Quick Poll - A K-Drama Addict's Guide to Popular Korean Words and Phrases!

confusedheart

Quick Poll - A K-Drama Addict's Vocabulary Test! How many do you know?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. A K-Drama Addict's Vocabulary Test! How many do you know? (Choose as many as you want)

• Aigoo (아이고) - Oh dear! what a pity! Poor you! / Omo (어머) - Oh my God (an exclamation of surprise) / Omona (어머나) - Oh no!
    • Ahjumma (아줌마) - A middle aged woman / Ahjussi (아저씨) - A middle aged man
    • Andwae (안돼) - No way! Not a chance!
    • Aniyo (아니요) - No
    • Annyeong (안녕) / Annyeonghaseyo (안녕하세요) - Hello
    • Appa (아빠 ) - Dad / Oemma (엄마) - Mom
    • Arasseo (알았어) - Got it, Understood
    • Baegopeuda (배고프다!) - I'm hungry
    • Bi kyeo (비켜) - Move (out of my way)
    • Bo-go-ship-puh (보고 싶어) - I miss you
    • Chingu (친구) - Friend
    • Chukahae (축하해) - Congratulations!
    • Daebak (대박) - Great!
    • Dongsaeng (동생) - A younger sibling / Hyung (형) - What a male calls an older male
    • Eotteoke (어떻게 ) - What to do ?!!?
    • Gaja! (가자) - Let's go!
    • Gajima (가지마) - Don't go!
    • Gamsahabnida (감사합니다) / Gomawo (고마워요) – Thank you
    • Geurae (그래) - Sure / Alright
    • None of the above. Anything else. Please comment.
  2. 2. A K-Drama Addict's Vocabulary Test! How many do you know? (Choose as many as you want)

• Gwenchana? (괜찮아) - Are You Okay?
    • Hajima (하지마) - Don't do it; Stop it
    • Halmeoni (할머니) - Grandmother / Harabeoji (할아버지) - Grandfather / Samchon (삼촌) - Uncle
    • Heol (헐) - Huh? No way!
    • Hokshi (혹시) - By any chance
    • Hwaiting (화이팅) / Aja (아자) - Fighting!
    • Ireoke (이렇게) - Like this
    • Jal-ja (잘 자) - Sleep well
    • Jamkkanman (잠깐만 - Wait a second! Hold up!
    • Je-bal (제발) - Please
    • Jeogiyo (저기요) - Excuse me
    • Jeongmal (정말) / Jinjja (진짜) - Really
    • Jo-ahae (좋아해) - I like you
    • Jugeullae ? (죽을래) - Do you want to die?
    • Kol (콜) - Deal
    • Makjang (막장) - Over the top K-drama
    • Mi-ahn-hae (미안해) - I’m sorry
    • Micheosseo (미쳤어) - Are you crazy?
    • Mollayo (몰라요) - I don’t know
  3. 3. A K-Drama Addict's Vocabulary Test! How many do you know? (Choose as many as you want)

• Mwo (뭐) - What? / Mwo ra go? (뭐라구) - What did you say?
    • Namja (남자) - Man / Namjachingu (남자친구) - Boyfriend
    • Noona (누나) - What a male calls an older female / Oppa (오빠) - An older brother to a younger woman / Unni (언니) - An older sister to a younger woman
    • Pali pali (빨리빨리) - Hurry up / Quickly
    • Sa-rang-hae (사랑해) - I love you
    • Sesange? (세상에) - What In the World!?
    • Sunbae (선배) - Senior
    • Wae (왜)- What? / Wae Geu Rae? (왜그래) - What’s wrong?
    • Ya! (야)- Hey!
    • Yaksu (약속)- Promise
    • Yeoboseyo (여보세요) - Hello! (over the phone)
    • Yeoja (여자) - Woman / Yeojachingu (여자친구) - Girlfriend
    • Yeppeuda (예쁘다) - Pretty
    • Yeobo (여보) - Honey / Darling
    • Eodiga (어디가) - Where are you going?
    • Babo (바보 ) - fool
    • Blank - accepting options from members (3)
    • Blank - accepting options from members (4)
    • Blank - accepting options from members (5)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/18/2023 at 12:36 AM

I'm taking Korean from the Duolingo app.  I'm not progressing much because they have this stupid tournament every week.  All I care about is not being demoted, so I practice the same lessons daily--is that cheating?:wut:

PS-Ya! isn't right--is more like

Ya!

