[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

5 Netflix Shows You Need To Add To Your Watch List

What is a weekend if not for a continuous lying-on-the-bed-binge-watching session? Stop scrolling up and down trying to lock in on one of the shows that might interest you. These Netflix shows will surely keep you hooked to the seat and how:

The King: Eternal Monarch

Ebj-EfiUwAABZiv?format=jpg&name=medium

All the K-drama lovers who devour Korean everything, The King: Eternal Monarch is a show you must not miss out on. Rated 8.5 on IMDb, the show revolves around time travel, alternate universes with the essence of thriller, family drama and of course, romance.

https://www.femina.in/life/tv/5-netflix-shows-you-need-to-add-to-your-watch-list-162155-6.html

(only Kdrama on the list!)

• Like 6
  • Awesome 3

news_1593138480_900638_m_1.jpeg

Currently, the most popular drama worldwide is 'The King: Eternal Monarch,' starring Lee Min-ho. If you look at Netflix's ranking of global online video service (OTT) by country, "The King" has been ranked No. 1 in Nigeria and has been ranked within the top 10 in Romania, Turkey, and India.

The popularity of Korean dramas following the win of "Parasite" in the Academy Awards and popularity of K-pop group  BTS, which have fans from around the world, is helping to rekindle the Korean Wave. Thanks to the platform that transcends time and space, the craze for Korean dramas is starting from now on, and it is expected to intensify in the future. 

An official from Studio Dragon, a drama production company, said that there are many viewers who are attracted to the theme of Korean romance and fall in love with the story, adding, "Viewers around the world are attracted to Korean dramas that are well-made. The popularity of Korean dramas has just begun, and I think they will become more popular in the future."

"The consumers who liked K-pop, which led to the Korean Wave in the past, were narrow," he said. "On the other hand, viewers of Korean dramas show a pattern of watching where a conclusion of a drama leads to watching another drama to fill the void. In the end, they become interested in K-content beyond Korean dramas, which encompasses all kinds of movies, songs, and performances. This is the power of content and platform," he explained.

full article:

https://www.dailian.co.kr/news/view/900638?sc=Naver

@yellowduck Hello, welcome to the thread!

@Joje, I am thinking Tae Eul is not a damsel in distress. In the street battle in episode 11/12, despite being alone, she stood her ground in front of all Lee Rim's men attacking her. She may only have a gun with a few bullets, but she bravely faced them anyway. But when Lee Gon showed up, she was relieved at the sight of him, to the brink of collapsing. She only shows her vulnerable side to him.

• Like 4
  • Love 6
  • Awesome 2

48 minutes ago, yellowduck said:

In ep 12 ?? 

Hello, I am new here ^^

Welcome :wub:

Oh really? I thought she handled herself well considering the situation she was in. She fought till she was outnumbered. 

Anyway, Thank you

• Like 7

Numerous Nigerian men sent letters warning Lee Min Ho to stay away from their girlfriends

Recently, netizens have been laughing because of a very enthusiastic letter from a Nigerian man to actor Lee Min Ho. He regarded the actor as his rival since his girlfriend has been neglecting him because of Lee Min Ho.

EbkdeeJVAAAXzoz?format=jpg&name=small

Due to the popularity of "The King: Eternal Monarch," Lee Min Ho has become a name that is popular among Nigerian female fans. He is recognized as the "Korean son-in-law" of this country. 

On June 22 - Lee Min Ho's birthday, the actor's name once again caused "storms" across Nigerian social networks. He went straight to the country's No. 1 top trending list.

20200625183131-15932424790511490332944.j

https://kenh14.vn/hang-loat-dan-ong-nguoi-nigeria-gui-thu-tuyen-chien-va-canh-cao-lee-min-ho-tranh-xa-ban-gai-ho-chuyen-gi-day-20200627144243437.chn

"The King" never left the #1 spot of the top 10 tv shows on Netflix in Nigeria for almost the entire month of June!

cr: xjinnyxpurple

EbkD6J0U8AQc4Tb?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 5
  • LOL 6

2 hours ago, syntyche said:

An official from Studio Dragon, a drama production company, said that there are many viewers who are attracted to the theme of Korean romance and fall in love with the story, adding, "Viewers around the world are attracted to Korean dramas that are well-made. The popularity of Korean dramas has just begun, and I think they will become more popular in the future."

What a wise opinion "has just begun" ? I think they don't know anything.

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

4 hours ago, leeminhosny said:

What a wise opinion "has just begun" ? I think they don't know anything.

Yup, that's what they said. But the popularity of kdrama has started more than a decade ago.

