[Drama 2020] When My Love Blooms, 화양연화

0ly40

2 hours ago, celebrianna said:

@thistle, what I’d like to know is which characters were taking the moral high ground when committing adultery.

I'm not sure that I can answer your question appropriately, so I'll just go with what I've been thinking today about WMLB as I consider the facets of the drama that we watched.

I can't see any moral high ground here, actually.  Each of the characters has exhibited some form of incorrect (call it "sinful" perhaps?) behavior but all to a different degree. 

I suppose that if you had to tried to sort them according to degrees it would be something like this:

• JS tried to avoid JH (as she should since he was married) but she was the one to kiss him.
  • JH should never have been stalking JS but because she had essentially been his guiding light in the past, perhaps it was inevitable that he should see her out again when he had lost his way due to the temptation to give in to anger and retribution.  JH was so morally degraded that he actually failed to help a dying friend when he sneered at her for asking to borrow his dirty money.
  • SK might have managed to keep her husband (despite his fascination with JS) if she had been open, honest, fair, and faithful.  She was emotionally stunted and immature in her actions.
  • JS's Ex could not keep his wife nor could he convince her to return to him because of his faithlessness, his manipulative ways, and his emotional cruelty.

Perhaps we ought to put the bar-owner friend (sorry but I fail to recall his name) in the list as well because he betrayed both JS and JH in multiple ways:  he knew that he was in love with JS but he still tried to keep her close to him even knowing that she was committed to another (and this was something he did not just for a little while but for decades!) and he (in a move that would have suited Judas) turned JH in to the police so that he could get him away from JS.

All of this is, perhaps, beside the point for me because I watched this drama to be entertained.....and I was.

In the world today, too many people have succumbed to the penchant for judging the actions of others without examining their own actions beforehand.  As a society, we have come to enjoy feeling indignant.  We take a salacious pleasure in it. We believe that we stand on the moral high ground without looking to see that we ourselves are standing in a morass.  We must think before we act, otherwise we are just as guilty and just as morally out-of-control as those who have done wrong in the first place.  And I also believe that if we think something is wrong (as some posters do with the central story-line of this drama), then we should shake the dust off our shoes and go elsewhere.  Indeed, it is our duty to do so if we see these things as sinful.

How far are we to take this, though?  If we believe that adultery is wrong (and it is), should we question whether married actors (our two older leads are married to others in real life) should star in the role of lovers?  Should we shut down all entertainment that we feel impinges on our principles?

I don't think so.  The Creator endowed human beings with intelligence that we are meant to use.  We have to consider carefully.  We need to assess our own behavior and our choices carefully but we really have no right to stand in judgement of others--at least that is what the book of my faith tells me.

Yes, I was screaming just as loudly as anyone else for the evil characters in this drama to get the just deserts for their actions.  I'd say that means that I have a lot yet to learn.  And thank goodness for that because it means that I'm still growing. 

As I quoted earlier, "There is no justice; there is only mercy."  I think that the final episode showed this nicely as regards to JS's Ex--he found the desire to renew the goodness of his life through atonement in helping others.  This was something I wouldn't have imagined for him, and I found this choice of the drama writer praiseworthy.

.....editing to say that I was writing this post as @foreverempress was writing hers.  I sincerely apologize for any offense.  I truly meant none.  My concern was genuine.  I have refused to watch dramas before because I found them to be morally corrupt, and it is a question that concerns me.  Entertainment is a great temptation, and I believe that some things are better avoided if they distress us.

My minor in college was comparative religious philosophy.  The questions of morality are of great interest to me.  I asked you a question that I honestly was curious about.  I wonder often why we do what we do, and I like to understand other people so that I can learn.

Again, my apology.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tango27 said:

they also miss the message of the show ...about ppl may change and loose the idealism ( and delusions ) and beauty of early youth and that life could break them but those moments we should keep alive so we can get them back... I felt like i needed to give younger me a needed hug

I have a lot to say... but the birthday scene was the most moving part of the last two episodes...i cried in buckets ....and the dream where she finally sees them and let go ...sorry to hear about your story .......

in the same vein ....JHs scene with the old man and how he thanks the man who stabbed him for allowing him to let go of his word in his heart 

its obvious the writer writes better lines than story ... some of the lines resemble poetry 

@ponderings  thanks for the nice screen caps. Just adding my three cents.

