[Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

0ly40

TLE blew me away again last night. Such an awesome episode.

Now I am a full fledge SSR fan. He's so awesome as the psychotic emperor who crave companionship and loyalty. Seems like sometimes when he has his "meltdown", he lost sense of what he's doing. He didn't realize he killed the late empress during his rage.  I think that is the same with Yura (though I am 90% sure she's still alive).

kh01.gif

I want to give a huge round of applause to Princess Sojin. Her scenes cracks me up every time. Sometimes I feel so bad for her. Everyone is either using her or ignoring her. I hope she gets a happy ending at the end of the story.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@nubianlegalmind  @juju84 mentioned before about the speculation that the corpse belongs to the first Empress. I think It makes sense. Same as you, I also suspect the nanny is the master behind LH  misunderstanding towards the First Empress.

December 27, 2018

Ratings: "The Last Empress" Keeps Climbing

Source: Nate via HanCinema.net (captures: SportsChosun / 10Asia)

2018122901001928000142351.jpg

The SBS drama "The Last Empress" rated 17.9%.

According to Nielsen Korea nationwide, the drama rated 15.1% to 17.9%, breaking its own existing record and the existing record of "Return" which holds a record of 17.4% on SBS.

With the year-end award shows coming up soon, "The Last Empress" is halfway through its run.

Competing dramas "Children of Nobody" and "Feel Good To Die" came in at 4.6%, 4.8% and 2.7%, 2.7% respectively.

2018122811230420895-540x540.jpg

Ohhh this episode totally deserved the high ratings! 

Spoiler

Yes, I also join the camp that believes Yura isn’t dead. Too easy?! Although it was pretty good karma for her trying to sell off her own child! Heartless hag.

I don’t think the Emperor killed his first wife. I think Queen Mom or Evil Nanny did. 

So WS didn’t get his surgery right? Ahhhh they are gonna milk his near death condition till the end lol. Better make it good! 

Interrsting last scene re the hug - can’t wait until next week!

7 hours ago, nubianlegalmind said:

What if the body that they found in the first episode is the late empress?

What if she was pregnant with twins when she died and the twins are the true heirs to the throne. I believe that is what happened. She got pregnant, and the nanny got jealous when she realized that she would be nothing but a side woman, so she had the empress killed and then had her baby hoping to use that child as a pathway to the throne and being the empress. That is why she had to make it law because in actuality Ari is not related to the Imperial family by blood.

Let's say that she managed to get into the Emperor's bedroom, we all know that he really loved the former Empress, but he's weak and paranoid. So, it was easy for her to fill his head with doubt about the empress, make her look like an adulterer and then sleep with him herself. The question is whether Ari belongs to the Emperor or the Prime Minister? We don't know where that DNA test came from. With her connections, she could've easily fabricated it. So, in the process of making the old Empress look bad and coming in between them, she found out the Empress was pregnant, so guess what, now she has to die. Because adultery or not, the Emperor loved her so much that he would've stayed with her, especially if he knew she was pregnant with his children. So the nanny gets rid of her, bows down to the empress dowager and arranges to become the nanny to stay by the child and not rock the boat. Her father leaves the palace in distress. He has lost his daughter and to top it off, they are sullying her name, but he doesn't have proof that it isn't true. Remember, when he came to grieve, they lied and told him that they cremated her because they couldn't bear to look at her beautiful dead body. So, we never got a body with the last Empress which is very suspicious. They also needed to make the adultery lie look real, so they got rid of the empress dowager's guard. He probably saw something that he shouldn't have.

Then, right when the nanny was ready to strike, here comes Secretary Min, stepping in as the new mistress. She quickly found out about the ED's spying and cameras set up on the Emperor, which we know now is due to the fact that the nanny got in his bed and got pregnant. She too wants to be the Empress, but then Sunny came along and due to the Imperial Family's bad image, she puts a monkey wrench into the plans of both women. What say you Imperial Chingusss, who do you think the dead body belongs to?

I agree with you. The body is the late Empress's. It was suspicious how the ED told Byun that they cremated his daughter's body without his knowledge and the fact that they revealed that she was pregnant tells us that whoever killed her didn't take care of her body properly. 

I don't believe the nanny for a second until or unless Sunny does a DNA test on Ari herself. This is a woman who slept with her so-called best friend and I also believe that she has a hand on the late Empress death. 

Haha I love how knetz notice LH’s awfully not so platonic bromance for WB.

