[Drama 2019] Melting Me Softly, 날 녹여주오

liltash85

@nrllee "Buried in slapstick" is right. Now don't get me wrong. It's not like there's nothing in this show that's interesting. It's just not grippingly interesting. I'm sticking around really cos of JCW. If it had been anyone else, I'd have dropped this already. There are just so many things that don't seem to flow as you would expect in a mystery:

1. How did they even find Prof Hwang if everything he's doing is so hush hush?

2. Prof Hwang 20 years later - What's with his sudden waking up, sudden thawing of GMR and MDC and not the other 4, the siren going off (for who and what?), dropping the syringes and then he himself dropping on the floor back into a state of unconsciousness. What was that all about?

3. The 2 of them - MDC and GMR - get out of the pods round about the same time and they didn't encounter each other? If no one could find them in 20 years because they were supposedly hidden underground, how did they find their way out? How did they find their belongings? There was no one there with them cos Prof Hwang collapsed after reviving them. Neither of them saw Prof Hwang?

4. I still don't get GMR's motivation to eventually join the project -- they shot it to look like it was cos of her brother, but he hasn't quite got an illness per se. He's autistic. I'm not so sure I like how autism is potentially being discussed in this drama. 

We've seen JCW in comedic instances (Healer's Bong Soo - loved him!), and for sure he can handle any role given. Of that I am confident. But the story telling, oh! The story telling! I hope it gets better for JCW's sake! He deserves better!

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, thistle said:

In which case, I think I've gotten it wrong--it can't be Celine because  I saw the Korean version and the bgm was music only.  I'm awful at recognizing tunes but I knew the one that I heard was really familiar and from the 90's.  Guess I'm gonna have to go re-watch that part.

Okay my bad. It was not a song but a music. Quite sure it was "Power of Love" but I only remember Celine Dion sang it. :D

Ok I like the cast and the storyline but there are a bit of plot holes here and the indecisiveness direction of the drama if it should be serious or comedic mixed in with sci-fi. Other than that, I am enjoying the more emotional parts of the leads and think they look great together!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this thread. Just finished watching the first two episodes and loving that Ji Chang Wook is back. I am very curious of the mystery behind the whole freezing project and at the same time, loving the rom-comedy in this drama already. It's hilarious that Ma Dong Chan is 52 in 2019 and Go Mi Ran is 44. Lol! 

I hope to enjoy this journey with you all. It's going to be a good drama. :)

13 hours ago, gilaswan said:

@nrllee "Buried in slapstick" is right. Now don't get me wrong. It's not like there's nothing in this show that's interesting. It's just not grippingly interesting. I'm sticking around really cos of JCW. If it had been anyone else, I'd have dropped this already. There are just so many things that don't seem to flow as you would expect in a mystery:

1. How did they even find Prof Hwang if everything he's doing is so hush hush?

2. Prof Hwang 20 years later - What's with his sudden waking up, sudden thawing of GMR and MDC and not the other 4, the siren going off (for who and what?), dropping the syringes and then he himself dropping on the floor back into a state of unconsciousness. What was that all about?

3. The 2 of them - MDC and GMR - get out of the pods round about the same time and they didn't encounter each other? If no one could find them in 20 years because they were supposedly hidden underground, how did they find their way out? How did they find their belongings? There was no one there with them cos Prof Hwang collapsed after reviving them. Neither of them saw Prof Hwang?

4. I still don't get GMR's motivation to eventually join the project -- they shot it to look like it was cos of her brother, but he hasn't quite got an illness per se. He's autistic. I'm not so sure I like how autism is potentially being discussed in this drama. 

We've seen JCW in comedic instances (Healer's Bong Soo - loved him!), and for sure he can handle any role given. Of that I am confident. But the story telling, oh! The story telling! I hope it gets better for JCW's sake! He deserves better!

I want to give my opinion to your questions

1. Yeah, even I am curious, how they found the prof. Hope it's addressed later on.

2. Mm.. about him suddenly waking up. I think he is kept sedated but there are times the sedation wears off and he is kind of aware of what's happening around. Though I wish they explicitly depicted it. 

3. He did not wake up the other four because they are people who gave consent for long term freezing. There is no need to wake them upI. It's

said in the first episode. You can watch it again. But as for the Mi Ran and Dong Chan, they are people who came to help him and was supposed to be frozen for 24 hrs. So ofcourse he would want to free them specifically. 

4. Both of them woke up separately, it's clearly shown, and it's possible they missed each other. But I wish they clearly showed how they found their belongings, their way out, and how did they manage to come to the middle of the city, from that forested area.