The Theme of Love that has no expire date was great,  but the message of friendship was even greater. It was an inspiring display of heartwarming friendship, so deeply rooted that even  Seok Hyung couldn't comprehend. It wore her down and finally made her give Ji Soo 

(in surrender) that healthy dose of respect. What an enviable friendship they have. Just the kind of people you'd love to grow old with. Ji Soo's bosom buddy, she's heaven sent; Dong Jin and Sung Woo who are true loyal/reliable friends. They lend credence to the saying: "There are friends who will stick with you more than a brother/sister."   

On younger viewers preference:  I'd hazard a guess that it could be about the atmosphere in the early years because it's storyline has a happier vibe to it. Perhaps it is about youthful exuberance of being young, restless and impulsive. They had more fun and laughter at school and do community stuff together. Younger viewers would find it easier to relate with them than with the heavier emotional scenes by the older cast. Of course the young cast are all cute and adorable. I won't blame the cute young Dong Jin if he is not happy with the matured DJ. Something terrible must have happened in the 25 years aging process.  :huh:  

It was also easy to see viewers wearing down on the heavy melo by LBY although I thought YJT made an excellent portrayal of turning them into cheerful and hopeful moments when he gets on scene, like a breath of fresh air.  He constantly wears that smile (with her), revealing his bright/sunny outlook and funny disposition. Even his exchanges with Mr Kang, his driver were funny on occasions. BTW, Jin Young had a great subdued little smile as well, especially when he delivers that line... "There you are, Yoon Ji Soo",  and I was glad it was said again in the closing scene...a heart melting moment for me. Just love every syllable of that phrase. And off course, I love LBY in all her dramas that I have seen. So glad she took this role even if it was half-shared with Jeon So Nee.

Caught between the insanity of enduring a quarantine and the fear of catching a deadly invisible virus, this romantic drama filled my days, and made my 16 weeks of fellowship with it worthwhile. It was time well spent.

To the PD and Writer:  It was a great show, like a masterpiece with a story that transcends time, space and generation...from the Pager to a Foldable phone, Cassette Tape to a Digital device. Excellent script with funny, witty, concise lines that are like poetry as  @Tango27  said.

Presentation and the music was an Artwork, were scenes are captured in sight and sound encapsulated into a sliding postcard in living color. I like the story line too with so much attention to details, even incorporating a sense of history (activism) and realism (mall collapse). Looking forward to their next work.

As to the buckets of tears.. if an intense scene or moment (which are many), or a screenfreeze does not get you, the music will.   :)

25 minutes ago, thistle said:

Yes, I was screaming just as loudly as anyone else for the evil characters in this drama to get the just deserts for their actions.  I'd say that means that I have a lot yet to learn.  And thank goodness for that because it means that I'm still growing. 

As I quoted earlier, "There is no justice; there is only mercy."  I think that the final episode showed this nicely as regards to JS's Ex--he found the desire to renew the goodness of his life through atonement in helping others.  This was something I wouldn't have imagined for him, and I found this choice of the drama writer praiseworthy.

I confess I grapple with this matter all the time. I always want to see characters who behaved badly or downright evil punished in the end. I’m glad the chairman went to jail and I did want the obsessed ex punished, but in the end he was shown mercy. However, I must point out that there is a valuable lesson in forgiveness but consequences. In other words, people can be forgiven but that doesn’t say that they shouldn’t face the consequences of their actions. Fortunately for the ex he didn’t actually try to kill or stab JH himself. In that case he would have still had to face the legal consequences even if JH had forgiven him. 

6 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

However, I must point out that there is a valuable lesson in forgiveness but consequences. In other words, people can be forgiven but that doesn’t say that they shouldn’t face the consequences of their actions.

This is a very good point.  Forgiveness and consequences/punishment are not aligned, although it is tempting to see them that way.

Forgiveness is not an easy thing.  And forgiveness is indeed a mystery:  We forgive to relieve ourselves of an intolerable burden of hatred or anger.  We are not actually to saying that it is acceptable that the forgiven person has done wrong but that we are letting go of our umbrage against him.  

