[Drama 2021] Monster/Beyond Evil, 괴물

0ly40

I felt like episode 9 is like the first episode again. I laughed when Dong Sik found the ladies playing cards for money again. I was 100% sure that Joo Won will enter the police station just like in episode one.

I felt Dong sik`s pain in episode 10. I am glad that she found his sister. My favoritye scene was when he went to the police station and talked with Nam Sang-Bae. He said that he alwasy imagined that he found his sister somewhere or that he knew she was dead and imagined that he will find her in many places but never thought that she was so close, hidden in the basement of his own house. I felt so sad for him. And then he went to the other police officers (the older ones) "thanking" them for their job.

We had the confirmation (we all suspected) that Park Jung-Je was Yu Yeon`s boyfriend and that they met that night. It seems that they had a fight and she left. We don`t know what he did later. Maybe he came back to her. I am not sure he did something to her but he is not out of the suspision. If he is not guilty, maybe he saw something. It is suspisious that his mother hates the fact that he stays around Dong sik and that he still obsess over that deer. I can see his mother trying to cover up for his son. Maybe she thought he is guilty. We`ll see. 

When I found out that Yu Yeon was not the victim of Kang Jin-Mook, the first thought that came to my mind was that she was killed in a different circumstances (a car accident for exemple) and the killer or other persons wanted to cover up the tracs. Joo Won`s father was one of my suspects because he was the one who had to lose the most if he will confess what he did. If he was not the one, he definetly covered up this particularly crime. (He made a favor to Do Hae-Won)?   But the fact that the killer run over the victim multiple times to know for sure she is dead, it tells me that that person panicked for what he did (being a young person) or a person who had a grudge/ not on the right mind.

I am not forgetting Lee Chang-Jin. Again these three are so suspisious.

I like the scene when Joo Won was giving the emotional suport for Dong Sik in the end of the episode. I was thinking maybe Dong Sik will be there for Joo Won when he will need it. I know that he will find out the involvement (one way or another) of his father in the Yu Yeon`s case.

Kang Jin-Mook put Yu Yeon in the basement but how he was involved with the other murder? He witnessed it?

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

On 3/20/2021 at 5:44 PM, dzareth said:

If yesterday's ep is "Floating", would today's ep be "Sinking"?

@dzareth You're right.

The titles for each episode are so accurate and apt for each and for scenes.

Episode 1: The Appearance 

Episode 2. The Disappearance

Episode 3: Smile

Episode 4: Cried

Episode 5: The Deceit

Episode 6: To Deceive

Episode 7: Catch

Episode 8: Caught

Episode 9: Floating

Epidsode10: Sinking.

OMG this drama! I loveth!  yes yes yes! YES!

At one point I'm thinking when all  has been said and done, and discovered the truth, I'm thinking DS bashing the head of Chief commissioner Han the cement again and again and again. The thought came about during last scenes of Ep 10. HJW following the  tracking device he (wisely) on the old chief. He calld DS let him know what happened and tried to track who kidnapped him. HJW in pursuit alone. DS flashback what happened to his partner.. went after the suspect but we know what happened to his partner.

I was thinking... if HJW discovered something, and knowing his personality he will come after discovery. That evidence and what if it puts him himn danger just like what happened to DS partner.   Oh you writer. You clever one.  This is why I'm thinking of this thought.  DS will go "beyond  evil" if something where to happen to HJW.

The twt below is why I suddenly got me thinking above.

Meanwhile I like how Ep 9 was like  going back to how Ep 1 started.  DS the nutcase arresting again the ladies who used the butcher shop for their illegal happy times gambling, brought to station and then HJW came in. If in ep 1 first time. In ep 9, he came back.. after 3 monts off. JH screaming finding body.

And finally after 21 years DS heartbreaking discovery of YY body buried inside the brick wall. He smashed it. All along looking and the body was just there.  The question is who put buried it there. The scene was wonderfuly aching. well acted because it wasn't over the top. It's the quiet paid and heartache and sorrow.

