[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

10 hours ago, Umjicheok said:

@vangsweetie637 Lee lim is half brother in a sense, he is born to concubine . That's what he said to his elder brother prince Buyeong before killing him. He also said he came to collect that ring but instead he put it on prince Buyeong's finger and left:sweatingbullets:

Also can anyone help in clarifying/give their thoughts :

1. why prince Buyeong was not the inital king since he is the eldest brother bcoz Lee Gon's father called Lee lim 'hyungnim' and Lee lim called prince Buyeong ' hyungnim' that means he is the oldest among them and he also has complete noble blood (?) 

2. when Lee gon enters into his room while sin jae - jo yeong are fighting we see him in all black. I wonder what he was doing? :sweatingbullets: 

3. The mother who was celebrating her son's birthday ( who has paralysis) , since Lee lim helped her  ( in his own twisted way) he would have taken her help right? Were we shown what was that help? Or her dopplegangler? 

Ok I think I should stop looking into details it's hurting my head :joy:

Anytime I am watching scenes which are not LTE , I am just over-analyzing everyone facial features including kids:joy:

exactly. That’s why I am left with the impression that he wants more than just to be a King. He wants everything even being immortal like a God. And he wouldn’t be able to be King anymore because he is already dead and a traitor.

to answer ur qns:

1. LG is the heir which means if the King dies, the heir is next in line. If the heir has no heirs then that’s when Prince Buyong will be next. This is why LG tells him if anything happens to him, Prince Buyong is the next one and to take very good care of himself. I really love the relationship between the Prince and LG. That’s why I cried during the funeral scene :bawling:

2. This I am not sure either. Perhaps we will get a flashback.

3. Hm, in this world of doppelgängers roaming, I hope I am remembering the right one. You mean the one where LR paralyzed the three kids that were teasing her son? If I recall, I haven’t seen the end result of this exchange except that he deliver what he said he would. This puts the woman at her own debt with him so in the future, he will most likely collect (unless I am wrong and he already did lol).

haha, it is really easy to miss all the details. Even I rewatched it and i feel like I didn’t catch everything. That’s why we are all here :D oh yes, we cannot underestimate the kids in this drama. They do play a role ;)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, rocher22 said:

I was expecting the first encounter between ES and SA.

But, that isn't shown. Strange.

:wub:

Reveal hidden contents

Same. I mentioned in the LTE ship thread that I'm surprised MSA haven't noticed JY's changes given she's such a huge fangirl. She be slacking. :sweatingbullets:

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote IGs! Thanks!
  • Like 1
  • LOL 12

51 minutes ago, Alice Wonderland said:

The scene which refers to this starts at 01.11.47 in ep 8. Where SJ visits JH's memorial place and in the same time Song Jeong Hye is there as well. He came before her and left while she gets up after putting down her flowers. She saw him leaving and her car follows him up to the police office front gate. SJ didn't know JH as child. He came there because he wants to confirm the late JH is the same kid who he saw on the tv in MOC. Since JH died very early and assumed that no one knows him much. So it give the conclusion to her that he is not someone who just an acquaintance with JH or her in the past. The fact that he walks in to the police office makes her realized that sooner or later the secret (the murder of her family and LR) are smelly to him to investigate more. 

Then she said "That man came by, looking for JH. I guess we'll finally get busted" (In Korean she said, I translated literally to it's finally they got our tail, which could be translated "to be caught"  or "get busted") why she said that? Because she knows they'll get caught soon. JH past death will finally lead them to her and LR. Then it'll be no time for more people found out about the parallel world too. 

Again, doesn't make sense.  It's not consistent with her subsequent statements about wanting to kill herself, and her temperament in a previous episode when LR came to see her.  If anything, she wants to escape the situation she is in now.

I think what she meant here is that how poor JH's mom in the past even she gave her some of her son's old clothes and to hear that her condition is 180' from that, that ahjumma on the phone call told SJ's mom that she saw her with such expensive clothes and looking rich. Imo it doesn't mean to emphasize to something of JH might be still alive but it is more to emphasize how different JH's mom recent life compared to her past life, from being very poor to be a chaebol lady. 

And why do they need to have a separate conversation about this point, when we the viewers already know that she was poor before and suddenly became looking rich?

