Quantcast
liltash85

[Drama 2019] Melting Me Softly, 날 녹여주오

Ep 4...

The tone is still iffy... which was hard for me in this episode. I ended up skipping around--mainly the slapstick stuff. Probably not going to watch with subs and just watch raw since I can understand enough to get me through. I'm sticking with but after this not sure if I will continuing commenting... To be honest, the main reason I'm watching now is because the actors and actresses seem like *they* are having a lot of fun. 

GMR is by far my favourite character. I love her devotion to Oppa and that he would have lived if she hadn't been frozen (out of character-ish but highlights her youthful fangirling). Really curious about how she will respond to a guy 20 years younger than her flirting/crushing. WJA is really pulling off the rollercoaster writing; one min depth and seriousness the next full on slapstick--which is starting to grate with each passing scene.

I'm finding the writing for MDC all over the place--they are trying to get his character to do too much. Not really able to say more than that... JWC pulling his scenes along through sheer force of will in some cases (but he looks like he is having a blast!).

I'm glad that they added some conflict between MDC and NHY that will (eventually) lead them to part ways... and it is a conflict that isn't coming out of the blue. It will (hopefully) make the love story between MDC and GMR less "oh now we like each other" and more organic... but I'm never a fan of characters that fall in and out of love so quickly. 

Other than tone and pacing, the real flaw of this drama is that there are too many characters. The best dramas (imo) are ones that stick with a core of about 8-10 characters (2 leads; 1/2 second leads; 4/6 supporting characters)--this does not include ensemble dramas like the Reply series (though 1997 only had 9 central characters). In MMS, I think there are 2 leads; 2 second leads; 6 around GMR; 5 around MDC; plus mad scientist & mystery crowd (5 people). 20 people, all of whom are important characters we need to know about to follow the story. I just hope that all the plots are resolved in the next 12 episodes... with this writer? I'm not sure.

I was really surprised by the ratings... I thought it would be higher now that people have had time to stream it, read reviews... but perhaps the initial not so positive kick-back has put people off...

• Like 9
  • Insightful 1

Episode 5 preview

MR: So, you’re saying that I should be an intern for 3 months?
College Boy: Anyway I think about it, she’s strange. There is something there.
PD: Dong Chan! Don’t raise an uproar.
DC: Why do I have to tell lies like that?!
DC: You knew as well, but just like the other people on the program, you didn’t try to find me either?
MR: Do we have to keep living this way?
MR: It’s really fascinating.
MR: Why were we locked in the freezer truck? Why (the truck)?
DC: Hey, are you okay? Mi Ran! Go Mi Ran! Hey! Wake up!
DC: I’m sorry.

So, second lead college boy is not doing it for me at all. He hasn't had much screen time, but DC is just too compelling as the male lead to take the second lead seriously at all. For me, at least.

In episode 4, DC mentions during their dinner that it feels as if they were back 20 years ago to him, but he realizes that while he hasn't been able to change that HY must have changed a lot. HY simply asks DC whether he still sees her as a woman to which he says yes. This seems to indicate that DC and HY may slowly start seeing each other.

However, the preview is showing DC's heartbreak as he realizes that the people closest to him, who knew that he had taken part in the experiment chose not to try to find him at all, and there was no mention of the experiment in the police reports or the media back then. That is the shock that DC feels in episode 4 as he's digging into the records from his past.

And, as angry as he is about what he sees as HK's betrayal, finding out about HY closing her eyes to the situation and taking the anchor job instead is going to hurt him so much. In DC's mental timeline, he's still in love with HY and so even with 20 years having flowed, his emotions were all still there. However, realizing that HY was willing to let him go without a word of protest, it'll force DC to re-evaluate what they really meant to each other, so that he can get over HY. I actually think that this is a decent way of wrapping up DC's feelings for HY, so that he can start developing some feelings for MR.

It's also curious as to why DC doesn't tell MR about the body temperature issue yet since DC gets confirmation about that in ep 4. I think the freezer truck in the preview may actually be DC's doing in order to make MR more comfortable if the weather is getting warmer.

The plot line about the scientist is still not resonating with me, and the introduction of the corporate heavy who is trying to erase the frozen human experiment feels as if it's written in too broadly comic strokes. However, perhaps it's too early to say. It still feels as if the drama is still setting up the various characters.

