[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

1 hour ago, leeminhosny said:

A Moroccon woman doctor even attended in Korean Show and she said that she is LMH's fan and She thought Korean men like LMH but when she came to Korea .... she had disappointment:lol:

I think I have seen that one haha. She was in a taxi or something like that and had glasses she was savage but nonetheless true tho

• Like 5

9 hours ago, syntyche said:

@taerabyte Yes, you could just imagine the countless theories in this thread while the drama was airing. That's what I like about this drama. It's not predictable. You could have this elaborate theory and then KES blows your mind with just a rather simple resolution.    

Ahh I miss the daily chatter about theories and backtracking, Now Soompi and my forum life seems deserted even with me following 3 separate threads. It's just not the same as this Thread !!!

:crybaby:

• Like 4
  • Love 4

Fierce Lee Gon 

cr: Byul E

img.gif

img.gif

img.gif

1 hour ago, madmad min said:

Ahh I miss the daily chatter about theories and backtracking, Now Soompi and my forum life seems deserted even with me following 3 separate threads. It's just not the same as this Thread !!!

Awww, I miss those days, too. I miss the hype and all the excitement! How we racked our brains out and did all those reading and researching and theorizing. KES blew our minds with her intricate story, but I'm proud to say that we did a great job figuring out parts of the puzzle, that is TKEM! 

:coolshades:

• Like 6
  • Love 6

1 hour ago, syntyche said:

Fierce Lee Gon 

cr: Byul E

Awww, I miss those days, too. I miss the hype and all the excitement! How we racked our brains out and did all those reading and researching and theorizing. KES blew our minds with her intricate story, but I'm proud to say that we did a great job figuring out parts of the puzzle, that is TKEM!

Aww I wish I had known this forum earlier so I could read a lot of people’s theories here and join in on the excitement hahaha :sweat_smile::blush:

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, Joanna Alfson said:

That is absolutely bonkers who would have thought it would explode to this extend. I knew it was gonna be massive but not this level massive overseas

The gulf markets are very selective in what they watch and if you can branch out into that territory you can do it anywhere in the world. Which is why Season 2 arriving will be compulsory and obligatory upon studio dragon and KES also on LMH and KGE

S2 anticipation building

6 hours ago, Wis dom said:
Spoiler

The King Eternal monarch has ranked during 04-17-2020 to 06-24-2020 in 42-countries but still missing few like Jamaica, Maldives, Bahrain, Indonesia(Will join later definitely it is not on Indonesia library yet) Tunisa I am certain I saw it ranked during the last 8 weeks but don't want to dig deep into twitter it will take me 10 years finding that if i have to scroll down on #thekingeternalmonarch or #leeminho or #kimgoeun. It's not final we could see few more additions

Asia
----------------
1.Malaysia
2.Japan
3.Taiwan
4.Thailand
5.Vietnam
6.Singapore
7.Phillippines
8.South Korea
9.Hong Kong

10.Nepal
-------------

The Subcontinent
---------------
11.India
12.Bangladesh
13.Sri Lanka
-----------
Africa
---------
14.Nigeria
15.Egypt
16.Morocco
17.Algeria
---------

Europe
------------
18.Ukraine
19.Romania
20.Bulgaria
21.Turkey
------------

Latin America and the Caribbeans
--------------
22.Boliva
23.Colombia
24.Mexico
25.Chile
26.Dominic Republic
27.Costa Rica
28.Honduras
29.Guatemala
30.Nicaragua
31.Barbados
32.Haiti
33.Ecuador
34.Peru
35.El Salvador
36.Trinidad and Tobago
37.Panama
--------------

Gulf countries
-----------
38. Qatar
39. UAE
40. Oman
41. Saudi Arabia
42. Kuwait

It is not in the top 10 in North America, neither Canada or the US. May not even be in the top 20 :(

• Sad 3

42 minutes ago, CallieP said:

It is not in the top 10 in North America, neither Canada or the US. May not even be in the top 20 :(

It’s ok, I didn’t ever expect it to be top 10 in the North America. In the US, it shows up under the popular list so it probably ranks somewhere in the top 50. 