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

8 hours ago, syntyche said:

@Joje, I am thinking Tae Eul is not a damsel in distress. In the street battle in episode 11/12, despite being alone, she stood her ground in front of all Lee Rim's men attacking her. She may only have a gun with a few bullets, but she bravely faced them anyway. But when Lee Gon showed up, she was relieved at the sight of him, to the brink of collapsing. She only shows her vulnerable side to him.

Thank you for this. 

I saw some reviews on mdl bashing JTE's character as "a weak weepy damsel in distress" and to the extent of criticizing her acting and physical appearance. It's really appalling and irked me to the bone. It got me scratching my head as to whether we watched the same drama but I guess some didn't really grab the depth of her character or acting and see crying/tears a sign of weakness. 

Well.. we are all entitled to our opinions. It is what it is..

• Unamused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Joje said:

Thank you for this. 

I saw some reviews on mdl bashing JTE's character as "a weak weepy damsel in distress" and to the extent of criticizing her acting and physical appearance. It's really appalling and irked me to the bone. It got me scratching my head as to whether we watched the same drama but I guess some didn't really grab the depth of her character or acting and see crying/tears a sign of weakness. 

Well.. we are all entitled to our opinions. It is what it is..

Chingu...DML is not a good mental place for people who likes and enjoy TKEM, if you've been there, im sure you are aware. So...take the comments there with a lot of salt heheheheh...and i agree, we are all entitled of our own opinion, i have a cousin who watch the King and i helped her through to understand it and she still think it's not the best, which is fine. But some people on DML just downright rude and mean with their comments and i can tell that they are really picking the show apart and not giving it a fair chance. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Kdrama is STARTING?  I still fully remember not being able to sleep at the age of 12 because my mother was downstairs VERY loudly watching Rain yelling in Full House at 3am.  Thank goodness for iPads and earbuds, since she tried pulling that shiz with CLOY last month...I finally got her to watch on her tablet.  I love CLOY to shreds, but not at 2:30am on Friday morning when I need to get up in 4 hours to watch TKEM.  Priorities, y'all.

@Joje I don't think TE ever became a true damsel in distress, and I would've left if she did lol.  I think she was able to show a perfect balance of "tough as nails", and "real human".  I do think she made some really bad choices towards the end, especially when she got stabbed by Luna, but the thing is...she never needed LG to come rescue her.  She got kidnapped, drugged, and fought her way through all of the minions until it became WAY overwhelming.  But it made sense, she wasn't ever going to fight her way through an entire army of people.

The scene in Endgame where Cap stood alone, all battered and broken, against Thanos's entire army is just like that scene.  And just like LG came in with the cavalry for JTE, the Avengers showed up for Cap.  But you'll never hear anyone calling Cap a "damsel in distress".

The true stupid scene was when JTE got stabbed in the alleyway, but we need to gauge what she did afterwards.  She didn't sit there and wait for LG to come back and rescue her - she gathered the troops (and seriously, she had ES, JY, and SJ all doing grunt work for her, the girl isn't a damsel she's a general), caught Luna, punched her out all with a stab wound. 

The last two scenes for me were in the hospital, when she didn't want LG to go.  A perfectly human moment of desperation, if you ask me.  I'm all for a badbish character, and truly believe that women can do anything, but we're also not robots, incapable of emotions.  She's been drugged, beaten, stabbed, kidnapped, just received memories of her spending a lifetime waiting for LG, and now he's basically embraced his fate that he has to sacrifice themselves to save the world.  So she had ONE moment of weakness, and he did too.  He wasn't going to leave unless she told him to, and she didn't want to tell him to.  But again, we need to see what she did AFTER.  She didn't sit there sobbing and whining, she got off her stabbed butt and took out LL all on her own. 

And I think the last scene that anyone could have complaints about is at the end when she broke down after seeing LJH.  But let's be real here.  The last time she ever saw LG (or JY or SJ or anyone from KOC) was TWO YEARS prior, and her last moments with both LG and SJ were tearful goodbyes.  She has NO idea if they're even alive or not.  For all she knows, LG killed LL and then died.  Or SJ died anyways, or is living in misery.  Who knows of the parallel universe still exists?  But she went back to her daily life, protected those around her, protected the public, and then was slapped in the face with LJH wandering the streets.  A true damsel in distress would've crawled under the bed sobbing forever, or worse...jumped LJH's bones.

Okay I would've done that regardless but.

I wouldn't put too much thought into it.  JTE was a WELL ROUNDED FL, with a lot of tough characteristics that define her, and fully embraced by LG, SJ, her dad, those around her.  But even warrior women aren't warriors all the time, and we saw that.  But it's important (to me at least) that even when she had moments of weakness, she pulled herself up by her bootstraps and went on to forge her own fate and destiny.

