[Drama 2020] It's Okay not to be Okay, 사이코지만 괜찮아

0ly40

I think ST need to realise his borther is not a property:facepalm:. I love ST but this time he has to give up because his brother will not abandon him but need to receive love from a woman. And that woman is Moon Young!!:approves:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome 1

7 hours ago, Teeners said:

You know how they tell you on an airplane, in case of emergencies, you should put an oxygen mask on yourself before helping others? That's how I feel about KT. He constantly puts others before himself. I hope MY will help him see that it's okay to put himself first every now and then.

Yes....Love yourself first and everything else falls in line. He really has to love himself to get anything done in this world. He has been a "mother" role for ST and MY, he needs to break free and needs to remind himself its okay not to be perfect.

As the title theme says, it's okay to not be okay....sometimes in life, we need to accept flaws, nothing is perfect in this world, not even human being, to practise kindness and loving others, it is our on-going homework in our lifetime :)

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

This is slightly off-topic, but I've been really frustrated at how social media writers keep on putting the spotlight on Seo Yeji's visuals and waist, completely disregarding the level of acting she is delivering. In an effort to push for a more progressive manner of evaluating a drama, I submitted this article to the Soompi community. You can check it out here. I would really appreciate it if you give it love, not because I want the attention (I'm not even a professional writer FSDJFDSF) but because I want to open the discussion of including an actress' skills, not just how she looks :)

I hope an official article would be published about her because the way the media is portraying it, they are overshadowing the essence of the story by using her outfits, etc. :( 

Seo Ye-ji: A pretty face with a tiny waist, and yes, her acting slays

https://www.soompi.com/community/article/2172cp/seo-yeji-a-pretty-face-with-a-tiny-waist-and-yes-her-acting-slays

The video links are removed in the spoiler below, but you can see it in the actual post.

Can't wait for later! <3

Spoiler

Seo Ye-ji: A pretty face with a tiny waist, and yes, her acting slays

COMMUNITY

With the sudden rise of It’s Okay to Not Be Okay to popularity, it is no surprise that the cast has been getting a lot of attention. Seo Ye-ji who portrays the children literature author Ko Moon-young has recently made the headlines for her stunning visuals, body proportions, and chemistry with her co-stars. 

But let’s talk about something else—her acting. Viewers and characters of the show are well aware that Moon-young’s actions are questionable. She pushes people off the stairs, gets into catfights, and refuses to be accountable for her actions.

Despite these, viewers are still tuning in, eager to discover how the story will unfold. For a character that is so easy to dislike, Ko Moon-young is receiving a lot of sympathy and support from fans who are trying to understand her. One cannot help but wonder why.

The answer is quite simple, actually: Seo Ye-ji owned the role, and delivered perfectly. She wears and unveils the layers of her complicated character with ease, drawing the viewers in instead of shutting them out. 

With the second half of the show on air, here’s a recap of some of the instances where she proved that is definitely more than just visuals, and is definitely one of the actresses that should be watched out for. 

1) Sleep paralysis

Those who have watched shows like Haunting of the Hill House knows how difficult it is to watch someone experiencing sleep paralysis. Now, imagine portraying it. In a span of eight episodes Seo Ye-ji did this not just once, but twice

Even without dialogue, her eyes, body language, and facial expressions are enough to imprint an image of the horror her character must have been going through. The aftermath is just as amazing—how she screeched and held on to Kang-tae, using her voice and facial expression to convey her character’s fears and hesitations? Speechless.

2) That single tear

If Kim Soo-hyun can make you cry whenever he does, Seo Ye-ji is able to wrench your heart out of your chest. A single tear sliding down her face, accompanied by empty laughter and an even emptier gaze is enough for the viewer to go from I don’t like her to I think I will try to understand her. 

3) Dangerous woman 

Perhaps one of the reasons why viewers tune in to watch the show is because of Moon-young’s behavior. We want to know why she acts that way and how the show will portray her coping with her personality disorder. And honestly, it’s all hands down to Seo Ye-ji and how she portrays Ko Moon-young—the woman with cold eyes and an even colder smile. Seo Ye-ji is Ko Moon-young—how she stares at knives with fascination, recklessly drives with a devious smiles, carelessly steps into other’s personal spaces without minding the potential consequences. 

There is no hesitation in her acting—no ifs, no buts. It is a head-on portrayal of the role that she plays, and she slays i

4) Comedy queen. 

Those who haven’t seen her Knowing Bros episode or Potato Star 2013QR3 are probably surprised by how she pulled off the comedic parts of the show. Seo Ye-ji isn’t limited to dramatic or dangerous roles.

If anything, she seems to be a natural comedian. Her iconic face-off with the deer and even more memorable Saranghae screaming episode will forever be a part of our K-drama meme collection. 

5) 'I’m not as invulnerable as you think.' 

Moon-young portrays a lot of problematic behavior, and receives a lot of flak from both viewers and characters in the show. Despite this, people still tune in to watch. A large part of this is could be attributed to how well Seo Ye-ji unravels the layers of Ko Moon-young. We’ve seen this—when her father tried to strangle her, when she was walking in the rain, when she was triggered by the word ‘mother’. 

