[Drama 2021] Monster/Beyond Evil, 괴물

0ly40

This is all just word vomit. The weather is too hot that I am  unable to really focus on the screen. I will post more coherent thoughts tomorrow after EP 6 is out with English subtitle. 

Just 1 minute in when Han Joo Won listing the name, I wonder didn't he just exposed himself that he knows who is the latest victim that they found. I am glad that Lee Dong Shik caught that too.

Who is he protecting, he gave all the name except Min Jung's father, Kang Jin Mook.

Prosecutor Kwon is just so full of himself, being so desperate to be accepted as family member but we all know he is nothing but just a lackey to Han Ki Hwan. Keeps calling him 아버님 but both Han Ki Hwan and Han Joo Won have slight disgusted look on them when they heard it. 

What the heck with that reporter. You want exclusive interview but you keep trying to patronize them. Like how stupid is that? 

I realize that Han Joo Won keeps asking questions but he never listen to the answers. He still think whatever he come to conclusion is right while Lee Dong Shik can't give any answers because he doesn't has any evidence to back up anything he said. He learnt the hard way that he needs evidence to make what he said worth it for people to take it seriously.

What the heck with the last shot of Kang Jin Mook???? He saw Park Jung Je with Min Jung. Is that why he believes in Lee Dong Shik?

Everyone in the town are dealing with their own trauma. I wonder what made Oh Ji Hun from a recluse to seemingly bright police officer. 

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

@brooksmom HHAHAH. I had to check the weather site because I simply can't estimate. It was about 95F max today, with my house on a hill area in a major town in Malaysia. It can feel really hot during the day especially if we are expecting heavy downpour late afternoon or at night. Plus, I don't have air-conditioner at home. :rip:

I used to live in Australia before and sometimes I feel like I prefer the summer there over the weather here in Malaysia. 

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

That Councilwoman is really dumb. She knows her son has problems, and both times he was the one to "rescue" Dong Shik, and yet she antagonises him. In the latter part of the episode, it is revealed why her son is a suspect, or at least sketchy. His mental problems. Yet she acts so high and mighty. She's lucky that Dong Shik cares about her son, because otherwise he couldhave just let go then and there at that event, and deflect from him starting a fight. I wonder what he did get out of it, like Ju Won said, that he started it deliberately. 

Ji Hoon is such a dual character while he talks to people. Like when he talks in a cheerful voice (with Ju Won) or teary-eyed stutter (with Dong Shik) and then suddenly in the middle of the speech when saying something vital, his voice is totally serious, absent any emotion, and then back with tears/happiness. Has he some condition too?

Also I found it funny he avoided Dong Shik only to come immediately when asked at this early hour to the basement haha. 

Also how does Ju Won know everything that Dong Shik said to the Councilwoman (he was whispering), and to Ji Hoon (there were walls between them). I mean maybe he can read lips for the former, but what about the latter? Did he now bug the basement?

I loved the confrontation between Ju Won and Dong Shik, the way Dong Shik pointed out that Ju Won has no evidence, that he came all the way to him so triumphant, daring him to put a gun to his head again, and to admit he doesn't care about principles, but wanting the glory for his career. And then Ju Won, admitting his fault regarding his informant. Every part of this scene was epic. Great acting between those two. This series doesn't need romance, because this antagonistic partnership is... EVERYTHING. 

And in the end it looked like Dong Shik was going to say something, so heartless, while Ju Won's eyes sCREAMED OF HOPE. Damn....

And also the cliffhanger. WOW. Does this mean the father has his daughter's phone bugged? Because wasn't she far from home when they met, not the street right outside?

• Like 5
  • Blob 1

Yeo Jin Goo And Shin Ha Kyun Are Called Over For A Mysterious Meeting With Victim’s Father In “Beyond Evil”

bd7a1e88a96d47c2a0eee3cf2c6a2035.jpeg?s=

Mar 6, 2021
by C. Hong

Shin Ha Kyun and Yeo Jin Goo are thrown by an unexpected variable in the case in “Beyond Evil”!