I'm still mostly watching for the leads rather than the story line or the world, but hopefully, it'll settle down further and make the story more of an emphasis versus the set up.

1 hour ago, tinymel said:

I'm glad that they added some conflict between MDC and NHY that will (eventually) lead them to part ways... and it is a conflict that isn't coming out of the blue. It will (hopefully) make the love story between MDC and GMR less "oh now we like each other" and more organic... but I'm never a fan of characters that fall in and out of love so quickly. 

IMHO, I'm not sure that these characters are falling in and out of love quickly. DC had these feelings for HY from before his period of being frozen, so it makes sense for him to have to resolve them. However, I was thinking about how I would feel if (even without a time jump) someone I thought loved me made no efforts on my behalf after I disappeared. It would make me look at that person in a new light and question the feelings that the person had for me, as well as whether I really knew him. Couple those questions with the DC's acceptance that 20 years had passed for HY to move on, and I can see him letting HY go.

As for MR, she was already pretty much over her boyfriend before she was thawed.

I think the organic part of DC and MR falling for each other will have something to do with the fact that they were in the experiment together and are now changed, possibly permanently. DC is a responsible person who already feels a lot of responsibility for MR, and with his discovery that their body physiology has changed, that sense of responsibility will only get bigger. MR is probably going to feel that DC may be the only one who truly understands her situation. And, it doesn't hurt that both DC and MR are attractive people as well. :)

• Like 15
  • Insightful 1

56 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

IMHO, I'm not sure that these characters are falling in and out of love quickly. DC had these feelings for HY from before his period of being frozen, so it makes sense for him to have to resolve them. However, I was thinking about how I would feel if (even without a time jump) someone I thought loved me made no efforts on my behalf after I disappeared. It would make me look at that person in a new light and question the feelings that the person had for me, as well as whether I really knew him. Couple those questions with the DC's acceptance that 20 years had passed for HY to move on, and I can see him letting HY go.

As for MR, she was already pretty much over her boyfriend before she was thawed.

I think the organic part of DC and MR falling for each other will have something to do with the fact that they were in the experiment together and are now changed, possibly permanently. DC is a responsible person who already feels a lot of responsibility for MR, and with his discovery that their body physiology has changed, that sense of responsibility will only get bigger. MR is probably going to feel that DC may be the only one who truly understands her situation. And, it doesn't hurt that both DC and MR are attractive people as well. :)

Agree. Especially about NHY's not doing anything and MDC being upset... (that was the conflict I was talking about)

GMR... hahaha... did she even like him to begin with? I think she was more in love with her Mando-pop Oppa... :P

I don't think it is happening "fast"--more that it could have been one of those "Oh we need to resolve NHY quickly so that we can get into the real love story" but they aren't going that route which is a relief. I think it will be a good love story; and, you are right, it doesn't hurt that they are both attractive... I mean wouldn't you?:D

• Like 4

2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Episode 5 preview

MR: So, you’re saying that I should be an intern for 3 months?
College Boy: Anyway I think about it, she’s strange. There is something there.
PD: Dong Chan! Don’t raise an uproar.
DC: Why do I have to tell lies like that?!
DC: You knew as well, but just like the other people on the program, you didn’t try to find me either?
MR: Do we have to keep living this way?
MR: It’s really fascinating.
MR: Why were we locked in the freezer truck? Why (the truck)?
DC: Hey, are you okay? Mi Ran! Go Mi Ran! Hey! Wake up!
DC: I’m sorry.

Thank you for the preview translation.

I haven't watched any of the episodes, been a little busy to catch up on weekend dramas.

I'm glad the romance will be starting soon for them. Also I'm really looking forward to how they are going to fix their temperature problem.

• Like 4

Why I love her character :yum::joy:

5d9a56870ca79888125160.gif?download

Spoiler

5d9a56f124e7e343385724.gif?download

5d9a571ca4ba9098237193.gif?download

5d9a56ccdc0fd425682704.gif?download

• Like 2
  • LOL 11

[Ratings] "Melting Me Softly" 6 October Episode 4 Broadcast:

Nielsen Korea: 3.201% National (+.038%); 3.250% Seoul (-.028%)
TNmS: 3.7% National (+0.5%)

Holding fairly steady so far.  Looks like the K-viewers are slowly warming up to the show!