In all these moments, she rarely even had to speak. Her intense emotions are delivered by her facial expression, eyes, and body language. Top that with the slight shake of her voice, and you have a scene that delivers nothing but raw pain. 

With Seo Ye-ji, Ko Moon-young is more than that girl with a so-called bad RickRoll'D energy.

6) Expressive eyes

Most especially when the scene calls for her to be vulnerable, the subtle shift in her eyes constantly draw the viewers in. She does not need dialogues to convey the vulnerability of her character. 

Her eyes says it all—the slight shaking and softening. The same could be said when the scene requires her to be angry and frustrated. Thankfully, the show has enough close-ups for us to appreciate the cold fire beneath her stony gaze, most especially when she is about to snap. 

7) Voice

She has that deep, raspy voice that fits the pretty witch vibe. And she knows how to use it properly. May it be to captivate the audience, scare a young girl, sound seductive, or wreak havoc, Seo Ye-ji uses her unique voice to express the emotions and set the appropriate mood. 

8) "Fight me!"

Perhaps one of the most iconic scenes is her fight with Sang-tae (portrayed by Oh Jung-se). How a 30 year-old can portray a fight scene usually reserved only for children is mind-blowing. The interjection of childish facial expressions make it even more entertaining. Amazingly so, she and Oh Jung-se did the whole sequence without touching the borders of annoying. 

Do yourselves a favor and watch this iconic fight scene where a laughing Moon-young suddenly snaps back to violence before pulling someone’s hair. Skip to 2:23.

9) Hesitation and kindness

It only happened in episodes 7 and 8, but one cannot help but be immediately  touched by Moon-young’s adjustment. The hesitation in her gaze is brief and slight, but it exposes a kinder side of Moon-young—one which shows that she is not as selfish as she seems to be. How she retracts her mean statements to flows naturally, just like the rest of her acting. 

Skip to 2:03 and check out what  I mean by the subtle but heartwarming switch.

10) Her chemistry

It takes two to tango, and Seo Ye-ji's pairing with Kim Soo-hyun is more than enough to keep the viewers interested. Despite Moon-young's strong character, her characterization does not overpower Kang-tae's much more gentle disposition. 

If anything, their on-screen presence do nothing but complement each other. 

Curious to see more of her acting? Stay tuned and watch It's Okay to Not Be Okay every Saturday and Sunday. 

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

@midflight I fully agree with you. The excessive focus on her physical appearance, outfits and ‘tiny waist’ comments are frustrating and it shifts the focus away from the discussions of her as an amazing actress and the message that she is trying to convey as an actress.

Most commenters have good intention and many may not even realized the harm it can cause: it can cause SYJ to feel more pressured about her looks, it can potentially type cast her into pretty roles and so on etc. 

It is a reality though that as a society we are too shallow and obsessed with outward appearances, especially in the Asian entertainment industry. 

IOTNBO fandom while on waiting mode

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome 2

I binge-watched the first 8 eps of this drama in a day, and so far I absolutely love it, even though it's is not a genre I usually watch (I'm more into sci-fi and fantasy dramas, thrillers, spy stories and sageuks). I particularly like the fairytale atmosphere and references, and the original, refreshing, kickass female lead.

I work in the Italian fashion industry, and even though I'm not a fashion addict myself, I ADORE Ko Mun-yeong's style! Some of her outfits (hairstyles and accessories included) are stunning, and she rocks them! :love:

• Like 4
  • Love 3

We need to remember that ST is autistic and suffers from PTSD, so we have to be patient with his development. He may seem to be a burden, but KT doesn't consider him that. He will get better when the butterfly conundrum gets resolved. But his "possessiveness" would last a long time. After all, KT is his primary caregiver and only family and they have a shared trauma. Also, he's like a younger sibling who's losing his bro's attention, and he will likely communicate his frustration through violent outbursts. But he's also internalized his big brother figure, so it might take a while yet possible that he will accept MY and KT's romantic relationship. 

I also thought that ST could have accidentally killed their mom and conflated it with butterflies. This theory is too sad so I choose to believe she was murdered by someone else. 

• Like 7

Looking forward to today’s episode (just woke up) to catch up on reading this forum as it’s so fast if I don’t. Lol I tend to choose slowly moving ones except this one. :sweats:

I know the ST MY issue for KT is huge as he cares for both. I don’t know much about Autism myself but ST needs time to adjust with the evolving KT and MY relationship. He has always known KT as a stable person in his life. Habits and stability are calming an important to him. So when MY cut her hair it was shocking as such sudden change in her appearance. She still had longish hair and looks gorgeous but he is hung up on the drastic change. He is possessive of KT and definitely not used to sharing. 

Look at Mangtae, he put in drawer and forgot about it. KT gave to MY without consulting him. Since it was always his, he was upset that HIS nightmare eater Mangtae was with MY. It doesn’t matter he likes her & she ya us landlord, boss and friend. He was concerned it was his property. He fought tooth and nail with MY (who got a bloody nose) from their fight. Only until KT apologized and explained it didn’t handle butterflies and you had no use for it , I wanted to share it with MY who needed it.

So ST needs time to adjust and thanks to the cute drawing he will! 

Edited by Nodame
  • Like 4