[Drama 2020] When My Love Blooms, 화양연화

0ly40

Park Jinyoung as the young Han Jaehyun. Jeon So Nee  the young  Jisu. Nation's first love. 

First Love. First Kiss.

cr@

I know Jinyoung from My Love Eundong. Jeon So Nee, it's first time watching her. They are getting love from viewers as much as  the adult leads. Yes it's a cliche drama but the four leads are good.

cr:@

welll.... 

Young JH and JS love can be describe as patient kind adorable cute sweet loving.  Determined together. 

Adult JH and JS is more misery and wanting and waiting. Determined but not together.....yet.

So we see the difference from past to present. But one thing's for sure. They still have that same feelings.

And if you want to know how romatic this drama is, check the twt post post below

The poem A Joyful Letter by Hwang Dong Gyu.. describes them and their feeligs

cr:@

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So based on today's news on soompi, i think we can guess that the reason why they separated was probably because JS's father was threatening to do something to JH, him being a student activist and all ... hence easier to target him, for his daughter's submission... 

I for one, wants a happy ending for both leads... 

130dd6cee4554cad82403804d4661276.jpeg?s=

GOT7’s Jinyoung And Jeon So Nee Face New Obstacles In “When My Love Blooms”

May 8, 2020
by J. Lim

GOT7’s Jinyoung and Jeon So Nee are in trouble as they face off against Jang Gwang in tvN’s “When My Love Blooms.”

tvN’s weekend drama “When My Love Blooms” tells the story of Han Jae Hyun and Yoon Ji Soo, who run into each other years later after being each other’s first love. The drama follows their story in both the present and the past. The characters’ past selves are played by Jinyoung and Jeon So Nee while their present selves are taken on by Yoo Ji Tae and Lee Bo Young.

Spoiler

Spoiler

The previous episode shocked viewers when Yoon Ji Soo was slapped by her father Yoon Hyung Gu (Jang Gwang) for participating in a student movement. Han Jae Hyun witnessed this and though he was enraged, he could do nothing but watch. Now knowing what went on behind closed doors after thinking that Yoon Ji Soo had lived like a princess with her wealthy family, Han Jae Hyun is set to face Yoon Hyung Gu in the upcoming episode.

The new stills show Han Jae Hyun and Yoon Ji Soo facing Yoon Hyung Gu together. Han Jae Hyun looks determined and composed, and Yoon Hyung Gu is staring back at him with a sharp gaze.

GOT7-Jinyoung-Jeon-So-Nee-Jang-Gwang.jpg

There seems to be trouble brewing for Han Jae Hyun and Yoon Ji Soo’s love as words are exchanged between the father and daughter that leaves Yoon Ji Soo staring at her father with resentment. It remains to be seen what kind of offer Yoon Hyung Gu makes to Yoon Ji Soo that gets her thinking, and how it affects her blossoming love with Han Jae Hyun.

The upcoming episode of “When My Love Blooms” is set to air at 9 p.m. KST on May 9. Catch up with the latest episode with English subtitles below!

SOOMPI

https://www.soompi.com/article/1399142wpp/when-my-love-blooms-cast-shares-funny-stories-from-filming-describes-how-theyre-similar-to-their-characters-and-more

“When My Love Blooms” Cast Shares Funny Stories From Filming, Describes How They’re Similar To Their Characters, And More

May 8, 2020
by J. K

81CE786D-1E13-4743-A55E-5EC9394EA3F4.png

The cast of “When My Love Blooms” told stories from filming, talked about their characters, and more in an exclusive interview with Rakuten Viki!

The tvN drama tells the story of reunited college sweethearts Han Jae Hyun and Yoon Ji Soo, who are now living completely different lives as adults. The drama stars Yoo Ji Tae and Lee Bo Young as the main characters and Jinyoung and Jeon So Nee as their respective younger counterparts.

In the interview, the cast members were asked if they had any funny stories from filming. Jeon So Nee said, “We were filming a scene in a hut where Jinyoung was drunk and had to sleep on my shoulder for a long time,” she said. “He said that his jaw hurt because my shoulder was so sharp.” Their co-stars laughed and Jinyoung joked, “I needed physiotherapy after that.”

332E3EB7-03EB-404F-BA4E-7A7F175A6F9E.jpg

Jeon So Nee went on to tell another story about when she was filming a tight shot. “Jinyoung said he was going to help me focus and he came up towards me hanging on the camera,” she said, sharing that it had made her laugh a lot.

Jinyoung then said that he had something he felt sorry about, explaining that Lee Bo Young had made them a lot of delicious food but he’d been too busy to express his thanks. “Although it’s late, thank you for the food!” he said. Jeon So Nee raised her hand and said, “I did say thank you!”

Lee Bo Young laughed and turned to Yoo Ji Tae and asked, “What’s up with them?” Jinyoung also shared that Yoo Ji Tae had given them vitamins to help boost their immune system.

23122A2C-F73A-440F-ABE6-2D4A4CC340FF.jpg

Spoiler

A00B65DE-A17A-4870-96DA-44AF479114C2.jpg

On the other hand, Lee Bo Young and Yoo Ji Tae explained that their scenes were more serious and gloomy so the atmosphere on set hadn’t lent itself to similar funny anecdotes.