So in my opinion, I don’t think the nanny is the mastermind behind SH’s death. I mean she sure is a mastermind in her own right seeing her steal ms Hong’s documents and her affair with prime minister. However after watching mot recent ep, I am convinced the evil MIL is the one behind all this.

Evil MIL was scared SH would expose her about the island (what’s up with that mysterious island anyways?) so she scouted the nanny to help her, not knowing that she’s an opportunist (is It that much of a surprise when she didn’t even know the kind of snake MYR was alll those years working for imperial family and still sometimes falls for her schemes like agreeing to team up to frame Sunny for grandmas death). Maybe she even enlisted the bodyguard like she did in present time with WB (have we met him yet, SH’s guard?). MIL takes advantage of LH’s insecurities and uses it to manipulate him into jealousy. Of course I don’t think she intended for him to kill her...or did she? (That scene of her playing chess with LH and beating him felt like a major foreshadowing).

I would like to think sometime between then and now LH figured out his Mom’s schemes which is why he was like he was at the beginning of the show, teaming up with YR and going against his mom. He wants revenge against her for manipulating him into killing SH. But seeing how he still seeks out the nanny for comfort to this day and believes her lies (that she vouches SH was having an affair with guard, most likely what she was hired to say by MIL) so maybe he still hasn’t seen his mom’s true colors, or at least the nanny’s.

The nanny seems like a gray character, I can’t tell if she’s good or bad, if we put ehr side by side MYR, I think we can see the drastic difference in the matter of how they treat their children. At least I think so, but who knows maybe KH just using her kid in a different way. Maybe the nanny is doing all this so she can survive in the palace. At least that’s what it started out as and she became ambitious/greedy. Or it can be her own revenge for being used by MIL and LH (who probably ‘threw her out’ when they were done, and if not for ari, she wouldn’t have even stayed in palace till now).

i wonder if DS’s bio dad aka YR’s baby daddy will have some kind of twist too in this show. Seeing how YR was eyeing that necklace, I wouldn’t be surprised if she was the corpse they found at the beginning of the show. Only cause looking at SH’s corpse, she wasn’t wearing that necklace and why would she suddenly wear it with her corpse? If YR does die, then the main feuding will begin between nanny and sunny probably, unless they team up together somehow.

seeing as how WB was with sunny at the end of ep, the possibility that he saves YR to continue his revenge doesn’t seem possible. Unless SH’s dad saves her (but of course why would he when she sold off her son) or she has some back up plan of someone to help her.

who thinks the MILs assistant seems weird? I can’t tell if she’s loyal to MIL or wearing a mask like mot of the people in palace. Her expression after snitching to MIL that she saw sunny and WB together and seeing MIL react happily seemed off. Like She was concerned why she didn’t know what MIL was scheming with WB for Sunny. 

4 minutes ago, Jonah Kyle said:

Wonder if we are going to see a crossover between "Empress" and another drama with the famed Barry Kite canvas, "Vincent Van Gogh with Mona Lisa"...

What drama is this ? What’s the significance? 

——

I’m about to start eps 12. Completely cracked up at the knetz comments. Maybe the OTP is Lee Hyuk - Wo Bin :lol:. Lee Hyuk will be devastated when he finds out who WB is . 

Highest one minute rating. So is LH regretting that he ask WB to make Sunny his woman ? :rolleyes:

Hey everyone. This is the first time Im posting in this thread and its been a long time since I’ve been in Soompi. 

Anyway, Im not sure if the body from the first episode is the late first empress cuz I remember it was wearing the necklace. Thou, am thinking its the Emperor’s mother. Im pretty sure he gonna kill her. 

2 minutes ago, Kimchi Sweet Potato said:

Sorry folks but Min Yura is not dead

She can't disappear without knowing the truth about Wang Shik.

We are now halfway through and everyone still batty as ever.

I need to stop eating dinner while I watch dramas.

Almost barfed when the empress dowager had her milk bath.

And it's human's milk... not goat's milk... a full bath tub... Talk about batty :lol:

December 27, 2018

"The Last Empress" Shin Sung-rok Attempts to Kill Lee Elijah

Source: Hankyung via HanCinema.net

photo1025443.jpg

On the latest episode of the SBS drama special "The Last Empress", Lee Hyeok (Shin Sung-rok) was furious after finding out Min Yoo-ra's (Lee Elijah) secret.

Cheon Woo-bin (Choi Jin-hyuk) warned Lee Hyeok about Min Yoo-ra and sent him an audio file.

In the file was a conversation between Na Wang-sik and Min Yoo-ra. Lee Hyeok was shocked they had known each other all along. Min Yoo-ra had lied to him that she didn't know Na Wang-sik at all.