“Beyond Evil” is a JTBC drama starring Shin Ha Kyun and Yeo Jin Goo as two men who chase down a serial killer with connections to a past case two decades ago. As they hunt down the murderer, they ask themselves, “Who is the true monster?”

Spoilers

In the previous episode, Lee Dong Shik (Shin Ha Kyun) and Han Joo Won (Yeo Jin Goo) learned about Park Jung Je (Choi Dae Hoon)’s secrets. Park Jung He had not studied abroad in the United States, but instead had been forcibly committed to a psychiatric hospital after claiming that he had killed someone in the shape of a deer. As Park Jung Je was the last person to meet Kang Min Jung (Kang Min Ah) before her disappearance, he became a strong suspect in the case. However, Kang Jin Mook (Lee Kyu Hoe), Kang Min Jung’s father, had also been spotted glaring at Kang Min Jung and Park Jung Je’s affectionate meeting.

In the stills for the upcoming episode, Kang Jin Mook calls Han Joo Won and Lee Dong Shik over to his house. Han Joo Won listens intently to what Kang Jin Mook has to say, while Kang Jin Mook can’t seem to look him the eye. Lee Dong Shik watches the two of them from behind with an unreadable expression on his face. Later, the two of them go out in uniform and Han Joo Won stares at a surprised Lee Dong Shik with a hard expression on his face.

yeo-jin-goo-shin-ha-kyun-beyond-evil.jpg

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1457852wpp/yeo-jin-goo-and-shin-ha-kyun-are-called-over-for-a-mysterious-meeting-with-victims-father-in-beyond-evil

• Like 6
  • Blob 1

Ji Hwa - ''You two are like a cute, funny couple...''     :lol:

I like everything DS said to JW in this episode.

Their conversations become a little more honest.

Im glad JW got out of the car. 

EvxqNCUVgAA3gTC?format=jpg&name=large

JTBC

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Blob 1

I just watched episode 5 and I really like it. My two favorite scenes were with our leading guys. It was funny when Dong-Sik and Joo-Won were at the police station after they arrest Ji-Hwa `s ex husband. They do seem like friends/partners now even if they don`t admit. :) Another favorite scene was in the end of the drama when Joo Won confronted Dong Shik about protecting Park Jung-Je. Dong shik is always pushing Joo Won`s limit. I think they discover things about themselves and soon they will trust each other to solve this case. This caseis for both of them too personal. Dong Sik has more experience. He knows that they don`t have anything if there are not stong evidence. Step by step they find / as we find more infromations about the case. Now not only Park Jung Je but Min-Jung `s father was near Min Jung that night? Of course, nothing is simple.

Councilwoman and Lee Chang-Jin are very shady but Han Ki-Hwan is more suspisious. What he is hidding? I don`t think it is only his image he wants to protect. IHe knows something, he was one who cover up the story 20 years ago?

• Like 5
  • Blob 1

The confusion grows, each episode shifts the doubts on other people. @larus I loved that scene too, where they seemed too close to each other, they clicked so well that one would think they have partners for years now. The last scene too. So before I start with other stuff, I think Dong Shik does not want Joo Won to get too involved in this case without knowing his limits. Like you said Chingu, he has been pushing him to his limits, but I think it is to check it. Like he said "I had high hopes" or something similar. Dong Shik has the trauma of losing his partner, not sure in what kind of case. Was it the same one and he knows how capable the killer is, or some other case, but he knows that if his partner is not the level he is or the threshold, then the same thing can happen to him too. That's why it seems like Dong Shik is willingly playing into Joo Won's plans sometimes, so that he knows how capable he is. Like he virtually asked his dead partner in the car "How far can he make it" thinking about Joo Won. There is a high chance that his partner died while following Dong Shik's plan and so he wants to investigate things alone. 

Now Joo Won already expressed his trauma, what he feels about the case he messed up, and how he feels for the dead victim. So it does explain why he has been so obsessed with this case. One good thing was that he finally moved on from thinking Dong Shik is the killer. At least his investigation is not one dimensional. 