The actors were asked to describe the drama in five syllables in Korean, and Jeon So Nee hesitated, saying she’s not good at that. Lee Bo Young suggested she say, “Jeon So Nee is acting in it,” which made her laugh.

On the topic of how they’re similar to their characters, Jinyoung said, “I’m usually mischievous, but when I’m serious, I’m really serious. Jae Hyun is very serious, so I think I’m like him in that way.”

Jeon So Nee shared that she’s like her character in that they’re both honest with themselves. “We admit what we don’t know,” she said. “We don’t pretend like we know something if we don’t. I think, ‘It’s okay if you didn’t know, you just need to know it now.’ I keep an open mind, and I’m very curious and interested in my surroundings. I’m also influenced a lot by the people around me. I think we’re similar in that way.”

The cast lastly gave a shout out to Viki viewers! They said, “Viki fans, please love our drama ‘When My Love Blooms’!”

Spoiler

3A1D2AE2-C5D1-4C5A-878E-7A1BF2673DA1.jpg

Watch the interview below!

WATCH NOW

And check out the latest episode of “When My Love Blooms” on Viki here!

WATCH NOW

Has anyone read this article?

http://www.dramabeans.com/2020/05/a-contract-romance-you-your-drama-and-the-suspension-of-disbelief/

(exceprt)

Here’s an example of how that played out for me recently in a scene from When My Love Blooms (it’s a bit long, so buckle up). Our hero is reminiscing on a romantic and treasured memory where he protected his girl from an onslaught of falling books. My brain’s first thought: the chances of a bookshelf in a bookstore collapsing and falling all over the place are pretty slim, but this is a beautiful moment, so I shall momentarily accept that this occurred.

Disbelief_6.jpg

Later, when we revisit the scene, we learn that the heroine, though protected, got a fingertip slammed by one of those books. This resulted in a unique scar on her fingernail. My brain’s next thought? No, that’s not how it works. I’ve injured a fingernail many a time, and seen others do it as well, and what happens is not a pretty little bruise on your nail bed. No, says my brain. You either kill the nail right at the root and it turns black and falls off, eventually growing back, or your nail has a minor mark/injury that grows out in a matter of weeks, since that is what nails do. And just like that, what I’ve witnessed in this scene is rejected by my brain.

Do you see what just happened, though? My rational (okay, semi-rational) brain just took all the beauty and romance (in the capital R sense of romance) in this scene and effectively killed it. Instead, I’m left with a story I don’t trust, and an extremely cynical taste in my mouth. Why did I bother?

Disbelief_8A.jpg Disbelief_8B.jpg

This was just one rather minute example, but if you think back to any drama you’ve watched, I’m sure you can come up with a similar situation. It doesn’t have to be a construct for a recognition scene like this nail bruise was (our hero recognizing the masked pianist by that very scar). Instead, it can be a broader part of the story — like the alarming frequency of head/brain injuries in a drama like Chocolate, for instance. In this drama our hero was, of course, a neurosurgeon, so these injuries had to exist around him as a part of his world.

But while these “unbelievable” elements might be implausible, they’re also carefully chosen and built for their stories. Why are we so intent on calling them out, as if we’ll get some sort of prize for being smarter than the story? Maybe what we’re really doing is just killing the magic.

That’s why I like the idea of having poetic faith. And exercising that faith towards the story. Rather than huffing and puffing my way through a drama, I like to remind myself that the story was built that way for a reason: it’s telling a story. That bruise is on a pianist’s fingernail because it enables our hero to recognize his long lost love by her scars — and what a beautiful moment, and metaphor, is that?

Why ruin that moment — and so many others like it — by demanding stories to be just like real life? That’s never been the intention of storytelling. Instead, stories take experiences that we can all relate to, and distill them into something complete, with a beginning, a middle, and an end. If I wanted a drama that was just like everyday life — well, I wouldn’t, because that’s not the purpose.

Perhaps my conclusion is this: yes, dramas sometimes ask us to accept crazy things. But mostly, what they’re really asking is for us to enjoy them. Believe in them when they’re unbelievable. Soak up the serendipity and interconnectedness. Hop on that magic carpet.

That contract between you and the story that we talked about at the opening of this piece — what if that contract was actually a contract romance between you and the story? What if the story was trying to win your heart the whole time, just because? And you know what happens at the end of every contract romance story as well as I do. You fall in love despite yourself, despite the obstacles — and most importantly in this case, despite any flaws in fact or logic.

--

Ha ha, hilarious, and a good point! An injury underneath your nail would usually grow out, so it's pretty hard to believe that Ji-Su still has a scar from the bookstore 20+ years later. (Also, I did LOL when the books fell, and Jae-Hyeon woke up right at that moment to rescue her. Ah, a classic K-drama trope.)

As I wrote before, if you nitpick, there will be so many scenes that are just a little too silly, BUT I still LOVE IT ALL.

I'm willing to suspend belief in order to let myself get carried away.