Lee Hyeok ordered Cheon Woo-bin to find out everything about Min Yoo-ra and he did. It turned out Min Yoo-ra and Na Wang-sik were almost married.

Lee Hyeok called Min Yoo-ra in and told her he knew everything. Min Yoo-ra said what she felt for him was real, but he dragged her off.

He poured gasoline on a crashed car and told Min Yoo-ra, "I'll believe that you did it all for me. So die here". He put her in the car and lit it on fire. He ignored her screaming for him from inside the car and walked away.

Lee Hyeok drank alone, but seemed anxious. He called Cheon Woo-bin, but he didn't answer. Lee Hyeok set out to look for him. Chun Woo-bin was standing duty and just as Lee Hyeok was going to call him name, he hugged Oh Sunny (Jang Nara).

9 hours ago, nikki7 said:

I want to give a huge round of applause to Princess Sojin. Her scenes cracks me up every time. Sometimes I feel so bad for her. Everyone is either using her or ignoring her. I hope she gets a happy ending at the end of the story.

I think she matches well with sunny’s Father. Heh heh. 

10 hours ago, Hafie said:

Hey everyone. This is the first time Im posting in this thread and its been a long time since I’ve been in Soompi. 

Anyway, Im not sure if the body from the first episode is the late first empress cuz I remember it was wearing the necklace. Thou, am thinking its the Emperor’s mother. Im pretty sure he gonna kill her. 

She talked about wanting to live forever, so yeah, very likely she is going to die soon.

laughing and loving sunny and rocky bear's style of flirting.

sunny: I will not ask you if you had breakfast or if you took pain medication.

rocky bear: I had breakfast and medication but I will not answer your questions.

:lol::lol:

@triplem ~ that comment that there is 16 eps of drama in one ep is so hilariously true. my normal style of drama is to fast forward all staring/silent bits. so normally cut about 10-15 minutes or so or more in the later episodes as they usually rehash old history. here, you can't fast forward. it takes me so long to finish one episode! :sweatingbullets: hahhahaha....

on a serious note, thought how lonely the emperor is that he is grateful for any friend who looks like they might be genuine and he can be himself with. it must be a lonely life where everyone you know can double cross you or is looking to gather power for themselves. it must be so alienating that you have to think about who to trust... so he will definitely be devastated when he finds out rocky bear is not a friend at all...

but had to crack up with yura who got it from so many folks -- nanny, penguin's mother, sunny, even rocky bear and finally, emperor penguin. if this was a regular drama, we would get this over 10 episodes! like 2 episode for one person each. :lol:... but here, super fast! wonder what will happen next....

but am looking most forward to sunny and rocky bear falling in love. they are so hilarious and cute. :love:

Hello! Long time lurker, finally decided to make an account to join the discussions on current dramas every now and then. I usually wait for dramas to be completely finished before binge watching them, especially if they're this good!

But I when I heard that I would see JNR and CJH star in a new drama I HAD to watch this! I needed something new to obsess over since I binged watched 100 Days my Prince and waiting for full eng subs of Love Alert. 

I usually stick to tumblr to rant about my love of this drama but tumblr has been a real pain to deal with and I'm tired of not seeing my posts appear in the tags over there. Ugh..

So I tend to write...ALOT when I'm gushing/ranting and making way out there theories for shows I like, so to not blind you guys with my wall of text everything is in a spoiler/cut tag. XD Remember my out there, i doubt will come true theory is a theory! But it's a theory based on the usual trope of the birth secret that's always relevant to k-dramas when wealth and inheritances play a major part of the plot. 

Spoiler

Anyways, I cannot wait for next weeks coming episodes, I'm grinning from ear to ear because I'm still reeling over how I guessed weeks ago, that in order for the love line to happen between Woo Bin/Sunny the Emperor was going to order Woo Bin to get close to her to keep an eye on her.

While at the same time, as soon as the Emperor started to see Yu Ra for what she really is, he would start obsessing over Sunny. *sighs*

And while I love the incoming schadenfreude of seeing Sunny tell Lee Hyuk where he can stick it...