And we just need to know the Netflix released list says it’s top 9 worldwide. And the only korean drama to place top 10. This is coming from Netflix themselves and not just some third party site so it’s the most credible source. I’m happy for them! :D 

• Like 8
  • Love 6

On 6/20/2020 at 10:26 AM, Elnin Joery said:

His criminally underrated. I am new to Kdramas just 2 months and I had the chance to watch him and for what I could see. His magical and I loved his vintage days they were gold and nowadays same. You could see the potential in his early days in movies like Get-up or dramas Makerel run or especially in I am sam. These were High-school dramas so nothing to serious but just his screen presence and charisma was bursting out of the screen. His comedic timing and acting was great. It was understandable why he exploded 2-3 years after these shows he just had the ''IT FACTOR''. His a very special and his type of actors don't come often. Who has that impact and can trendsend just due to being magnetic and charismatic. His longevity is also admirable

@Heilo His the most significiant actor in the whole effin world in the last decade or so. This is simple you can do your research you would come to the same conclusion.. He is underrated imo and on epic proportions. When you consider the language barrier and the reach he has had for the last decade or so you won't be able to find anyone other then him. perhaps the decades before this one you would be able to find 1 or 2 others but not in this decade 

You are right, there, "he just has the ''IT FACTOR''."

And Heilo says the reach he has around the world for the last decade when there is the language factor. Admitted, he does have a wide reach.

Even first time watchers say he has charisma. There is something about him that make viewers gravitate towards him. He is "it".  Some untouched quality about him, being above the fray but still connected to everyone and down to earth at the same time. :D Very relatable and lovable.

On 6/20/2020 at 12:06 PM, Wis dom said:

@madmad min @Heilo @Joanna Alfson and @Elnin Joery that was insightsful. 

I watched GB during when it came out. I always knew he was phenomenal but I wanted to hear your takes but it seems like his way more significiant then I assumed and his days and impact goes beyond Gangnam Blues days. I also loved TKEM which means I will start LMH rewatch campaign any suggests. I watched CH and faith already and LOTBS I will watch after TKEM

@Wis dom When I made that prediction I was not LMH fan nor KGE fan nor TKEM fan just neutral bystander and observer

So you are now a TKEM, LMH  and KGE fan.  Glad you got hooked in :)

In LOTBS, LMH acts in two different roles, in one of them he has great comedic timing. He can be very funny. Hope you enjoy it. I thought he was excellent in GB.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 4

3 hours ago, Heretorant said:

It’s ok, I didn’t ever expect it to be top 10 in the North America. In the US, it shows up under the popular list so it probably ranks somewhere in the top 50. 

And we just need to know the Netflix released list says it’s top 9 worldwide. And the only korean drama to place top 10. This is coming from Netflix themselves and not just some third party site so it’s the most credible source. I’m happy for them! :D 

Although TKEM can't have expected ratings in South Korean, but the popularity of TKEM is worldwide. I remember the korean drama "Dae Jang Geum" MBC, did not have high ratings too, but this drama successfully gained popularity in Asian countries and even worldwide. No matter how, i am happy with this drama..........

• Like 7

EbUTXGcVAAYNzWG?format=png&name=small

Popularity at home has waned, but overseas responses have been hot.

Unlike the gloomy situation in Korea, the SBS drama "The King: Eternal Monarch," which ended with disastrous performances in ratings and quality, has gained popularity overseas belatedly and managed to save its crumpled face.

It's seen by viewers from more than 190 countries through the OTT (Over The Top) platform Netflix, an indicator of Worldwide reach. In addition to topping the weekly TV show list in Korea, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, and Nigeria, it has maintained the top spot as popular content in Japan, India, Chile, and the Dominican Republic. It was also the only Korean film in the top 10 on the Netflix World Ranking Chart. It maintained its No. 1 spot on the Korean online platform Wavve Drama Rank for seven consecutive weeks. Weeks have passed since the end of the show, but it still hasn't let go of the top spot on Netflix.

In Korea, it was sarcastically criticized for PPL, but the reaction is explosive abroad. The multi-balm that Kim Go-eun applied on her face in the drama is very popular in Asia. It has become a hot topic in a short period of time due to a flood of inquiries from overseas countries such as the United States, Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Saudi Arabia. The first sale was sold out in two weeks. Asian women who watched "The King" are buying the multi-balm online, saying they will become like Kim Go-eun.

