Quantcast
Jump to content
0ly40

[Drama 2019] My Country, 나의 나라

Recommended Posts

Btw just a bit of background history about Yi Bang-won:

 

The child whom we saw him patting to sleep in ep 6 was his daughter. In 1392, he had 2 daughters. By right, he should also have 3 other sons at this time but all were reported to have died young. I suspect they were killed by his political rivals (maybe someone from the current Queen's side?). It was only later that his subsequent sons managed to survive.

 

20191018_150927_8509.jpg

  • Like 7
  • Insightful 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

I suspect they were killed by his political rivals (maybe someone from the current Queen's side?). It was only later that his subsequent sons managed to survive.

 

 

Child mortality rate in that time period was very high. Only 50% children manged to reach adulthood while nearly 25% women died during childbirth. Each women had to birth atleast 6 children to keep the population intact. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fiesty8001 said:

Child mortality rate in that time period was very high. Only 50% children manged to reach adulthood while nearly 25% women died during childbirth. Each women had to birth atleast 6 children to keep the population intact. 

 

Nah but his first 2 daughters survived yet his next 3 sons all died one after the other? Too much of a coincidence here. Maybe I watched too much palace dramas, but that's what I think haha.

 

----------------------------------------------

 

Moral of the story - don't fool with YBW the future king hahaha

 

EHUNeh8UcAEAin3?format=jpg&name=large

 

Spoiler

EHUNfKNU8AAGsEg?format=jpg&name=large

EHUNfrHVUAAboO2?format=jpg&name=large

EHUNgHHU8AA8E_S?format=jpg&name=large

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

 

Nah but his first 2 daughters survived yet his next 3 sons all died one after the other? Too much of a coincidence here. Maybe I watched too much palace dramas, but that's what I think haha.

My great-grandmother lost 4 sons in row while her two daughters survived. Later she also had more children(both girl and boy). Too much coincidence here?:wacko:

I don't think conspiracy angle would be valid in the situation of LBW. 

Did you watch Chinese palace dramas? 

 

28 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Moral of the story - don't fool with YBW the future king hahaha

 

So do you think murderer of his kids would remain intact under his gaze?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, fiesty8001 said:

My great-grandmother lost 4 sons in row while her two daughters survived. Later she also had more children(both girl and boy). Too much coincidence here?:wacko:

I don't think conspiracy angle would be valid in the situation of LBW. 

Did you watch Chinese palace dramas? 

 

So do you think murderer of his kids would remain intact under his gaze?

 

Yeah Chinese palace dramas always have concubines plotting to kill each others' sons, so it is hard for a young boy to survive in the palace. Some tried to cause miscarriages , some tried to swop newborn boys with girls etc.

 

Nah my 2 above posts were unrelated, but a mod merged them together.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was curious about the bandage Hee Jae gave Hwi so I re-watched episode 1 again. A brief glimpse but I believe I can still see the worn out bandage tied around Hwi's bow. So for ten years, that worn out piece stays with Hwi as a symbol of him loving Hee Jae.

 

I should be glad knowing that. But I am scared.His three brothers are still there with him but I am scared of what might happen with Hee Jae because Hwi goes into the fight with Seon Ho like he has nothing to lose anymore, nothing to hold on to.  Lady Seo warned Hee Jae about consequences when she stepped in because of Hwi. I just hope she can be safe and stay by Hwi's side.

 

But the Hwi I see in episode 1 is very different. A hardened, experienced warrior - not the gentle Hwi anymore. Up to episode 6, I still see gentle traits in him despite of all the hardship in his life. So I am curious but also terrified of what happens that makes him the warrior who led the attack in the film opening. The death of his sister - or Hee Jae also?

 

A wishful thinking, I know, but I just hope Hwi can walk away from all political plots with the woman who is willing to give up everything for him. As for Yeon, my hunch is that she won''t survive by sacrificing herself for Seon Ho.

Edited by melp
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, melp said:

I was curious about the bandage Hee Jae gave Hwi so I re-watched episode 1 again. A brief glimpse but I believe I can still see the worn out bandage tied around Hwi's bow. So for ten years, that worn out piece stays with Hwi as a symbol of him loving Hee Jae.

 

I should be glad knowing that. But I am scared.His three brothers are still there with him but I am scared of what might happen with Hee Jae because Hwi goes into the fight with Seon Ho like he has nothing to lose anymore, nothing to hold on to.  Lady Seo warned Hee Jae about consequences when she stepped in because of Hwi. I just hope she can be safe and stay by Hwi's side.

 

But the Hwi I see in episode 1 is very different. A hardened, experienced warrior - not the gentle Hwi anymore. Up to episode 6, I still see gentle traits in him despite of all the hardship in his life. So I am curious but also terrified of what happens that makes him the warrior who led the attack in the film opening. The death of his sister - or Hee Jae also?

