[Drama 2019] My Country, 나의 나라

0ly40

Of all the drama that is airing right now I'm really anticipating this one even though I didn't much care about it before airing and during promotion but I already knew that it would be great. It seems like I'm not gonna see Seon Ho's gorgeous long hair for a while since it would be covered by a hat tsktsk. I want all episodes out but at the same time I'm happy I have something to look forward to every week. Everything is so good so far especially with the acting, directing, and cinematography I can't wait for more. I hope when the medic man said that Seon Ho has to "drink 5 cups of poison if he ever wishes to die" is not a foreshadowing of what's gonna happen in the end especially considering the historical context :( 

• Love 2

8 hours ago, mademoisellesia said:

As for Yi Bang Won, Wikipedia indicated that he killed/exiled many of his supporters that helped him ascend to the throne to strengthen the royal authority. He even killed his son, Sejong's in-law, to weaken the in-law's power. It reminds me of the talk of the "greater cause" (daeui) in episode 4 and that's why they say the king (or the leader of a country) is always lonely. They have to be good, do good, but they also have to be evil, make difficult decisions and sacrifice lives for the greater good when the circumstances called for it.

Yes, because Yi Bang Won believe in Ultimate Monarchy. We get the hint of it when he said to Nam Jeon that this new country is not his though he helped a lot but his father's country which makes it it is his country. As opposed to his father who believe more on democracy kind of ruling and he believes his devoted followers. These different ideology is what makes this father-son go against each other. 

8 hours ago, herina_90 said:

I actually saw some truth in this... the way she is now, the Yeon that Hwi knew has "died" as she has no memories of them. To some extent, this might be saving her from her painful memories, but when she does remember, she might be even more distraught that she forgot. Maybe Sun Ho wanted Hwi to truly not return so as to save his life, and also save Yeon's life by not coming back to remind her of the past. 

yup, we can see when he told Hwi Yeon is dead we get the flashback on the day he brought Yeon home and what Nam Jeon told him. He did that to save Hwi. His style might looks evil but he is protecting his friend in his own way

Done binge watch Ep 3 & 4. OMG this drama is getting better. In My opinion they cast the right actor to potray the kind hearted Hwi and the complicated Seon Ho. Yang Se Jong really good at moving viewers hearts during his sad scenes and Woo Do Hwan is doing great at making we keep questioning what is his motive and let us into his inner conflicts with his looks. His eye acting is on point. Like most of us here, I cannot hate him as I kind of understand where he is coming from. 

I want to know how this two will mend their 'broken friendship' and will jealousy plays a role later when Hui Jae gets into the picture. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

That was a better episode but I really wish the ML would get some more colour to his character in the coming episodes and it would have been better for the story imo to have some of these flashbacks in earlier episodes.

I sort of miss how older shows used to do these dramas - with the first 3-5 episodes solely focusing on the characters growing up so you're really into the characters by the time all the big events come along

• Like 2

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFqlBK66ZyjHVGM2cLgvcmaxresdefault.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQC9hHTGoaAhHbmipini9-

Misunderstood...

I agree with some here that even ones actions might seem one way.  Yet if you look deeper at those roots that were formed between them long ago when they were just a couple of boys brought together by compassion and situations in how each of them suffered alone and even together.  It's not about the good and evil between them but in the real evil that surrounds them in others and the time in which they live...

At the sign up why did NSH stand out and protect SJ and his sister by threatening and telling who he was?

Because SJ is the only real friend he ever had and maybe the only real family.

Why did he choose SJ to join him and the general on that hunting day?

To make a way for him to compete and stand out to give him that chance he deserved.

Why did NSH send him off to the army?

Simply to get him as far away from his father and save his life.  For there was no other way to protect him when he can't even protect himself.

Why was NSH there hurting while watching SJ being taken away and getting his Sister to safety?

Because he knew SJ's only thoughts would be his sisters safety.

Why did he save SJ's life when he was sent there to kill all those there and took the sward  for him instead.

There is no greater love than laying ones life down for your brother.

Why did he tell SJ his sister was dead?

So that he wouldn't be hurt in knowing she didn't remember him and NSH knew she was safe where she was and he just wanted SJ to stay safe too. 

It may seem like one is good and the other is evil.

But I don't think so, more like it's just misunderstandings instead of knowing what is underneath in either of their hearts.

For NSH showed his heart long ago as just a little boy who understood the loss of a parent.

In bringing clothes and digging a grave in the rain showing compassion to another little boy who lost his parent painfully too. 

It's for those very reasons that SJ got on his knees and carried NSH and saved him right back.

Some bonds although hidden that maybe can't be shown outwardly as such doesn't mean they aren't there.

No matter if they are near or far I am hoping their bond never brakes.

That they hold onto their memories and their friendship...