5. Biotechnology and autism: I think it's in the level of gene editing to prevent genetic disorders and defects. So once again, I don't think she is explicitly thinking of curing her brother per se. When he talks about cure for diseases she just thinks about her brother. It's a normal reaction and automatic response for people who have loved ones afflicted with any incurable disease. Dong Chan clearly states... It may be possible in future to even cure people. What they are talking is the potential of biotechnology, not that the doctors experiment is directly related to cure for autism. The doctors experiment is crucial in expanding the research on biotech. So if biotechnology develops, in future, there might be cure of diseases that are unthinkable now. It may not help her brother now, but may help others in future. 

Hi guys. Finally I watch the first 2 episodes. Really because of JCW that I watch this drama. He‘s always so enjoyable to watch. But the plot hole and storyline are bit messy for these episodes. Especially when MDC and GMR just woke up. How can they already in full dressed? Especially GMR even has her own bag! Curious also with the mystery in the story. Such as why prof hwang suddenly has to go, then got bombed, but end up in the bed unconscious. 

37 minutes ago, mundaliv said:

How can they already in full dressed? Especially GMR even has her own bag!

Although I wish they had showed us how that happened, I think the only answer can be that they had locker where they could leave a change of clothes.  The lockers must have been brought with all the rest of the equipment when the lab stuff was moved.  After all, the first thing they're gonna want to do when they are defrosted is get dressed.

LOL about the clothes. Seems a lot of people are disturbed by that. I wondered too but well...

I just think this is one of those shows that I need to use my right brain and shut down my left brain. :D  Anyway, I hope that if this show is going to be bad, then please be so bad, it's so good kinda way. :lol:

9 hours ago, mundaliv said:

Hi guys. Finally I watch the first 2 episodes. Really because of JCW that I watch this drama. He‘s always so enjoyable to watch. But the plot hole and storyline are bit messy for these episodes. Especially when MDC and GMR just woke up. How can they already in full dressed? Especially GMR even has her own bag! Curious also with the mystery in the story. Such as why prof hwang suddenly has to go, then got bombed, but end up in the bed unconscious. 

Let's just think logic here. of coz the two come to the bunker dressed. And they must asked to change into something simple and put their stuffs in alocker (just like when we had check up at hospitals, sometimes we asked to change for certain procedure). And of coz they are not required to show they change clothes and make their way out. Just accept it as little glitch in editing and writing. 

About Prof Hwang definitely it is a conspiracy and the assistant is involve. Because the assistant called someone and report about MDC n GMR is alive. 

On 9/30/2019 at 2:36 AM, gilaswan said:

Am reading all the comments so far about the premiere episodes and I think the sentiments are somewhat similar -- there is that tad bit of disappointment at how the scenes have been shot and edited so far, making it come across (if I might bluntly put it) as potentially cheap and crass storytelling. I know many of us are here for JCW and given that this is his comeback drama after MS, we've got lots of expectations. We've seen him in many productions and his acting has always been top notch. And the cast for this production is not new or young. There are many well-known and very experienced veteran actors in this production, so we're expecting good acting. And truly, there's nothing wrong with the acting at all! But the scene edits... :wacko: I have found the story telling so far choppy and not particularly attention grabbing (I could multitask without having lost much information at all), and scenes spliced and put together in a patchy sequence that seems to hop about. And as many of you have pointed out, so much slapstick (a la Jim Carrey style which I really dislike) that it hides the talent of the cast. I sincerely hope this changes soon. This cannot be JCW's comeback, especially when he's done so much good work in the action/serious drama genre so far... :mellow:

Sadly, editing and scene set ups are limited by what can be done in a traditional 16 hours of air time.  If they had some play in that area, I assume they could do much better.  I can't pin point exactly why I struggled a little in the first episode other than the fact that it was the "set up" episode which in my mind always tends to be the weakest in a series.  However, episode 2 was great and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I can't wait for the chemistry development for our leads.  I am a little sad about the situation between MDC and NHY.  The potential for a happy relationship held such promise and now it is destroyed because of the 20 year physical age difference.  I hope they resolve that in a very humane, kind way

"Melting Me Slowly" OST Part.1 will be released on 6 October at 6:00pm KST via all online music portals!

2019100410491418903-540x540.jpg

The tune is named "Before You," and is sung by balladeer K.Will (*squeeeeeeeeeeeee*).  "Before You" is meant to be Ma Dong Chan's song and the lyrics are to represent Dong-chan's heart that retains his stopped time towards Na Ha Young.  An emotional melody with piano and rich orchestration is outstanding, and K.Will's delicate expression shows Ma Dong Chan's sincere feelings toward Na Ha Young.  (This was the song underplaying the scene when Dong-chan first met Ha-young at TBO.)

Source:  10Asia

3 hours ago, cherkell said:

"Melting Me Slowly" OST Part.1 will be released on 6 October at 6:00pm KST via all online music portals!