 

A wishful thinking, I know, but I just hope Hwi can walk away from all political plots with the woman who is willing to give up everything for him. As for Yeon, my hunch is that she won''t survive by sacrificing herself for Seon Ho.

 

And that's exactly how his character was described "his life devolves into a hellish existence, but he still holds a smile." Indeed there is much character change, from someone who is not really ambitious, would be satisfied if he gets enough rice, and views his country as anywhere with enough food. Someone who is not looking forward to more than fulfilling the daily necessities of life. To someone who is going against his will, killing, sacrificing everything. And I believe there's more to come to his character, a twist maybe. 

 

For me, I don't think Heejae will die, at least not until the last episode, as she is the main female lead. I'm afraid Yeon is the one who's dying which will be the transformation point for Hwi, who might team with Bang won, instead of the initial plan of killing him. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a bit disappointing to hear that this series was planned for 20 episodes, but has been cut down to 16. I feel like an extra 4 episodes would of greatly benefited the pacing issues.

 

An extra 4 episodes potentially would've given us: an extended arc of Hwi at Liaodong, Yi Seong-gye's coup and fleshing out of our trio's initial relationship dynamics--all which were glossed after and I feel like it would've been valuable as a foundation of the story. That would be my dream shopping list for this show, anyway.

 

And oh boy, Hwi has been just taking it, left right, and center since he's gotten back. "Hell was engraved all over Hwi's body". I'm all for a tragic protagonist, but sadly it all feels a bit contrived. I've echoed this before we're just missing the proper build up for his character to be at the point he is now. Yes, he got sent to war. Yes, Nam Jeon is threatening him with his sister. Yes, his sister also happened to get amnesia... However, all this happened in a span of one episode and a bit and it really needed some more time. Undoubtedly, Hwi's characterization suffered the most with the pacing.

 

All the criticisms aside, this series is actually the one I'm most excited about every week lol. The soundtracks a banger, the sets, the cinematography remain to be beautiful. All our main leads are equally likable and compelling. Seun-ho, high-born, but an illegitimate child with clear family issues, thirsty for power to be able to stand up for himself. Hwi, low-born, who just wants to live a peaceful normal life but is forced to take action, as him and his family has been getting politically hand-balled around. Hee Jae, resident political activist, raised in a kisaeng house (yet not a kisaeng) seeking reasons to why her family was persecuted, and also wanting power to be able to do more. It's compelling to see these characters, on different sides of the board, navigating in this heated political climate.

 

Personally, I'm all for team Hee Jae. She's intelligent, observant, has clear goals and gets things done, not afraid to throw some sick burns at Bang Won, but she's not without flaws. She has her moments of hubris she got burnt for it. She owns up to it to Seol too. All the boys be out for her too (well Seun-ho anyway), but she's LOYAL. I would've like to see an extended journey of her becoming the Queen's trusted subject, but it was not to be. I'm definitely interested to see how things play out with Hwi's inevitable allegiance with Bang Won, when she's sworn her loyalty with the Queen.

 

I really did wish this series was proper sageuk length. Even an additional 6 episodes to flesh out events that happened from Episode 2 until now and it would be happy days.

Edited by byof
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, byof said:

It's a bit disappointing to hear that this series was planned for 20 episodes, but has been cut down to 16. I feel like an extra 4 episodes would of greatly benefited the pacing issues.

 

An extra 4 episodes potentially would've given us: an extended arc of Hwi at Liaodong, Yi Seong-gye's coup and fleshing out of our trio's initial relationship dynamics--all which were glossed after and I feel like it would've been valuable as a foundation of the story. That would be my dream shopping list for this show, anyway.

 

And oh boy, Hwi has been just taking it, left right, and center since he's gotten back. "Hell was engraved all over Hwi's body". I'm all for a tragic protagonist, but sadly it all feels a bit contrived. I've echoed this before we're just missing the proper build up for his character to be at the point he is now. Yes, he got sent to war. Yes, Nam Jeon is threatening him with his sister. Yes, his sister also happened to get amnesia... However, all this happened in a span of one episode and a bit and it really needed some more time. Undoubtedly, Hwi's characterization suffered the most with the pacing.

 

All the criticisms aside, this series is actually the one I'm most excited about every week lol. The soundtracks a banger, the sets, the cinematography remain to be beautiful. All our main leads are equally likable and compelling. Seun-ho, high-born, but an illegitimate child with clear family issues, thirsty for power to be able to stand up for himself. Hwi, low-born, who just wants to live a peaceful normal life but is forced to take action, as him and his family has been getting politically hand-balled around. Hee Jae, resident political activist, raised in a kisaeng house (yet not a kisaeng) seeking reasons to why her family was persecuted, and also wanting power to be able to do more. It's compelling to see these characters, on different sides of the board, navigating in this heated political climate.