Even though I still can't believe that Seo-Gyeong would deliberately humiliate Ji-Su and demand that Jae-Hyeon be there to see it *after* she found out that Ji-Su is a Candy and that Jae-Hyeon has a weakness for the weak - despite the fact that that is completely incongruous with his reputation as a ruthless corporate blowhard towards laborers...

But I still love it. Can't wait until tomorrow!

I love this drama @chickfactor .. agree with you and the article.....it’s definitely easier to suspend belief & give time for the writer to tell his/ her story. I particularly enjoy dramas where the protagonists are flawed & are conflicted .  Weave in some well used tropes & throw in some romantic cinematography to sugar coat the makjang plot , and it becomes a very enjoyable watch . :D

Can’t wait for tonight. 

I think both JH & JS are at possibly the lowest points in their lives . Even in JH’s case he doesn’t exactly own what he supposedly has. The younger version of the OTP represents a time where you’re hopeful &  it feels like you can overcome all the hurdles in front of you . Your dreams & ideals fuel your passion;  you aren’t afraid & you have nothing lose . But live long enough you may become like the older JH & JS - you become cynical and weary .  You’re afraid of losing  because you have  things or people  you need to protect . You look back & see all the choices you have made and wonder why life can’t give you a break . That kiss JS gave JH felt like a moment where she badly needed to go back to a time where she felt the happiest and he had  the most courage . Sure it was wrong especially given JH’s marital status , but as a viewer who buys their love story it also felt right . I can’t explain it . 

From a storytelling perspective, I suppose it just added an interesting layer to the plot. After all won’t it be terribly boring to have another 12 episodes of them just staring & longing from afar :P:lol:?   Yeah , give me the drama & the angst!!!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1399238wpp/emotions-deepen-in-both-the-past-and-present-in-when-my-love-blooms

Emotions Deepen In Both The Past And Present In “When My Love Blooms”

May 9, 2020
by J. Lim

461ABD9F-0797-4811-8E52-B2B7A1E1D671.png

tvN’s weekend drama “When My Love Blooms” has shared new stills of emotions deepening between the main characters in both the past and present.

“When My Love Blooms” tells the story of Han Jae Hyun and Yoon Ji Soo, who were each other’s first love and then meet up again later on in life. Yoo Ji Tae and Lee Bo Young play the characters in the present while GOT7’s Jinyoung and Jeon So Nee play the characters in the past.

The new stills show Han Jae Hyun and Yoon Ji Soo meeting up in the present, an odd current of energy flowing between them as they feel conflicted between the beautiful memories and love they once shared and the wall of reality that separates them. They each have a different expression on their faces as they gaze at each other.

They are not alone however as Yoon Ji Soo’s ex-husband Lee Se Hoon (played by Kim Young Hoon) watches the pair from his car. His cold expression reflects the danger he will put the pair in with his antagonistic attitude.

Spoiler

8CBE9549-32F6-4CA3-8F90-D9A71D37B90E.jpg

94D2D759-F522-412E-87B1-A39FD753CC8B.jpg

A798B265-C7A6-4005-AAE7-6B1D754F47FB.jpg

22D8C272-C0D5-4D93-B6D5-15F01DF80A31.jpg

Meanwhile, Han Jae Hyun and Yoon Ji Soo’s past storyline continues as emotions deepen between them. The new stills show the warmth that is in their eyes as they enjoy being in each other’s presence. The pair also share a kiss in a telephone on a rainy night.

Spoiler

05269A02-F690-4AC4-B40A-D3F0C982A34F.jpg

C3E7B487-0AF4-4EB9-9568-EE05A2AEB5AB.jpg

FFE35610-EC96-4AD5-A0E2-EE183ADDC518.jpg

75D54944-87F8-4D8C-90F8-33E6768EC431.jpg

Han Jae Hyun and Yoon Ji Soo’s deepening love stories in both the past and present will continue with the upcoming episode of “When My Love Blooms,” which will air at 9 p.m. KST on May 9.

Catch up with the latest episode below!

WATCH NOW

Source (1) (2)

———

https://www.soompi.com/article/1398310wpp/4-things-we-loved-1-thing-we-hated-about-episodes-3-4-of-when-my-love-blooms

4 Things We Loved & 1 Thing We Hated About Episodes 3 & 4 Of “When My Love Blooms”

May 9, 2020
by kaityv

615AD718-EA02-4F12-B354-1606A2EFA69E.png

The latest episodes of “When My Love Blooms” made us cry, laugh, swoon, and ball our fists up. Though so many exhilarating K-dramas are coming to an end, this drama is just getting started. Here’s a look at the things we loved and hated about the new episodes.

Warning: Spoilers for the episodes ahead. 

1. LOVED: Ji Soo’s talk with Young Min

Mother and son relationships usually go one of two ways in K-dramas: heartwarming or heart-shattering. Fortunately, Ji Soo (Lee Bo Young) is totally laying the groundwork for being one of the best K-drama moms. In the third episode, Young Min (Ko Woo Rim) comes home for the weekend and Ji Soo welcomes him with a buffet of food at home. While it should be a celebration, things grow a little somber as the pair has a heart-to-heart.

