[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

5 minutes ago, NongpeeP said:

PBG’s the most favorite scene is VDO phone call to show the lovers’ moment but actually PBG and SHK filmed in the different time; therefore, the real mobile screen will be their own face to act with imagination. 

This also reminds me when KJH sings the song in the morning, and SHK listen were filmed in the different time. She had to hear pd-nim singing and broke to laughter on the bed. Yup, indeed, both have to act with their own imagination and as if she really hears KJH is singing.....

• Like 4
  • Love 4

12 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

"Boyfriend" could be perceived as something linked to time as well because a boyfriend is not a permanent state. Either there is a break up or it ends with a marriage. That's why the viewers can not see their wedding in the end as the focus was on Boyfriend

Thank you a zillion for the wonderful analysis. @bebebisous33

Reasonable reason from you as why - no wedding- and...

The more reason for season 2 as quoted from BuzzLightYear

" To infinity and beyond! " So hopefully, in season 2, we will see - "To wedding and beyond...":innocent:

• Like 4
  • Love 6

@bebebisous33

i havent been to wordpress in ages :sweatingbullets: i clicked your link and its asking for me to login :lol: can you please please post your analysis here instead haha! If its not too much to ask, chingu.

•••••••••••••••••

anne curtis is done watching Encounter. Apparently she’s been a fan for years now. and she tweeted:

55-BFE81-B-556-E-4-DC9-921-D-2-E0-EF544-

Im just gonna translate the parts that are in tagalog. She said she loved that Encounter wasnt super heavy like DOTS and TWTWB that made her sobbed so much it was worse. She also said that she was left hanging from both Kingdom and Encounters ending. She wants more!!

• Like 8
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

Spoiler

This justifies the chairman Kim’s action: she throws the chessboard enraged that she had been betrayed. Her gesture underlines that she has realized that life is not a game and pawns are not just useful and disposable items. Once lost, they are lost forever. She got aware too late that her power was limited by the number of pawns and the size of the chessboard. She can not control the entire media and the prosecution office all the time...

Another great job by @bebebisous33. I did not realize, the analysis is at the link provided. Thanks to @dukesa1122 for pointing out, otherwise i miss the analysis.

Come to think from another angle, during the scene when she throws the chessboard enraged, i look closely that all chess pieces flying off the table and none left but surprisingly another take of the scene, seconds later, you can see 2 pieces of queen and king. Am i seeing it wrongly? Its puzzle me.

• Like 7

The queen in Encounter

Encounter episode 15 Chairman Kim Chess.png

As you have already guessed, the queen is the chairman Kim. Now, you might be wondering why I chose such a taking. In the foreground, the beholder notices the chessboard, while she is in the background. Chairman Kim has just heard the news that the assemblyman went to the prosecution office in order to reveal the bribes he received from Taegyeong Group.

The chessboard embodies perfectly the life of this terrible woman. She is just like the queen in this game. She is the most powerful pawn in chess, can move in every direction and at any distance. She has even more power than the king. Since she has always considered herself as a queen, entitled to everything, she believed that her power was endless. However, she made a huge mistake. Just like in chess, the game is over when the king is caught: checkmate. If life is a game for the chairman, this means that all the other pieces are just pawns that can be used and thrown away, the moment they become useless or a thread to her. As time passed on, we saw how she lost her trusted minion and then the director Choi. She always thought that losing a pawn is not terrible as they mean nothing to her. However, she never realized that she was losing little by little all her pawns so that at the end, she became dependent of one pawn: Cha Soo Hyun’s mother. In the picture below, we see Jin Mi Ok kneeling in front of the queen. She is humiliating herself in exchange for her support. However, chairman Kim abuses her power. She lets the woman kneel and rejects Cha Soo Hyun’s mother. Notice that the door frame corresponds to the form of the chessboard indicating that her world and life are in reality limited. This scene also illustrates the delusion of the queen. She really thinks that her realm is endless but this is quite the opposite.