 

Personally, I'm all for team Hee Jae. She's intelligent, observant, has clear goals and gets things done, not afraid to throw some sick burns at Bang Won, but she's not without flaws. She has her moments of hubris she got burnt for it. She owns up to it to Seol too. All the boys be out for her too (well Seun-ho anyway), but she's LOYAL. I would've like to see an extended journey of her becoming the Queen's trusted subject, but it was not to be. I'm definitely interested to see how things play out with Hwi's inevitable allegiance with Bang Won, when she's sworn her loyalty with the Queen.

 

I really did wish this series was proper sageuk length. Even an additional 6 episodes to flesh out events that happened from Episode 2 until now and it would be happy days.

 

I also wish to see a proper journey but I guess we will have to make do of what we have, unfortunately.

 

Hee Jae is my favorite character in this drama so far too. She is a not a typical damsel in distress; she speaks her mind and takes action rather than saying empty words. She wants justice and equality. What I like more about her is when she tells Hwi she will go to his world, meaning she will fight for their relationship and be with him even if it means she has to give up the seemingly comfortable life she is having now.  With Hwi, she is so caring, gentle and understanding; she has not given up on the hope that he is still alive even though he is listed as dead.

 

She is not a character without flaws; there are times when she can make hasty decisions, be overconfident, naive  or make wrong judgment. But overall, she has a strong personality and good nature. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is going to be long, bear with me, I've got to get this off my chest.....and share it!

 

Even though there are many remarkable scenes in this drama there are 5 that stand out in my memory and make me go back and re-watch them again and again.

 

The first is in Ihwaru the kisaeng house when Seo Whi and Hee Jae are hiding from the capitol police lieutenant.  They are both changing into different clothes, and Seo Whi is seeing Hee Jae changing from a “young man” into a beautiful woman for the first time.  As she undresses, he sees her delicate back and shoulders through a thin, silk blouse. In filmy slow motion she puts on a dress, and his mouth opens in wonder and surprise and he drops his gaze.  Her long, luxurious hair falls down and he peeks at her again under the brim of his hat and she turns to look at him, the transformation complete – she is a beautiful young woman – and he can’t even look at her.  This scene just captivated me (along with the silky, oriental background music) and the way it was filmed was both sensuous and dangerous at the same time.  What a beautiful way to introduce Seolhyun’s/Hee Jae’s beauty at a moment of extreme tension.  Classic!   Sun Ho’s subsequent dressing down of the arrogant lieutenant was pretty awesome, also!

 

Second, the first kiss scene.  Who didn’t feel their heart leap?  Two young people discovering love for the first time without a clue how to handle what they feel for each other?  One tentative kiss, then a second that was soft and gentle.  Gawsh!  Seolhyun’s eyes were luminous, captivating.

 

Third is the big battle scene.  Most of you probably don't like war and the chaos of battle, but for me, a man, a good historical drama needs believeable battle scenes and slashing, singing swords with a proper amount of blood splatter and gore!  This battle scene does it for me.  Especially The scene that starts where Seo Whi is standing alone, in shock, in disbelief of the carnage going on around him.  He is in the pit of despair and ready to die.  Then he turns to see the lieutenant running toward him with sword drawn.  He probably thinks the lieutenant is going to kill him, but instead the lieutenant slashes an enemy with his sword, slaps Seo Whi across the face and shouts, “Snap out of it!  Take this bow. Shoot them!”  Seo Whi nods dumbly, grabs the bow and follows the lieutenant into battle.   The next sequence is probably one of the most powerful battle scenes I’ve ever watched.  My honest appreciation and awe to the director and cinematographer who shot it.  Filmed with a shaky, hand-held portable camera it places you right there with Seo Whi and the lieutenant as they fight together to survive.  Arrows fly, swords clash, men scream and die. This is a turning point where Seo Whi stops being just a poor hunter and becomes the warrior he has hidden inside and trained for all his life. He decides to fight for his life!  If you watch closely, his future 2 best buddies Jeong-beom and Moon-bok are also introduced as men fighting alongside him.  This film sequence showed the chaos, confusion, the waste, the horror and the hell of the war Seo Whi had to endure.  But it also shows his change from a poor hunter/blacksmith into the warrior he had inside him since birth.  It showed him decide to fight for his life to get back to his sister and Hee Jae.  A battle scene like this in a movie has to be choreographed like a complicated dance, with many moving parts and split-second timing.  I am impressed by the work and skill of the production company and the actors involved to pull this off.  It probably took weeks just to film a few minutes on the screen, but the impact was enormous.