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 2

@USAFarmgirl Spot on! I also wrote in an earlier post that WDH's character, Sun Ho, seems to only have two objectives and he is trying to balance it - to gain power so he can break free from his father's control, and to protect Hwi. All of his decisions so far have been to do both, and although he sent Hwi to war, it was to protect him because. It was between killing Hwi or sending Hwi to the battlefield.

I also agree with you on your thoughts why Sun Ho chose to tell Hwi that his sister is dead. 

I'm not saying Sun Ho is always right but that he is making decisions from his own perspective, which then leads to him hurting others like Hwi. Hwi, on the other hand, not only thinks of his own interests but also that of others. Overall, the history of their friendship, as shown so far, is just to precious. I hope they find a way in the future to make up and that none of them would have to sacrifice and die, but then again, who am I kidding? Someone's bound to die right and the series is going to be painful at one point. We just don't know who'll die and what sacrifices they're going to make. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, anony12345 said:

That was a better episode but I really wish the ML would get some more colour to his character in the coming episodes and it would have been better for the story imo to have some of these flashbacks in earlier episodes.

I sort of miss how older shows used to do these dramas - with the first 3-5 episodes solely focusing on the characters growing up so you're really into the characters by the time all the big events come along

We need to consider this drama has only 16 episodes. If it takes 3-5 episodes for character building, everything else will be a rush. Most saeguks has longer episodes (20-50 eps) so they have ample of time for character building and such. I think the drama did fair with the backstrory and character building for a 16 eps drama. The pace is also good. 

• Like 2

First time to watched a historical kdrama, wasnt keen on it seem i though i might not understand all the details, and turns out to be true.  Many characters and i cant determine what ones relatio ship with is to the other, their motives, which one is the bad guy etc.

1) when Hwi was forcibly shipped off to the military, was he and Nam seon fighting on the same side - camp of Gen Yi Seong Gyo?  Or was Hwi fighting on the side of the current King?

It seemed to be, because they sent messages to each other via arrows.

But why was the other camp ordered to be completely killed if they were on the same side?

2) BangWon told Nam Jeon that Seo Geom was supposed to be on the Gen.'s side?  Does this mean he thinks that Nam Jeon killed Seo geom?

3) why is Hwi considered poor if his father was a commander and famous swordsman? Or was it because he died via suicide and thus they ended up being poor?

4) did Hwi agree to the deal so that he can get Yeon back, so Nam Jeon would stop holding her hostage?

• Like 3

13 hours ago, writteninthestars09 said:

Does anyone have info on when they will release the OST ? Part 1 is usually out on the 2nd week of airing, isn’t it? I haven’t seen any updates yet as of now. 

It's coming out on 19 Oct at 1800 KST.

Title: Because It's You / 그건 너이니까
Singer: Jung Seung Hwan 

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20191012

http://sports.chosun.com/news/ntype.htm?id=201910130100094650006606&servicedate=20191012

7 hours ago, cherriesblue said:

First time to watched a historical kdrama, wasnt keen on it seem i though i might not understand all the details, and turns out to be true.  Many characters and i cant determine what ones relatio ship with is to the other, their motives, which one is the bad guy etc.

1) when Hwi was forcibly shipped off to the military, was he and Nam seon fighting on the same side - camp of Gen Yi Seong Gyo?  Or was Hwi fighting on the side of the current King?

But why was the other camp ordered to be completely killed if they were on the same side?

2) BangWon told Nam Jeon that Seo Geom was supposed to be on the Gen.'s side?  Does this mean he thinks that Nam Jeon killed Seo geom?

3) why is Hwi considered poor if his father was a commander and famous swordsman? Or was it because he died via suicide and thus they ended up being poor?

4) did Hwi agree to the deal so that he can get Yeon back, so Nam Jeon would stop holding her hostage?

1) Actually both General Yi Seong-gye and the current king are on the same side at this point of time, which means the same side as Hwi. The current king ordered General Yi to seize the land across the river from China. So I think the reason why General Yi wants to kill the advance party is because  he does not want them to reveal his plans of going back to the palace to revolt? Coz Hwi's gang saw them packing up preparing to leave. Not really sure but this is my best guess.

2) Yes I actually think so too.

3) Hwi's father was framed for corruption or something, and sentenced to death. Thus at his point of death, his title of being a commander had been removed, and his descendants were deemed children of a dishonored man, thus they had to live with a low status.

4) Looks like it at this point of time, we have to see more of this as it goes along.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

@cherriesblue  Welcome to historical kdrama hope this experience allows you to watch many more.  Although most are fiction still most are rich in value.   Filled with traditions, music, costumes, beautiful scenery and a glimpse of people and places allowing us to escape into the past.  Where stories are colorful and unique and that touch you in ways you can't imagine.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxt-Ga0-fvyr-XnQNFauS

There are others here who are much better than I in answering your questions but here are my thoughts as well.