On Ep 10.. based from the NFS findings, YY died severe multiple fractures. Like someone run her over  again and again  to make sure she never survives.

Was it Jeong Je or someone else? We can assure two scenarios from thr flashback of JJ having mental moments agan.

In the flashback YY asked JJ not to follow her she even drop her cellphone). He asked her to stop. I'm not going to follow. Should have followed her. then he said he should have stop her repeatedly. We know JJ hit a deer. (must be the on in the flashback) 1. Either he was following her  to stop her and suddenly hit the deer or 2. he witness her getting run over by a car repeatly hence the ttrauma. So the incident happened near the Simju farm of LCH?

Other theory. councilwoman or chang jin  or chief Han. These three has something to do with YY murder.

NSB was s the main office  where Chief Han was also there. HJW was following NSB who ended up at the main office but was stop by hs father.  NSB who's now dead knows.. was killed then the body was thrown over the river? HJW tried save him but was too late.

I think that night, YY was going to see JJ, who sent that message about not wanting to go home. JJ was probably heading to the hideout to hang out with DS, thus he became DS's alibi.

I also thought it was JJ who doesn't want to go home to his mother.

YY got killed probably after witnessing the shady business between JW's dad and JJ's mom (and Chief Nam). In hindsight, LCJ is probably not involved with the two yet. He might ironically be innocent of what happened 20 years ago.

If she was ran over  repeatedly (according to NFS) who was dribing the car? Who ordered it?

JJ might be the one who saw them moving the body to the burial scene. It might be traumatic to him that caused his  mental issue. KJM likely stumbled upon YY while doing whatever work on the site and decided to return YY to the Lee's family home, in whatever twisted justification his mind conjured.

We know he'd gone mental after that incident. The mother is suspicous.

What I don't get is why was YY's fingers cut off and left at DS's house? Is the murderer showing 'kindness' - letting them know YY is dead, is the murderer trying to switch the blame to another murderer (KJM), or YY's murderer is really another psychotic killer?

But didn't DS said already it wasn't YY fingers, right.

We still don't know who is the killer at to this point. There's so many twist and turns. Red herrings and all.  Who do you think chingus?

I really enjoyed episode 10. Yeo Jin Goo and Shin Ha kyun and their scenes togethe are terrific. Their confontation or just them trying to up one another.  We  gotta laud the writer. 

Loving Yeo Jin Goo in ep 10!

Beyong Evil is really one of the best dramas of 2021. Probaby top 3. I'm saying it as a fact already  (lets wait for Juvenile  Judgement too). From th story, the scenes. the brilliant acting, to very good directing, quaility writing, background music, cinematography.. the editing. I mean, this drama better win an award.

This drama  deserves many awards!

I'm telling everything one as well. I'm shouting!!!! Best actors!

The accolades for Beyond Evil. I want to post so many twts and screen shots. I'll do it later.

Edit to add below:

@larus   Same. I also think the mother could be covering up Jeung Je.  But I'm also thinking the three ones councilwoman, chieft commissioner, and the business man.

Jeong Je is still pretty musch  suspect to me as well.  Imagine if it's him though. Dong Sik's best friedn -  then Jeong Je will try to kill Ha Ju Won. Dong Sik will stop  do something beyond evildo more  than  bash Jeung Je's head on the cement (which he did to his partner's killer)  which will make him more than beyond evil. I am my own writer apprently. Heh.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

Bravo to the writer and director, they've done an amazing job and created something truly memorable. One of the best drama for 2021.  I hope the main lead actor Shin Ha Kyun, can bring back the best actor award for this year. His acting is just phenomenal. Every close up shots for him was so amazing.

On EP 10, during the flashback mirror scene at the wash basin, I suspect that Park Jung-Je probably confessed to DS's sister (Lee Yu-Yeon) but she was angry at him and told him not to follow her. He felt guilty because he didn't stop her or accompany her back home. He probably witnessed her being hit by the car but someone must have erased his memories by using "drugs" medication, confusing him to think that it was a deer (he kept drawing a deer head) that was run over since it was close to the deer farm. His mum manipulated him by feeding him the drugs to cover the accident, her partner, Lee Chang-Jin (JL construction) hired Kang Jin-Mook to handle the dead body, but he had DS' sister (Lee Yu-Yeon's) fingertips cut and had it displayed, and buried her body inside the wall, he was the one who did the cleaning up for the real murderer.