• Like 6

@ktcjdrama the ex boyfriend is wasted in his job  all this imagination are in anther world:joy:

• Like 1
  • LOL 8

I’m really falling hard for this OTP. At the beginning of every story the main characters have always flaws or issues they need to deal with and the set-up serves as the catalyst. The cryogenic experiment showed that while Ma Dong Chan is a good person, he is also rather cocksure and selfish, caring only about his ambitions, goals and dreams, not really thinking about how his actions might affect others, be it his family, his girlfriend or co-workers. He is also basically friendless. The whole debacle really shows him what a huge jerk he’s been and deflates his ego which is a lesson he’s been long overdue. 

OWpgtAy.jpg

And the first time DC became concerned about another person was MR back in 1999 when he tried to stop her from participating in the experiment. She managed to stir something inside him, to finally put someone else before his own interests and this is where their story picks up 20 years later, with him worrying about her again. It’s her who manages to get through him to the point where he assumes responsibility for what happened after realizing that she will suffer after effects of the freezing which might put her life in danger. However, even before DC calls MR to immediately let him know whenever she feels sick, it’s the little things which reveal how much Dong Chan already cares about MR without even knowing it himself: the way he remembers her phone number by heart even though he previously couldn’t have been even bothered to learn her name, opening the car doors for her, pouring the iced water for her,…

UcXZ1SG.jpg

They are really made for each other because Dong Chan finally meets someone about who he cares more than himself and it’s only fitting that person ends up being Mi Ran who spent most of her youth caring about everyone else but herself. I really want to see Dong Chan cherish and treasure her and catter to her every need the way the precious girl deserves.

0x1Y5MH.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 3

6 hours ago, stroppyse said:

The plot line about the scientist is still not resonating with me, and the introduction of the corporate heavy who is trying to erase the frozen human experiment feels as if it's written in too broadly comic strokes. However, perhaps it's too early to say. It still feels as if the drama is still setting up the various characters.

Was it clear that the guy was the person funding the project? It was clear he was the one who ordered Prof to be killed. But one thing I am confused is that this guy is/was in the freezer capsule also??

• Like 4
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Was it clear that the guy was the person funding the project? It was clear he was the one who ordered Prof to be killed. But one thing I am confused is that this guy is/was in the freezer capsule also??

It wasn't very clear to me either whether he was funding the  original research or not. I could see him having been in the frozen capsule as well. And as you say, though, it is clear that he was the one who wanted the prof killed and the research removed. It could be that he wanted evidence of what he had done to be erased?

The assistant scientist had mentioned that the professor had wanted to do the person freezing experiment just using Korean knowledge and technology, and that having to ask for foreign help actually obviated that aspect of the experiment.

I do hope they give us more answers about this soon so that we can at least have the pieces together of what is happening rather than just making it a bit of a running joke or something.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

It wasn't very clear to me either whether he was funding the  original research or not. I could see him having been in the frozen capsule as well. And as you say, though, it is clear that he was the one who wanted the prof killed and the research removed. It could be that he wanted evidence of what he had done to be erased?

Could be twins, the evil twin had taken over the corporation while the good twin (probably the investor as well) took part in the experiment.

• Like 4
  • Awesome 2

I am not understanding how TMNS is calculating their ratings numbers these days.  According to the photos posted earlier, they're saying that Episode 4 garnered a 3.7% nationwide rating.  All the other news portals are still showing a 3.2% for Episode 4.

EGPOG1GVAAAvuNo.jpg

One good thing to learn is that the aggregate ratings are being boosted by that all-important "Women in Their 40s" viewing category, which helped with its own 5.4% ratings value for Episode 4 (last paragraph below).  Way to go, Ahjummas! :lol:

EGPOG1IU8AEL1ca.jpg

• Like 2

Help.

I’m trying to get into the show and I will say the storyline is interesting — I want to know what the mysteries surrounding the cryogenics project and the killing in the US were about, and I certainly want to know how they will resolve this matter of hypothermia they’re experiencing now — but the storytelling is so sloppy! If they were to reduce the amount of slapstick (very cheap humour and unnecessary overacting) and be clearer in their flow and sequencing of events, it would be so much better! The scenes don’t flow well, resulting in many knowledge gaps.

