[Drama 2021] Monster/Beyond Evil, 괴물

0ly40

Thanks for the update, Jillia.  I wonder what the will be the title  for Ep13. There's going to be confrotation with Chief Han and his son, inspector Ha Ju Won.

Now we know why it's excellent drama all throughout.  All twts cr: as tag@

My thoughts exactly.

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

Hi all! I just caught up to episode 12 for Beyond Evil and this drama is so good! I can see why users somewhere else are hyping this drama because it really is a masterpiece. I kind of regret not following along this drama but at the same time I don't because the anticipation and waiting would kill me!

I haven't watched episode 13 yet, but I didn't, kinda, expect that Han Gi Hwan ran over Yu Yeon. Honestly Han Ju Won's father was pretty sus from the beginning so I had my eyes on him, but he kept saying that he has no idea about the analysis report of the guitar pick. So it made me think that he's either pretending or really didn't know (what Lee Chang Jin and Do Hae Won did/scheme).

Lol one thing about this drama though, after watching episode 4, I was suspicious about EVERYONE in the Manyang village and was like, "I won't be surprised if they're all murders or guilty of something." Ha, I wasn't quite wrong...

Also I just want to say that I LOVE the character development of Han Ju Won and love his relationship with Lee Dong Shik. Like I love how their relationship has grown and how after the 3 month, HJW started to act like Lee Dong Sik. You just KNOW the two of them care for each other. The scene where Han Ju Won was going after Nam Sang Bae's killer and he was on the phone with Lee Dong Sik. Then LDS had flashbacks to what his partner said. We knew that LDS was worried and concern for HJW, that the same thing will happen again. Ugh their relationship is just amazing

Anyways loving the drama and sad that it's ending next week! I went through the episodes so fast... (in four days) But each episode was SO good and I love how the writer does foreshadowing and ties everything together :D

• Like 2

It kinda feels like there is a 'Forest of Secret' vibe. First, both had a LCJ hehe... Second, both drama used a lot of misdirection. Next both had that in-law link. HGH drank that night for his in-laws, LCJun also began his dirty deeds with his in-law. Although, LCJun has remorse, none yet from HGH. HGH is also more ambitious. 

• Like 3

Finally able to watch epsiode 13 and 14 and yes with this drama, the titles for each episode are so accurate and apt for each and for scenes.

Episode 1: The Appearance 

Episode 2. The Disappearance

Episode 3: Smile

Episode 4: Cried

Episode 5: The Deceit

Episode 6: To Deceive

Episode 7: Catch

Episode 8: Caught

Episode 9: Floating

Epidsode10: Sinking
Episode 11: Tighten

Episode 12: Undo

Episode13: Bury

Episode 14: Answer

Let me tell, if I haven't already.  This drama Beyond Evil is top 3 drama for 2021.  I'm saying this early. I'm not sure yet what's the other two (It's only April we still have many months for others to check).  Every aspect is done right. The way they did the flashback is very good..like there's continuity to the present. Everything about this drama went beyond expectation. Definitely I keep sayig.. deserve awards!

Both episodes showed how HJW has come to terms and realization about this father. Him being smart police man, came up with all the plan- from the set up a show fake arrest ofwhilsts attending the hearing for police commisioner, HGH lives on perfection  so says HJW., to lurring LCH by gettin to him, he's going after his father, planting the mic device. When he finally heard the conversation between to LCH and his father, and the latter admitting he killed YY with his car, HJW was shaking and seething. Let's not forget He's been on this case  and even tried to investigate and solve it on his own even using  illegal woman to spy who got murdered as well. When HJW heard is from his father... wow the ending is left me wanting more.

I know  we'll see the conclusion of this  brilliant drama, and  I can wait to watch  the last two episodes this week.

From the teaser I can help but have this feeling  of what could be parallel of what happend with DS and his then partner  who got killed. DS wasn't able to save his partner. And now he's been waiting for HJW he hasn't called DS . HJW told DS of his plan and DS ask "youn going alone?"  (aww, he's worried.. but pretends not to). But this is exactly how it was with his then partner...  who did something on his own  which got DS worried. He search and run after his partner but it was too late. Oh nooooo.. what if???

cr:

cr:

twt below" Same.. YJG is  what 22 yrs old?

cr:

Off topic in reference to twt.