So who is the real murderer who hit over viciously and cruelty on Lee Yu-Yeon repeatedly?

My top suspect list is  - Han Ki-Hwan (Han Ju Won's dad)

The Russian speaking Lee Chang-Jin and Park Jung Jae's mum that involved are just his accomplices because during their dinner together on early EP, Han Ki-Hwan emphasized that he did not want to get involved with them anymore as he felt the threat after that incident since they both covered up for him. 

I really enjoyed this drama alot, not just because of the storyline, it is the best drama that best described both ML's characters development during the conflicts stage as well as at the turning point. We could hear Lee DS mentioned "his partner" during the critical time.......

So let's see how the writer close out the curtain for us at the end show, I am waiting anxiously.......

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

4 hours ago, jongski said:

But didn't DS said already it wasn't YY fingers, right.

That what I'm wracking my brains... Did YY's skeleton still had her first knuckles?

Did they confirm the fingers were YY's 20 years ago via fingerprints?

Who left the fingers there and why?

If they were hers, it is only logical if KJM was the one to do that - to indirectly say YY is "here". He is the only psychotic person we know so far. But that would mean KJM needed to put the body elsewhere first. Was he already doing work at DS's house at the time of murder?

If they weren't YY's, why leave a clue to the family?

It is also possible that JJ accidently hit YY when she was running away from witnessing KJM killing BJS, and ran away from the crimescene telling mom, who returned to clean the crimescene. YY was probably not dead yet and somebody made sure she will never talk ever again. But her body was removed/stolen by KJM.

It also seems that DS may have a beef with JW's dad. He perked up when they first mentioned JW's dad. I'm sure he has a reason for that. Maybe it has something to do with his partner's case.

This is probably my pick of most delightfully surprising drama of 2021 so far. I watched it in a whim, and almost left it seeing how bratty JW was. And then I became fascinated by SHK's face - there were many close-ups of this - and I thought he looked younger than in his other works. I'm also impressed with the actor who played JY. She managed to portray JY's tragic burden really well. I especially loved her in her scenes with JW.

In ep 1, when transitioning between the past and present, I notice that the music was one that is usually used in humourous scenes - in reminded me a bit to Life on Mars - so I was confused whether this is a serious thriller or a black comedy.

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

@nrlleethats so funny about MW. I could see him forgiving Bareum and not saying anything.  I don't know why I thought he only showed his face after he slashed him. No idea why I thought that except the enjoyment of showing the betrayal in their last moments. or maybe he wore a mask, it's dark etc. This show needed a binge watch. It's torture waiting each week.:blush:

oops that was meant for Mouse:crymeme:I swear I'll get the hang of this lol. Now maybe I can cut, copy and past to the right thread

Both of these shows are driving me bonkers.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Blob 2

I know I have said this before too, but I just have to say it again. This drama is just getting better with each episode. Episode 8th could be the filler, or rather the bridge to the new cases. I was totally fine with it, and I think we all were. I want to see more of what happened in those 3 months though. We know that Ju Won was in Busan (mainly after Jae Yi), Jae Yi was Busan (not too sure about it, but mainly because she must have wanted to be away for sometime) and Nam Sang Bae wanting to meet Jae Yi (since he wanted to make sure whether she saw him or not). 

Nam Sang Bae is the main suspect for Jin Mook's death, since well, it is true that he sneaked inside. But I am not too sure about it. He could have done so based on the order from Lee Chang Jin/Han Ki Hwan. Let's not forget Lee Chang Jin 2nd plan when things went off track. He said, that they need a suspect now so that the case can be closed. They caught the guy, but it would take longer for it to close and the most easiest way would be him killing himself. So, if Nam Sang Bae did it, he did it on someone's order, and actually got killed because of it. 