The forgiveness of JS's Ex works well dramatically and thematically because we actually see him taking action toward his own redemption.  In this, we see hope.  

2 hours ago, foreverempress said:

I liked the drama, but NOT under any circumstances support anyone that commits adultery and think that they still have the moral high ground. Revenge may temporarily quench thirst, but wrong is wrong, no matter who commits and no matter how much chemistry is displayed.

In Korea, it is only considered adultery if there is clear proof of cohabitation. Like pictures with genitals clearly shown or caught in a sex act. That was stated by a cop in a scene at the police station in another drama I watched last month the title of which escapes me right now. 

And I think the writer was careful and sensitive to the issue of adultery in this drama as there were hardly any scenes of lasciviousness. If the kiss at the beach is considered flirty and qualifies as an  adulterous act, then you have a case.

@thistle, exactly! I’m one of those viewers who don’t necessarily like it when all the bad characters are redeemed in the last episode because it’s sort of unrealistic. However, in the case of this show, I think the ex’s redemption was shown well. He seemed actually afraid of the consequences of his involvement in aiding and abetting. I sensed his shame and relief when he was released from the investigation. His redemption felt real because I think he was shook by the predicament he was in and when he was shown mercy when he most needed it, it seemed to lead to true repentance, which is a change of mind. I don’t expect him at all to go back to his prior schemes or way of thinking because he understood what he did wrong and he’s thinking differently now.

15 minutes ago, Kitty_Litter said:

In Korea, it is only considered adultery if there is clear proof of cohabitation. Like pictures with genitals clearly shown or caught in a sex act. That was stated by a cop in a scene at the police station in another drama I watched last month the title of which escapes me right now. 

And I think the writer was careful and sensitive to the issue of adultery in this drama as there were hardly any scenes of lasciviousness. If the kiss at the beach is considered flirty and qualifies as an  adulterous act, then you have a case.

That may be a fair assessment though adultery in Korea is no longer criminalized. All parties involved equally had their on motivations that were equally heart breaking, tragic, selfish, understanding, etc. Everyone was fighting for what they thought was right in their own hearts  and which often leads to disastrous consequences if it is done out of fear.

16 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

@thistle, exactly! I’m one of those viewers who don’t necessarily like it when all the bad characters are redeemed in the last episode because it’s sort of unrealistic. However, in the case of this show, I think the ex’s redemption was shown well. He seemed actually afraid of the consequences of his involvement in aiding and abetting. I sensed his shame and relief when he was released from the investigation. His redemption felt real because I think he was shook by the predicament he was in and when he was shown mercy when he most needed it, it seemed to lead to true repentance, which is a change of mind. I don’t expect him at all to go back to his prior schemes or way of thinking because he understood what he did wrong and he’s thinking differently now.

The actor did a masterful job of displaying the emotions of the character.  That really made it feel real for me.  It's a tough thing for an actor to do--just using his eyes and his expressions.  When I watched the episode raw, I skipped through a lot of stuff but I stopped cold when I saw the scene of the Ex talking to the policeman in the interview room.  It was incredibly evocative.  I do not understand Korean but I knew what was going on just by watching the actor's face.  He had little to do but listen to the policeman but the way he listened spoke volumes.  It was excellent acting.

Guys . Pls calm down . Drama is over . I don’t need another one on this thread. Stop using large fonts and stuff to get your point across. Discuss amicably please . I have read all of you across many different threads . I am sure we are all capable of being civil even if the opinions don’t agree with ours . 

13 minutes ago, thistle said:

The actor did a masterful job of displaying the emotions of the character.  That really made it feel real for me.  It's a tough thing for an actor to do--just using his eyes and his expressions.  When I watched the episode raw, I skipped through a lot of stuff but I stopped cold when I saw the scene of the Ex talking to the policeman in the interview room.  It was incredibly evocative.  I do not understand Korean but I knew what was going on just by watching the actor's face.  He had little to do but listen to the policeman but the way he listened spoke volumes.  It was excellent acting.