Again, I’m lamenting — how can this be JCW’s comeback?? :bawling:

• Like 2

Just finished Ep 4 and I like it! I didn't like the humor they tried to inject to the scenes with the professor, but otherwise, the rest are cute and funny. Am looking forward to seeing what happens between DC and HY and also MR and her classmates. One of the 2 guys  is really cute (acted by Bo-Min)!  Also want to see more of MDC's family.

The plot is warming up...LOL...and I think the actors make the show watchable. Really like WJA. I don't find her acting OTT as some are saying. 

Can't wait for next week! :lol:

• Like 3

19 hours ago, tinymel said:

Ep 4...

The tone is still iffy... which was hard for me in this episode. I ended up skipping around--mainly the slapstick stuff. [Deleted]

I'm finding the writing for MDC all over the place--they are trying to get his character to do too much. Not really able to say more than that... JWC pulling his scenes along through sheer force of will in some cases (but he looks like he is having a blast!).

[Deleted]

Other than tone and pacing, the real flaw of this drama is that there are too many characters. [Deleted]

Thanks for this post. Agree, agree, agree... I feel like the weak storytelling is totally squandering the talent in the cast. I find that every other character (save MDC and GMR perhaps) is just overacting, probably through poor direction because I've seen them in other productions before and that's not how they've carried their other characters before, even in comedies. There are pockets of good comedy delivered purely through good lines, but by and large, the director seems to think that the only type of humour audiences would respond to is low brow slapstick. It's very disappointing, really. I wonder how the Korean audience is taking to this as well. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

After watching episodes 3 and 4, I have some questions that I really hope get answered before the show ends.

I understand that 20 years has passed. But to me it seems that EVERYBODY that was close to them have aged horribly. I think the writers have done this on purpose. To show the consequence of how they handled things. The only people who gave a valiant effort to find them were their immediate families, although I found it strange that GMR's family told her friends that she moved to the US. Why? What did they hope to gain from this lie?

I also found the fact that MDC's father passed was indicative of how his family turned out. I noticed in the first episode that he seemed to be the only one diligently working besides the father. When they had that dinner where the brother was frantically playing the piano and the sister was singing, It was clear they were out of touch with reality. Were they even working then? I get the impression the father was hoping MDC would continue to do well as a producer to take some of the load off of him. The rest of the family was bleeding him dry as he appeared to be the only breadwinner outside of MDC. With MDC gone, I suppose it was just too much for the father to handle alone. With four able-bodied adults living together, it makes no sense they are all sharing that small apartment over the restaurant. They don't have to live in luxury, but they could be living better than that. 

As far as GMR, it is odd to me that her friends would believe that she up and left and NEVER contacted them, or came home for a holiday. That just doesn't make sense. I love her relationship with her brother and I also love that she has barely been awake a week and already she is looking to continue college and get a job. It is this quality that MDC is going to fall for. GMR is not like his siblings or even his ex. She doesn't feel that anyone owes her anything, except her lost time. She is very forward-moving and independent and that is going to appeal to MDC. I get the feeling in the past that the main reason his ex was involved with him was because he came from a comfortable family and was making a good living as a successful variety show producer. She wanted that life. I always got the feeling that she was more in love with him than he was with her. His job back then made it hard for him to really have a personal life. Since they both worked at the same network, it gave her more access to him, but given more options, whose to say MDC may not have chosen someone else.

As far as MDC's sunbaes, the station, his colleagues, I find them all repugnant. They all worked together to cover up the experiment and now coincidentally, they all have positions and titles within the company. They sold him out for their current jobs, just like his ex sold him out to become an anchor. Their silence kept MDC and GMR frozen for all of these years and I believe that the truth is going to come out. MDC is clearly excellent at variety shows. He came up with ideas for shows that are already successful that he doesn't even know about. I believe MDC and GMR will end up producing a show about what happened to them and in the process the truth of the cover up will come out. There is definitely more to this than what has already been revealed. Look at what happened to the doctor. Not only does he not remember anything, he is acting as though he is suffering brain loss.

• Like 5

I think I might be the only one who really enjoys this show as it is.... I find the sad scenes really heart breaking (GMR reunion with her family) and yet I still like the sudden transition from sad to humour for MDC's family. I find it a breath of fresh air from other really serious shows (currently watching A Place In The Sun).

Then again it's a ridiculous situation to get frozen and wake up 20 years later... tbh this show would be so heavy if there wasn't humour in it. I would have dropped it early if that was the case.

• Like 5