It’s refreshing to see Ji Soo assuring Young Min that she not only believes he had a reason for the fight in school but also that he should behave like a kid.  All too often, kids in K-dramas have to grow up too fast and become hardened by life with little support from their parents. Ji Soo sets a great example of what every parent should be for their children and it makes you root for her to keep Young Min in her custody.

2. LOVED: Ji Soo calling out Jae Hyun

There’s something romantic about someone’s first love coming back into their life to remind them who they really are. “When My Love Blooms” does not disappoint with this in the emotionally charged confrontation between Ji Soo and Jae Hyun (Yoo Ji Tae) where they discuss what will happen to the protestors. Ji Soo is quick to remind him of what he said when they were younger about being on the losing team and ultimately refuses his offer.

The way the scene switches between the past and present strengthens the emotions between the characters. In fact, the past scenes in the episodes reaffirm how deeply their bond runs. They spent their time protecting and supporting one another from the burdens of life. As a viewer, you can’t help but feel Ji Soo’s frustration after discovering that someone she looked up to and cherished has become such a sellout.

3. LOVED: Jae Hyun deciding to begin making different choices

While it was daunting to start the drama off last week watching Jae Hyun make awful choices than his younger counterpart, this week’s episodes seem to assure that we will be seeing some change. After watching his father-in-law go over his head and have the police raid the protestors, Jae Hyun announces to his wife, Jang Seo Kyung (Park Si Yeon), that he will be making different decisions to become happy. Jae Hyun assures her this is due to his beliefs, but she dismisses him and admits she has her eye on Ji Soo.

Although Jae Hyun still makes a lot of questionable decisions, it’s refreshing to see that his development is slowly being built up in each episode. It shows that this kind of change is a slow and difficult process that can’t be fixed overnight.

4. LOVED: Ji Soo absolutely owning Jang Seo Kyung

When there’s a rich and petty heiress wife involved in a K-drama, there’s almost always a scene where they absolutely humiliate the protagonist to boost their fragile ego. “When My Love Blooms” spares its viewers from this trope as Jang Seo Kyung’s plan to humiliate Ji Soo in public fails.

After discovering that Ji Soo is the pianist at the lounge her husband frequents, Seo Kyung throws her bait in the form of a party. Ji Soo takes the job, unbeknownst of who is hosting it, and is told to wear a pristine white designer dress, which Seo Kyung has her friend accidentally spill wine on. However, instead of following Seo Kyung’s order to keep playing without her mask, Ji Soo refuses.

5. HATED: Jang Seo Kyung’s stereotypical behavior

It was clear from the premiere episodes that Jang Seo Kyung would be a pain in the audience’s neck since she seems like your typical insecure and malicious wife that the male lead doesn’t really love. In the latest episodes, she’s absolutely incorrigible as she relentlessly keeps targeting Ji Soo out of jealousy.

Her cunning and controlling personality is just plain annoying. While she’s sure to be a formidable villain, it would’ve been more intriguing to see a character that is actually fleshed out and not a walking stereotype. When it comes to love triangles, they usually fail when the viewer is not torn between the possible love interests. In this case, there’s one contender, Ji Soo, who is the clear choice. Seo Kyung’s only purpose is to be the antagonistic third point of the love triangle. Since her behavior is escalating so early on, it feels like it’s definitely going to get repetitive as the drama continues.

Catch this week’s episodes below: 

WATCH NOW

————

OSEN | 2020. 05. 09. 6:47 AM

"When My Love Blooms" Park Jinyoung (GOT7) and Jeon So Nee's sweet kiss

1DEAE504-0EF1-41C7-BF40-0DAEC16110AB.jpg

The drama "When My Love Blooms" published beautiful and sparkling images of Park Jinyoung (GOT7) and Jeon So Nee.

Episode 5 of the Sat-Sun TV series "When My Love Blooms" (tvN/ Scriptwriter: Jeon Hee Young/ Director: Son Jung Hyun/ Producers: Bon Factory, Studio Dragon) aired on May 9 will bring a romantic atmosphere that "dye" the small screen in pink when revealing the scene of Park Jinyoung (as young Jae Hyun) and Jeon So Nee (as young Ji Soo) once again affirming the love for each other through a heart-fluttering kiss.

In the previous episode, when meeting again in the present, Han Jae Hyun (played by Yoo Ji Tae) and Yoon Ji Soo (played by Lee Bo Young) expressed their longing for each other through a dolorous kiss. Even after a long time of separation, their affection for each other was still clearly demonstrated, thereby making viewers curious about the reason they broke up in the past.

In the midst of that, "When My Love Blooms" revealed the image of Jae Hyun (played by Park Jinyoung) and Ji Soo (played by Jeon So Nee) together experiencing happy time in the past, promising to evoke fluttering and heartbreaking emotions. The photo series captures the look of Han Jae Hyun and Yoon Ji Soo giving affectionate gazes at each other, making warm and heart-fluttering memories of the first love bloom in viewers' hearts.

Besides, Yoon Ji Soo implied that she would continue the relationship in the future when telling Han Jae Hyun, "There are those who will eventually meet again no matter what." The image of the two's cautious kiss in the public phone booth at a rainy night has made viewers feel their deeper love and focus attention on what is waiting for the couple ahead.