Like most of you mentioned, even I felt that I just started the episode again, seeing the ladies gamble. I mean, those ladies were not really sorry for breaking in private property and gambling like that :joy:.

I really wonder though, will those Yuan that they were using in the gambling actually get connected to the main case, since Lee Dong Shik was actually curious to know who gave them that. Would be interesting if these 2 things get connected.

Another thing I am rather more curious to know (please tell if it was confirmed), that those several bodies which were found in Lee Chang Jin's deer farm, were their MO similar to that of the ones Jin Mook did or it was different?

Coming to the case 20 years ago. It seems Dong Shik and Jung Je were actually together in the past and Jung Je didn't really fake the alibi. But we also know that he had some argument with Yu Yeon that night, making her leave in anger. Not sure if he followed her or not. He seemed pretty shocked, and sad too when her body was found.

The cause of Yu Yeon's murder seems something to do with grudge actually. They said that she was run over by the case multiple times and not a single time. I wonder if Lee Chang Jin or Han Ki Hwan wanted to go out with her which she refused to and was killed like that. Well, we saw Jung Je not following her does not mean he could not have taken the car to hit her. I still strongly feel that Jung Je actually witnessed her murder. But then he became an immediate suspect, he had to deal with the trauma and hence was sent to the mental asylum so that he would not end up saying anything unnecessary. I wouldn't be shocked if the murderer is his mom. That woman seems pretty impulsive and too sensitive at this topic. 

Kudos to Shin Ha Kyun's brilliant acting. He acted so well when he found the body. "I am sorry, I didn't know" the dialogue was actually too touching. We have been seeing how much he has suffered. We knew how much he suffered because he was tagged as the suspect. But we actually got to know how much emotionally he had suffered because of his sister's disappearance. It showed how much he loved and cared about her actually. He just didn't show it that he was suffering like that. Another scene which I loved was "He is my partner". Along with that, him telling Ju Won, that he'll drive faster and hurry, and he needs to actually be careful there. He still is suffering from the trauma of losing a partner too, and shows he actually sees Ju Won as his partner. 

It is also sad to see Dong Shik seeing his closed ones dying. First it was Min Jung and now Nam Sang Bae. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I am all in on this drama... Been watching it since episode 1. An absolute wonderful and thrilling drama. 

The killer hiding his sisters body on his wall was a sad moment in the series. 

Ju won is getting on my nerve and he doesn't know what is going on and constantly after Dong-Shik but he doesn't realize how the system works and that everyone is corrupt around him starting from his Father to the sub-station offiers. They are decent law abiding citizens but they are not blinded by following the formalities of the law like naive Ju Won is and i feel like Dong shik is always 20 steps ahead of him that he gave up on even explaining shixt to him or letting him in on the loop. 

Dong-Shik has tolerated Ju wons incompetence only due to his father being the police overhead chief otherwise he would have gotten him fired for being a liability. 

There is two things the law which is just a formality and how shixt works so technically there is two laws. There is a fine line between them and Dong-Shik understands all this and both worlds the formality laws and the hustle laws 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

7 hours ago, Jayne Nasution said:

I still don't understand, why did Joowon plant evidence in Chief's office?

What did I miss?

Chingu, it was part of Joo Won's big plan here. He already had doubts about Nam Sang Bae since he saw him searching for Jae Yi in Busan and she trying to hide from him. He went to Busan knowing that she left after Jin Mook killed himself, and knew she had resentment against him. Seeing her hide from Nam Sang Bae already made him suspicious of her. 

Now why he planted that evidence? Joo won was sure that Jin Mook knows about the other murder too, but he is keeping silent there. After his suicide he just knew that there was someone who wanted him dead. Jae Yi could provide the fishing net, but not the death certificate. So it filtered her out, and his doubts were on a police officer. Dong Shik could be one, but he had motives not to kill since he wanted to know where Yu Yeon is. Then the person left would be Nam Sang Bae given how he visited Busan too. 

