[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

All for this new drama, I've never watched an on-going drama on the dot, to the point of waiting for the time that Netflix will make it available in my timezone. This drama is beautiful - from the acting, the chemistry, the scenery, the set design, the cinematography and the KES story! 

Can't wait for Friday to come already! :heart:

• Like 5
  • Love 4

Wow. I'm amazed with lots of math theories and discussion involved here. That's awesome! You're all amazing! I'm not a science person and I used to be scardy cats in every my math class back then. Lol

But after some years graduated from high school I realized how math is such an amazing subject that I shouldn't have avoided. So whenever there's a show show off some math wonders in any form I'd be so delighted to tune in. And to the recent post shared by @lofeval I really agreed that math can be much way of showing romanticism. It reminds me of some short episodes of drama special I've watched some years back. How the love travels and express through math. That's so cute. In that drama the male or female lead I'm vaguely remembered is not a math person so he/she needs pretty long time to figure it out the answer of the question. It's different to this King story but they both include math as their base logic and love life. 

• Like 9
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, nikki7 said:

I find the poem recited by Lee Gon/Head Lady to be really sad. It's kind of hinting of a tragic ending... 

The girls over bitchesoverdramas does a great job dissecting the poem for us non literature major.

They also  have some theories on the yoyo boy, Luna & reason why the drama is called "The King : Eternal Monarch".

Thank you for this link. That is such a cruel but fascinating prediction using the poem read at end of Episode 3. The OST released thus far are indeed quite tragic. 

Watching TKEM I'm  learning all these mathematical stuff such as Euler's number ( which is an actual thing)and MSD and now the interpretation of this poem is like learning literature. :grin:

Why bother paying exorbitant tuition fees and go into debt when dramas teach you so much and one even gets to swoon while at it:blush:

• Like 2
  • LOL 12

I didnt get the mentality of people who says that they dont understand this drama. Don't they watch any hit series like money heist, dark etc. Bcz they are pretty famous nowdays and endgame also. The most viewers nowdays go for sci-fi, thriller, suspense drama not for like romantic, family affair stories. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2

Drama is already smashing overseas

But even domestically  we can't  predict its success  by ratings alone. I am not making any excuses here.

But it is number one on paid platform which is biggest streaming site in korea as well as netflix korea . 56% surge on number one platform. It is smashing in kor3a but other way around.  I wish they could tell the people about it's success. 

Many other blockbusters air on tv alone.

We have to understand most youth will prefer  streaming sites whenever they want to watch it. I rarely see tv now because i prefer to watch when i am in mood.

Channel must have made money when they sold it to such sites.  I wish it was uploaded after it's original run. But for a grand project worth 32 billion won (over 25 million usd nearly ). They sold it for recovery of budget sacrificing the ratings.

Though still i hope it stays in double digit, so people can shut their crap before seeing the whole picture.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Deepakmahajan said:

Drama is already smashing overseas

But even domestically  we can't  predict its success  by ratings alone. I am not making any excuses here.

But it is number one on paid platform which is biggest streaming site in korea as well as netflix korea .

Many other blockbusters air on tv alone.

We have to understand most youth will prefer  streaming sites whenever they want to watch it. I rarely see tv now because i prefer to watch when i am in mood.

Channel must have made money when they sold it to such sites.  I wish it was uploaded after it's original run. But for a grand project worth 32 billion won (over 25 million usd nearly ). They sold it for recovery of budget sacrificing the ratings.

Though still i hope it stays in double digit, so people can shut their crap before seeing the whole picture.

Yes i agree with you. We foreign viewers didnt look up to the drama rating or its performance in  the  tv. We only look for the quality of the drama. Its a pity people are criticizing for its rating. 

• Like 9

What’s more mind boggling to me than the drama itself is how anyone can describe this drama as flat. Meanwhile, we are on here actively discussing the hundreds of theories, literature, quantum mechanics and meaning of numbers. You know, I’ve concluded, maybe we’re just smarties here and it takes minds like ours to appreciate such a story :lol:

Anyway, food for thought: if “Guardian: The Lonely and Great God” ended with Kim Shin living forever and alone while he waits for Eun Tak, how will an Eternal Monarch end? 

Writer Kim can’t possibly be recycling her endings though. I’m just wondering why the extended title. Did she really need to add the “Eternal Monarch” part? How significant is it to the story? Hmmm...

@packmule3 I enjoyed reading your analysis so much! Beautifully written. 

• Like 16

Is JTE pointing gun at Lee Gon in preview? I wonder why? 

57 minutes ago, Aleenaaa said:

Read on twitter that official ship name of LG and JTE is 이을 - Lee Eul!