Therefore, the audience is eagerly looking forward to the official broadcast to see if the sincere feelings of Han Jae Hyun and Yoon Ji Soo can overcome the past to touch each other's heart at the present and how the love story imbued with gloomy colors will evolve in the future.

The audience can see emotions like an artwork created by the actor couple of Yoo Ji Tae - Lee Bo Young and Park Jinyoung - Jeon So Nee in episode 5 of "When My Love Blooms" broadcast today (May 9).

OSEN = Reporter Park So Young comet568@osen.co.kr
Photo = tvN
Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive
https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

I cannot tell from the IG cuts if they continued with the kiss btwn the older pair last week. From what I can tell , the drama just showed the younger pair enjoying themselves in the beach...

1. In present time , he dropped her off...i don't think they are going to pursue anything . She did not want him to worry about her  , but he does not want her to avoid him ( if I understand correctly)

2.  So JS was in the hospital visiting her dad...she remembers what happened after that 1st beach kiss 20 years ago. He took her home  she didn't want to go in or did not want him to go in with her. But young JH insisted and they knelt in front of JS's dad. JH was really brave them and stood up for JS and wants the old man to treat JS better...

3. JS dad on the surface did not throw a fit ...and just walked off after that. JS felt relieved at first , thinking her dad accepts JH...but later in the evening she overhears her dad on the phone wanting someone to check on JH and I think to get him into trouble ( I believe this could be why JS had to leave JH)

4. Back in the present , JS met up with the bestie bar owner...sigh poor guy, friendzoned for life . But at least she has him as a friend . I think she tells him she's not playing anymore in the hotel...though I don't think he knows the real reason why.

5. Hmmmm JH's wife asked to meet up with JS , and I hear her bring up Young Min again. Errr , I am not sure if she's letting that slide ...but I think she's being rather sneaky here and will continue to keep tabs on JS.

6. We get a lot of sweet flashbacks of the younger pair as their romance bloom while he continues his activist work. There was one scene where she ended up watching a movie alone and she was going to leave the cinema . It was a rainy day and he came to see her . long story short it led to a very sweet phone booth kiss. There were many more sweet moments

7. So there was a scene in the present when Young Min was with his dad. The dad saw his letter to JS , and questioned him about it and also about his grades. Think the father finds out about the bully issue

8. The IG cuts don't reveal much about the development of the OTP in the present..but towards the end, JH came by to see JS ...he told her he missed her..they were downstairs at her apartment. The ex hubs had come by and saw them from his car. He remembered JH from the hospital. He took some photos and realised he may have seen JH somewhere and did a search on who JH is.

in the preview , I think  we will see a lot of how cracks developed in their relationship in the past...JH gets caught for something ( possibly due to JS's dad). In the present , it was rather quick but it seems that JS's ex will meet up with JH's wife and she checks on JH's car camera. maybe finding out that JS and JH were together. 

@triplem, I guess now that the ex-possessive husband enters the picture now things will get crazy. I do believe the fact that he and Ji Soo are divorced doesn’t bother him because Young Min is his leverage. On the other hand, Young Min seem to be on his mother’s side since he’s fearful of his dad taking him away. Poor kid. He probably lives anxiously considering these things.

16 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

@triplem, I guess now that the ex-possessive husband enters the picture now things will get crazy. I do believe the fact that he and Ji Soo are divorced doesn’t bother him because Young Min is his leverage. On the other hand, Young Min seem to be on his mother’s side since he’s fearful of his dad taking him away. Poor kid. He probably lives anxiously considering these things.

I do feel terrible for Young Min . He's shouldering too much  wanting to protect his mum. He is really just a kid after all , and I wish that the father does not use him that way. But it is clear that the dad/ the ex is not over JS and in my mind I don't think he's ultimately trying to take custody back from JS. In fact I think he keeps using YM as an excuse to be still part of JS's life. I am keen to find out what happened to them , why JS left . 

11 minutes ago, triplem said:

I do feel terrible for Young Min . He's shouldering too much on his little shoulders wanting to protect his mum. He is really just a kid after all , and I wish that the father does not use him that way. But it is clear that the dad/ the ex is not over JS and in my mind I don't think he's ultimately trying to take custody back from JS. In fact I think he keeps using YM as an excuse to be still part of JS's life. I am keen to find out what happened to them , why JS left . 

Yes, I don’t think he wants to take Young Min from Ji Soo but he uses or will use the child as a tool to hold on to Ji Soo in whatever way he can. I think if Ji Soo remain single for the rest of her life it would suit him fine because he still has a foothold in her life through Young Min. It would be nice if Young Min can feel secure without the threat of custody being revoked from Ji Soo but the fact that he knows to worry about this must mean that he must have heard some threat in the past about his father taking him away from his mom. 

