[Drama 2020] When My Love Blooms, 화양연화

0ly40

There was a scene when the wife commented to the son engrossed in video game and won't acknowledge her.  She commented with a snicker to his coldness,  "And people think you are not your father's son."   I deduce the son is not Jaehyun's and he knows it and can prove it with something like DNA.  He remains relatively warm as a father, because legally the son is his and probably feels pity towards him.  Jaehyun seems to be a guy who's keeping a lot of cards close to his chest.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Flaneur2 said:

There was a scene when the wife commented to the son engrossed in video game and won't acknowledge her.  She commented with a snicker to his coldness,  "And people think you are not your father's son."   I deduce the son is not Jaehyun's and he knows it and can prove it with something like DNA.  He remains relatively warm as a father, because legally the son is his and probably feels pity towards him.  Jaehyun seems to be a guy who's keeping a lot of cards close to his chest.

She said: You`re just like your dad (cold to her). So no, it's JH son.

2 hours ago, Flaneur2 said:

:lol: I believe HJH’s son is his son just like YJS’s son is her ex-husband’s son. I know some speculated that maybe YJS’ son might be HJH’s son but the kid is way below 20 years in age. 

@Flaneur2  I think you maybe right. Or not. But anyway...

Lets talk and post about the children too. This is an adult drama centered on reunited love  but it's also about family and children and how  complicated adult relationships affects them.  Young Min and Joon Seo. The two kids are hurting. Both likely  doesn't have good relation ship with the father.  They should be friends. They are elementary kids  in boarding school in the middle of nowhere. Sad :(

When he said he's envious because Joon Seo has  'that' kind of father. But then.....

I suspect he's rebelling. Or hurting?

*all IG & twt post ctto*

3 hours ago, Flaneur2 said:

If he uses the child as a bait in all of this, I am dropping this show like a hot potato.........I don't know why biology even matters here. Is a child a bait or a toy? Even if he was not his, he could still love and be there? Unless, he feels cheated on and hence the disconnect but that is still not the child's fault...now is it??........but I am pretty sure it is indeed his son......You can't just sign up to be a father and then suddenly decide one day you don't like being one. Its just plain unfair to the child in question and would make Jae Hyun a terrible character. I get that he is suffering in this role as husband and a son-in-law where he is being tossed around at other people's whims. I get that he wants out but he still has to find a way to shield his son from the aftermath of it all. He owes them that much.

As for him going to jail, let me tell you, apparently going to jail is sort of like a rite of passage for Chaebols in Korea....you know where I read it, when Samsung heir went to jail for corruption charges and it was written in CNN. So, Jae Hyun's situation is not unique or unheard of.....its apparently pretty common thing in Uber rich circle.

DCInside post from the Director of When My Love Blooms (Trans. enchantedyears. Source)

Hello, everyone... I'm Son Jung Hyun, the director of "When My Love Blooms".

I would like convey my gratitude to each and every one of you who loves the drama. Three bows for you! Kkubeok! Kkubeok! Kkubeok! (t/n: sound of someone bowing three times lol)

The [DCInside] Gallery's familial atmosphere is so nice and warm. Just like "When My Love Blooms" haha... Is it because those who are aggravated aren't here? Haha

Your passionate support and comments give our actors and production crew the same effect as a bottle of Bacchus (Korean energy drink) when sleepiness hits them.

Sometimes I come here and lurk to receive strength and get some warm criticism. By all means, I wish this space becomes a warm, healing space like "When My Love Blooms". 

Now that I'm here, let me explain a few things that you guys are curious about.

1. In regards to the movie "Love Letter" release date

You guys are correct. The movie was released in Japan in 1995. Whereas in Korea, it was released in movie theatres in 1999, during Kim Daejung's presidency when the ban on Japanese culture was lifted. There's no way the crew didn't know that... If I could ask for your patience...

From the early to mid-90s, there were various cultural discourses around university campus like Baekgajaengmyeong (t/n: movement where scholars, cultural figures, etc. are free to present their theories or arguments through debates and discussions). Then there were also post-modernism theory, post-structuralism theory, Generation X theory, etc

The result of such cultural movements on our soil were university movie clubs and cinematheque (film society). Namely "Xiang Xi", "Culture School Seoul", and so on (t/n: small-scale video spaces that screen copy videos). The culture that was popular at the time was illegal reproduction of hit movies that were not legally released as soon as it came out.

