[Drama 2019] My Country, 나의 나라

0ly40

Loved the first episode sooo much,didn't skip at all!!!I'm already sad seeing the shattered relationship between Seo Hwi and Nam Seon Ho  as seeing them together as they are the perfect duo backing each other only to realize that they will be on the opposite sides with no return..I hope they will dwelve more into the past of Hwi's father and how he ended soooo tragically...Curious as well about Hee Jae's past and who and why killed her mother as i think she is related to Hwi's father actions from back then...Having seen Six Flying Dragons  i can't contain not to look for the characters that are in the same period even if i know they are real and fiction jajjaj...On another note,damn, Woo Do Hwan looks sooo handsome in sageuk it is quite distracting me from keeping all my focus on the story...Yang Se Jong is amazing as always and i'm already feeling for him and quite eager to see where this hellish ride will get him as well to how he will become an important member of Bang Won side,as seen he values Hwi very much even when his men consider him still a nobody ...Just please let him live and don't kill all 3 of them,even if i suspect 2 already die by the end seeing the first minutes of the premiere...Another thing i loved was the OST and BGM,i'm already in love with it and fits sooo great with the scenes that i can't wait to be released...

A thing i realised is that unlike Six Flying Dragons here Yi Song Gye planned from a while ago to rebel against King U unlike in the later where the epic scene when he refused to Cross the river,here i see him portrayed as a more ambitious man so i'm curious how will they portray him and Bang Won...

• Like 4

Korean netizens comments on the first episode.

Note the Korean viewers do not have subs when they watch the drama, so the actors' pronunciations are very important.

1. The pronunciations are so unclear so I had to turn up the volume, but once Kim Yeong-cheol appears everything is different. A real actor,  his pronunciation is so clear, the long and short tones are so pleasing to the ears. Really an outstanding actor. (+1266 -121)

2. People who are biased start to target Seolhyun again. To be objective, all three main leads' actings were similarly matched. The only outstanding one was god Yeong-cheol. (+1290 -377)

3. What's wrong? Seolhyun's acting is good, some people start criticising her acting without even watching, so poor thing (+1078 -469)

4. This is a masterpiece (+560 -193)

5. Standing besides the handsome kid is the pretty kid, standing beside the handsome kid is Kim Yeong-cheol (+367 -32)

6. Wow this is good (+320 -90)

7. Can't they improve the pronunciations? 'Be Melodramatic' actors' pronunciations were so clear, but everybody's dictions are so blur here. It feels like these lead actors are not ready to act in such a big production. Thought that things will be different after watching episode 1, but end up I still switched channels. (+224 -71)

8. Please stop bombarding without watching first, I do not like nor dislike Seolhyun, but her acting is not that bad, and her pronunciation is OK, why keep criticising without watching? Please remove your tinted glasses and stop here. Woo Doo-hwan, Yang Se-jong and Seolhyun's actings are all on par with one another. (+240 -126)

9. I do not know about the rest, but Kim Yeong-cheol, Jang Young-nam and Ahn Nae-sang actings were so good that you do not think they are the characters but rather the people themselves, the immersion is not to be joked, really praiseworthy veterans. (+96 -5)

10. Super good, so pretty and handsome... shall keep watching this ! (+141 -56)

https://entertain.naver.com/ranking/comment/list?oid=109&aid=0004096094

• Like 5

So i finally got to watch the drama. The cinematography was epic, the bgm was also nice. The production scale is grand. 

The three leads have different kinds of back stories and were introduced well. It was a long episode but it didnt feel like it. I enjoyed it thoroughly. 

Veteran acting and pronunciation was great ofc, their experience shows so it is a no brainier but 3 leads did well imo. 

To me i found no fault in that area but can't speak for koreans. 

The ratings are good for starting episode i am expecting them to rise for 2nd episode. hope for the best 

• Like 5

Lol @ korean audiences. 

Calling this a masterpiece and Be Melodramatic had 1%. I have trouble taking them seriously.

Don't they usually cry if people in historical dramas dont have the accents they know from those saeguk soap operas? Which i highly doubt is historically accurate. It just somehow is part of it now.

Seems like they didnt go for such exaggerated speech in this one which i appreciate. Apart from that i cant really judge. How hard is it actually to understand? It's complicated. You want people to understand it. You don't want the language to feel out of place with being too modern. And in the end it's inaccurate any way. 

The production is pretty great so far. I like it tonally for the most part as well. Just the last scene was too cringy for and fell in the same raster like many other similar kdramas. 

The guy from TOL doesnt really do it for me here (although i liked him in tol). Maybe it's the wig. Otherwise i mostly like the cast. Apart from the guy who takes the applications for the state exam for example. Although that's probably not the actors fault.

I am already preparing myself for the "2 best friends ending on the opposite side and also fall in love with the same woman" trope. I could do without it. 

The biggest appeal is the production and the setting. The transition from goryeo to joseon is way more interesting to me than some random kings at other times and their power struggle in their court.

• Like 1

Ok to sort out the timeline for myself

Flashback 10 years ago - 1388

Lee Seong-gye ascending thorne - 1392 (beginning of Joseon dynasty)

Beginning of ep 1 : First strife of the princes - 1398

So the flashback brings us back to the Goryeo dynasty

• Like 4

To be honest, I'm not a fan of sageuk but I gave this a try because of Yang Se Jeong and Woo Do Hwan. It did not disappoint. I did not expect to like it. Like everyone else, I love the cinematography as well as the background music. I love that they added modern background music, making some of the scenes cooler. Also, I like the color treatment of some scenes, like when Hwi and his sister's father was about to be executed. The color treatment there was really cool (added to the dark and sinister atmosphere), I hope they maintain it throughout the show.