Thinking about it, I wonder if Ji Soo has ever been happy since her college days. Back then her domineering father clearly gave her a difficult time. Then she married and I kind of believe her mother-in-law gave her hell. Her introduction at the hospital was the slap across Ji Soo’s face. The only other bright spot in her life must be Young Min because she went from a terrible father to that kind of mother-in-law.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200507000340

’90s music is back, across generational divide

Drama soundtracks lead the newtro trend

By Lim Jang-won | May 9, 2020

56C074BE-CE37-4DE2-A5D1-C0D55CA1595A.jpg

The five main characters from “Hospital Playlist” play music together in a college band. (CJ ENM)

Young artists are repopularizing songs from the ’90s as part of a newtro trend that has hit the music scene, along with a wide range of other industries in South Korea, influencing tastes in beverages, fashion and games.

Spearheading the newtro music trend is the soundtrack from the popular tvN drama series “Hospital Playlist,” which has released songs from each of its episodes.

“Hospital Playlist” centers on five doctors in their 40s who have been friends since college and are reunited some 20 years later. They play music from their younger days, when they formed a college band. 

“We chose songs that not only reflect the atmosphere of the drama and fit the actors but also reflect the plot of each episode,” said the “Hospital Playlist” production team. 

Eight songs from the soundtrack have been released so far: Kwon Jin-ah’s cover of Boohwal’s “Lonely Night” (1997), Red Velvet member Joy’s cover of Basis’ “Introduce Me a Good Person” (1996), Jo Jung-suk’s cover of mixed-gender pop group Cool’s song “Aloha” (2001), K-pop boy band Super Junior member Kyuhyun’s cover of Lee Seung-hwan’s “Confession Is Not Flashy” (1993), Urban Zakapa’s cover of Lee Jeong-yeol’s “Beautiful My Love” (1999), Kwak Jin-eon’s cover of Zoo’s “In Front of City Hall at the Subway Station” (1990), J Rabbit’s cover of Mono’s “You Always” (1993) and K-pop group Mamamoo member Whee In’s cover of the late Seo Ji-won’s “With My Tears” (1996).

“Aloha” -- featured in the third episode -- has topped music charts since its release. 

“Many genres of music were loved in the ’90s, so there is a surplus of materials available for consumption,” said music critic Choi Kyu-sung. “It was a period when we turned from analog to digital, and different genres of music flourished,” he said. “Newtro is nothing new, as bringing back old songs has been around for a while, and it will continue as it has become a category of its own,” said Choi.

When My Love Blooms” is another tvN drama that features ’90s music on its soundtrack. “Don’t Leave My Side” (1991) by Light and Salt played as the two main characters recalled the days when they were in their 20s and fell in love. The music brought back the atmosphere of the ’90s and highlighted the time shifts between past and present.

Newtro music evokes nostalgia in the older generation and presents new music for the younger generation.

“‘Music has now become too common. Smartphones have hundreds of (songs) stored on them or can stream music anytime. Naturally, the reverence for music or the nostalgia has disappeared,” said Lee Ho-jin, who runs an LP bar called Yonhee38Avenue in Yeonhui-dong, Seoul, where one of the scenes from “When My Love Blooms” was shot. “The reason analog comes back is because people yearn for the past. The music of the 2000s doesn’t have the lyricism of the ’90s,” he said.

“Many people ask for music from the ’90s. Artists like Light and Salt, Kim Hyeon-chul and Yang Soo-kyung are requested now and then. People also hear their music from dramas and come to our bar to listen to it,” said Yang of LP bar Dasoyu in Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul.

By Lim Jang-won (ljw@heraldcorp.com)

Ep. 5 Recap - mostly about present JH and JS

- In a hotel room, SK drinks her wine while staring outside the window into the distance and she drops her glass. (I get the impression that she sees the kiss from afar? But I can't be sure since JS & JH were in a car ride before getting to the beach)

- On the beach, JS walks away from JH after the kiss saying it's time to go. But she looks behind her shoulder and there are JS and JH younger selves playing on the beach.

- Young JH and JS got slightly wet and she's hungry and cold. So JH and JS goes to the nearest flea market to get some clothes to change to (insert flea market clip preview here haha) JS tries seonji (clotted cow blood) for the first time. She doesn't like the look of it, but ends up finishing her meal, saying it was delicious.

- In present day, JS and JH take a walk on a bridge. JS asks, "Sunbae, did you think we look a little pretty back then?". JH says, "No, we looked *very*, very, pretty." Then they smile to each other, although rather painfully.

(cont'd under the spoiler tag lol it's LONG)

Spoiler

- Finally JH drops JS at her place. Before she gets out of the car JH says "Yesterday, when I said I was gonna be by your side, I mean it." But she insists it was all a dream, she's woken up. In return he says "If I can protect you, I will. So that you no longer have to cry." JS is like, "Don't worry, I might cry in a dream but in real life I'm good." Then he reassures her not to cry or he'll come to find her if she does and hopes she'll have a good rest.

- SK is asleep in a hotel room but gets waken up by the sound of a doorbell. It's the model guy she's seeing. She wants him to come in but he says he gotta leave soon. Apparently he's not into her for her money(?) He then gives SK a kiss on the cheek but SK looks disinterested. She gives the model a credit card so he can buy himself a new bag and throw away the one he's currently carrying because it's ugly.

