tae Woong. I'll create an AU, where KTW will be sipping coffee and open a coffee shop next to bullet chicken. Hahaha

• Like 2

He posted. He's saying Goodbye to CDG but he's also unsure whether it's continuing or not.

So some side actors are saying see you on Season 2 and that it's continuing, while LSG said goodbye to CDG and VB while at the same time he's unsure whether the journey will continue.

What nonsense is this lol.

• LOL 1

1 hour ago, incoty said:

He posted. He's saying Goodbye to CDG but he's also unsure whether it's continuing or not.

So some side actors are saying see you on Season 2 and that it's continuing, while LSG said goodbye to CDG and VB while at the same time he's unsure whether the journey will continue.

What nonsense is this lol.

Lol. Nothing is certain and it's frankly annoying. 

His latest post

• Like 1

Sounds to me like LSG doesn't feel like committing himself as of yet. Understandable. We'll know when it's time.

Curious how Suzy hasn't posted yet.

I don't know how accurate and credible this info is but here goes.

Are there no talks for a reward vacation for the cast and crew? I know they are probably busy, but who knows they can make some time for a vacay reward sometime in the future. 

• Like 1

Seung gi said his goodbye...all we do is hope i guess?

@katakwasabi guessing even they had it would be like a year ago? I thought they will go when filming ended?

• Like 1

I really wonder what they was thinking even playing on the thought about a second season. I do not think this is a story that is needing for this to be dragged out for more episodes. I mean the plot is simple enough about a plane crash and how that could happen. to me this is a story that work best within a narrow framework than having allot of filler so our main characters could not even solve the main plot of the story. if this was a slice of life drama (like age of youth) or procedural drama (like investigation couple, voice and romantic doctor kim) I totally can see a second season work for those dramas. But to me this is not one of them...  anyway it is not first time we see them doing more season of dramas. but in those cases they have been more sure in producing that they are doing more season. this sound like on of those cases being in limbo for some time.

Btw I know SSR is busy with doing musical until spring next year. so I do not think he gonna be on board for more vagabond. I am sure he also want to have time with his family :) 

• Like 1

Okay so let me get this straight.

The writers made that ending with a season 2 in mind but they didn't convey this to the actors...?

Now they have to check if the actors/actresses schedules are free for S2 filming?? 

How is it that when the cast were filming the beginning/ending of S1 nobody assumed that S2 is a given??

I AM SO CONFUSED. 

• Confused 2

19 minutes ago, blademan said:

The writers made that ending with a season 2 in mind but they didn't convey this to the actors...?

Now they have to check if the actors/actresses schedules are free for S2 filming?? 

How is it that when the cast were filming the beginning/ending of S1 nobody assumed that S2 is a given??

I AM SO CONFUSED. 

My guess is that they wanted a S2 but they want to also check if the ratings are worthy enough to make a s2. So they had it in mind but they will only start when s1 ends.

• Like 2

I just remembered that SSR filmed Vagabond while he was filming Perfume after I saw Go Won Hee's reply on his instagram post. Vagabond really took a long time to film and produce. 

1 hour ago, blademan said:

I AM SO CONFUSED. 

I was wondering ths same thing. Since filming was done in chunks and they can edit and rearrange scenes in post-production, it made me wonder if the cast were baffled like viewers when they saw the final product too. Hahaha

1 hour ago, sal2 said:

I do not think this is a story that is needing for this to be dragged out for more episodes. I mean the plot is simple enough about a plane crash and how that could happen. to me this is a story that work best within a narrow framework than having allot of filler so our main characters could not even solve the main plot of the story.

I agree. They stretched a thin plot and added so many fillers and ended with more questions than answers. I mean they could solve the plane crash in 6 episodes and make the remaining eps about them finding Black Sun and Axis. I'm used to seasonal formats as I watch american dramas too, they end a season with a cliffhanger and then comeback after several months with a new season and answers. But for Vagabond and many other Kdramas, they just end with a cliffhanger, tease of a possibility of another season and then nothing happens. Sigh.

Since VB ended in Kiria, it makes me think that S2 will be in limbo for some time. A season 2 will need a huge budget to cover the overseas shooting on top of cast, special effects and weapons etc. 

1 hour ago, sal2 said:

Btw I know SSR is busy with doing musical until spring next year. so I do not think he gonna be on board for more vagabond. I am sure he also want to have time with his family :) 

I hope he returns to dramaland after his musicals end. I wanna see more of him. I was deprived of SSR content in Vagabond. Hahahaha

1 hour ago, Sushimi said:

@katakwasabi guessing even they had it would be like a year ago? I thought they will go when filming ended?

They finished filming in May 19, I didn't hear of a reward trip after filming ended. Maybe their time in Morocco is considered a reward trip. Heh

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, katakwasabi said:

Imo, if the production team were planning a 2nd season but want to test waters and see how the response was they should have at least shared the intentions to the cast first and foremost. And plan possible schedules beforehand if a 2nd season gets a green light.

I think it was intended but not set on stone. At that time it was still pretty early to think of a S2. I think most likely they were telling them “maybe there will be a s2’’ like I said, it’s too early for them to plan a schedule for S2 unless it was first initially stated that they will have 2 Seasons made in one go. I think when the cast read the script they would probably have Guess that they might have a s2. They just kept quiet for the sake of not spoiling anything.

• Like 2

I threw this drama in the back seat a couple of episode ago. After the cancellation with the baseball game I completely forgot that  I ever watched this drama. It started off with a bang but the plot was getting weird and the characters were just meh. After reading the last few pages of this thread I don't know if I'll ever want to watch the finale:crazy:

• Like 3