It is still unclear who the murderer is, and everyone seems to be suspicious. The final scene of the episode, shows there were three dudes who last saw Min Jung. Her dad saw her leaving with Park Jung Je and so did Oh Ji Hoon. Funny thing is, everyone from that small town seem to be suffering from one or another mental illness. We know about Park Jung Je, Dong Shik did hint on Ji Hun too, he too suffers from some condition here, Dong Shik and Joo Won have got some traumas from their previous case and give different reactions to it, Dong Shik's legs get stiff and Joo Won goes out of breathe. Jin Mook we all know how he is. 

Now, Park Jung Je has been telling he killed a doe or a person who looks like a doe. The timing of it was too much close to Lee Yu Yeon's disappearance. Ji Mook's wife/lover left him after Min Jung was born, probably for a better life, or with someone better leaving him with a big bad memory. Now, it is still unsure when she left him was it before or after Yu Yeon's disappearance. But time to time we have seen people with such memories, start looking at situations differently, like Jin Mook seeing Min Jung leaving with Jung Je would seem to him like she wants to leave him for a better and richer person like Jung Je, making him punish her, like he wanted to punish his wife maybe, that is killing her that way. Now again, Jung Je could also be the killer, and by the looks of it, he seems to have moved top of the suspect list given the fact that he was last guy Min Jung left with. 

There is another guy here, who I cannot help but suspect and it is Lee Chang Jin. He sure is a shady dude, plus he is more than anyone is desperate for the case to be buried so that he can start the redevelopment. His age matches as to what the killer's age could be. There is a high chance that he wants the case buried in the name of redevelopment. We'll have to continue seeing how he fits in the whole picture. 

What I feel is, as I said before too, Dong Shik does have a suspect in mind. He just cannot do anything against him/her since there is no evidence present. That's why he is doing things secretly. There is a high chance that the reason he set up a camera in his basement after cleaning is because he sensed that someone had entered it without him know, since there was a blood stain which I think he didn't know existed. He does not really want the suspect to know he is suspecting him, since that would be game over for him and his case. That's why I think he has got problem with Joo Won way of investigation, since he does not seem to be doing it rationally. Like he said to him, just because Jung Je left with Min Jung and is the last person she met with, cannot prove he is the killer, and so is the scene with him being the accomplice since he told Ji Hun to stay silent. I believe he wants Joo Won to do the investigation with cool mind rather than emotionally. Now just because by the looks of it Jung Je is the killer, he just cannot confront Jung Je about it for that, and I believe that is the reason Dong Shik is keeping his mind cool on this case rather than just confronting anyone for it. 

4 hours ago, agenth said:

Also how does Ju Won know everything that Dong Shik said to the Councilwoman (he was whispering), and to Ji Hoon (there were walls between them). I mean maybe he can read lips for the former, but what about the latter? Did he now bug the basement?

I have the same question here. Maybe he has been bugging him, not too sure about it though, maybe slipped something in his pocket :rubchin:

7 hours ago, kdramagrandma said:

I realize that Han Joo Won keeps asking questions but he never listen to the answers. He still think whatever he come to conclusion is right while Lee Dong Shik can't give any answers because he doesn't has any evidence to back up anything he said. He learnt the hard way that he needs evidence to make what he said worth it for people to take it seriously.

You are totally right here, he has asking questions and not really caring to listen the answers. Same is the case with Dong Shik, and I think he still believes that Joo Won cannot handle the truth. Maybe it is something related to his dad, or maybe Dong Shik as I said, is still not sure how this guy will react after knowing about the victim. We have seen him reacting crazily just after feeling like one specific guy could be the suspect. 

And, the one time when he wanted to listen and Dong Shik wanted to say, the episode ended :evilelmo:

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

I can't explain it but I suspect Jin Mook right from the first episode. So far I haven't changed my opinion. But I feel that there might be two suspects. One who killed and the other helping the suspect. I might be completely wrong but right now my bet is on JM. 

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

26 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

I loved that scene too, where they seemed too close to each other, they clicked so well that one would think they have partners for years now. The last scene too. So before I start with other stuff, I think Dong Shik does not want Joo Won to get too involved in this case without knowing his limits.