Encounter episode 10 chairman Kim.png

At the end, since she saw how Jin Mi Ok humiliated herself, she has the impression that the former will never betray her and testify against her. But the opposite happens. She testifies against the queen who ends up in jail. Striking is that her realm (door frame) has the same form than the chessboard which can be explained by her liking for squares and oblongs. Ironically, she ends up in jail which usually has such a form. Her realm has been reduced to a prison cell. If she was the queen in the chessboard, who was the king? I think, it is her son Jung Woo Suk. She acted as a overprotective mother isolating him from others, even harassing his wife. Now, we can understand why the chairman Kim never liked Cha Soo Hyun. Sure, the gaze was a reason. However, just like in a chessboard, there is only one queen. There is no room for a princess. This explains why Jung Woo Suk is not able to see his mother at the end, as the latter refuses his visits. She has realized that she ruined her life and her son’s life as well. Life was a game for her, she saw others as “dust” or “dog” or “race horse” forgetting that in order to be a queen, you need subjects. By losing all her pawns, she lost all her subjects, Jin Mi Ok is the perfect example. If the queen doesn’t act reasonably and shows no loyalty, then why should a mistreated subject have any loyalty towards the queen? This justifies the chairman Kim’s action: she throws the chessboard enraged that she had been betrayed. Her gesture underlines that she has realized that life is not a game and pawns are not just useful and disposable items. Once lost, they are lost forever. She got aware too late that her power was limited by the number of pawns and the size of the chessboard. She can not control the entire media and the prosecution office all the time, especially when the politician Cha Joon Hyun had already mobilized the journalists and alerted the authorities.

@dukesa1122 Okay, I just copied my text. I was surprised that you can not access to my blog directly.

@dukesa1122@luv_jinsoo @stardustvoid@jl08@celebrianna@xu_lyfe@dreaminsince1998@thistle@Yongzura@roshzanna@lolipop86gorgeous@nikir@shyguitar @thadora @NongpeeP @rosiepeonie188 @twtwb @Tasia  @avondale16 @beejoy111

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 6
  • Thanks 3

Wow, Encounter / Boyfriend's related stuffs:

1. Encounter's real scripts;

2. Cake's red ball(the 1st day of 'Some' relationship between KJH and CSH);

3. KJH's Mask (to kiss CSH on HNY party) ;

4. KJH's bouquet (KJH brought to implicitly propose to CSH to promise being together for a long time)

credit as in pictures from PBG's fanmeeting in Japan at Saitama's Super Arena 4 Feb 2019

(Huge Event for many audiences in the huge scale concert level  with Encounter's things, it might promote Encounter / Boyfriend in advance before Encounter / Boyfriend's TV on-air in MNET in Japan on 21 March 2019)

Kim Jin Hyuk’s dating in the Cuba beach with CSH.
  • Like 12
  • Love 2

@roshzanna Thanks a lot for the new input. It was a great reminder. Therefore the analysis "the importance of time" on my blog has been changed. I took your observation into consideration but added another thing: the use of calendar.

https://bebebisous33analyses.wordpress.com/2019/02/03/the-importance-of-time-in-encounter/

I have discovered that I could invite people on my blog. Is anyone interested? My plan is to put all my analyses together but since the drama is finished to make a few changes concerning older posts (the importance of nature in Encounter which was written after the episode 6).

