Add and Subtract Game

Admin

6 hours ago, nrllee said:

I think some are blaming the lackluster ratings to the fact that he hasn’t been getting much screen time.  And the fact that his character isn’t being...err...fleshed out (figuratively of course:lol:).  

Some fans even said that those who dropped or give bad rating to The King are people who aren't intelligence enough to understand the the story line.... I was like, excuse me??? :skull: I won't put intelligence, drama and LMH in the same sentence.....:skull:

• LOL 3

1 hour ago, cenching said:

Some fans even said that those who dropped or give bad rating to The King are people who aren't intelligence enough to understand the the story line.... I was like, excuse me??? :skull: I won't put intelligence, drama and LMH in the same sentence.

LMH may not be the best at delivery but the story is actually very intelligent.  But you need to really put your thinking cap on and delve into mathematics.  Writer has put a lot of effort into the maths and physics of her parallel world.  But it does require a great deal of dissecting and pain staking recall of mathematics and theorums and how that fits into the plot line.  LG is a mathematician and so is Lewis Carroll (writer of the Alice in Wonderful and Through the looking glass series).  I just wasn’t in the mood to really think too hard. :lol:.  Also the fact that Maximus the stud err...steed...turned out to be Lady Maximus was a HUGE downer for me. Imma like WHAT? Why?? :lol:

• LOL 2

8 minutes ago, nrllee said:

LMH may not be the best at delivery but the story is actually very intelligent.  But you need to really put your thinking cap on and delve into mathematics.  Writer has put a lot of effort into the maths and physics of her parallel world.  But it does require a great deal of dissecting and pain staking recall of mathematics and theorums and how that fits into the plot line.  LG is a mathematician and so is Lewis Carroll (writer of the Alice in Wonderful and Through the looking glass series).  I just wasn’t in the mood to really think too hard. :lol:.  Also the fact that Maximus the stud err...steed...turned out to be Lady Maximus was a HUGE downer for me. Imma like WHAT? Why?? :lol:

IF the writer intended to sells the drama as an intelligence drama ala Da Vinci's Code or Inception, she should be consistent especially with her choices of casts. LMH is a megastar but he isn't a critical acclaimed actor who's known for his great acting chops. By casting him as a lead in a so called smart drama, it's like casting Lucky Blue Smith as Dom in Inception.

• LOL 3

1 minute ago, cenching said:

By casting him as a lead in a so called smart drama, it's like casting Lucky Blue Smith as Dom in Inception.

But he looks like a magazine cover though :lol:.  Maybe she thought he improved?  Who knows why she picked him.  I just know she likes to pick megastars for her male leads.  Didn’t she do DOTS?  I couldn’t buy SoongKi as cool dude army captain.  The second male lead though?  Definitely had it in him.

• LOL 2

5 minutes ago, nrllee said:

But he looks like a magazine cover though :lol:.  Maybe she thought he improved?  Who knows why she picked him.  I just know she likes to pick megastars for her male leads.  Didn’t she do DOTS?  I couldn’t buy SoongKi as cool dude army captain.  The second male lead though?  Definitely had it in him.

That's why I said this Writer definitely isn't selling her drama as an intelligence drama so his fans shouldn't slagging people who doesn't like it as unintelligent ones.... Maybe the reason why the casts looked dazed in majority of the scenes were because they got no idea themselves of what the drama is all about....:joy:

• LOL 3

1 minute ago, cenching said:

Maybe the reason why the casts looked dazed in majority of the scenes were because they got no idea themselves of what the drama is all about

I know.  That’s how I feel when LMH recites his lines (it’s usually cryptic and got mathematics in it).  He has no idea what he is talking about so he doesn’t know how to actually say it like he means it. :lol:

• LOL 3

3 hours ago, nrllee said:

But you need to really put your thinking cap on and delve into mathematics.  Writer has put a lot of effort into the maths and physics of her parallel world.  But it does require a great deal of dissecting and pain staking recall of mathematics and theorums and how that fits into the plot line.

wait a minute, this king drama actually has maths? like real maths?? ^_^

@Sushimi ~ am watching the turkish version of the kdrama "secret" -- the story was bonkers but who knew the kdrama cast really sold the craziness despite the plot being dumb. in the turkish version, am wanting to clobber the female lead for being really stupid. I keep thinking "girl please use your brain!". instead of feeling sorry for the male lead, want to clobber him for being a spoilt rich brat who thinks his grief is most important. I keep thinking "umm, not to be mean but do you realize how many people die in accidents each year. what makes you so special?" ugh. but the villains! wah, they are actually interesting... when the plot is stupid, you need the cast to sell the crazy.

• LOL 1

4 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

wait a minute, this king drama actually has maths? like real maths??

Yup. Euler’s number. Square roots.  Quite complicated stuff all woven in.  Parallel universe (physics).  0 being the perfect number.  :lol:  There’s a lot more.