And to go back to my main point, I wanted to show that [cultural nuance] in our drama. I think it would be nice to show some melo movie for the plot. That's why we used "Love Letter" in the name of dramatic admission. Thus, I ask for your tolerance.

Like in the movie "1987: When the Day Comes", Yoo Jae Ha's "Gloomy Letter" is used as the main music theme. The movie was set during the June Democratic Uprising, but in reality Yoo Jae Ha's first album did not come out until December that year.

I would be thankful if you could interpret these points in a similar fashion.

2. Han Jaehyun being Youngmin's father

Haha. Is that even a possibility? Here's a spoiler for you: absolutely not. It's a lot different from the theme of our drama.

3. Were there any radical protests in 1993?

Although the frequency and intensity of the protests were much less than in 1980s, there were sporadic fights and struggles up until the Korea's Labour Movement in 1996. I met and interviewed the person who served as University Student Council in 1994. Some say the demonstrations were a one-way glorification of the rights to protest. But I don't want to portray it that way. We will make sure to portray it realistically and humanely and it's in the production crew's mind.

4. When will the phone booth kissing scene come out?

You have been waiting for it, huh? That's the beauty of preview. The preview is the Assistant Director's masterpiece. It will come out this week. Coming soon!!!

5. How is the shooting progress?

We already have the script up to Ep. 14... The production team is currently shooting episode 11 to 13. Due to the establishment of the 52-hour workweek system, the chronic and deep-rooted evils that come from side scripts (t/n: script that is one-two pages long, not properly made prior to filming but made right before filming), overnight filming, on-site profanity caused by abuse of power, have all disappeared. I'm so grateful.

Please show us your continuous love for "When My Love Blooms". I shall leave now.

To confirm my identity, I'll upload a photo as a proof. It was a get-together in the winter before the spread of COVID-19. I haven't seen all four of them since the filming at the beach in Geoje Island. Haha. Shall we meet again at the after-show party?

tSzYu1s.jpg

----

Ep 5. TEXT PREVIEW

"There are people whom you eventually meet again, no matter what."

Jisoo and Jaehyun, who left the party, will experience a whirlwind of emotions at the beach. These two do not make any promises but keep meeting each other again. Jaehyun finds out he is being followed... Meanwhile in 1994, Jaehyun and Jisoo completed their dream-like trip to the sea. Jisoo says she won't be going back home. Jaehyun holds Jisoo's hand and kneels before her father. 

JANG HYE JIN – YOUR SEASON (너라는 계절은) WHEN MY LOVE BLOOMS OST PART 1

Spring is blossoming in our hearts
My fluttering heart waits for you
Scattering in our eyes

Spoiler

The ticklish whispers of summer emotions
The longing welled up in my forehead
All of this is a new experience from you

Our hearts are colored with autumn
Your smile resembles the cool breeze
And your facial expressions I’ve never seen

I’ve never lived in a season like yours, it’s all unfamiliar
I’ve never seen such beauty
I thought I’d never feel this fluttering feeling again

Worries that we’ll grow apart during winter
Heart-aching nights from the longing
My sighs that hang on the sky

Our hearts are colored with autumn
Your smile resembles the cool breeze
And your facial expressions I’ve never seen

The sky is the most beautiful color during my season with you
A beauty that I’ll never see again
I love you, I love you, it’s our season now

YOUNGJAE (GOT7) & CHOI JUNG YOON – FALLING FOR YOU (빠져드나봐) WHEN MY LOVE BLOOMS OST PART 2

Thinking of you again today
About that night I was with you
My feelings are slowly growing
My footsteps toward you
Feel like they’re walking on a cloud in the sky

Spoiler

When did this start?
Whenever I’m next to you
I laugh for no reason

Oh baby
I like everything about you
I wanna stay with you tonight
Tonight, it’s you and me, will you stay?
You know you’re my everything
I’m falling for you
Falling Falling for you
Falling Falling for you
I’m falling for you

I start spacing out and then I think of you
I keep thinking of you right until I fall asleep
Then suddenly, the sun rises

When did this start?
Whenever I’m next to you
You seem like a dream to me

Oh baby
I’m falling for you
Falling Falling for you
Falling Falling for you
Falling Falling for you
Falling Falling for you

Think I wanna stay
with you everyday
It’s like a dream
All of this
It feels familiar
I’ll always be by your side

I’m falling for you
Falling Falling for you
Falling Falling for you
Falling Falling for you
Falling Falling for you
I’m falling for you

Big thanks to POPGASA

If anybody is interested, Viki will be hosting a “watch party” of episode 1 for this show on Friday night at 8pm Pacific Standard Time. It’s something new that they’re doing where individuals who RSVP can watch the episode live together on their laptop or desktop. The chat box will be live as well to discuss the episode.