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

On 6/13/2023 at 9:04 PM, confusedheart said:

You can read korean? How awesome is that?

Not so well due to lack of practice, but something I hope to pick up again later cos knowing another lingo is always a good thing. 

On 6/13/2023 at 10:57 AM, willenette said:

It can cause lung disease. That's harmful  cigarette smoke is! 

To other organs as well. I detest smokers who would lit up in non-smoking areas.

• Love 1
  • Blob 4

This poll is super fun! 

I ticked off 40 something words - a good half that I finally see letters to the sounds in my head.

Oneof the first phrases I was taught:

agahsshi, ippeoyo! ( Miss, you’re pretty!)

How I was asked to remember this was to relate ippeoyo to the Chinese words 一包药 (yi bao yao, a packet of medicine). The joke was that the person who taught us used it on a person with with a svelte back - turned out that ‘she’ was a guy with long hair. The ref to meds was apt. 

spacer.png

• LOL 6

On 6/12/2023 at 11:27 PM, larus said:

I`ve watched kdramas for ten years now but I still don`t understand the language. :crazy: I recognized 30 words. Cool! But I still don`t know much.

Well, I usually try to pay a lot attention to the language while I am watching something, so surprisingly, I kinda knew all the options.

But when it comes to Japanese, nah, I might know less than 10 words. I surely have watched a lot lesser anime as compared to Kdramas, like way lesser anime, but still, I am shocked as to how I didn't really learn more words of it :sweats:

On 6/14/2023 at 8:31 AM, CarolynH said:

I'm taking Korean from the Duolingo app.  I'm not progressing much because they have this stupid tournament every week.  All I care about is not being demoted, so I practice the same lessons daily--is that cheating?

You just gave yourself away, and now on the Dualingo Owl's list 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAluHylhxVVnRMGKLg-tu

On 6/13/2023 at 1:04 PM, TheaN said:

I still watch with subtitles, but then I watch English shows with subtitles also.  People just don't enunciate well these days.  

Even I watch English movies/shows with subs, because it just makes it easier for me to FF, or when I am too lazy to pay attention to what is being talked and just read out the subs instead :exercice:

But then, suddenly something like this happens when you ACTUALLY need subs 

6310ee35165c4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

On 6/14/2023 at 8:31 AM, CarolynH said:

PS-Ya! isn't right--is more like

Ya!

Agreed. You should see @partyon do it in the EO chat group. So, for example she says something, addressing it to all of us. But god forbid none of us respond, that's when this YA comes out. :D

On 6/14/2023 at 11:41 PM, MayanEcho said:

Not so well due to lack of practice, but something I hope to pick up again later cos knowing another lingo is always a good thing. 

Yup being multi-lingual is just so cool. I love it when people make an effort to learn or least familiarize themselves with the local language before visiting a place. It makes travel easier, people are more forthcoming and good vibes everywhere. 

On 6/15/2023 at 2:15 PM, rocat said:

How I was asked to remember this was to relate ippeoyo to the Chinese words 一包药 (yi bao yao, a packet of medicine). The joke was that the person who taught us used it on a person with with a svelte back - turned out that ‘she’ was a guy with long hair. The ref to meds was apt. 

OMO! That must have been awkward, chingu. 40 words is impressive! :piggydance:

20 hours ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

I know more than 90 percent of them lols

You my friend are a LEGEND! 