Also, I think some people are just pre-dispositioned to dislike KGE/JTE because of her appearance, because she's playing opposite LMH, because of internalized misogyny.  KGE is honestly such a precious Queen, and gets the most random hate for no reason.  I literally saw someone on FB complaining because JTE's outfits look like they came from a fish market.  You know what else comes from fish markets?  Murderous Prime Ministers who will slit your throats.  So good luck with that.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 5

2 hours ago, AgentQuake said:

@Joje I don't think TE ever became a true damsel in distress, and I would've left if she did lol.  I think she was able to show a perfect balance of "tough as nails", and "real human".  I do think she made some really bad choices towards the end, especially when she got stabbed by Luna, but the thing is...she never needed LG to come rescue her.  She got kidnapped, drugged, and fought her way through all of the minions until it became WAY overwhelming.  But it made sense, she wasn't ever going to fight her way through an entire army of people.

The scene in Endgame where Cap stood alone, all battered and broken, against Thanos's entire army is just like that scene.  And just like LG came in with the cavalry for JTE, the Avengers showed up for Cap.  But you'll never hear anyone calling Cap a "damsel in distress".

The true stupid scene was when JTE got stabbed in the alleyway, but we need to gauge what she did afterwards.  She didn't sit there and wait for LG to come back and rescue her - she gathered the troops (and seriously, she had ES, JY, and SJ all doing grunt work for her, the girl isn't a damsel she's a general), caught Luna, punched her out all with a stab wound. 

The last two scenes for me were in the hospital, when she didn't want LG to go.  A perfectly human moment of desperation, if you ask me.  I'm all for a badbish character, and truly believe that women can do anything, but we're also not robots, incapable of emotions.  She's been drugged, beaten, stabbed, kidnapped, just received memories of her spending a lifetime waiting for LG, and now he's basically embraced his fate that he has to sacrifice themselves to save the world.  So she had ONE moment of weakness, and he did too.  He wasn't going to leave unless she told him to, and she didn't want to tell him to.  But again, we need to see what she did AFTER.  She didn't sit there sobbing and whining, she got off her stabbed butt and took out LL all on her own. 

And I think the last scene that anyone could have complaints about is at the end when she broke down after seeing LJH.  But let's be real here.  The last time she ever saw LG (or JY or SJ or anyone from KOC) was TWO YEARS prior, and her last moments with both LG and SJ were tearful goodbyes.  She has NO idea if they're even alive or not.  For all she knows, LG killed LL and then died.  Or SJ died anyways, or is living in misery.  Who knows of the parallel universe still exists?  But she went back to her daily life, protected those around her, protected the public, and then was slapped in the face with LJH wandering the streets.  A true damsel in distress would've crawled under the bed sobbing forever, or worse...jumped LJH's bones.

Okay I would've done that regardless but.

I wouldn't put too much thought into it.  JTE was a WELL ROUNDED FL, with a lot of tough characteristics that define her, and fully embraced by LG, SJ, her dad, those around her.  But even warrior women aren't warriors all the time, and we saw that.  But it's important (to me at least) that even when she had moments of weakness, she pulled herself up by her bootstraps and went on to forge her own fate and destiny.

Also, I think some people are just pre-dispositioned to dislike KGE/JTE because of her appearance, because she's playing opposite LMH, because of internalized misogyny.  KGE is honestly such a precious Queen, and gets the most random hate for no reason.  I literally saw someone on FB complaining because JTE's outfits look like they came from a fish market.  You know what else comes from fish markets?  Murderous Prime Ministers who will slit your throats.  So good luck with that.

This!!!.. Perfect and Spot-on:wub::heart1:

I can't with these two sentences; Okay I would've done that regardless and Murderous Prime Ministers who will slit your throats:lol::lol:

LG was her solace; with him, she could be vulnerable and to some extent vice versa. She cried most of the time in his arms or when she was alone. She broke down in public only once if I'm not mistaken. In reality, some tough and strong people also tend to break down in their closet or in the presence of their loved ones when they are faced with challenges but act tough to the outside world. The only difference is that hers was shown to us.

The writer and PD did her wrong in the scene with LJH especially with him looking like that lol. My heart broke for her. She actually handled it better than I would have. Like you, I would have definitely “approached” him and probably gotten myself arrested for harassment or something.

Aww JTE.. I really love her character. After all they've been through, you would think she'll go soft on him but naahhh. She totally ignored him in the scene where he talked about his birthday. I was like; girl, really…??

@scrawford You're right chingu. For my own peace of mind, I'm gonna skip reading reviews and stick to my re-watch and listening to the OSTs while enjoying some chicken :D

• Love 5