[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

We are owed interviews with Park Shinwoo and Yoo Yang-ah.

Encounter seems to pay homage to a film that Song Hyekyo admires, Comrades: Almost a Love Story, the 1996 film directed by Peter Chan, whom she has also met, starring one of her Hongkong friends, Leon Lai.

For example, two scenes from Comrades are echoed: the couple’s bicycle ride and the kiss through the car window. Although, yes, these are also romantic tropes.

ComradesAALS.jpg

comrades-almost-a-love-story-3.jpg

I would love to know what inspired Yoo and Park, as well as whether SHK had any inputs in the script. There are other aspects of the drama which seem to be a reflection of SHK’s personal experiences. 

If anyone comes across interviews with the two creators, please share them. Thanks.

• Like 22
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Weekend already, and it's Boyfriend marathon day!

So glad that thanks to @bebebisous33 

We still got many things to discuss about. Like i said i've compiled your analysis, read it all together and re watch BF, and it's still feel so fresh to find things you've mentioned in your observations.

@MarJo_Lei thanks for the close up playground kisses. And @Jemrie for the beautiful edit.

And just like @thepixies i also really wanted to hear what the PD and the writer experienced during the drama making and how they feel now that the drama is over.

Anyone part of the Drama prod company still lurking here? We want (need) PSW and YYA doing interview. Pleaseee :D

Or maybe the interview would be inserted in dvd/bluray?

@dukesa1122 and @gumtaek do you have any info about this?

• Like 14

In case you havent voted yet.

PLEASE VOTE FOR OUR JINSOO Couple!!

You can vote upto 10x everyday. Just refresh the page after casting your vote and then vote again!

We are waaaaay behind!

We’re now #2!!

But we have a close fight to #3!!

We need a thousand votes!

URL:

https://namesns.com/m/entertainer/star_room.html?star_num=569

70-C63855-3-F4-C-4840-B883-D825253-B3322

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

@bebebisous33

i always thought her stylist let her wear red because Kyo is good in it haha never thought of her outfit in this drama is related to the story. You have good points with your analysis though since PBG did like red. 

As for me, my fave color is white and pink.

@rosiepeonie188

no feedback from them yet. I sent them an email however. Requesting copies in Eng Sub.

• Like 13

31 minutes ago, roshzanna said:

The box of the camera case is the red one @dukesa1122

DO i need to wait for the next 24 hrs to cast votes? I did the voting last night and can't do it now?

Oh sorry. Hahaha

You can try to check again if you can vote. You’ll know if you can coz you can choose them instead of seeing the ratings. 

Edit:

@roshzanna

i think you can vote again. Tips:

Spoiler

Use a different browser like chrome or firefox to vote again. You can also use incognito mode or inprivate browsing for internet explorer to vote again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Park Bo Gum Reveals His Thoughts On Popularity And His Goals For 2019

Park Bo Gum Reveals His Thoughts On Popularity And His Goals For 2019

Feb 2, 2019
by R. Jun

In an interview with Sports Today revealed on February 1, Park Bo Gumtalked more about his recently concluded drama “Encounter,” in which he acted alongside Song Hye Kyo.

The actor said one of the reasons why he chose the drama was because of his genuine affection for his character. “Jin Hyuk is a character that is passionate, optimistic, and adventurous. Even if it’s something small, he knows how to treasure what he has, and I really liked the confidence he got from that kind of mindset.” He added that Kim Jin Hyuk knows how to love and care for those around him and that he hopes viewers will remember his character’s kind heart for a long time.

Park Bo Gum is well-known as a close friend of Soong Joong Ki, and prior to the airing of “Encounter,” many called it a romance between him and his friend’s wife. In response, Park Bo Gum said firmly, “‘Encounter’ is not a romance between me and my friend’s wife, but a romance between Kim Jin Hyuk and Cha Soo Hyun. We were each acting out our characters, so I focused on my portrayal of my character.”

The actor had endless praise for his co-star, saying that realized firsthand why Song Hye Kyo is called the ‘melodrama queen.’ “One of the reasons why everyone compliments Song Hye Kyo is that when she is acting a sad scene, she says everything with her eyes. When I saw her eyes, I realized what they were talking about. She was really like CEO Cha Soo Hyun, and because of that, I was able to fall deeper into my role as Kim Jin Hyuk.”

park-bo-gum-xpn-2-540x774.jpg

Park Bo Gum isn’t afraid of his popularity waning, he said. “Popularity isn’t forever, and I’m not afraid of my popularity falling. Because it’s inevitable. I’m just thankful and amazed at everyone who supports and loves me unconditionally, even though there’s nothing that I’ve done for them. I want to cherish it always and work hard to give back.”

His goal for this year is to be on screen more. “I would like it if there were more days in which I was able to see viewers through acting projects. I want to show everyone something new, so I also want to try acting in a genre piece. But more than anything, I want to be a part of projects that viewers can relate to. And I’d like it they were projects that I could relate to, as well,” said Park Bo Gum.

“Encounter” is about the love story of Cha Soo Hyun, the daughter of a politician who has never had the chance to live her life on her own terms, and Kim Jin Hyuk, a free-spirited individual who finds happiness in the normalcies of everyday life.

• Like 12
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, avondale16 said:

Eyes. CSH's eyes.