I will keep on watching and I'm hoping this isn't going to be a love triangle because they're already facing way too many social and political issues here lol I hope love complications won't make it worse. Also, I'm not a fan of the female lead but I hope her acting will improve for the series' sake. 

• Like 4

Korean netizens comments, wow, didn't expect such criticism, I dunno what satisfies them. I wish I could understand Korean, I would like to know what they think of YSJ, since he's the reason I'm watching this to be honest, though it didn't cross my mind that I'd be this amazed and enthusiastic about the drama and just waiting for the next episode to cooome.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fabbo said:

Lol @ korean audiences. 

Calling this a masterpiece and Be Melodramatic had 1%. I have trouble taking them seriously.

Don't they usually cry if people in historical dramas dont have the accents they know from those saeguk soap operas? Which i highly doubt is historically accurate. It just somehow is part of it now.

Seems like they didnt go for such exaggerated speech in this one which i appreciate. Apart from that i cant really judge. How hard is it actually to understand? It's complicated. You want people to understand it. You don't want the language to feel out of place with being too modern. And in the end it's inaccurate any way. 

The production is pretty great so far. I like it tonally for the most part as well. Just the last scene was too cringy for and fell in the same raster like many other similar kdramas. 

The guy from TOL doesnt really do it for me here (although i liked him in tol). Maybe it's the wig. Otherwise i mostly like the cast. Apart from the guy who takes the applications for the state exam for example. Although that's probably not the actors fault.

I am already preparing myself for the "2 best friends ending on the opposite side and also fall in love with the same woman" trope. I could do without it. 

The biggest appeal is the production and the setting. The transition from goryeo to joseon is way more interesting to me than some random kings at other times and their power struggle in their court.

Also they like the forceful way veterans spoke but imagine if normal light hearted conversations between leads were spoken in the same manner lol. I mean the way they speak would also depend on the roles they play.  

• Like 1

'My Country' Jang Hyuk, Lee Bang-won in history.. the opening of a masterpiece

(Google translated)

[OSEN] Actor Jang Hyuk's intense debut with his immense performance.

In JTBC's new Fri/Sat drama 'My Country' (written by Chae Seung-dae / director Kim Jin-won), which was broadcasted for the first time on Friday, Jang Hyuk displayed a short but heavy presence in building the skeleton of the story.

In the first episode which is about the 'First strife of the princes' 10 years ago, Han Hee-jae (Seol Hyun) became entangled with the story of Seo Hwi (Yang Se-jong) and Nam Sun-ho (Woo Do-hwan). The scene left the audience breathless.

At this time, Jang Hyuk appeared as a outsider planning the early stages of the princes' strife, opening a huge encirclement of the pole with his unique suction power and serious acting, as well as planting the skeleton in the pole to capture the hearts of the viewers.

Despite the short appearance, the audience is attracted by the acting ability they believe and see, such as unfamiliar eyes and unknown expressions.

Jang Hyuk, who finished his first appearance with such an intense acting power, appears in 'My Country' twice today at 10:50 pm.

201910051248776974_5d9813030a7bc.jpg

http://osen.mt.co.kr/article/G1111235449

• Like 6

An exciting episode.

Sun-hu and Seo-hwi are good friends, but Seo-hwi seems to be

more capable and better at handling the bow and arrow.

This has been proved most during the hunt.

I liked that Seo-hwi got the chance to apply for the exam after all

because the General gave him half of his arrow.

Seo-hwi is a strong character and Sun-hu looks kind of melancholic.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Fabbo said:

Seems like they didnt go for such exaggerated speech in this one which i appreciate. 

Actually I think that 'exaggerated' saeguk accent is more likely to be accurate. A couple of generations back people used to speak in more forceful way. Particularly the men were expected to talk like the 'men'. It's even more applicable for the warriors/figthers. You may have noticed that elderly Korean men are rather 'firm' or 'curt'.:sweatingbullets:

But I'm genuinely not worried about enunciation of the actors in this drama.

• Like 5

My heart really hurt for Hwi this episode,it really was true that one's life can change in a moment for good and for the worst and sadly Hwi got the very end of one's stick and from the one he considered the closest to him after his younger sister which is even more horrible...I felt sad that such a friendship of years got teared apart sooo easily,does this mean their friendship wasn't that powerful to begin with and is better that it ended?Who knows,after all humans aren't one dimensional even if truly i can't forgive Sun Ho... I guess in the hard enviroments one will show his true nature and we got to see his and i suspect from here one he will only go down the hill,that path of no return that will end with death more than sure because otherwise can't fanthom him survive...Can't wait to see Hwi's hellish journey from here and how he will come above all the horror that will face and how he will be able to keep his sanity in one place as he will clearly be quite broken...I must say i want to see soo much his relationship with Bang Won and how he will be such a dependable person to the fiersome Prince,how will he discover Hwi and his potential... I'm also quite eager to find out more about Hee Jae and about the secret letter that took her Mother's life...I'm curious if it's the same person responsable for making Hwi's Father a traitor and bringing calamity over their family...Could it be Nam Jeon the one who framed Seo Geom and became the man he is now thanks to that or is someone else we don't know yet...Hope now that Hwi will sonner or later discover the truth and return his father name and bring him justice... 

Curious if there is still any man that was under his command that still felt some kind of loyalty for him and how he treated them in those times and reach out even now to stand by Hwi,otherwise it truly is too sad that no one actually stands by  a man who was like a hero 

• Like 4

this drama gets me at the very first episode. I am not a fan of saeguk. I only selectively watch saeguk (most of the time because of the male leads). Likewise, I choose to watch this for Yang Se Jong and Woo Do Hwan and I am not regretting it as the story is so good from the start. The teasers did not lie. The pace, the plot, the writing is all so good. 

• Like 3