GIF legend - animated GIF on GIFER

@TheaN and @Sleepy Owl I have recently started listening to audiobooks. I let it play while I am doing something else. However, while watching English dramas/ movies, I keep the subtitles on. It's like I can hear better when the subtitles are on, weird, I know!:crazy: With K-dramas I am so obsessed with the subtitles, I seem to give very little attention to the visuals on screen. Rewatching helps. I kind of know the plot and guess the conversation , so more time spent watching the actors, the visualisations etc. 

I remember while watching That Winter, the Wind Blows, I wanted to enjoy the visuals but found the story intriguing so I rewatched the drama just for the stunning visuals. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

52 minutes ago, confusedheart said:

With K-dramas I am so obsessed with the subtitles, I seem to give very little attention to the visuals on screen.

I think it is the same for me but I think I did not pay attention on the audio more.  I don`t really listen to the words but there are some of them that stuck on my brain.

I found the Korean language difficult because it is so different from my own language. It was a time  when South American telenovelas were popular in my country. I`ve watched some.  Without opening a Spanish book, I can now watch the whole series without subtitles. (I can`t watch them anymore :)) It will never happen with Kdramas.

I am fascinated with the Korean alphabet/ writing. But I am lazy to learn by myself.

• Love 3
  • Wiggle 1

From the first set, the most known words are:

• Ahjumma (아줌마) - A middle aged woman / Ahjussi (아저씨) - A middle aged man - 45 votes 

It's Dangerous Outside The Blanket — “I love you too. Ahjussi!”

• Arasseo (알았어) - Got it, Understood -43 votes 
  • Chingu (친구) - Friend - 43 votes 

Kdrama Business Proposal GIF - Kdrama Business Proposal No Chingu -  Discover & Share GIFs

•  Appa (아빠 ) - Dad / Oemma (엄마) - Mom - 42 votes 
  • Aigoo (아이고) - Oh dear! what a pity! Poor you! / Omo (어머) - Oh my God (an exclamation of surprise) / Omona (어머나) - Oh no! 42 votes 

Review: Nevertheless, Na Bi Gladly Invites Trouble (Episode 2) | Namaste  Hallyu - NamaSTAY your way to Hallyu

• Annyeong (안녕) / Annyeonghaseyo (안녕하세요) - Hello - 42 votes
Spoiler

Annyeonghaseyo | ARMY's Amino

From the second set, the most known words are:

• Halmeoni (할머니) - Grandmother / Harabeoji (할아버지) - Grandfather / Samchon (삼촌) - Uncle - 42 votes
  • Hwaiting (화이팅) / Aja (아자) - Fighting! -39 votes

Hwaiting GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Gwenchana? (괜찮아) - Are You Okay? - 38 votes 

From the third set, we seem to know the following words the most- no surprises there!

• Sa-rang-hae (사랑해) - I love you ( The first word we all inadverently learn) - 45 votes

Spoiler

Saranghae GIF - Saranghae - Discover & Share GIFs

• Sunbae (선배) - Senior (Blame all the sunbae romances we have watched) - 45 votes
  • Noona (누나) - What a male calls an older female / Oppa (오빠) - An older brother to a younger woman / Unni (언니) - An older sister to a younger woman -44 words 

Spoiler

Kdrama Oppa GIF - Kdrama Oppa Kill - Discover & Share GIFs

• Pali pali (빨리빨리) - Hurry up / Quickly -43 votes 

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories and voting. :heartxoxo:

@Wuzetian @Ameera Ali @maribella @sweetroad @joccu @larus @MayanEcho @Learry @Joanna Alfson @TheQueenReturns @willenette @gm4queen @TheaN @SleepyKitty @CarolynH @rocat @nohamahamoud2002 @Rollito Deprimavera 

Please look forward to our next event. Till then 

GIF bye bye bye goodbye - animated GIF on GIFER - by Ghordred

The friendly neighbourhood EO team

@confusedheart @partyon @agenth and @Sleepy Owl 

• Like 2
  • Love 5
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Wiggle 2

I missed this event because I was traveling and good internet connection was difficult to find, so I hardly get online for drama stuff (busy navigating my way around)... But looking at all the list, I can proudly say that I am able to tick all of them :lol: 

• Love 1