 

Fourth – after a long time Seo Whi and Hee Jae meet again.  She sees him assassinate the general.  She realizes he has survived, but he turns her away.  This meeting was seriously emotional, especially when she says, “When I fell asleep for a moment I saw you, I stayed up all night because I missed you.  I wanted to close my eyes again so I could see you, but you  were just a dream.  This isn’t a dream, right?”

Awwww!  Then after he cruelly tells her he never thought about her, she thanks him - for staying alive!

Ugh, this girl.  She’s too perfect.   

But then she is sitting next to Hwa Wol’s bed.  Hwa Wol asks  about her meeting with Seo Whi.  Hee Jae says, tears falling,”I felt as if hell was engraved all over Hwi’s body.  I felt like I could hear each of his scars screaming. It broke my heart.  His sad eyes broke my heart more – than all the cruel words he said.  They pierced my heart like sharp blades.  I have no power.  I should not have  stepped in.  I shouldn’t have let him go like that!” And then she breaks down crying with sobs of grief.  If this scene didn’t tear at your heart strings – you have no feelings!     

 

Fifth – Hee Jae sneeks out to Seo Whi’s hideout.  After he tells her to leave and threatens to shoot her with his bow and she sees the silk ribbon attached to his bow, old, burned, worn out.  “You said you forgot it all.  You said it’s meaningless.” Then she runs to grab hold of him from behind.  Tearfully she says, “I will protect you from now on.  I’ll never lose you again."  Seo Whi says,”The world you live in, I’ll have to die to get there”.  She says, “Forget the girl who used to put up the posters.  In front of Bang Won we’re complete strangers.  And I won’t step in without your permission.  Then I’ll go to where you are.  No one will find out.”   She has a plan to save them both.  She has the power to save them both.  And she is NOT giving up on THEM! 

 

All in all, I am caught up in this drama.  It is magnificent.  I hope this journey ends well for us all!

  • Like 7
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, luvtokki said:

This is going to be long, bear with me, I've got to get this off my chest.....and share it!

 

Even though there are many remarkable scenes in this drama there are 5 that stand out in my memory and make me go back and re-watch them again and again.

 

The first is in Ihwaru the kisaeng house when Seo Whi and Hee Jae are hiding from the capitol police lieutenant.  They are both changing into different clothes, and Seo Whi is seeing Hee Jae changing from a “young man” into a beautiful woman for the first time.  As she undresses, he sees her delicate back and shoulders through a thin, silk blouse. In filmy slow motion she puts on a dress, and his mouth opens in wonder and surprise and he drops his gaze.  Her long, luxurious hair falls down and he peeks at her again under the brim of his hat and she turns to look at him, the transformation complete – she is a beautiful young woman – and he can’t even look at her.  This scene just captivated me (along with the silky, oriental background music) and the way it was filmed was both sensuous and dangerous at the same time.  What a beautiful way to introduce Seolhyun’s/Hee Jae’s beauty at a moment of extreme tension.  Classic!   Sun Ho’s subsequent dressing down of the arrogant lieutenant was pretty awesome, also!

 

 

I do think that Seo Hwi was mesmerised by Hee Jae when realizing she is a girl - a beautiful and strong-minded girl. The way he doesn't even dare to look at her in the eyes but can't help glancing over to see her transformation means a lot  -  as a man, he just can't help it.  I like the way Hee Jae turns around and looks back at Hwi with confidence - it is not a scene that Hwi can ever forget. It is probably too soon to say Hwi is a goner at that moment but it is initial attraction that is even more subtle and meaningful than when Sun Ho was open-mouthed upon realizing Hee Jae was a girl in disguise.

 

It is a really well-shot scene

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, I love the opening music of this drama, and the one played when Hwi's friend march on the prince's palace (latest episode). I think I heard it somewhere, but I cannot pinpoint where. Do you know the title of the song?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really not affected with the fact that they cut it from 20 episodes to 16 since every episode airs for like almost 1 hour and 30 minutes lol so I'm fine with it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2019 at 6:05 PM, ironB said:

Guys, I love the opening music of this drama, and the one played when Hwi's friend march on the prince's palace (latest episode). I think I heard it somewhere, but I cannot pinpoint where. Do you know the title of the song?

I think it's a version of this 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Wow...The best always recognize each other.

 

 

 

WDH looks so striking on the screen...

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Such a beautiful scene between Hwi and HJ as they stood next to that tree.

Hwi is warrior and cannot express everything he feels.

HJ knows this, but she doesnt expect anything from him.

She is the one who will always be by his side.

I like that Hwi knows that now.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...