• LOL 3

@nrllee ~ kekeke.... it sounds like it wasn't done well. the last time, I came across as euler's number in a kdrama, I was swooning and squealing. hahahahha... :lol:^_^.. (so yes people I do occasionally squeal and swoon at romances).

this was a drama called "virtual bride"/"eccentric daughter in law" -- it was a riff of we got married and basically this sort of washed up singer signs up for this virtual marriage show where she gets paired with a math professor; despite their differences, they fall in love and what was super cute was how he expresses his romance in very nerdy way. he gifts her a couple tshirt with the euler's number printed on it. suffice to say, she is clueless and wondering what is this.

tumblr_nuhc7y66T91tyfvymo3_r1_540.png

from my post long ago in that drama thread:

<< so for all us non-math people --  you have real, imaginary and irrational numbers all coming together in one formula and it fits which is why it is considered beautiful. think it is as different aspects of math that shouldn't fit together but it does. 

so this is what he said -- “This complicated looking Cha Myung Suk (e ) meets (+) a woman named Oh In Young (1) and finally figures it all out. Thus, equals (=) zero (0) the infinite number, which is the beginning of everything…." 

so what is he saying? basically that their relationship is a lovely balance because it combines aspects that people don't expect to see together and may think it doesn't fit but it does beautifully and is the start of something important. it isn't trivial. 

he also explained his feelings for IY in such a lovely nerdy way ~ he said that he has always been into math that he rejected things that he could not prove. so IY is this lovely puzzle to him because he cannot prove his feelings for her or quantify them but they do exist and similarly, CJ will accept her even if it is something he cannot prove.. how sweet is that? love that the writer has MS sprout cheesy lines without changing his character or his self -- he is at heart a mathematician and sees his relationship with IY even through those lines. awwww... >>

the full explanation of what is a euler's number: caution, will make your head hurt!

https://forums.soompi.com/topic/375363-drama-2015-the-eccentric-daughter-in-law-aka-virtual-bride-별난-며느리/?do=findComment&comment=19245534

so when done right, euler's formula can be very romantic! :lol::sweatingbullets: right after that explanation, he gets a nice kiss because she is so moved...... till they get caught by his mother! LOL

4acb55ec999fcaf9d1c473b51ee085c9.jpg

• Love 3

@Lmangla Yes I think KES is attempting to do that with LMH’s character (he expresses his love in maths) and the story line (it has parallel universes and time loops) but it’s very cryptic.  And not explained well.  So you have to do a lot of background research or have a good grasp of mathematics to understand where it’s heading and where it’s coming from.  I think that’s what put a lot of people off.  You’re already trying to make sense of the parallel universes and time loops and who lives where (doppelgängers), so throw in complicated maths just makes it too hard for people who just want an easy relaxing watch? :D.  

• Like 2

@nrllee ~ it sounds like clunky writing. with math as some part of the theme/explanation, you need at least one person asking "huh, I don't get it" and then someone translating that into easy practical one line digest version. I have watched quite a few detectives series like galileo, the hard nut (both jdramas), numb3rs/numbers (english drama) where they use math formulas to figure out a crime. math application can be fascinating and entertaining to watch when done right.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

@Lmangla Loved Numbers. :wub:.  Yeah I think it was over ambitious.  There’s already parallel universes, one where a Joseon type ruling monarchy exists and the other just normal Korea.  There are doppelgängers - parallel beings in each Universe. Then fantasy with magic flute/sword legends.  And finally just to make it even more complicated, the math.   :rolleyes:  So it’s a lot to take it and it’s easy to get lost. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@nrllee ~ I guess it shows how hard it is to write sci-fi/fantasy stories. stuff like stars wars and star trek can be cheesy but they are complex, believable and very easy to understand. unless you are some super fan or science nerd, most viewers are not breaking their head trying to understand why or what points of the story. even with two doppelgangers from parallel universes/timelines meet, you just think "waaah, that's so sweet" instead of wondering how that is possible ^_^

• Love 3

@nrllee @Lmangla

Inception is a very confusing sci-fi movie when they were talking about designing/engineering the dreams where all of the layers and mumble jumble that left my jaws on the floor and my eyes rolled back at first. BUT the moment they put those designs into "reality" I had my AHA! moment. I would say no one can understand what is science fiction on the paper, that's why a good explanation is an urgent need. Here where a good writing come in....Good writing, good directing and good acting are 3 pillars of a drama or movie especially for sci-fi. If the genre is romcom or straight romance, as long as the chemistry between leads are good, plenty of sexy scenes and hot kisses, flashes of abs or cleavage throw in, we are good to go even though script and directing are so so.....:naughty:

+2

• Love 3
  • Insightful 1

9 minutes ago, cenching said:

If the genre is romcom or straight romance, as long as the chemistry between leads are good, plenty of sexy scenes and hot kisses, flashes of abs or cleavage throw in, we are good to go even though script and directing are so so.....

kekeke.... so true. there are some sci fi movies I still don't understand... but plenty of romcoms that sailed on these factors alone even the plot was utter rubbish. LOL. :lol:

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

My favorite supernatural thriller was Sixth Sense.  It was creepier than what I would usually tolerate but it was SO good!  I rewatched it a few times just to watch with new eyes again after the big reveal in the end.  I was like, “man how did I miss that? Does it make sense to watch it again knowing that little fact in the end?”

• Like 4
  • Love 1