I also think besides Yeo Jin Goo, Yeo Seung Ho is also good actor that needs to have an excellent drama so we can see  good acting. Not liking his dramas (except for 2016 "Remember"). The future if kdrama male leads: Yoon Chan Young, Nam Da Reum, Seo Dong Hyun, Lee Do Hyun, Kim Young Dae.

Anyway that ending terrific from YJG

Spoiler

cr: as tag

• Like 5

@jongski I completely agree with everything you said about Beyond Evil! This drama is truly masterpiece and I love how much foreshadowing there is and how the writer pieces everything together! You hit the spot when you say that the title applies to each episode. This drama is definitely on my top drama list as well. Each episode just keeps you on the edge!

This is why I love Yeo Jin Goo. He’s such an amazing and talented actor (he’s the main reason I started watching this drama :wub:). His portrayal of HJW and how detail he is with his acting... :cutekitty:

Spoiler

Agree with you about Yoo Seung Ho too, another one of my favorite actors (plus he went to the military already too!)

• Love 3

On 3/22/2021 at 7:16 PM, dzareth said:

I'm going to find SHK's previous dramas to binge....

I'm sure YJG is wonderful too, ...

Their profiles from ‘KoBiz+THESCREEN’s The Actor is Present’ 

https://theactorispresent.kr

Shin Hakyun

A guy called ‘The God of Acting.’ A reliable partner for Korea’s representative film director

Spoiler

https://theactorispresent.kr/shin-hakyun

F8EB4B63-FA94-4232-BF16-189F079E0825.jpg

photo by Ahn Seongjin

Shin Hakyun is an actor who grew up working with Korea’s representative directors such as Jang Jin, Park Chanwook, and Jang Joonhwan.  In the early 2000s when the Korean cinema was unusually vibrant, Shin was a great tool and reliable partner for those directors.  In the films The Happenings (1998), The Spy (1999), and Guns and Talks (2001) directed by Jang Jin, Shin played the unique, goofy characters that you would find nowhere else in the world.

In Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002) and Thirst (2009) directed by Park Chanwook, Shin represented eerie characters with madness and fear.  In Save The Green Planet! (2003) directed by Jang Joonhwan, the actor’s character Byunggu, who harbored a futile theory of aliens, was so unique that Shin became a cult legend along with the movie.

Through his filmography, Shin Hakyun proved himself to be an actor with talent that cannot be defined in one word.  The words such as ‘out-of-the-world’, ‘unrealistic’, ‘hard to define’, and even ‘B-movie charm’ were used to describe him.  Meanwhile, such perceptions sometimes also hampered his career in mainstream movies.  In other words, there has been less room for Shin to set his talent free as the Korean film system was reorganized to focus on the capital of large companies and the creators who tried various adventures hardly emerged.

Surprisingly, rather than just sitting and waiting, Shin began to display his talent by infiltrating into the story and refreshing it.  Such change was noticeable from the TV medical drama Brain (2012).  Shin’s character, Lee Kanghoon, was a typical doctor full of ambition, but the actor put his own personality and multi-layered aspects on the character.  The viewers cheered him, and Shin won the Best Actor that year.

Shin Hakyun’s original charm that gave him the nickname ‘God Hakyun’ is still valid.  In the comedy film Extreme Job (2018), which attracted 10 million viewers, the actor made a surprise appearance as the villain Lee Moobae, making his presence felt just as much as the main characters did.  After shooting the film Anchor, Shin is now showing an impressive performance as a cop who is also a murder suspect in the TV drama series Monster.  Shin Hakyun, ambitious in acting but free from jealousy, is walking his own path without being categorized in any way.  Jung Siwoo

[KoBizSHIN Ha-kyun is director [JANG Jin]’s favorite performer, having starred in a series of his movies such as <The Spy> and <Guns and Talks>. He recast himself as a character actor when he started to work with director [PARK Chan-wook]. The first movie that brought them together was <Joint Security Area>, which took a humane look at the separation between the two Koreas. SHIN played Ryu, a deaf and mute man in <Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance> who planned a kidnapping in order to give a new kidney to his ailing sister. He wowed movie fans with his switch to a dark and sinister character. <Save the Green Planet> is the movie that epitomizes his charm. SHIN, a multifaceted actor with a strange combination of quirkiness, persistence, kindness, and viciousness, spectacularly depicted a hero who kidnapped and tortured [BAEK Yoon-shik]’s character, an allegedly malicious threat to the earth. He played characters mixed with good and evil in <My Brother>, <Welcome to Dongmakgol>, and <Murder, Take One>. He favors movies in which a strong director imposes his own personality, rather than genre movies. In <The Front Line>, a blockbuster set during The Korean War, SHIN starred as an strong character to reaffirm his ability to lead a big-scale production. After that, he appeared in a TV drama <Brain>, captivating viewers with his exceptional performance. Next SHIN next took on the role of a car mechanic and father who goes on the run when he is accused of murder in <Running Man>. SHIN stuck with the action genre for his next film <Big Match>, co-starring LEE Jung-jae. In early 2015, SHIN headlined the large scale steamy period thriller <Empire of Lust>, in which he appeared as a loyal general who falls in love with a woman out for revenge, and finds himself going head to head with the king’s bloodthirsty son.