I can totally see after this weeks episodes and the falling out he had with So Hyun, his impending obsession for Sunny is going to reach high levels of creepy and it's going to be awkward for all involved. I won't say he loves Sunny but rather what it is she represents and who she reminds him of. He would totally try to live out the life he never got to have with So Hyun with Sunny and Ari. Unlike, Yu Ra, Sunny doesn't treat Ari horrible or hate the child because her father is a crappy person and unlike the nanny(concubine) Sunny isn't trying to use the child to gain anything. (ironically everyone is using her but *shrugs*)

This dude is so starved for affection he will try to find it, however he can. It won't matter to him that he tried to have Sunny murdered...twice now, or that he has to know she doesn't want to touch him with a ten foot pole, he seems to have a knack for deluding himself into believe anything he wants to as long as it benefits him. Which is why he comes off as either being too oblivious or dumb witted and easy to manipulate.  So yeah, Lee Hyuk totally getting jealous when he realizes too late that his chief guard totally makes Sunny's heart beat is something I can totally see happening. 

As for Empress Dowager and her obsession with this Island...this writer may not pull a double whammy with the birth secret trope since she already used it for Ari (and i'm still on the fence of Ari being his biological daughter) but I feel like it'll come up again. I know that some k-dramas portray biological parents as being abusive to one of their own flesh and blood children. (see exhibit: Yu Ra towards Dong Shik) But 90 percent of the time in K-Dramas whenever a child that's brought up by a foster parent or step parent that just hates everything about their existence, it's usually because that child isn't their birth child...especially if that parent cannot stand their significant other. 

ED has so many haunting secrets in her past that it's making me question whether LH is even the Emperor's real son??? I mean even if the emperor was always disappointed with LH's short comings, if the boy was his real son he would have at least tried to encourage him to do better. I mean even the worst CEO dads in K-Dramaland, both ridicule and encourage their blood children at the same time. 

I said before that I wouldn't be surprised if through some weird writing magic, if LH's father was in love with another woman that had a love child with him before he married ED and she had LH by another unknown man and got rid of the other woman and claimed LH was his to secure her position into the Imperial family. LH's father finds and ED was like, mofo you gotta die! I mean in the twelve episodes we have had so far, I have not seen the Empress Dowager even mention, how much she misses her late husband. It's like there's no love lost on her part at all. I do believe on the viki page for this drama it's stated that LH and Sunny are the same age right? 

I mean we still don't know anything about Wang Shik's father...or Sunny's mother...yes I know I'm reaching A LOT with this theory but the most epic plot twist/revenge would be either one of them turning out to be the true heir/next in line to that throne. (not that I think either one of them would want it at this point because of all the hell it causes but still) Wang Shik being a contender for the throne would totally give Yu Ra a chance to try to rebound her slimy way back into his heart and give LH a reason to want to get rid of him. 

However, Sunny being the true heir?! ED deciding to scheme with Nanny and Prime Minister to allowed a law to pass for crowned princesses to ascend the throne?! ED finding out that Grandmama already knew the truth about her lost grandchild, LH not being her real grandson and ED probably having something to do with her late son's death years before she was murdered?! ED's head would implode! 

I mean...unless there's a translation error which I doubt there is: Grandmama's will NEVER SAID Sunny had to stay married to LH, just that she had to remain Empress...now there's a very high chance that this theory will NEVER come to pass and I'm totally fine with that but the more that gets revealed each week, the more I can't help but wonder if Sunny is truly related to the late emperor and Grandmama knew the truth but it was too late to reveal everything so she kept it secret to keep from there being unrest, knowing how ED is. Then there's the whole 'i just find out my real grandchild married the child that I treated as my real grandchild and the awkward implications of what that would do to their image. 

I also keep thinking back to when LH and Sunny were arguing over whose side Grandmama would choose and LH telling Sunny, no matter what he's done, Grandmama would choose his side over hers because 'blood is thicker than water' and all that jazz. 

The irony of what that statement would mean if my way out there theory is correct. It'll give deeper meaning to her changing her will at the last minute, probably knowing deep down someone was going to murder her and there was probably a lot she regret never doing so like So Jin said, she gave her conniving in-laws the middle finger, probably hoping for Sunny to finish the job she never could. 

And if my highly unlikely theory doesn't come true, nothing's stopping me from making fanfic about it XD

in any other drama, you find out that the lead finds out their OTP person is genuine through some scene like fighting off rogues and then putting band aid, saving them from the truck of doom, having a cup of noodles together, some soju & chicken wings...

here, sunny finds out that rocky bear is good because she sees her teeth marks on his hand. :lol: .. because true love starts with a bite?  makes me think the writer is watching some vampire or witch/wizard series while writing. hahaha... bite marks, bathing in milk to stay young.. what is in that island the penguin's mother wants? some magic portion? cauldron-smiley.gif?1292867565

Archived