@avondale16

For the bright or aggressive or outright character, the actor / Actress might be able to express obviously via acts, gesture, voice, facial expression.

However, CSH’s character has subtled herself from let anyone know what she think and feel; therefore, CSH’s eyes by SHK have had to work hard Instead. 

KJH might be one of a few persons in her life who really knew what is CSH’s recent feeling from her eyes, in addition to Mr.Nam and CSH’s father.

For example, when CSH has just been reminded by her mom to be a beneficial daughter materialistically.

KJH saw CSH and her sad eyes in front of lobby, he knew she felt bad so he pampered with praising her lipstick to be in Spring.(while they were actually in Winter)

• Like 9

7 hours ago, roshzanna said:

Thanks @bebebisous33

SH wears red on Jh family dinner.

She wears red on their visit to the playground and when she got drunk.

But does Sh knows that red is Jh favorite color?

The red camera case and red shoe box came only during and after break up.

Yes, you are right. I knew that but I have to admit that I got lazy at some point to find the scenes and add pictures. LOL  leafHowever, thanks to mention these scenes. 

But maybe I should have added something else: CSH is called the ice princess due to her expressionless face and gaze and the colors she is wearing. However, since red is her favorite color, we have to imagine that in reality, CSH is the opposite: a passionate person. Meeting KJH was as if he had lit a fire in her or even her fire had been covered up by so much ashes that KJH had to remove the ashes little by little to reignite the fire. Her tears are the proof that her love is powerful and deep.

@thepixies This info about the movie Comrades: almost a love story is indeed very interesting. We know that the director and writer used Roman holidays as an inspiration (episode 1) and now we have this film. I have always said that they wanted to turn this drama into a classic... a timeless drama and your observation reinforces my belief in this. The literature and the art are quite timeless. 

• Like 9
  • Love 5

@bebebisous33 thanks. :)

It just popped out from my memory thats why i post it:)

My memory is not that reliable so here i am posting about it again.

Speaking of color red, Sh outfit in the couple rings scene is also red.

In the interview of PBG, he said  the director is very particular in details, that the audience may not noticed . That's the scene where Sh was listening to the music from his cellphone, the man and woman dancing, the man in white shirt and woman in red. Just like them. When they danced the salsa, mostly are in red and even the tablecloths are in red.

Since there's not much to do today, rewatching some episodes is the best thing to do

I'm not sure if i missed some dialogues in ep 1., but  i heard the word boyfriend ftom Jmj...when Sh asked to accompany her at malecon beach and Jmj answered, "you should go there with your boyfriend"

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, roshzanna said:

@bebebisous33 thanks. :)

It just popped out from my memory thats why i post it:)

My memory is not that reliable so here i am posting about it again.

Speaking of color red, Sh outfit in the couple rings scene is also red.

In the interview of PBG, he said  the director is very particular in details, that the audience may not noticed . That's the scene where Sh was listening to the music from his cellphone, the man and woman dancing, the man in white shirt and woman in red. Just like them. When they danced the salsa, mostly are in red and even the tablecloths are in red.

Since there's not much to do today, rewatching some episodes is the best thing to do

I'm not sure if i missed some dialogues in ep 1., but  i heard the word boyfriend ftom Jmj...when Sh asked to accompany her at malecon beach and Jmj answered, "you should go there with your boyfriend"

This is the picture where she wears her red dress covered by a grey coat.

In this, I have to disagree with PBG. From the beginning, it was clear that the director and writer paid a lot of attention to details (first episode, allusion to Roman Holidays, the zoom on the book which resembles their fateful encounter) hence there is not a single episode for me that is less good than the others. Even the episode 15 .... if you look at it, the break up doesn't happen immediately and at the end, we see KJH changing his mind. Sure, it is painful to see KJH's devastated face. However, he is affected later and for me, it ended on a positive note. I knew that KJH's determination and strong will would be able to destroy CSH's last inner wall. Her castle of guilt was self-created as she considered herself a cursed princess.

• Like 7
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 4

P.O spoke about SHK again, I can’t find a link that I can post here. Brief summary of the Interview on MBC Fm4u

Radio DJ: BF just ended, didn’t it?

P.O : yes.

Radio DJ: There has been a lot of talk regarding your description of SHK’s beauty. You must meet a lot of beautiful people, why single out SHK?Why do you mention her so much?

P.O : I have spoken about it because she is that beautiful, even amongst beautiful people she is more beautiful. I want everyone else to also realize just how beautiful which is why I keep talking about her.

Radio DJ : It’s to that level? Honestly, I have never seen her in real life. Could you describe it?

P.O : you know how we Koreans say that once in our life we should go and see the Baekdusan*? It’s like that, everyone should try and see SHK once in their life, even if it’s from a distance. 

Radio DJ: So if I could ask you to express the feeling of seeing her...? 

P.O : when you see her.... it’s like shalala (music)..

Radio DJ : like that? You mean she has this aura?

P.O : yes and it’s like you can hear background music when you see her. 

*Koreans consider Baekdusan( Mount Baekdu) as the place of their ancestral origin and as a sacred mountain, there is a huge crater lake on this mountain’s summit called the “Heaven’s lake”.

• Like 5
  • Love 9
  • Thanks 8