8 hours ago, Flaneur2 said:

What we lack is the luxury of understanding Korean language so we have to depend on subs. We are at the mercy of the subbers. Subs sometimes could be wrong though, so reading the body language might help. She was smiling lovingly at him when saying those words. 

I watched 2 different Chinese subs, one translated her as “Such brief answer. Like father like son.” Another translated “Such brief answer. (Are you) afraid people will think you’re not your father’s son?

What is implied by her is that the father-son are so alike in their short responses (men of few words) that there is no way people not know they’re father and son. It is actually to confirm the father-son relationship instead of to cast doubt on it. 

Lists of Most Buzz Worthy Dramas & Actors [5th Week of April, 2020]

Good Data Corporation has shared its weekly rankings of the most popular dramas and cast members who have generated the most buzz over the past week! The company analyzed news articles, blog posts and online communities, videos, and social media from April 27 to May 3 for dramas that are currently airing or are set to air, and they revealed the results on May 5.

The top 10 dramas that generated the most buzz for the 5th week of April

1. JTBC “The World of the Married” - 30.74% (0)

2. SBS “The King: Eternal Monarch“ - 26.16% 0)

3. tvN “Hospital Playlist” - 8.86% (0)

4. MBC “Find Me in Your Memory” - 5.89% (0)

5. MBC “365: One Year Against Destiny” - 4.4% (1)

6. SBS “Good Casting“ - 4.0% (NEW)

7. tvN “When My Love Blooms” - 3.46% (+1)

8. tvN “Memorist“ - 2.27% (+3)

9. KBS2 “Once Again“ - 2.13% (+3)

10. tvN  “Piece of Your Mind” - 1.98% (-1)

The top 10 drama actors that generated the most buzz for the 5th week of April

1. JTBC “The World of the Married” - Kim Hee-ae (0)

2. JTBC “The World of the Married” - Park Hae-joon (0)

3. SBS “The King: Eternal Monarch“ - Lee Min-ho (0)

4. SBS “The King: Eternal Monarch“ - Kim Go-eun (+1)

5. JTBC “The World of the Married” - Han So-hee (-1)

6. tvN “When My Love Blooms” - Lee Bo-young (+5)

7. MBC “Find Me in Your Memory” - Moon Ga-young (+1)

8. tvN “When My Love Blooms” - Yoo Ji-tae (+4)

9. SBS “Good Casting“ - Choi Kang-hee (NEW)

10. tvN “Hospital Playlist” - Jo Jung-suk (-1)

Source: https://instagram.com/gooddata_official

When the leads are beautiful :wub::wub:

Ageless beauty.

I'm actually shock. I can't believe her real age.

Jeon So Nee and Lee Bo Young   as the the younger and adult version of Jisoo. Prett in white.

*all twt post credit to owners as tag*

@jongski

yes she is ageless...yet they make her much older here ??? and that moron driver calls her ahjumma sorry but why are you fooling

some funny comment on okoala drama site mentioned she looks so different from her save the dance days like another person, of course suggesting plastic surgery ! 

imagine being so blind not to tell natural beauty from fake ...jealousy i guess

unnamed-3.jpg

90955383-149483249878708-6608224647789678099-n.jpg

there she is exactly her baby self 

its like putting lipstick on a pig 

one of my fav lines so far

Spoiler

The parallel scenes.  I think I got the style of the drama  Most of the adult scenes mirrors in flashback to the younger scenes

There a lot. I'll just post some All twt posts credit to owners as tag with @

Kiss scene

Piano. White dress.  Jisu sadness

Young Jisu after piano recital.. JH brought her in front of the ocean

Adult Jisu  after playing the piano. white dress. They went to the same place.

cr:

First love. Reunited scene

cr:

Shoe scene

cr:

Check the spoilers for more....

Protest scene

Spoiler

cr:

"Follow my footsteps" scene

"Still sweeps with her foot"  scene

Spoiler

Young JH:  follow my footsteps

Adutl JH: Don't lose me. Follow my footsteps

Young JS:  sweeps the snow with her boots

Adult JS does the same.

cr:

Window scene:

Spoiler

Young JH: sleep weel Jisu

Adult JH: goodnight Jisu

cr:

Slap Scene

Spoiler

2nd post

cr:

"Those who always fight but still lose" scene

Spoiler

2nd post

cr:

Just finished episode 4. Whoa, what a beautiful ending!

