Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2019] My Country, 나의 나라

"What's wrong? Were you not that happy to see him?

I felt as if hell was engraved all over Hwi's body. I felt like I could hear each one of his scars screaming. It broke my heart. His sad eyes broke my heart more than all the cruel words he said. They pierced my heart like sharp blades. I have no power. I shouldn't have stepped in. I shouldn't have let him go like that."

Hwi has a really rough life. But he is lucky to have someone understand him like that. Someone who loves him for who he really is. Someone who can see the pain and sadness in his eyes despite of what he has to do against his will. Someone who is willing to pay the consequences to protect him.

Between Hwi and Hee Jae, there's an unspoken feeling. None said they loved one another or promised to be together. Their love story probably progresses at a much faster pace than many people expect; I guess there will even be people who don't buy their love at all. But I just dig it. The way their feeling grow is not the kind of obvious, in-your-face one. It comes from how these two understand each other. Before Hwi was drafted and sent to the deadly battlefield, he found a beautiful, brave and smart girl who doesn't even care about his family background. She likes him for being a good person, a kind brother and a loyal friend. Probably they just like each other at first but the distance and longing seem to make their feeling grow stronger. Hwi must live to find his sister but memories of Hee Jae - her advice about not letting others trampled on him, her kindness and her bandage - are also parts of reason for him to keep going. For Hee Jae, besides her feeling for Hwi as how kind he is and her sympathy for all the difficulties in his life , she also believes he is her destiny because his father saved her life when she was a kid.  

• Like 10

On 10/13/2019 at 7:36 AM, Prettysup said:

In 1388, those 2 kids were only 6 and 7 years old, so I guess the kids ages are ok.

Yi Bang-won was supposed to be 21 years old at that time, so JH is indeed too old for this role haha. 

It seems like that kid is having a  stunted childhood. Years have been passed and he is still same.

I'm finding it hard to take JH as LBW seriously unless I imagine that he is a purely fictitious character coincidently named like historical LBW.

• Like 3

I don't like how everything is so outwardly in your face pitiful with the ML, and that's coming from someone that likes watching broken leads. It needs to be more subtle.

• Like 3

I understand that Hee Jae is out for revenge for the brutal death of her parents and her entire household. But that happened during the former king's reign. Why is she mad at Bang Won? Is it because he's opposing his father and the Queen with whom she gave her loyalty to gain power? How will she avenge the death of her parents and to whom?

The actress playing Hee Jae still shows a disconnect. She delivers her lines, but she's not fully into the character. You can see that she's just acting the part. I understand that historical dramas are difficult to do but there are actors who are also newbies who are able to play their part convincingly.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, anony12345 said:

I don't like how everything is so outwardly in your face pitiful with the ML, and that's coming from someone that likes watching broken leads. It needs to be more subtle.

Pretty much everyone in this show  loves torturing Hwi and I'm hoping he gets back on some of his detractors in next episode.

24 minutes ago, reddragon said:

I understand that Hee Jae is out for revenge for the brutal death of her parents and her entire household. But that happened during the former king's reign. Why is she mad at Bang Won? Is it because he's opposing his father and the Queen with whom she gave her loyalty to gain power? How will she avenge the death of her parents and to whom?

The actress playing Hee Jae still shows a disconnect. She delivers her lines, but she's not fully into the character. You can see that she's just acting the part. I understand that historical dramas are difficult to do but there are actors who are also newbies who are able to play their part convincingly.

She must have a valid reason for getting mad at Bang Won. She is a smart and well informed person so I don't see her acting impetuously for no reason. The dynasty might have changed but demographic remains same. Most of the major players must have their positions intact. LBW has practically given her death threat in  the recent episode so there is no hope of reconciliation between the duo.

Seems like Seolhyun is doing better than people's expectations. I guess it's her first major role so I won't judge her performance harshly like I do with my favourite veterans. I think her part suits her. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, fiesty8001 said:

It seems like that kid is having a  stunted childhood. Years have been passed and he is still same.

I'm finding it hard to take JH as LBW seriously unless I imagine that he is a purely fictitious character coincidently named like historical LBW.

That is kind of what I'm doing. He's too old for historical LBW but I do think they made the right call going with an experinced vet for the role. They are only touching on history anyway.

• Like 4

To be honest, I am not really into Korean history. I do notice inconsistencies in the drama; for example there are scenes that are obviously cuts - we only know that from the still cuts or the dialogues. For example: the scene where Hee Jae fixed Yeon's makeup; when Hee Jae held Bang Won at knife point...

But I don't watch this drama with an expectation of a masterpiece. Instead, I find a focal point in this drama to focus my attention in it - and that's Hwi and Hee Jae's relationship.

In terms of acting, I do agree that Seolhuyn has room for improvement. But I feel that she is getting better as the story progresses and she really looks elegant like a lady in the old time. On the other hand, Yang Se Jong's pained expressions while thinking about Hee Jae when he is shooting (in episode 5) and the lake scene in episode 6 while he tries to drive her away are not as good as I expected. Still, the sadness in his eyes is still apparent and he is really good in other scenes. Overall, I think the acting is fine in the drama; of course the veterans shine but newbies are holding their own quite ok. 