You disagree with my theories, I get it.  But yours are just theories as well, your own interpretation.  Let's just wait for the episodes to unfold to see which among us got it right :)

1 hour ago, Umjicheok said:

Also can anyone help in clarifying/give their thoughts :

1. why prince Buyeong was not the inital king since he is the eldest brother bcoz Lee Gon's father called Lee lim 'hyungnim' and Lee lim called prince Buyeong ' hyungnim' that means he is the oldest among them and he also has complete noble blood (?) 

#1:  My understanding is that Buyeong is the son of the younger brother of the father of Lee Ho (previous king)?  So Buyeong is not in the direct line of succession.  It goes Lee Ho's father --->  Lee Ho -----> Lee Gon 

Since Lee Gon has no heir, Buyeong is next in line.  

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks!
  • Like 7
  • Unamused 1
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, Alice Wonderland said:

The scene which refers to this starts at 01.11.47 in ep 8. Where SJ visits JH's memorial place and in the same time Song Jeong Hye is there as well. He came before her and left while she gets up after putting down her flowers. She saw him leaving and her car follows him up to the police office front gate. SJ didn't know JH as child. He came there because he wants to confirm the late JH is the same kid who he saw on the tv in MOC. Since JH died very early and assumed that no one knows him much. So it give the conclusion to her that he is not someone who just an acquaintance with JH or her in the past. The fact that he walks in to the police office makes her realized that sooner or later the secret (the murder of her family and LR) are smelly to him to investigate more. 

Then she said "That man came by, looking for JH. I guess we'll finally get busted" (In Korean she said, I translated literally to it's finally they got our tail, which could be translated "to be caught"  or "get busted") why she said that? Because she knows they'll get caught soon. JH past death will finally lead them to her and LR. Then it'll be no time for more people found out about the parallel world too. 

I think what she meant here is that how poor JH's mom in the past even she gave her some of her son's old clothes and to hear that her condition is 180' from that, that ahjumma on the phone call told SJ's mom that she saw her with such expensive clothes and looking rich. Imo it doesn't mean to emphasize to something of JH might be still alive but it is more to emphasize how different JH's mom recent life compared to her past life, from being very poor to be a chaebol lady. 

@JC's Lingxi no problem even you're late. It's better late than never right. Hahaha. I like him but not all of his drama be my faves. So far it's always BoF even many others criticize it for being this and that or it's too this and that. But I really love it better than the whole HYD adaptation are ever made. It's hard for me to get over his GJP's role over the years. Lol. And then bang TKEM pops out, and that old feeling comes back if you know what I mean. :lol:

Oh thanks so much for explaining the telephone conversations!

I’m sure some of the dialogue is lost in translation for us non-Korean speakers.

The scene in the car also shows LH’s mom with what looks like scars on her wrists? She said she can’t die, even if she does die, that they (LL?) will bring her back to life again? Is this a hint to something? Or is the translation off here too?

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, gwin said:

Again, doesn't make sense.  It's not consistent with her subsequent statements about wanting to kill herself, and her temperament in a previous episode when LR came to see her.  If anything, she wants to escape the situation she is in now.

She wants to kill herself probably because of her guilt toward her son and family. She choose to keep silent and chose to live her life as now. Her temperament was like that was a result of her desperate and hatred toward herself and LR. She's getting old and miserable while he stays the same. May I say this as her "jealousy" :lol:

She might try to escape the situation she's in but LR is always has his way to comtrol her. Nor sure why he keep her but he might use her to confront LG later. 

16 minutes ago, gwin said:

And why do they need to have a separate conversation about this point, when we the viewers already know that she was poor before and suddenly became looking rich?

Hmm... yes that's the reason. We know but SJ's mom didn't know about SJH present life and condition. That's how that phone caller told her. 

18 minutes ago, gwin said:

You disagree with my theories, I get it.  But yours are just theories as well, your own interpretation.  Let's just wait for the episodes to unfold to see which among us got it right :)

I'm sorry I have to disagree with it. As long as it never proves in the actual episodes then it is, as you said it's still a speculation. I might be proved totally wrong either. But never mind, it's fun to see how it really turns out later. And It's interesting to read different theories of yours. :)

• Like 10

Dear @bebebisous33,

Just wanted to thank you. Interesting take and very plausible theories. Switching of luna and JTE by whom + why will be critical.