And how puzzled Joo Won was when his colleagues came to the 'rescue' when the journalist approached him with questions. :D He doesn`t understand how life in a small town /village works. I think it is harder to investigate people you know. Joo Won is starting to understand better Dong Shik. He even suspects that his partner made a scene on purpuse.

I also thgink that Dong Sik doesn`t want another partner to get hurt because of him or when they work together.

What`s with Lee Chang-Jin using Russian words? I think it is Russian. His pronuntiation is not that good but I think I heard "Thank You (Spasibo)" in Russian one time in the episode.  We have someone in another drama using Italian and now Russian? :D

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

Just finished episode 5, I can't believe Han Joo Won father wow(He is such a jerk) .

What the heck with that reporter. You want exclusive interview but you keep trying to patronize them what the heck eh.

Han Joo Won needs to start listening he keeps asking questions but he never listen's to the answers.

Dong Shik is protecting the Councilwoman son(He could be the killer)

I like everything DS said to JW in this episode. They are becoming a more little honest with each other/closer as partners. I am also glad JW got out of the car to help DS.

And also the cliffhanger. Wow. Does this mean the father has his daughter's phone bugged? Because wasn't she far from home when they met, not the street right outside?

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

51 minutes ago, larus said:

And how puzzled Joo Won was when his colleagues came to the 'rescue' when the journalist approached him with questions. :D He doesn`t understand how life in a small town /village works. I think it is harder to investigate people you know. Joo Won is starting to understand better Dong Shik. He even suspects that his partner made a scene on purpuse.

He didn't really understand it, mainly because he has never seen something like this happen to him, until or unless the people doing it expect something from him due to his status and family background. Being abandoned by his dad on national TV, he never expected the team do it without really expecting something in return. I really liked that scene and him being clueless and puzzled about what happened :joy:

1 hour ago, larus said:

What`s with Lee Chang-Jin using Russian words? I think it is Russian. His pronuntiation is not that good but I think I heard "Thank You (Spasibo)" in Russian one time in the episode.  We have someone in another drama using Italian and now Russian? :D

You know, the first time I thought he said something in Chinese, but when I checked again, it didn't sound like Chinese. I was suspecting it to be Russian and when he said that word "spasibo" I have been thinking it could be Russian, since that is among the few words I know in Russian :joy:

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

ou know, the first time I thought he said something in Chinese, but when I checked again, it didn't sound like Chinese. I was suspecting it to be Russian and when he said that word "spasibo" I have been thinking it could be Russian, since that is among the few words I know in Russian 

If he did not say "Spasibo" earlier  I would not know that he is speaking Russians. :w00t: I don`t know Russian (I know just a few words) but I can tell when someone is speacking this language. Perhaps the native speakers or people who know the lauguage understood what he was saying. 

Toad face!!!! :D

31 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

He didn't really understand it, mainly because he has never seen something like this happen to him, until or unless the people doing it expect something from him due to his status and family background.

I liked that the first scene he saw when he came at his job, he witness another village group dinamic. :lol: It was hilarious.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Blob 2

8 minutes ago, larus said:

Toad face!!!! :D

I laughed a lot in that scene :loolz:

8 minutes ago, larus said:

I liked that the first scene he saw when he came at his job, he witness another village group dinamic. :lol: It was hilarious.

Yeah, that one was too hilarious too, and the one where he saw Dong Shik giving out his shoes to the man who was lost in rain and holding the umbrella over him while smiling at him kindly. That was the point where he started getting confused as to what kind of person Dong Shik actually is. 

You see, a lot of things are new for him. Just like when he thought they had something against Dong Shik to call him directly when Bang Ju Seon's dad would go to missing to the reeds. He just cannot understand that in this small town, following the protocols for small stuff like this is not needed since everyone basically knows each other. I think he will start getting used to it soon. 

• Like 5

Does anyone think Yu Yeon and  Min Jung could still be alive?  They are whom  Dong Shik is protecting even though he knows Jin Mook is the killer all along?  His laughter in the restaurant is so sad.