6 episodes - 10 to go and so far I am eager waiting for each episode .

What I like about a well-done historical romance is that not all feelings have to be spoken out loud; in many cases they turn out the be empty words. Just with Hee Jae's bandage around Hwi's bow all these years - that is more than enough to betray Hwi's emotion no matter how much he tries to drive Hee Jae away. He can't even deny that when Hee Jae sees that symbolism in his bow and helplessly turns his back on her, only to turn around and watch her leave latter. Damn, it is one of rare dramas I have seen where the female lead is so certain of her feeling and frankly lets the main lead know about that. Hwi might be the one initiated the kiss but it is Hee Jae who confesses her feeling and tries to hold on to him so that she won't lose him again.  

Edited by melp
  • Like 7

59 minutes ago, melp said:

I do notice inconsistencies in the drama; for example there are scenes that are obviously cuts - we only know that from the still cuts or the dialogues. For example: the scene where Hee Jae fixed Yeon's makeup; when Hee Jae held Bang Won at knife point...

That's probably because drama was originally planned to have 20 episode. 

• Like 3

Just now, fiesty8001 said:

That's probably because drama was originally planned to have 20 episode. 

Oh really? So they cut it down to 16? 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, lollyminx said:

Oh really? So they cut it down to 16? 

Seems like they did. It can explain abrupt cuts and inconsistencies in the storyline. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, fiesty8001 said:

Seems like they did. It can explain abrupt cuts and inconsistencies in the storyline. 

That's too bad. It could have been better if they did 20 episodes and edited the scenes well. 

• Like 3

Started watching this on a flight... Woo Do Hwan's character is going to die eventually right, since we know from history that Lee Bang wan will become the king... sigh... 

Sorry for spoiler* 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fiesty8001 said:

Hmm, I wonder if the episode number was cut after the previous drama, Be Melodramatic, was pushed back a month. Though given the extra long episodes I would think they could have avoided some of the abrupt cuts and inconsistencies. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, qynn said:

Hmm, I wonder if the episode number was cut after the previous drama, Be Melodramatic, was pushed back a month. Though given the extra long episodes I would think they could have avoided some of the abrupt cuts and inconsistencies. 

seems like they are still shooting the drama, maybe the director does not have time to edit it smoothly. 

also note that it has been over 8 months since they started filming it 

• Like 3

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3iC1Xr0uzEDUJMIPYXbiimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2FYkgGhxqh3opZhnKpTQ

I'm kind of glad that I don't know all the historical facts or meanings but appreciate that others do.  Yet in my not knowing I am allowed to just see and feel the drama as is and therefore my expectations are not about comparing but rather in just soaking up each moment as it comes along.  I love the actors and characters they are working so hard to bring to life in building this story...

These latest episodes were heartbreaking, courageous and even the long awaited reunion between Hwi & HJ seemed over shadowed by a cruel promise made.  That Hwi would not be her friend or lover giving his word that all the while broke my heart in wondering what more must he sacrifice, suffer and surrender. Every lie he spoke to HJ seemed to cut him deeper and deeper for turning away in tears doesn't  cover up or make his words true.  For how can he deny those very thoughts of her that had kept him alive and hopeful... 

I honestly am impressed by Seolhyun's acting as HJ there is a softness about her even in her tears and yet there is courage and strength that she is able to draw from within herself.  Is able to express it when needed and she proved it in these latest episodes  when facing BW I could feel her being a force to be reckoned with and so could BW...

My favorite moment was when HJ saw Hwi's bow and what was tied there upon it.  Everything he said and everything he had done seemed to go silent. For no words were needed in that stillness her eyes were focused on that one thing alone. 

That gave her heart all the answers she needed...

:heart:

• Like 9
  • Awesome 1

I like Hwi and the bromance among his companions.  They're funny too, and look out for each other.  With all the bad things that happened to Hwi,  I am glad they are there.  Same with Hui Jae. She really loves Hwi.  It's good that she thought of acting as strangers in front of Bangwon and continue working behind the scenes.

This series (and some others) reminds me of this quote from Lord of the Rings: “I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

Btw who is Park Chi Do?  In a previous ep, Hwi saw his tattoo and seemed to recall something.  Was Park someone that Hwi's father knows?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cherriesblue said:

Btw who is Park Chi Do?  In a previous ep, Hwi saw his tattoo and seemed to recall something.  Was Park someone that Hwi's father knows?

This is Park Chi-do, and he used to be under Hwi's father when the latter was a general in YSG's army, known as the Northern Punitive Force

My_Country-Ji_Seung-Hyun.jpg

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

This is Park Chi-do, and he used to be under Hwi's father when the latter was a general in YSG's army, known as the Northern Punitive Force

It's Ji Seung Hyun. I like him.

• Like 4