EbUUv95UYAArxO2?format=png&name=900x900

The popularity of actors has also increased abroad. This is the case with Lee Min-ho. Lee Min-ho has the most SNS followers among Hallyu stars. For example, the number of his Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter followers exceeded 17.3 million, 16.6 million, and 3 million, respectively, while in Weibo, it surpassed 28.5 million. This record ranks first among all Korean actors. In the case of Weibo and Facebook, he is the overwhelming No. 1 Korean artist among singers and actors, showing huge global popularity. In addition, SNS followers of Kim Go-eun, Woo Do-hwan, Jung Eun-chae, and Lee Jung-jin increased a lot from the time before the drama aired, and most of them are overseas fans.

http://isplus.live.joins.com/news/article/article.asp?total_id=23810044

Lee Min-ho, Woo Do-hwan, Jung Il-woo, and Kim Bum were spotted having coffee at the rooftop of Cafe Gray Grove in Jeju Island.

Spoiler

fullsizeoutput_b66e.jpeg?type=w800

https://m.blog.naver.com/richbystep/222011448737

• Like 4
  • Love 6

On 6/20/2020 at 11:49 AM, TiNaDo said:

The quarantine plays a huge role tbh, both for TKEM & for IONTBO (the one that started airing today). Both LMH & KSH have quite big fanbases; those viewers are guaranteed. So it is mostly up to those who are new (or almost new) to kdramas to actually start watching the shows & eventually like them. Anyways, TKEM is atypical for most people, so that's why it gained so much fans and popularity, I guess - something new & different.

I am from Bulgaria, kdramas are not that popular here, and, yet, TKEM is trending here as well & I even heard people discussing it on the streets. Which, honestly, was a first for me in this country.

That is the most interesting thing I heard, people discussing TKEM on the streets of Bulgaria . Wow!  I am glad it is trending there even though Kdramas are not that popular there. Why do you think TKEM is the exception?  Because of the theme and synopsis or because of LMH?

• Like 3
  • Love 2

18 minutes ago, CallieP said:

That is the most interesting thing I heard, people discussing TKEM on the streets of Bulgaria . Wow!  I am glad it is trending there even though Kdramas are not that popular there. Why do you think TKEM is the exception?  Because of the theme and synopsis or because of LMH?

For what I observed here, From late 2017 people were into Kdramas due to its legal availabilty on NETFLIX And the beautiful and different BASE STORYLINE , but the fact that It was mostly romance was somewhat draining over the years.K dramas always were popular after that but different genres. LMH and his shows always have been the IT show to go along with LJS/KSH/PSJ shows(Best Kdramas Imo was in the year 2016 handsdown), and then CLOY came , it was maybe the first one to be watched when on air happened due to the NKSK theme, then came TKEM with LMH and add to it a mix of HP and certain Grasping theme , it was not THE NORMAL ROMANCE. ALso the covid lockdown contributed to take our Minds off.Contribution to all these Led to its Explosion. I mean how long can one rewatch the same old thematic shows?, Plus It was a NETFLIX Kdrama bound to satisfy your heart and also had LMH with Slice of romance. :D

Purely my opinion. Had TKEM been there with some other Lead, I am not sure of the result. It was LMH's next project after 3 freaking years!!!

• Like 2
  • Love 2

15 hours ago, Wis dom said:

Indonesia(Will join later definitely it is not on Indonesia library yet)

Wait whaaaaaaat. So TKEM is not yet in Indonesia??? It was always trending on twitter there

On 6/24/2020 at 11:28 AM, SweetButters said:

This video edit of TKEM is like so sick!!!!! You guys must check it out !!!

SO FREAKING AWESOOOOOOOOOOOME

• Like 2

1 hour ago, madmad min said:

For what I observed here, From late 2017 people were into Kdramas due to its legal availabilty on NETFLIX And the beautiful and different BASE STORYLINE , but the fact that It was mostly romance was somewhat draining over the years.K dramas always were popular after that but different genres. LMH and his shows always have been the IT show to go along with LJS/KSH/PSJ shows(Best Kdramas Imo was in the year 2016 handsdown), and then CLOY came , it was maybe the first one to be watched when on air happened due to the NKSK theme, then came TKEM with LMH and add to it a mix of HP and certain Grasping theme , it was not THE NORMAL ROMANCE. ALso the covid lockdown contributed to take our Minds off.Contribution to all these Led to its Explosion. I mean how long can one rewatch the same old thematic shows?, Plus It was a NETFLIX Kdrama bound to satisfy your heart and also had LMH with Slice of romance. :D

Purely my opinion. Had TKEM been there with some other Lead, I am not sure of the result. It was LMH's next project after 3 freaking years!!!