I am just praying that they wrap the story well. 7 hours of storytelling -- things are possible and i want them to deliver. :)

#fightingKing

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, Kdramatic said:

The scene in the car also shows LH’s mom with what looks like scars on her wrists? She said she can’t die, even if she does die, that they (LL?) will bring her back to life again? Is this a hint to something? Or is the translation off here too?

As my interpretation to this, what she meant here is she has tried to kill herself many times as those scars on her wrist might be the wound of her cutting her vein. But they bring her to life again. This lines implies that they must have taken any means of medical treatment to cure her. You know cutting veins as I read in some other sites is not always killing a person right away. She might lose some blood because of the vein is cut off, but if they quickly rush her to get a treatment she can be saved in time. So is this hint to something? Yes, it hinted to her suicidal attempts. But does this also hint to something else, well, we might watch next episodes to find out more. :D

28 minutes ago, Kdramatic said:

Oh thanks so much for explaining the telephone conversations!

You're welcome. 

29 minutes ago, Kdramatic said:

I’m sure some of the dialogue is lost in translation for us non-Korean speakers

I just acquired some Korean vocabs so it helps me a bit when I often hears it in their conversation. 

~~~~ 

Oh.. it's so late here. I'm going to bed. So see you all. Time freeeze!!!! :lol: 1.228283838919164393991927...... :P

• Like 6
  • LOL 6

Episode 9&10 is so great! This is it! The turning point!

I don't have much time to back read so pardon me if I repeated a same comment.

~ the yoyo boy, is he some kind of a world balance keeper? Or just a keeper of that loop?

~ PM Koo, is she gonna play villain now?

~ when LL appeared to P.Buyeong, I was like "uh-oh!"

~  that sudden appearance and kiss... KGE's cry gets me. And this is the first time I watched her.

EYJkMHQUcAIbA8C.jpg:small

And why did I just know this cutie pie? :D

EYLzqx0X0AAPKyi.jpg:small

• Like 14

I have a question, why is JY investigating SJ’s mom in episode 10? 

I’ve watched it again and again but I couldn’t find a beautiful answer. Unless we haven’t seen the reason why yet and will be shown a flashback in the next episode? 

Several of you have pointed out that learning about SJ’s connection to JH means it’s possible JH is alive and I can see where that theory comes from. As far as we know, the real SJ died. So perhaps the deal SJ’s mother made with LR is to bring hyungnim in exchange for SJ’s body to pose as JH. But, this idea is way too complicated for the remaining 6 episodes. If writer Kim decides to throw in JH, I’ll sit back and enjoy two lmh on my screen and turn my brain off for the rest of the show. I’ll consider the king an enjoyable mess :lol:. Unless she is really really good and is able to pull it off. But at this point, I would rather she just focus on what she’s already presented. We still need to take down LR, address the opening scenes, the scene in 2022, whatever happened at the end of episode 10 and can’t forget, a passionate bed scene :lol: I think we have enough on our plate. I’m beginning to worry 6 episodes is not enough time to tie all loose ends. But I’m going to have faith in the writer. She hasn’t disappoint me this far. Or if she wants, she can forget the story and just shower the entire 6 episodes with LeeEul moments. As a MinEun shipper, I’m not going to complain :lol::lol::lol:

Jokes aside, she better give us a beautiful solution with no loose ends! Lol. 

• Like 9
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2

They have Episode 1 - 9. Could not find episode 10 yet. You might find this interesting. Caucasian American fans 

12 hours ago, Kris Silva said:

Yes, it was on Netflix US Popular List last weekend....

How did you manage to get the Netflix picture on Soompi?  I tried but could not do it. Show me your trick. I have it saved as a jpeg. 

I keep seeing Hi Mama, Kingdom and extracurricular every time under popular but never  King. Under trending I see CLOY, Hospital list, Rugal, Suits, Heirs, chocolate, Kingdom every time  I check . I see kingdom on both popular and trending. Vagabond has dropped off but I have never seen king even once. I don't check every day though but after the show which is weekend but no luck.

12 hours ago, Kris Silva said:

Yes, it was on Netflix US Popular List last weekend.... 