That is very true. I have yet to watch the episode subbed (it’s at 1% on Viki) and I knew pretty much what happened. His expressions, demeanor and eyes conveyed all that I needed to know. And back to your other point, about the capacity to forgive, I too think it’s a remarkable thing. I almost felt ashamed of myself for being upset that he got off but then I felt compassion for him when I saw that he truly repented. The funny thing is I always catch myself in this situation and I’m forced to admit that forgiveness has to come first and it often leads to a change in the person that is forgiven. And I agree, it was superb acting by the actor who plays the ex. 

Regarding chaebol wife, I knew things would pretty much stay the same with her, in that there would be no other consequences to her harassment and business practices. I was okay with that since I had no expectations of that. At least she seems to be living well with her son. I’m still waiting for subs to find out how long the chairman will stay in prison. Hopefully an adequate length of time for the lives he plotted against and ruined.

1 hour ago, foreverempress said:

That may be a fair assessment though adultery in Korea is no longer criminalized. All parties involved equally had their on motivations that were equally heart breaking, tragic, selfish, understanding, etc. Everyone was fighting for what they thought was right in their own hearts  and which often leads to disastrous consequences if it is done out of fear.

Adultery is one hard case to prove because in most laws (in any countries, except Islamic) where they are enforced, the laws were written to favor the adulterer. The proof must be clear and convincing against every John Doe. 

In the Drama, Ji Soo was well aware she was treading a thin line when she was found by Jae Hyun. She attempted to escape but failed; and refused any offer of assistance like riding with him back to Seoul...in ep 2 or 3.  Refuse help when she was limping home and took his slippers instead....also the umbrella, bike, guitar... and other ruse JH was trying to pull in the most unobtrusive manner. JH also knew the implications and complications of his and  her situation, why Jae Hyun was careful and remained patient or she'd disappear like a mist again.

Under stress and under pressure from the Chairman, Seok Hyung, the ex hubby.... Ji Soo finally relented and announced to Young Min and Sung Woo... she will reunite with her ex-hubby  for the sake of Young Min. Jae Hyun got wind of the plan and talked her out it. 

Episode 8 was the culmination of Ji Soo's attempt to evade. In a meeting with Seok Kyung who ask her to meet for a confrontation because by now... Jae Hyun had asked to divorce. This made her turn around and cancel reunion with the wicked ex hubby (who has now grown horns).  Episode 9 was Jae Hyun confession to go back to Ji Soo. It was all 8 episodes of pursuit for Jae Hyun which by now, the divorce process was already in the offing. Like every courtship...the thrill is in the chase, so they say....unless it is arrangeed like in many dramas.

So, it may look like adultery....but it is not adultery.

BTW..this was my favorite episodes in the drama...eps 7, 8, 9. 

Sorry for the long and winding post.  :)

On 6/10/2020 at 10:17 PM, Kitty_Litter said:

I find it so romantic when they meet or walk aimlessly to nowhere, chatting, smiling, sharing laughter like the old days.  But notice the gap between them, as they walk. They were much closer almost touching side by side, when they were younger.  Perhaps, in deference to moral norms, this very gentle, cheery and confident loving man is always respectful and  protective of his true love even in the public eye.  So chivalrous like a knight in shining armor.

Always brimming with love, joy, peace and confidence, there moments together, or when they are alone pondering/thinking about each other is so endearing, heartfelt and priceless.

Very well put.  I totally agree with you. I talked about their restraint with the person whom recommended this drama to me.  I understand the writer's point of view, HJH is not officially divorced yet; therefore, as to not taint their love, they have not engaged in any scandalous behavior.  It makes me route for them more, because their love is so sweet, pure and mature.

didnt participate much in this thread due to the fact the subs took foreeeevvvvvveeeeeerrrrrrrrrr  to upload.  

But was happy to see the end both pulled through for their love for each other.  :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

I am dropping by in this thread. Every time I think about the Black Lives Matter protests and the movement, I think about JiSoo who always rooted for the losing side which is usually the ones who suffer the most. The Black community in USA are the most oppressed group and my heart saddens to learn about the years of oppression. I think about JiSoo whenever I am falling apart. I find the confidence in JiSoo's character and I remind myself I must stand back up, be confident about my own beliefs, stand in solidarity with the Black community and take steps to fight against the racism. 

Oh I am glad I watched When My Love Blooms and found confidence through JiSoo's character. :heart4: 

Archived