Yeo Jingoo

A young but monstrous actor who owns a character with his chiseled face and deep voice

Spoiler

https://theactorispresent.kr/yeo-jingoo/

9E78D66D-9703-4E29-B63C-3144971EAF51.jpg

photo by Ahn Seongjin

Born in 1997, Yeo Jingoo made his film debut at the age of eight.  In the omnibus film Sad Movie (2005), he played Hwichan, a young son preparing to part with his mom (Yum Yungah), who was fighting cancer.  Since his performance in the film was well-received, Yeo played the main child character in major TV drama series for a while.  The Moon Embracing the Sun, which aired on MBC in 2012, is about a romance of fictional King Lee Hwon (Kim Soohyun) against the backdrop of the Joseon Dynasty, and the series became a mega-hit that even Yeo Jingoo, who played young Lee Hwon, jumped to stardom.  His deep, low-pitched voice and calm acting helped him well harmonized into the historical genre despite his young age.

Hwayi: A Monster Boy, released in 2013, put Yeo under the spotlight of the film industry once again.  Jang Joonhwan directed the movie after a 10-year interval since Save The Green Planet! (2003).  The film depicts Hwayi, a young boy who grows up under the five criminal fathers, finally getting over them to stand on his own feet.  Hwayi is a character with intensely fluctuating emotions.  After finding out the secrets surrounding him, Hwayi changes from an innocent boy to a monster.  The film has several action scenes, including car chasing.  Yeo Jingoo became the center of the story by playing Hwayi successfully, and the film was a box office and critical success.  With this film, Yeo swept the Best New Actor of the Year at numerous awards, including the Blue Dragon Film Awards and the Korean Entertainment Awards in 2014.  Since the film was X-rated, the actor himself could not watch the entire film until he became 20.

After playing stable roles in two-protagonist films such as Shoot Me in the Heart (2015), based on a novel of the same name, and The Long Way Home (2015), based on the Korean War, Yeo starred in the historical film WARRIORS OF THE DAWN in 2017.  It depicts the story of Gwanghaegun (Yeo Jingoo) accompanied by ‘proxy soldiers’ who replaced others’ military service against the backdrop of the Japanese Invasion of Korea in the Joseon Dynasty.  Yeo Jingoo’s performance is impressive, portraying the character’s transformation from a fragile prince to a leader who cares about his people.

Yeo Jingoo’s presence is still well felt even when he appears as a symbol.  When he took a cameo part in 1987: When the Day Comes (2017), the actor played one of the most important characters.  In the film, Yeo made an indelible impression by becoming the face of Bak Jongcheol, who triggered the pro-democracy movement in modern Korea by being killed from torture.  Since his 20s, he has grown into a leading role in a variety of TV series, including historical, fantasy, and modern dramas.  Both in movies and TV drama series, Yeo Jingoo shows reliable acting all the time.  Lee Eunsun

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Without a doubt this Beyond Evil deserve all awards. The range of acting Shin Ha  Kyun! superb Yeo Jin Goo  and Cho Dae Hoon. The directing writing edtiing, even cinematography!

So true. Forensic report of Yu Yeon.

Sam feels. Even though the genre different.  brilliant drama should be recognized.

all twts post cr: as tag@

• Like 2

Most recent dramas brilliance in totality:  HITTG. Signal. Forest of Secret. My Mister. I'm going to include Five Enough just cos is so well written and 1st time seeing Shin Hye Sun too. Then this one.

Same for me! It's only March but yes, drama of the year.

If knetz or kdrama viewers have't seen this drama, they wouldn't understand. I guess everyone has varying opinions but you have to watch to know because this drama.. what a farce if it doesn't win awards.

OMG.. my heart!

• Like 2