I would like to believe tht LMH influence TKEM popularity in overseas. No offense to other casts. It might sound bias to some but LMH is one of the few K actors tht hv massive fan base in overseas. I might say maybe hes the most popular K actor overseas. TKEM is his comeback after 3 years and it is hit and he still gaining new fans and followers:)

• Like 5
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, CallieP said:

It is not a mass event, of course, but I've heard it a few times. It is primarily because people are super bored right now, from staying at home, and they are binge-watching everything on Netflix and HBO GO. And in Netflix Bulgaria, the vast majority are kdramas, the newest one (until recently) being TKEM. So... people started watching it. But it was something which is not often seen in other popular dramas here (Turkish or Bulgarian) - fantasy elements, the visuals, the whole relationship between the characters (most are unfamiliar with Korean culture in general). So this is what made them not only watch TKEM but discuss it and, eventually, even like it. :) 

• Like 7
  • Love 3

8 hours ago, CallieP said:

@Heilo His the most significiant actor in the whole effin world in the last decade or so. This is simple you can do your research you would come to the same conclusion.. He is underrated imo and on epic proportions. When you consider the language barrier and the reach he has had for the last decade or so you won't be able to find anyone other then him. perhaps the decades before this one you would be able to find 1 or 2 others but not in this decade 

You are right, there, "he just has the ''IT FACTOR''."

And Heilo says the reach he has around the world for the last decade when there is the language factor. Admitted, he does have a wide reach.

Even first time watchers say he has charisma. There is something about him that make viewers gravitate towards him. He is "it".  Some untouched quality about him, being above the fray but still connected to everyone and down to earth at the same time. :D Very relatable and lovable.

@Wis dom When I made that prediction I was not LMH fan nor KGE fan nor TKEM fan just neutral bystander and observer

So you are now a TKEM, LMH  and KGE fan.  Glad you got hooked in :)

In LOTBS, LMH acts in two different roles, in one of them he has great comedic timing. He can be very funny. Hope you enjoy it. I thought he was excellent in GB.

I mean If you followed him from his vintage days you would understand way he exploded 2-3 years later it was due to pure talent. He had good combo of strengths that allowed him to befriend the audience in extreme ways. You could alter time and not cast him in BOF. He would still be here today. Example when he ran across the room and stabbed someone in the meat-freezer in public enemies the lead senior actor standing next to him was slightly startled if you look closely because it just felt real the way he stabbed that guy with alot of intensity. He could be playful, intense, childish, manly, fiercer, soft, sweet, dengerous, tough, gentle, funny, harsh and kind at the same time. What makes him shine most and his biggest asset is his intensity coming from his eyes and flamboyance-acting. He dose swagger acting. His always been an actors actor and hardworker.

His an extremely hard worker. When you put alot of intensity into something it becomes closest to realism. This is also the same reason he has shined in romance genre due to intensity and the Female lead is properly loved as she should and female audience notice this straight away because he puts so much intensity into loving her. You could send him back to 2006 when he debuted and he could achieve the same result again and again hitting with the audience and becoming larger then life that is pure talent not fluke or anything but pure talent in it's absolute true form 

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 3

3 hours ago, Miss Pizza said:

I would like to believe tht LMH influence TKEM popularity in overseas. No offense to other casts. It might sound bias to some but LMH is one of the few K actors tht hv massive fan base in overseas. I might say maybe hes the most popular K actor overseas. TKEM is his comeback after 3 years and it is hit and he still gaining new fans and followers:)

I don't Deny that. :D 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I tried something different to circle off the withdrawals. I went deep into the netflix library started to watch couple of western series or movies but I swear I couldn't finish any of them. Anyone else experienced this? What has TKEM done to me... it set the standard really high for me

• Like 5
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Wanderer062287 said:

Wait whaaaaaaat. So TKEM is not yet in Indonesia??? It was always trending on twitter there

yes it always trending twitter in Indonesia.

TKEM is already in Indonesia Netflix since day 1, but i think there are no ranking system in Netflix Indonesia. idk why..

Actually if you look at twitter and instagram, there are lo..ts of posts are actually from Indonesia. TKEM has lots of fans fr Indonesia, but i think some watching it in some "not so legal" site..

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, magiclily said:

yes it always trending twitter in Indonesia.

TKEM is already in Indonesia Netflix since day 1, but i think there are no ranking system in Netflix Indonesia. idk why..

Actually if you look at twitter and instagram, there are lo..ts of posts are actually from Indonesia. TKEM has lots of fans fr Indonesia, but i think some watching it in some "not so legal" site..

Are you from Indonesia?