- JH goes off to meet SK's dad. I think they're talking about the bank account thing, if it all goes well or not. He asks if SK is okay or not, why is she acting like that again, is JH not afraid of him because he is (either afraid of JH or he's indeed a scary person?)

- In the car, JS receives a call from his friend he met in ep. 1 (investigator? or someone from the bank) saying someone used a credit card at the department store buying branded items. Perhaps the model guy.

- JH meets SK at her hotel room, she's obviously drunk and she throws a pillow at him. She asks where did he go, were you with that woman, she wants him to ignore the fact that she's seeing the model because it was nothing, it's all because of the stress. (I kinda feel bad for SK, but not really)

- At home, JS is thinking about the kiss but then she snaps out of it and does house chores to distract herself. She gets a call from the hotel manager and leaves for the hotel.

- (not sure if JS gets fired from the hotel because of the party fiasco or if she quit) The hotel manager thinks what JS did was cool and refreshing. JS asks, "That refreshing cider-like thing, how much does it cost?" meaning she'll replace the dress cost. The manager will contact her and let her know. Manager asks JS if she's going to go to another hotel because she'll follow her. JS says she still doesn't know where she'll go and what she'll do now. Manager tells her to find some strength and assures her if she lives diligently, good days will come soon. JS replies, "Good days and a good world still haven't come..."

- JS leaves the hotel and sees JH and SK walking out of the lobby. Their car passes JS and she turns her back so they can't see her. She's reminded of the reality.

- In the car, SK says to JH not to act like that again and not to hold another person's hand in front of her. She says, "You know why I act like that." but JH looks outside the window and doesn't say anything back.

- JS goes to see her dad at the hospital, he's sleeping but she still talks to him. Flashback to JH asking for JS's dad permission, etc. Present day JS tells her sleeping dad not to worry because she won't be seeing JH again. She gets a text from the hotel manager saying the dress costs 3million KRW...

- At the music academy, JS asks her boss for some more private class sessions but the boss says she already teaches a lot of private classes. She says she needs some money for an emergency. Not sure what they talk about next but JS ends up thanking the boss. After that JS is seen cleaning the music academy and she goes to Part-Time Heaven app for some extra work. There, she finds a part-time job cleaning dishes at a galbi restaurant.

- Youngwoo, JS' friend comes to her place to meet her but he knows she's not at home. JS gives up and tells her the restaurant she does part-time at. He visits her at the end of her shift and says he's against her working at the restaurant because he's concerned about her hands, she has to play piano and whatnots, he tells her to look for a job at another hotel. She makes up a lot of reasons why she no longer wants to work at a hotel, including because she might meet other moms from her son's school who meet up for hotel brunch.

- The next day, JS gets called in to the hotel again because someone wants to see her. And guess who's there to see JS? None other than SK. SK wants to settle the (dress) issue straight away with JS and calculate things properly but JS says she needs another week to pay the dress back. SK talks about JH and some stuff about lingering feelings that I can't be sure of lol sorry. By the looks of it, SK knows the things that JS live for. Her cards are out in the open.

- JS is at home folding laundry and JH's investigation is on the television, she watches it all goes down including how the prosecutor mocks JH for his student activism he did in the past and if he's ashamed of it.

- Cue to the scene where JH notices he's being followed by a black car after the public investigation. The driver, JW says they've been followed for a few days. JH's car passes by the movie theatre JS sees earlier, it's currently showing "Days of Being Wild" starring Leslie Cheung. Out of the blue, JH asks the driver if he wants to see a movie today lol.

- JH and his driver/secretary go to the movie theatre and get a couple of seats at the back. Guess who's sitting on the front seat at the same "Days of Being Wild" screening? It's ya girl, JS.

- In the past, JS is at the movie theatre alone, watching "Days of Being Wild" etc.

- Going back to the present, JH and his driver walk out of the movie theatre after the movie ends and the driver excuses himself to get the car. JH gets a call from SK and she asks where he is but he says "You know where I'm at, you have someone following me." SK denies about the surveillance and JH says, "Ask your dad, then. He knows where I'm at."

- JH sees JS walk out of the theatre and he sends her a text from afar, "Hold on, I'm behind you." (maybe because JH knows he's being followed so he's being cautious. HOW DID HE GET JS' NUMBER THO? YALL CHAEBOLS ARE CRAZY.)

- JS looks back to see JH standing. They stand still at their current position and JH continues to text her from where he is. He mentions about the movie ending and quotes something from it about how there are people who keep meeting each other again no matter what.

- Cut to a scene of JS mopping the floor at the music academy again. Poor girl can't seem to catch a break until she sees a guitar. 

- Past JH and JS exchange beeper message codes and what they mean (to prevent each other from having to find a nearby phone to call) through chatroom. Then JH calls JS' phone (LMAOOO girl has a private landline in her room!!! She rich rich huh?) and JH plays her a song on his guitar. JS cries.

- In the club room, JS sits on JH's lap and teaches her how to play the song JH played earlier on the guitar.

- Present JS plays the same song on the guitar. She still remembers it :( and present JH listens to the same song on the stereo while reading a book in his library.