The tune is named "Before You," and is sung by balladeer K.Will (*squeeeeeeeeeeeee*).  "Before You" is meant to be Ma Dong Chan's song and the lyrics are to represent Dong-chan's heart that retains his stopped time towards Na Ha Young.  An emotional melody with piano and rich orchestration is outstanding, and K.Will's delicate expression shows Ma Dong Chan's sincere feelings toward Na Ha Young.  (This was the song underplaying the scene when Dong-chan first met Ha-young at TBO.)

Source:  10Asia

AAAHHHHH!!! So excited!!!!

Can't wait!!! :lol:

So looking forward to Episode 3, and will watch it on Viki.com with or without subs!  For me it is a delightful, zany, and exciting story giving JCW plenty of room for expanding his library of different personae...…..yes, even the gravelly-voiced cowpoke with the (awful) mustache. Still there is no real way to make him look anything other than the handsome guy he is.  

For those who are still bothered by plot inconsistencies, I grabbed this tag line because it personifies, for me,  the overall looniness:

mmstag3.png

It was taken from this scene:

makingthingsthatdontmakesense-1.png

I just love the twisted syntax.  :tounge_xd:  See you all at the movies!

Hello everyone.

First post in this thread, even though I have been reading for a while. As we are heading into the second week, with just mere hours to go before episode 3, I wanted to throw in also my 2 cents about MMS. 

The quick version:

Based on what we have seen so far...

1. is this drama perfect? No, far from it, imo.

2. is it enjoyable? Yes, very much for me.

3. am I going to keep watching and looking forward to what comes next? Yes, by any means. And not just for JCW.

Elaborating a little bit...

1. It is definitely not perfect. I honestly understand, and to a certain extent agree with, a lot of the criticism I have read here and elsewhere. 

Like others, I think the editing and directing could have been different to make the 2 set-up episodes (especially ep 1) faster and more gripping and compelling. 

Then some inconsistencies... In particular the "how on earth they managed to simply get up after 20 yrs being frozen (well, at least they did look pretty bad...), find their belongings and leave the lab to find themselves in downtown Seoul???" bugged me too, especially while live streaming. Let me clarify: of course if I decide to watch a drama about frozen human beings who wake up after 20 years I am fully ready to suspend disbelief about the whole freezing and thawing process as well as the need to keep the body temperature below 33 °C. But in order for the sci-fi element to work, we usually need all the other details to be perfect and believable. And this didn't happen here. Anyway, I trust that as we fully settle into year 2019 and the present story, there won't be more head-scratching moments like that one.

Finally, I don't really consider it a fault or a weak point but... the slapstick humor. I am aware it's not everyone's cup of tea. Based on the writer's previous work SWDBS, I guess we'll have to expect more of it. We'll see how much exactly and how it is handled... I am personally ok with slapstick as long as it doesn't overshadow everything else. Let's see. In any case, we've got to accept that not everyone will like it. That's ok. You can't please everyone... 

2. Despite what I just wrote, I can honestly say that I enjoyed the first two episodes. Not just for the JCW eye-candy or because I am super happy to see Wookie back on my screen, even though this is a factor too. 

Some good points in no specific order:

There were several funny moments that made me laugh out loud.

I liked the choice of bgm. 

I liked both Ma DongChan and Go Miran  and I am eager to see more about them. 

I found Hongki and Baro really good playing the younger versions of MDC's assistant and GMR's boyfriend.

Brilliant casting for the young and old versions of the characters in general. It is actually almost believable that they are the same people. And Kim WonHae playing MDC's dad in 1999 and MDC's aged brother in 2019 is genius. 

Great acting - just as I expected - by both the main leads. And the supporting characters (with maybe one exception) were really good too. Now I am looking forward to seeing all the sunbae actors in their roles.  

Last but not least: I liked the second episode more. The pace was much better, and seeing an improvement can only make me happy and confident about what it is to come. 

3. I am definitely curious to see how the story progresses and how the characters will be developed. Of course I am looking forward to the romance, since based on the very few glimpses we saw in the previous ep and in the previews we can expect great chemistry between MDC and GMR. But not just that: I really see a lot of potential for the story and the characters' growth. There are so many aspects from the funny to the more serious ones to explore. I am sure that there will be many amusing scenes as our hero and heroine adapt to life 20 years "into the future". But I also hope there will be time to explore how the 2 feel realizing that they have missed 20 years of the lives of their loved ones, 20 years of the world's happenings; that all the people they left are now in a different place in their life; that they have the looks and experience/dreams/expectations of people in their twenties and early thirties, but are in fact 44 and 52 years old... For instance, I really laughed when the lady at the police station asked MR what cosmetics she uses upon realizing that the pretty girl before her is actually 44 years old, but I am expecting that all these aspects won't be used just for comedy but will also receive a more serious treatment. No doubt that both JCW and WJA can pull off all the nuances brilliantly if they are given the opportunity, so there is really a lot I am looking forward to.

Can't wait for ep. 3 in just a few hours. And today I am also looking forward to Laborhood on Hire guest starring Wookie and Im WonHee.   :heart:

Archived