How did you manage to get the Netflix picture on Soompi?  I tried but could not do it. Show me your trick. I have it saved as a jpeg. 

I keep seeing Hi Mama, Kingdom and extracurricular every time under popular but never  King. Under trending I see CLOY, Hospital list, Rugal, Suits, Heirs, chocolate, Kingdom every time  I check . I see kingdom on both popular and trending. Vagabond has dropped off but I have never seen king even once. I don't check every day though but after the show which is weekend but no luck.

@Kris Silva

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks!
  • Like 7
  • Awesome 2

I just watched eps 9 and 10. 
My thoughts about them:
1) The PPL is really getting on my nerves
2) The two eps were particularly well acted by LMH and KGE
3) The final scene was heart-wrenching
4) The preview was... :bawling::scream:  (and it wasn't the regular mix of scenes and dialogues)

If you're curious about why I haven't watched the episodes as soon as they came out, I have a good reason for that: I spent the weekend as a guest of one of my boyfriend's clients, the owner of an incredible, enormous castle dating back to the 12th century, packed-full of treasures (18th century furniture, a collection of grand pianos, antique silverware, Venetian chandeliers, tapestries, paintings, etc) and surrounded by an huge private estate with a breathtaking view on Florence and the Tuscan hills. :heart:  I felt like a queen for a couple of days...

Dear Tae Eul, are you sure you don't want to live your fairytale to the fullest?  Marrying a king comes with great perks, girl... :smirk:

• Like 3
  • LOL 6
  • Awesome 4

1 hour ago, Dramafreak said:

Dear @bebebisous33,

Just wanted to thank you. Interesting take and very plausible theories. Switching of luna and JTE by whom + why will be critical.

I am just praying that they wrap the story well. 7 hours of storytelling -- things are possible and i want them to deliver. :)

#fightingKing

Thanks a lot... :):wub:

The thing is that the opening scene seems to be the ending of the story in my opinion that's why I don't think that JTE is meant to die. Lee Gon believes that JTE belongs to ROK, because he met her there, but what if it was not the case?

By closing the gate, SJ is forced to return to MOC and it would be the same for JTE, if she came from MOC in reality.

Furthermore, if Luna belongs to ROK, this means that her real name should be JTE, and it would be the reverse for JTE. She would become Luna.

Then we have this in the prayer:The sun and the moon are formed. It could be a reference of Lee Gon (the sun) and JTE (the moon). When they both meet, then they can defeat the evil coming from the mountains and the streams. Notice that Lee Rim used the gate that is underground... Another allusion to the mountain.

• Like 10
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 5

18 hours ago, Orientalfan said:

I realised that JTE was wearing a different kind of earing during the last kiss...it's the first time i see her wearing it. Is it a clue?

At this point just about everything in this show is a clue. There have been so many that I keep backtracking to see what else I have missed. I'm studying this show like I am preparing for a final exam. And as for Americans and what we watch, well it's mostly trash, I for one mostly watch C dramas, K dramas, and guilty pleasure Thai lakorns.  I like story lines, love stories and dramas that have a beginning middle and end something that is missing from US shows. But that's just me.

• Like 7
  • LOL 3

41 minutes ago, CallieP said:

@Heretorant@Kris Silva So you did capture the king under popular but then it is only there for 2 days, Cloy, Hospital list, Heirs is trending all the time. Hi Mama, Kingdom , extra curricular is there for days. King disappears after a day or two? Strange. @vangsweetie637sees what I saw. Netflix Original.

I have seen under trending and popular. Is because when you already have it under watchlist or watching it dosent show in other sections and genres but in your watch area

• Like 5

4 hours ago, zee0123 said:

I think the yoyo boy that is actually a girl might be LG And JTE future child.. :D

Friday come on hurry up!!!! :lol:

Hahhaha. This is certainly a new theory that i havent seen around here but i welcome it Even tho i dont agree with it necessarily. 

It would be interesting to see what Lee gon and Tae Eul are up to in the far distent future. Will some of their kids do some hectic time travel to intercept other plans or will they even end up. I am fearing a sad ending. 

Aside from that friday couldnt come any sooner

• Like 5
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2