[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

3 hours ago, Alice Wonderland said:

Wow. I'm amazed with lots of math theories and discussion involved here. That's awesome! You're all amazing! I'm not a science person and I used to be scardy cats in every my math class back then. Lol

But after some years graduated from high school I realized how math is such an amazing subject that I shouldn't have avoided. So whenever there's a show show off some math wonders in any form I'd be so delighted to tune in. And to the recent post shared by @lofeval I really agreed that math can be much way of showing romanticism. It reminds me of some short episodes of drama special I've watched some years back. How the love travels and express through math. That's so cute. In that drama the male or female lead I'm vaguely remembered is not a math person so he/she needs pretty long time to figure it out the answer of the question. It's different to this King story but they both include math as their base logic and love life. 

It's quite romantic really. The king went alone and came back with a woman in his arms, more powerful than before. By the way, your username reminded me of something, @Alice Wonderland.

Both Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass are celebrated books with numerous adaptations, like this drama. And I do see a lot of parallelism  in there. I don't know if someone has already pointed this out, but here are a few observations

• Following the rabbit. Alice followed the rabbit because she was curious why a rabbit would wear clothes and carrying a clock. On the other hand, LG followed a person wearing a rabbit costume.
  • Beheading. In Alice in Wonderland, the Queen of Hearts likes to scream "off with his/her head". Lee Gon likes to say beheading is his kindest offer. 
  • Traversing alternate worlds. Both Alice and LG goes to the alternate world via a mirror (a mirror-like portal for LG)

It's interesting to note that in Through the Looking Glass, time moves backward, while the characters move forward. For example, the wounds heal before the character experiences pain, and the messenger gets sentenced before he commits his crime. All of the characters remember both past and future too. Because of this contradiction, the effect leads back to a cause before it happens. Think episode 1, which happens in 2020, before moving to 2019.

There is also this Red Queen hypothesis derived from the book, which could also be at play here. It posits that organisms must constantly adapt and evolve in order to survive (or counter) the evolving opposing organisms. Just like Lee Gon and Lee Rim. I feel that they need to evolve at one point to counter each other. One being the positive number and the other one negative. We already see the effects to both of them - LR not ageing and LG getting lightning scars on his body.

Will see if there will be more parallels to Alice in Wonderland, but so far I am enjoying this series very very much!  

• Like 12
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 7
  • Thanks 1

@lofeval yup. I do see some parallelism through both stories as you've elaborated. 

I am sure they would jump onto 2020 soon as now they've already in November 2019. So we'll see how all these puzzles finally lead to LR and how all these happened. And oh.. good observant on that aging and scar part. But among the two LG's burning scar looks pretty scarier than the aging thing. 

I like Alice story that's how I used that nickname. Yes... I likeeeeeee this series too. Waiting for Friday to come faster :sweatingbullets:

• Like 9

6 hours ago, KRISHNENDU M said:

I didnt get the mentality of people who says that they dont understand this drama. Don't they watch any hit series like money heist, dark etc. Bcz they are pretty famous nowdays and endgame also. The most viewers nowdays go for sci-fi, thriller, suspense drama not for like romantic, family affair stories. 

Yes I said early this drama remind me Dark 

• Like 4

Watch: Lee Min Ho Is Full Of Affection For His Horse Co-Star Maximus In “The King: Eternal Monarch”

Lee Min Ho has shared a cute behind-the-scenes video from the set of SBS’s “The King: Eternal Monarch!”

Uploaded to his own YouTube channel, the video shows Lee Min Ho bonding with his equine co-star, Maximus. The actor has previously talked about his affection for his special co-star in an interview.

The video opens with beautiful shots of Lee Min Ho being a literal prince on a white steed, riding into the sunset, through a sunlit forest, and other scenes befitting his role as Emperor Lee Gon. As the video proceeds, Lee Min Ho can be seen affectionately petting the horse between takes, gazing into his eyes, and feeding him candy.

At one point, the actor is confused when Maximus (with Lee Min Ho on his back) pulls his head down to nibble at some leaves on the ground. Then he just laughs and says, “Why is he eating leaves?”

The PD asks him, “Do you think your horse is the only one that listens?” and Lee Min Ho quipped, “The important thing is who is doing the driving.” When the PD asks, “Is it fun to ride a horse for two days?”, Lee Min Ho replies, “Is it fun? Do you want to try it?”

Check out the video with English subtitles below!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1397166wpp/watch-lee-min-ho-affection-horse-costar-maximus-the-king-eternal-monarch

• Like 11
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1