I see people comparing it with When the Weather is Fine, but I tried getting into it and it didn't give me these cozy vibes that When my love blooms gives me.

Honestly, I feel like the chemistry between both younger and older couples is amazing. It's so tender, so sweet, it's the little moments that make this kdrama special. And oh, the parallels are just beautiful. This kdrama has amazing power to set up romantic scenes - they really feel special, as if you're looking at some photo album of people who truly exist...

Also, I have to take back my impatience with Ji Soo. I feel that she is a nicely developed character now. And extremely depressed. Therefore, she makes a lot of mistakes (which, frankly, are allowed) - not paying attention to her kid, actually engaging with the police during the protest (when she has a kid!), and overall, making one messy step after another But in the episode 4 I didn't feel frustrated at Ji Soo like in the previous episodes. And the final move, kissing a married man, it felt so fitting that she initiated the kiss and not Jae Hyun. It feels like she tries to grasp any event that is happening in her life and turn it into something that's worth it, trying to find hope in completely desperate situations -  such as the protest, or her relationship with Jae Hyun. And it finally felt genuine. The protagonist doesn't need to be perfect to feel real and relatable.

Jae Hyun on the other hand is a bit one-sided still, but seeing how we got such development from Ji Soo, I expect more from him in the future episodes. I understand his affection for Ji Soo. I understand that he is also looking back at those times and thinking he was the happiest back then.
Regarding the plot, maybe it's just me, but I think that the slaps look...dated? like it's something from 2010s kdramas, and looks a bit out of place here. It's as if Ji Soo's ex-mother in law traveled in time :D  And tbh, the ex-husband still sound reasonable - being suspicious of Jae Huyn and questioning Ji Soo's parenting abilities (given she is deeply depressed).

I feel that the kids subplot is very interesting but I would like to see more interactions between all the parents and their children. The dialog between Ji Soo and her son about her being a superhero was touching, can I have more of that? I would also like to see more of Jae Huyn's son interactions with others. For now he is completely one-dimensional.

I liked the theme of nihilism in the past - yes, it gave me a flashback of myself being in uni, and first love, and beliefs that were so strong. Indeed, good times. This kdrama recreates them perfectly! But I find it kind of strange that everyone (especially Ji Soo) is against Jae Hyun for becoming a different man. I think it's only natural that we grow out of some of our ideas. So I don't see him becoming a capitalist as an act of betrayal.

Overall, I like this drama. It makes me feel cozy and warm and nostalgic. And it's so beautiful. Can't wait for more episodes!

Ok after watching ending ep.4, my thoughts,

1. Normally we dont see female lead chasing male lead, and in this case, she chased him, probably for months. Normally, i would say, common girl, forget him... have some self respect, its ok for men to chase women for months but not women? ... in a way, at least its Jae Hyun who is chasing her now...

2. Jisoo is divorced probably becase the husband had an affair, while Jae Hyun may have entered prison, hence his lonely wife have an affair, but, all doesnt seemed well, n it could be earlier marital discord, maybe his son wasnt his biological son? Maybe... more history need to be reveal

3. The real cause of separation between the young couple need explaination

4. Jisoo's kiss to Jae Hyun, like yeah, why not! She is stressed n tired as it is, and an ex-love seemed to chase her too ... heee (oh his wife is mean too... who asked her not to met him when he was out of prison? )

5. Kids, such expensive school n no one knows whats going on there, except JH... haiz

Cant wait for the next episode!:D..

i am curious after they kissed, are they finally in affair since both of them still held each other’s memory without being said. I feel like Jaehyun would do anything for JiSoo at this rate :tears:

and in my conclusion after watching episode 1-4 for three days straight on repeat, there’s no turning back for them to redeem themself as ex lover. i hope there’s happy ending for both of them. Both of them suffered enough in this world :tears:

‘When My Love Blooms’ Asks Whether A First Love Can Survive Cynicism

Joan MacDonald Contributor

I'm a journalist fascinated by Korean drama and film.

960x0.jpg?cropX1=0&cropX2=974&cropY1=17&

Don’t let the title of the drama When My Love Blooms fool you. Yes, this Korean drama is about love, but it’s also about the age when people usually experience a first love. It’s about a time in life when it’s easier to be passionate and idealistic about people and causes.