I think Dong Shik suspects Min Jung is held hostage by Jin Mook.  The cat and mouse game between ShiMok and him all these years.  Is this why DS has Min Jung’s fingers which he returned them to MJ that night?  JM was adopted by DS’s parents... the text that night to Yu Yeon was from oppa Jin Mook?

Dong Shik’s move at the end of E6, sending the text as Min Jung is brilliant.  Dong Shik must somehow has her phone.  I suspect Dong Shik’s silence is because of Jin Mook’s control over Yu Yeon.  He’s protecting the victims.

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

When they showed Dong Sik putting Min Jung `s fingers to be found I thought he found them somewhere else (at his place, for exemple) and he realised that the real killer wanted to frame him and deflected his plan. He knew that this time was hard to prove his innocence. That night, at the gathering, before Min Jung had disappeared, Dong Sik was very agitated/anxious. I never suspected that he is the killer but I was curious what happened. It makes sense if he knew about Min Jun that night before it was official that she was missing. He definetly has the phone and he is playing with Kang Jin-Mook`s mind. This man is hiding behind his mental disability. He is much scary than he looks. Many people are underestimating him. 

I don`t think Dong Sik knows for sure about Jin Mook but I think he is clearly suspecting him. He knows that he is looking for someone close to him but he doesn`t have evidence who it the culprit. He must feel like swiming with sharks, he doesn`t know whom to trust. 

I also think that police chief and  Joo-Won `s father cover up/ hide evidence about the serial killer case.That`s what I suspect right now. We`ll see what we`ll find out.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

This name counting scene was perfect.

Juwon also said the name of that woman with the ring.

Dongsik noticed it immediately, he was just waiting to hear it.

But Juwon didnt notice that Dongsik left out one name when he talked 

about the people he protects.

I love LDHs scenes. There should be more of them.

EvyZkf3XYAMbtlw?format=jpg&name=large

https://twitter.com/hashtag/BeyondEvil?src=hashtag_click

• Like 5
  • Blob 2

@larus, @bedifferent I think, the reason Dong Shik was agitated that night (when Min Jung disappeared) was because he must have left to meet her and somehow found her mobile? He sure knew something happened to her that night and that's why he was suspecting almost everyone. 

At the same time, I think he might not be sure, but is strongly suspicious of Jin Mook here, and the only reason he can't do anything about it is the fact that he needs solid evidence for it. The next episode's previews has got me scared, seems like Jae Yi's gonna be the next victim and maybe her body will be found, since we see Joo won trying to stop Dong Shik in a similar place when he wanted to see something. This is one of the few times when I actually want the previews to be deceiving :joy:

Coming back to Jin Mook, we all had suspected him, mainly because of how his wife had left him and also his condition and how he continued rubbing DS's mom's fingers. Now the question is, he seems to have a hand in most of the missing cases too whose posters Dong Shik had posted, which includes Jae Yi's mom, which I believe he will use to bring her out in that place. 

In this episode, it was quite clear that Dong Shik has been suspecting Jin Mook here, and the reason he just can't do is because of his condition. No one will believe him until or unless he brings out a solid evidence, which is hard to find right now. Also I do agree that there is a chance that Min Jung and Yu Yeon are alive since their bodies were not found yet. He did say looking at the picture "Min Jung you will have to stay with me longer" or something similar. So there is a high chance that he is keeping them or at least Min Jung alive for now. I am not even suspecting whether his wife actually left him or did was she killed the same way. 

I think the reason they showed Jin Mook is the killer since it is already difficult to catch him. I loved the trick Dong Shik pulled against him and will be interesting how things go forward.

• Like 7

@Sleepy Owl, I believe both the girls are dead. He buried them in a close vicinity, somewhere they did not search. I wish at least Min Jung was alive but I am not optimistic here. 

I think Dong Sik started to suspect Jin Mook recently. I also believe that he can`t reveal his suspisious without any evidence. I think he realised that Jin Mook was and still is a sneaky opponent, hard to catch.

I did not watch the preview. I always thought that she might be a next victim but I really hope Jae-Yi  will be alright. I like her.

Wjho knows what other big surprised we`ll find out.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1