- Youngmin spends some time at his dad's place where he still lives with her mom. Sehun's mom interrogates what Youngmin's mom is up to and if JS is still alone. She really wants to make sure if JS hasn't met a new guy. While YM is asleep, sneaky SH finds the letter YM wrote for JS.

- JH and his driver/secretary goes to the mall where JH got his copy of "Love Letter" back then. The music store is still there. JH got himself a guitar.

- JS visits the home of a student who needs piano lessons. Turns out the student's older sister (Seri) goes to Youngmin's school and she knows their mom. Seri's younger sister is the one who needs piano lessons. Seri's mom says Seri is at Junseo's house and everyone was invited. JS just says that YM isn't that close to Junseo. The atmosphere between them kinda gets awkward.

- JH meets Dongjin for drinks but seems like he has something in plan that involves him while showing off the guitar he bought.

- After that, JH drives off to meet JS, he texts her that he's in front of her place. JS hurries to her closet and picks a decent top and a jacket. She checks herself one last time in the mirror. JS receives a call from SH but she decides to ignore it. Little did she know SH is in front of her house and Youngmin is crying in his room because SH already finds out about what happened at school.

- JS sees JH in front of her house. JH says he's here to give her something (a guitar) that he promised to buy her a long time ago but JS says she can't receive something like that. JH also says it's because he misses/wants to see her (I always can't translate the term correctly because they're the same haha). Anddd as we all know SH sees the two from his car and starts looking JH up on the internet. SH finds out JH has a wife and so he takes JH and JS's photos.

END

Ep. 6 TEXT PREVIEW

Jaehyun comes over to meet Jisoo while leaving the person who follows him. Sehun has been pressuring Jisoo not only because of Jaehyun but also because of their son, Youngmin's school problems. Meanwhile, Jaehyun, who is about to get arrested for account manipulation, shows a move that goes beyond everyone's expectations. In 1995, when Jaehyun's name was put on the wanted list, Jaehyun and Jisoo tell a painful lie to cover for each other.

--

Some personal thoughts:

At this point, I wish a miracle would happen to JS so that she can get rich overnight. I want her to be so free from her suffering and debts that she can lead a happy life with her son, with or without JH (my questionable moral compass still wants present day JH to end up with JS tho lol). 

@enchantedyears thanks for the additional information in your recap. I feel really bad for Young Min. I’m sure going through the divorce had an impact on him and now the aftermath is still grieving the kid. I think if he was more secure that he can stay with his mom, he would not be carrying this burden. His worries aren’t about his parents getting back together. His worries seem to be that he doesn’t want to be taken from his mom.

1 hour ago, enchantedyears said:

Ep. 5 Recap

:heart: Thank you so much!   Your recap is really good.  I hope you will keep doing this for more episodes. 

I love being spoiled because I can watch the episode feeling relaxed since I know what will happen.  If I don't know, then I end up worrying and I have to keep stopping in the middle to walk away from the screen to avoid getting upset.  Knowing ahead of time is the best.

42 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

@enchantedyears thanks for the additional information in your recap. I feel really bad for Young Min. I’m sure going through the divorce had an impact on him and now the aftermath is still grieving the kid. I think if he was more secure that he can stay with his mom, he would not be carrying this burden. His worries aren’t about his parents getting back together. His worries seem to be that he doesn’t want to be taken from his mom.

No problem! I will give credit to Youngmin for being a perceptive child. I'm sure at some point in his life he's seen how her mom got mistreated by his paternal grandmother. He really wants to see his mom happy and he knows it's not when his dad is around. Youngmin is also not relaxed when he's with his dad, he looks rather anxious and feels like he has to put up a front. I'm sure it wasn't only flu that made him faint before his dad picked him up, anxiety and stress contributed to it as well. I love that he wrote a letter to JS so that he can say everything he wants to say to her. It's a good start. Too bad, SH found the letter.

@thistle you're welcome! Glad you enjoyed it. I managed to do this one because it airs on Saturday instead of weekdays. Hopefully I can do another one tomorrow. We'll see ;)  I love reading recaps too! That's why I was disappointed that no blogger seems to be doing a (live) recap. But then I thought to myself, "Why not do a recap now that I understand enough Korean?" :lol:

2 minutes ago, enchantedyears said:

No problem! I will give credit to Youngmin for being a perceptive child. I'm sure at some point in his life he's seen how her mom got mistreated by his paternal grandmother. He really wants to see his mom happy and he knows it's not when his dad is around. Youngmin is also not relaxed when he's with his dad, he looks rather anxious and feels like he has to put up a front. I'm sure it wasn't only flu that made him faint before his dad picked him up, anxiety and stress contributed to it as well. I love that he wrote a letter to JS so that he can say everything he wants to say to her. It's a good start. Too bad, SH found the letter.

I think that is very likely the case. I noticed it when he was looking at his grade results. I think he slipped to #11 ranking when, if I understand it correctly, he’s usually #1. He was worried about what his dad would say. That indicated he feels pressured to keep up his grades probably foremost for his father not to find fault and secondly for his scholarship. Then he’s also being harassed because the pages in his textbook were torn out. That’s a lot for a little kid to bear all on his own.

Archived