Coming to planting the evidence, Joo Won knew it would not work, and only just be enough to get Nam Sang Bae emergency arrested for 48-72 hours. But if there was a person who ordered him to provide means for suicide to Jin Mook, he would immediately go and meet up with him/her soon after getting free. That's what Joo Won did, putting the tracking device in his wallet when he was getting free and following him.

The only flaw in his plan was, he acted alone. If he would have another person in his plan, like Dong Shik, he would not lose Nam Sang Bae in between when his father met with him and stalled some time. But still I got to say, it was a smart move by Joo Won.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2
  • Blob 1

8 hours ago, Jayne Nasution said:

I still don't understand, why did Joowon plant evidence in Chief's office?

What did I miss?

Joo Won indicated in one of his conversations with Dong-shik that he did it for the same reason that Dong-shik planted Min-jeong's fingers: To bring attention. So basically to get people investigating and asking questions and to lure out the culprits. 

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

And wow a presscon in the middle of a drama means.. how good the drama is. Everybody's watching.

Knetz, intl veiwers, netizens, etc. Everyone's talking about this drama getting awards. I totally agree.

Best Director. Best Actors. Shin Ha Kyun acting.  What a pair of actors!

cr:@

And Yeo Jin Goo.. top tier acting! I was clapping my hands because they're both so good.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, dzareth said:

I'm going to find SHK's previous dramas to binge....

I'm sure YJG is wonderful too, it's just that during his close-ups, I got distracted by his blackheads-free, smooth nose...

I noticed SHK performance was from his previous work called, "Less than Evil" --- you should pick up that drama too. Very good. But I would say this current one is beyond my expectation, it was even better than "less than evil" - the credit must give to the writer and director too, not just the lead actor. The collective intelligent and efforts bring shine to the project, bravo !!!!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

We're used to seeing the other famous ones with their names attached to dramas with hallyu actors, but then there's them two!  I nevver knew. Awards for writer and director. It's deserved.

Yes. Please.

all twt post cr: as tag @

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

https://zapzee.net/2021/03/25/review-the-more-you-watch-it-the-more-you-get-into-beyond-evil/

[Review] The More You Watch it, The More You Will Get into ‘Beyond Evil’

by willow | Edited by Hong Hyun Jung | Translated by Kim Yoo Hyang | images: JTBC

*The following article contains spoilers for Beyond Evil.

When we’re in love with a show, we could say that we’ve fallen head over heels for it. Instead of passively taking in the plot, we actively participate in the series by embodying the characters’ feelings and actions. JTBC’s currently airing Beyond Evil is the kind of drama that makes you fall head over heels for it. With the delicate production, plot, and actors’ lively performances, it has become the center of the talk for its addictiveness. The rumors say that it is impossible to stop once you start watching. Amongst watchers, Fridays are called the “Evil day,” as that is when the series airs. But just what is it about the show that makes them so enthusiastic?

60029970-3136-48DD-A2F9-42D7B5E0D268.jpg

“Who is the evil. Is it you or me? Or, Is it us?” Set in a small fictional town of Manyang, Beyond Evil is a story delving into humans’ multifaceted nature, which leads to the 20 years of the disappearances and murder cases. At the center of the plot is Lee Dong Sik, a police officer with a complicated life. Despite being born and raised in Manyang, he is an unwelcomed stranger to the town. The character lost his younger sister in the incident that stirred up Manyang. Later, he became the suspect of the case, and as a result, his family scattered in all directions. Though the police set him free of charges from the case, suspicious and scorning gazes have never left him to this day.

The show confuses viewers by creating a suspicious character who must have gone through a long time of pain and solitude. Soon after the decomposed body resembling the victim from 20 years ago appear, Kang Min Jeong goes missing. She is Kang Jin Mook’s daughter, who owns Manyang supermarket, whom Lee Dong Sik adored like his niece. She disappears with only ten fingers left behind, just like when Dong Sik’s sister Lee Yoo Yeon went missing. With another incident that agitated Manyang, Lee Dong Sik is suspiciously holding onto a secret. Because he was a suspect, we cannot guarantee that Lee Dong Sik, the police, is not the criminal. Even if Lee Dong Sik wasn’t the culprit, it is hard to dispel the suspicions in one way or another.