That's too many e together Leeeul :P but it's cute

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

25 minutes ago, Aleenaaa said:

Read on twitter that official ship name of LG and JTE is 이을 - Lee Eul!

I was going for LTE.

You know the 4G mobile communication standard since LG + JTE.

All the math and science.

So why not mobile communication now? :joy:

@Ameera Ali Suddenly zero is my favourite number too! LOL

So are we guessing zero proximity in episode 5? Hahahahaha

@serendipity... Nah.. you are not the only one.

I'm on episode 3 already.

At this rate, I might watch episode 1 to 4 every day till Friday. 

Then from Sunday onwards... episode 1 to 6 and on and on and on.. lol.

Gosh... 

• Like 4
  • LOL 14
  • Awesome 2

16 minutes ago, Jaja said:

That's too many e together Leeeul :P but it's cute

Hahaha! IKR:lol: Write it as LeeEul, it will look less chaotic:) 

Now waiting for the romance of LeeEul couple:yum:

@mrsj3n You are on point. LTE is perfect:joy: Come on, it constitutes all the elements of the drama in the most simplest form ever. I'm gonna ditch the official one and go for this:glasses::joy:

• Like 2
  • LOL 6

The background history for Jo Yeong from SBS show site tells us more about him.

1) His name, "Yeong" takes the Hanja for Shadow.

2) His family have produced generations of military legends. He is the eldest grandchild of such a household. It was always his destiny to be the Emperor's shadow. 
3) Yeong and Gon have a 4 year gap, when they first met (the day of the royal funeral, when Gon ascended the throne, Yeong was 4, Gon was 8)

4) Young Yeong made Gon laugh for the first time since his father's death (This scene was shown in the drama).

5) Then character description then said that since that day, Gon would laugh only in front of Yeong, and would cry only in front of Yeong. Since that day, Yeong's wish was for his Emperor to not feel lonely.

So I think we see that Gon has really relied on Yeong for 25 years. Yeong is his first guard, best friend, and chosen family. Yeong was born into a family that served the Emperors for generations. Likely from birth has been taught that it is his duty and destiny to fulfill that role. Yeong  also knows that he is one of the few people who truly has Gon's trust. I think a lot of the bromance-y feels we get is because Yeong likely has only looked at Gon since he was 4 years old. He hasn't ever considered himself as an individual, but his identity is very much attached to being Gon's protector. It'll be interesting to see his character growth.

Regarding ShinJae... I'm pretty sure the nightmare he sees are due to some connection with the parallel worlds. Thats why he knows the Imperial Corea seal... and he tells Lee Gon that  he didnt see it at some fun place...

• Like 19
  • Insightful 1

Man our boy LMH is yet to have a decent onscreen dad. Most of his onscreen dads are either too mean to care, divorced or dead. Our boy is definitely harry potter lol

Btw I don't wanna sound pessimistic but I've a feeling that this drama will have a sad ending. Lee gon's sad eyes.... I just hope he doesn't die. Given a chance to choose a world, I hope the detective girl stays back with lee gon. Otherwise I'll work something out with doctor banner & doctor strange and teleport to be with lee gon *day dreaming* 

@KRISHNENDU M I too was confused with the whole parallel world transitions and still am sometimes :D  So I don't think it's fair to blame the viewers for being confused. Simple muggles like me do exist :) 

Off topic, thank god russo brothers mentioned which planet the avengers were in each scene in Infinity War & Endgame. Otherwise I would have died with frustration wondering what was going on lol

@mrsj3n ditto!! Me too gonna end up repeating the 6 epis once this week ends. Jeez we've totally lost it :D 

• Like 2
  • LOL 6

1 hour ago, Aleenaaa said:

Hahaha! IKR:lol: Write it as LeeEul, it will look less chaotic:) 

Now waiting for the romance of LeeEul couple:yum:

@mrsj3n You are on point. LTE is perfect:joy: Come on, it constitutes all the elements of the drama in the most simplest form ever. I'm gonna ditch the official one and go for this:glasses::joy:

AAAAAH This is such a cute name! Surprisingly, I haven't seen any ship names for our couple yet. Maybe we should start it? haha  I am so excited for more LeeEul moments this coming Friday! Haven't been this excited for a drama before! 

33 minutes ago, Alice Wonderland said:

Oh.. this is fun :lol: I like LeeEul too. It's cute. But the LTE won my heart most! With the thought that their romance also moves with LTE speed. Lol. I'm also rooting for this nickname instead. LTE couple :wub:

HAHAHA! I love this analysis !! Their romance should speed up like LTE. I have a feeling that it will as the episodes progress! 

P.S. for all LeeEul Fans,

Started a thread for our LeeEul couple here!! --> Lee Min Ho x Kim Go Eun

• Like 6
  • LOL 2