When the drama’s main characters, Han Jae-hyun and Yoon Ji-soo, first meet they are college students. As an activist, he is ardently involved in reform, and a leader of  student demonstrations. Touched by his kindness, but also inspired by his ideals, the bright, upbeat Ji-soo becomes passionate about everything he stands for. She not only follows him because she wants to date him but she's excited by his zeal, his determination to change the world. The way she pursues him borders on the obsessive and eventually her fervor wears down his resistance, 

When My Love Blooms alternates its storyline between the characters’ college days and the present day, when their lives are far from the ideal they imagined. Jae-hyun and Ji-soo are played by GOT7’s Park Jin-young and actress Jeon Seo-nee when seen as college students. Actors Yoo Ji-tae and Lee Bo-young play the couple in the present day.

Twenty years after they first met, Jae-hyun is a hard-hearted executive at the kind of corporation he used to protest against. Ji-soo is a hard-working divorced mom, caring for a son and her senile father, plus still helping to support protests, including the ones in front of Jae-hyun’s company. 

It’s almost as if they changed places in the world. She’s political and he abandoned his dreams of social reform. However, he has never forgotten her or that hopeful time in their lives and he keeps looking for her. Is she that important to him or is she part of the life he once hoped to lead? 

The lovers meet again at the school their children both attend. In the interim neither has succeeded in finding anyone else to love as much. Ji-soo is divorced, Jae-hyun is unhappily married. What led to their long separation is not immediately obvious, but the lives they now lead may be enough to keep them apart. He has become everything they both despised.

When Jae-hyun finds Ji-soo, he begins to follow her, much the same way she first followed him. Will connecting with his lost first love also revive Jae-hyun’s idealism? Love is complicated and it’s also hard to correct a wrong turn in life. 

The drama summons up ample servings of romantic intensity with picture-postcard camera shots of falling blossoms and drifting snow, a soundtrack rich in violins and piano pieces, but it’s obvious that even in this lush setting, reviving lost love is not going to be easy. 

The talented Lee Bo-young has created a Ji-soo that is both fragile, principled and tenacious, a woman who does not just talk about caring for others, but quietly struggles through it. The actress previously played a distraught mother in the thriller God’s Gift 14 Days and explored the meaning of motherhood in her last TV drama Mother. Yoo was last seen in the drama Different Dreams and the film Money. Park Jin-young most recently appeared in the TV dramas He Is Psychometric and Melting Me Softly, while Jeon Seo-hee appeared in the drama Encounter and the film Ghost Walk.

Source:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/joanmacdonald/2020/05/07/when-my-love-blooms-asks-whether-a-first-love-can-survive-cynicism/#4a18f9132625

Jeon So Nee And GOT7’s Jinyoung Are College Sweethearts In “When My Love Blooms” Special Poster
TV/FILM

53458d99695f4b90b8784a2714a5fae0.jpeg?s=

by S. Nam
tvN’s weekend drama “When My Love Blooms” released a breathtaking special poster starring GOT7’s Jinyoung and Jeon So Nee!

Spoiler

The drama tells the story of reunited college sweethearts Han Jae Hyun and Yoon Ji Soo, who are now living completely different lives as adults. The drama stars Yoo Ji Tae and Lee Bo Young as the main characters and Jinyoung and Jeon So Nee as their respective younger counterparts.

Spoiler

In the previous episode, Han Jae Hyun (Jinyoung) and Yoon Ji Soo (Jeon So Nee) opened up about their feelings to one another and began dating. After confirming their mutual feelings, they also shared a heart-fluttering kiss.

Amidst growing curiosity about how their romance progressed in the past, the drama released a new poster of Han Jae Hyun and Yoon Ji Soo sitting side by side on the sofa of their club room underneath the warm and dazzling sunlight. Yoon Ji Soo smiles shyly as Han Jae Hyun softly approaches to plant a kiss on her cheek, perfectly capturing the tender emotions of first love.

Jinyoung-Jeon-So-Nee.jpg

Furthermore, the club room has special meaning to both Han Jae Hyun and Yoon Ji Soo since it is the location where they shared sweet naps during the summer and watched the film “Love Letter” together. Viewers are highly anticipating the couple’s upcoming love story due to the refreshing chemistry between Jinyoung and Jeon So Nee.

“When My Love Blooms” airs on weekends at 9 p.m. KST.

SOOMPI

I don't know if it is so much about love and lovers fate ... or its more about 2 lost cause ppl who have to find themselves... he has lost his dream and thus his values ... and she seems to have became landed in the biggest mess and a failure due to guilt complex and self loathing...

Archived