• Like 12
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, aiyumestranger said:

sooooo... anyone doing a fanfiction of CSH and KJH???:ph34r: I'm dying to read one!! Please write them one! I miss them so much that it literally hurts:bawling: 

BTW, I love reading all these analyses about the storyline and characters! Thank you for keeping the thread alive :thumbsup:

You could try Archive of Our Own - https://archiveofourown.org/tags/남자친구 | Encounter (TV 2018)/works

And if you can read Chinese, there is someone who posts her fics on weibo - https://m.weibo.cn/u/1771960471?uid=1771960471&luicode=10000011&lfid=10080850167963e2ba0a8632b118e3890f4f74_-_feed

• Like 8

@NongpeeP   seems like Mnet makes full use of bogum Fan meeting in japan to promote Encounter in Japan before it airs.  Save cost for them. :lol: for MDBC,  they invited bogum to fly over to japan and promote the drama.  His japan fan meeting is the biggest among all his FM. (  2017 FM - 10,000 pax)

@aiyumestranger  If you can back read, i noticed one chingu wrote fanfiction after ep 8 or 10 if i am not mistaken.. or get helps from @avondale16 

• Like 11
  • Love 3

Bo Gum will hold his Japan Fanmeet in Saitama Super Arena, the venue of the recent 2018 MAMA Japan.@NongpeeP said no. of tickets sold is approximately 25K. 

The Cuban Encounter of Cha Soo Hyun and Kim Jin Hyuk in the breakwater of Malecon Beach is flashed on the screen...goid advertisement for the drama.

@rahma92 posted this in Bo Gum's thread.

• Like 11
  • Love 2

@dukesa1122 @avondale16 This is what I changed in the analysis "RED" in my blog. But I linked the blog to facebook.

https://bebebisous33analyses.wordpress.com/2019/02/03/red/

However, after the break up, there is a regression. She is seen again with the light pink coat (see the image below) and then with white clothes again. So the color of her clothes reflects her emotional state. She is again suppressing her feelings (episode 15).

The writer's choice for Cha Soo Hyun's favorite color is not random. Although she was described by the media as the ice princess, she was in fact the opposite: a passionate person. She could be compared to a fire covered with ashes and Kim Jin Huyk as the sun was the only one who could lit the fire and remove the ashes. Hence everyone mistook the ashes for her true personality. Don't forget that the fairy tale Cinderella is often hinted in this drama (the balls, the loss of shoes, the hidden identity). Now we can see clearly another connection between the fairy tale and Cha Soo Hyun, as Cinderella used to live close to the ashes.

• Like 11
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

I can access the wordpress page, thanks for making one, I've been wanting the analysis to be compiled together too.

woah looks like PBG is very popular in Japan, I hope Japanese people and other nations loves Encounter very much and demand for Encounter movies (I think its hard for season2..) like Cheese in The Traps. but 제발 don't change the casts.

• Like 5
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I have discovered that I could invite people on my blog. Is anyone interested? My plan is to put all my analyses together but since the drama is finished to make a few changes concerning older posts (the importance of nature in Encounter which was written after the episode 6).

@bebebisous33 I just followed your blog. It's great to be able to focus on your posts and read your analysis one at a time. Thank you lots!

• Like 2
  • Love 5

@luv_jinsoo @rainy12 Thanks for the encouragement and compliment. This is the new analysis for today on my blog. https://wordpress.com/read/feeds/93258717/posts/2159104002

Since some complained that they couldn't have access... I am posting it here too.

The playground and Cha Soo Hyun's change of heart 

A lot of viewers perceived the parallels between the scene in the episode 16, where Cha Soo Hyun returns to her boyfriend’s side and the scene in the episode 2. The playground symbolizes the place, where their love began and was completed. In the episode 2, our heroine went to that place after reading Kim Jin Hyuk’s letter of motivation. In his letter, he described how meaningful this place was to him. While watching the view, the viewer listens to the song CSH listened to, when she watched the sunset in Cuba. The music serves as a tool to show that our heroine is remembering the wonderful moments she lived with KJH in Cuba. However the difference between the two scenes is that their position is reversed. KJH caught her at the playground which surprised him and made him happy. In the episode 16. KJH is sitting there looking at the falling snow when Cha Soo Hyun appears behind and joins him.