7AD01B68-FCEA-4A53-9FDD-D9802035CFB9.jpg

Lieutenant Han Joo Won intensifies the situation. He disorients the perspective of an outsider, as he suspected Lee Dong Sik right from the beginning when he transferred to the Manyang police station. He openly shows distrust and clashes with Dong Sik, trying to find the connection to the incident. The fierce psychological battle between the two is what drives the show’s plot. Being called an oddball, Lee Dong Sik is uncontrollable as he becomes eccentric when someone persistently interrogates him. However, the more he acts out, the more Han Joo Won is sure of his doubts. The tense conflict makes viewers pay close attention to the two’s relationship and find clues with their sharp senses.

A5085E8E-E4CC-4990-9733-C549CFE84CA3.jpg

Nonetheless, this show is not simply about two police investigators getting suspicious and wary of each other as they catch the serial killer. It looks into the dark, complex, and hidden feelings of those related to the brutal incident. The abyss unfolds in various forms. It could be as disturbing as Kang Jin Mook, who turned out to be the serial killer. And it could be as helpless and as selfish as the faith that Park Jeong Je and Oh Ji have in Dong Sik. Or, it could be as painful and outrageous as Yoo Jae Yi, who understands Dong Sik’s insane behaviors, and Lee Dong Sik, who had no choice but to break the law and his principles. They are why Beyond Evil is more emotionally immersive than other typical crime thrillers. 

It escapes the conventional pattern of a Korean thriller that often focuses on characters’ psychological change, prioritizing explicit scenes and a plot structure that conflicts against the culprit. The question of who the evil is shining a light on a society that gives birth to an evil causes harm to others. Manyang still treats Dong Sik as a criminal and considers him an obstacle to its development projects. They also still share groundless gossips about Jae Yi’s missing mother. Their desires for real estate are too big to console someone and look after their pains. Even the media reports on the victims are biased, as if they were all in it together. The current law, which Lee Dong Sik knows better than anyone else, clearly limits investigating a missing and murder case. These realistic backgrounds are what make this story lifelike.

Spoiler

6A28B4EB-12B7-4571-A871-ABB889688BA3.jpg

The twists and turns of the plot cannot go unmentioned when speaking of Beyond Evil. Each episode shocks viewers with unexpected turns of the story, although the story thoroughly inspects the characters’ relationship. Starting with Lee Dong Sik’s heinous appearance as he displays the disjointed fingers, new doubts arise even after Kang Jin Mook has been revealed as the culprit. The closer we try to get to the truth, the further it strays. Questions are particularly rising for what kind of truth Lee Dong Sik and Han Joo Won will face after entering a new phase for Kang Jin Mook’s death and Lee Yoo Yeon’s case in the 9th and 10th episodes.

What is also noteworthy is the relationship between the two. Though Han Joo Won considered Lee Dong Sik an enemy without acknowledging him as a partner, he changed his mind about Lee during Kang Jin Mook’s arrest process. Han Joo Won even swerves away from his values to use Lee Dong Sik’s ways. Lee Dong Sik also considers Han Joo Won as his partner, despite finding him uncomfortable to be around. After being wary and suspecting each other, viewers wonder how the two will overcome the tragedy of Nam Sang Bae’s death and show their bromance during the process. We hope that the two actors, Shin Ha Kyun and Yeo Jin Goo, will shine until the end of the show and make it harder for them to choose who to cast doubt on given their complex inner struggles.

Verdict: It is intense, delicate, and burning (9/10)

Editor Hong Hyun Jung: K-content guide who publishes various articles for people to enjoy Korean movies and dramas deeper and richer. I’ll introduce you to the works that you can laugh, cry and sympathize with.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

3 hours ago, Helena said:

When we’re in love with a show, we could say that we’ve fallen head over heels for it.

This article was definitely written by one who had fallen in love. It just oozes throughout the paragraphs.

An exciting day, today is. Lets see whose guesses turn true.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1