1. They were suppose to be on the same side all fighting for the king.  But the General was planning to overthrow the king and those 75 or so survivors were considered expendable and a threat to the plan and so were those he was sending in to kill them.  Including HSJ whose own father was willing to sacrifice him because he isn't and never has been thought of as a real son but instead a pawn to be used at will.  For his revenge and ideas of a new country and his own power and greed.

2. I believe BW meant by his side meaning that NJ had taken SG's place.  In my thoughts letting it be said loud and clear by BW I know who you are and what you have done and this isn't your country and never will be.  From what little we know I believe SG was a good man, leader and father total opposite of NJ and he molded a great son in SJ no doubt...

For most times an apple doesn't fall far from the tree in which it grew...

3. SG took his own life not by guilt but in protecting his children and maybe others in the only way he knew how.  Both very young and no way of making a living for themselves.  Poverty and loss of status comes quickly when both parents are gone and the whole world sees your father as something other than what he was and his family as nothing.

4. I am not sure what NJ's deal was other than making SJ feel as if he had nothing to offer his sister but less and in protecting her to keep her in comfort and safe.  As for HSJ he has his own agenda and it would seem he is tired of having no power of his own to be able to protect SJ and those he loves even himself.

My guess only... Wanting BW dead at the hand of SJ might be his way but I have a feeling it just won't work because SJ will soon find out the kind of man BW is an maybe what kind of relationship he had with his father if any?  I wondered did BW have a tattoo on his arm LOL most likely not.  As most royals and nobles didn't blemish their skin but it did come to my mind when BW mentioned SG.  Not to mention BW is much more capable than what he allows those around him to see LOL! 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

16 hours ago, cherriesblue said:

1) Hwi was dispatched to as the advanced army team . This team is led by General Choi and the King to attack Liaodong. Then the King asked General Yi Seong Gye to standby as back up unit at Wihwado (Wihwa Island) to assist the advanced party. That is why Hwi is giving messages throu the arrow across the Amok river. But then, General Yi changed his mind when he thinks that it is useless to attack Liaodong as it will bring more harm than benefit, that is why he decided to retreat and make a Coup D'Etat. You can read about Wihwado Retreat. It is one of the famous historical event in South Korea History. 

2) Yes, I think Bang Won suspected Nam Jeon. If you watch properly, Seo Geom's used to be the leader of North Allegiance Army which is under Yi Seong Gye and Nam Jeon is only the Commander of Royal Stable. Not to forget Nam Jeon also is a great swordsman of Goryeo so it is more logical he is the right hand man of Yi Seong gye rather than Nam Jeon. 

3) Eventhough Seo Geom is a high ranking army commander and a great swordsman but he did not live a lavish life. He takes care of his army well being and ration first before him. He will give some of his rations to them first and only take some for himself. That is why he was charged stealing nation's ration (though this must be a rumor coz a good person like will not do it unless desperate). Before he died, they gave him option. To go into the cauldron and burned alive or admit his mistake and suicide in exchange his kids will get to continue living as the status they were in. He chose the later but it was all a lie. His kids is being strip down from their status and force to live as a very low class. They called them ghost and said that their dad is a traitor. Hence the poor lifestyle they were living in. 

4) This is too early to tell. Hwi managed to read the secret letter in his father's armour suit but we have yet to learn what is it. Maybe he has no choice. To Hwi his sister's wellbeing is more important than anything. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

3 hours ago, liltash85 said:

But then, General Yi changed his mind when he thinks that it is useless to attack Liaodong as it will bring more harm than benefit, that is why he decided to retreat and make a Coup D'Etat.

I see, but why did they have to kill the advance party themselves? Why didn't they call the remaining men with Hwi so they can all retreat? Is it so they would have a reason to retreat? Like, their advance party was entirely killed so they had to retreat? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lollyminx said:

I see, but why did they have to kill the advance party themselves? Why didn't they call the remaining men with Hwi so they can all retreat? Is it so they would have a reason to retreat? Like, their advance party was entirely killed so they had to retreat? 

Because the advance party is led by General Choi and the King. General Yi Seung Gye wants to take over the country so he must eliminate whoever that can be a witness or can be a threat to his Coup D’Etat. That is why Nam Jeon also instructed those who came back from killing the advance party also being killed. Because this group also can be a threat or witness to his decision. This is a game of power. You can learn more about Wihwado retreat and Yi seung Gye in wikipedia 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Did anyone find the scene which YBW and gang were ambushed in the forest so abrupt? Previous ep we saw them starting their trip,  and then suddenly HJ was fighting against the bad guys, the queen already injured, and YBW's bun became disheveled.

20191014_175933_9553.jpg

20191014_175945_2294.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1