Spoiler

image-6.png

(episode 2)

Each time, KJH is surprised as he didn’t expect her there. The other similarity is, the two situations are always encounters. The right timing played a huge part in their love in order to start and to be completed.

image-5.png
(episode 16)

Striking is that Cha Soo Hyun sits on the left swing, while our protagonist is seen sitting on the right swing. It was as if the left swing would always belong to his girlfriend. He doesn’t dare to sit there. This playground with the swing is so sacred for both of them. Nonetheless, this scene from the episode 16 is not just as a reminder of the saying: this love began and was completed there. There is another scene which shares a lot of similarities with the scene at the playground: the fateful encounter at Morro Cabana and the beautiful sunset. At first, you might wonder. Let us go back to the scene in Cuba. First, CSH has a problem with the taxi as the latter is broken.

Spoiler

image-9.png

(episode 1)

She is forced to leave the taxi, take the ferry and walk to the top of the hill with her high heels.

Spoiler

image-10.png

(episode 1)

And now, if you go back to the takings before Cha Soo Hyun meets her loved one in the episode 16, she is also forced to leave her car as there is some construction work on the road.

Spoiler

image-7.png

(episode 16)

Then we see her walking to the top, determined to reach that place: the playground. The takings are quite similar to these from the episode 1.

Spoiler

image-8.png

(episode 16)

Both scenes illustrate her determination. On the one hand, she wants to watch the beautiful sunset and the other hand, she wishes so much to be at the playground, the place she remembered her experiences with KJH in Cuba, the place where he approached her knowing now her identity and later acted as if he was her knight touching tenderly her knee.

Spoiler

image-11.png

Sure, there are huge differences between these scenes (day versus night; moon versus sun; coldness versus warmth) that’s why the beholders might not catch the resemblance between these two events. Yet both have something in common: the presence of water (sea and falling snow). In another analysis (forum soompi), I had written that Cha Soo Hyun’s element is water. The snowflakes look a lot like stars due to their form. It was as if the stars would celebrate their reconciliation and the finalization of their love. Moreover, Kim Jin Hyuk is also attracted to go outside, when he sees the snow falling. He looks at the window

Spoiler

image-12.png

episode 16
image-13.png

and his feet are the ones leading him to that place.

image-14.png

Nature is leading him there. And just like in the episode 1 where Cha Soo Hyun arrived on the top before Kim Jin Hyuk and sit on the wall waiting for the sunset, in the episode 16 our hero is waiting for the snow. CSH is about to rescue him from his melancholy, just like Cha Soo Hyun was saved by him from falling down the wall. While the sunset in Cuba touched her heart and led to her awakening, the scene in the episode 16 symbolizes a different aspect: Cha Soo Hyun’s change of heart.

Spoiler

image-15.png

In Cuba, she woke up literally and decided to change her life (enjoy life and abandon her sadness), the viewers witness the change of her mindset. However, only her mind has changed, not her heart, as she keeps controlling her heart. In the episode 16, the change of heart happened in the dark room.

Spoiler

Encounter episode 16 Dark room CSH 1.png

Here the red color reminds us of the sunset in Cuba. That’s why the scene in the red room was added, while we see her walking to the top in order to reach that playground. This was her third and last huge revelation: her own happiness was dependent of her boyfriend. Without him, she is not able to be happy. If she had given up on him, then she would have been miserable all her life. The difference between the time (day versus night) can be easily explained. Cha Soo Hyun’s world is the night as she is associated to the moon which means that KJH has been able to enter her world completely, just like she entered his world as well: the playground. In both events, we see natural phenomenons: snow and sunset. Nature is omnipresent and is a driving force for them, although our OTP is surrounded by houses and buildings.

@dukesa1122@luv_jinsoo @stardustvoid@jl08@celebrianna@xu_lyfe@dreaminsince1998@thistle@Yongzura@roshzanna@lolipop86gorgeous@nikir@shyguitar @thadora @NongpeeP @rosiepeonie188 @twtwb @Tasia  @avondale16 @beejoy111

• Like 8
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 6
  • Thanks 4