[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

4 hours ago, dukesa1122 said:

Am I the only one surprised why many people are not familiar with the “ssum” stage because that is something really common where I come from. Most lovers here dont automatically be lovers. They go through a process and thats what the koreans call it the “ssum” stage. In the “ssum” stage there is less to no skinship, so no kissing yet. This is where holding hands and maybe hugging happen. In this stage, the guy mostly does the effort of wooeing the girl. :wub:

@dukesa1122 Thanks so much for the additional information on "ssum".  My apologies for writing it as "some".  I used the spelling given on the Viki site.  I really love how I am learning so much more about the Korean culture.  Sadly, in America, I think the art of dating has all but died out.  Both in popular culture and in my son's generation, it seems to be more about "hooking up", group dates, or just texting.  One of the things I truly love about Korean dramas is that there is still this very intimate process of getting to know someone before engaging in sexual activities.  I know that television is not necessarily a complete or accurate depiction of culture but at least it still gives a very romantic view of how couples should grow together.  

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, thistle said:

That's what I thought, too.  In fact, it looks like both of them are about to cry.

I noticed CSH eyes too. It's puffy and red. Please dont let them kiss and the break up. Why are they crying? :sweat:

13 minutes ago, larrysouth said:

@dukesa1122 Thanks so much for the additional information on "ssum".  My apologies for writing it as "some".  I used the spelling given on the Viki site.  I really love how I am learning so much more about the Korean culture.  Sadly, in America, I think the art of dating has all but died out.  Both in popular culture and in my son's generation, it seems to be more about "hooking up", group dates, or just texting.  One of the things I truly love about Korean dramas is that there is still this very intimate process of getting to know someone before engaging in sexual activities.  I know that television is not necessarily a complete or accurate depiction of culture but at least it still gives a very romantic view of how couples should grow together.

No need to apologize. Not sure with the spelling as well but I'm sure it's not "some" haha 

That is actually the reason why I have come to love korean dramas. The culture is still there. Series are not about sex and nakedness for it to sell. No offense to western dramas though.

8 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

JH: Please send me away. Then keep watch as to how I will find my way back to my place.

After an episode of sweetness, that last line of the preview seems that JH and SH may separate after the next episode? If so, I was kind of expecting a separation of some sort from this drama, but we'll have to see. Or it could be misleading, I suppose.

Basing on the recaps you've been posting, I was also actually wondering why everyone is so cool that a CEO is having a relationship with his/her employee. In the real world, that will really sound an alarm to everyone. You cant help but favor the one you love, no matter how hard you avoid it AND if you can, your co-workers or direct boss will be having second thoughts to punish you or approach you because you're having a relationship with your boss's boss. I think them separating is necessary for this love team to work. Although, NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bawling:

• Like 11
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

JH: Please send me away. Then keep watch as to how I will find my way back to my place.

Yeah, they must be crying for sure.  

It's gonna be a very long two weeks until the next episode.  :(

• Like 7

1 hour ago, utkim said:

BoGum looks really handsome and manly ...it's a drool worthy gif

Lol...I've got crossed-eyes from staring multiple times at your beautiful gif!  Can't seem to get my eyes back to its original position....     :D

@gumtaek

Those super close-up of our OTP's supposedly first kiss....is making my adrenaline pumping, gal! I can't sleep cos their chemistry is eating at me....

It certainly looks like they'll separate as CSH has tears in her eyes when KJH holds her.....gonna have some separation sadness but I hope it'll only be for a short period. I'll protest if our OTP screen time is cut down by a lot due to the separation. It takes the cream off the cake!  

• Like 16

Thanks @stroppyse for the preview translation. I think the last sentence will be at the beginning of tomorrow’s episode. JinHyuk is going to SooHyun’s office to stop her so it may be what he will tell her. Let him go and watch him come back to her again. 

As for the illustration at the beginning.... the boy is crying and throughout this episode Jinhyuk had to deal with the ex-husband, Director Choi and being forced to transfer to Sokcho branch. He didn’t let Soohyun know anything and cried in silence. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

I think I have to agree that both of them will separate for a moment.. the last sentence that he said from my point of view, implying that he will come back for sure to SH side n JH want SH see him grow in the process, to be more mature n more stronger for her to lean on him more..

N the tears in SH eyes I think is not a sad one, more over its the opposite..it's happiness, maybe just maybe JH let SH to see something that will impress her and thus makes her has a teary eye..haha..(my wild imagination, again :phew:)

• Like 11

1 hour ago, dukesa1122 said:

I noticed CSH eyes too. It's puffy and red. Please dont let them kiss and the break up. Why are they crying? :sweat:

No need to apologize. Not sure with the spelling as well but I'm sure it's not "some" haha 

That is actually the reason why I have come to love korean dramas. The culture is still there. Series are not about sex and nakedness for it to sell. No offense to western dramas though.

@larrysouth & @dukesa1122

Actually, 썸 (sseom) is the hangeul transcription of "some". It is part of Konglish,  that is taking English words and using them with a different meaning. They are, of course, adapted to hangeul and the Korean phonetic system.

I don't know if someone has already posted this MV, but I am reminded of it every time I hear them mentioning it. The song was launched almost 5 years ago, so the concept should have been there for at least that long, shouldn't it?

Spoiler

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

I have just finished watching Encounter Ep7 with English subtitle, I really appreciate the story and script to let Kim Jin Hyuk and Cha Soo Hyun grow their feeling and gradually learn the real world. The relationship among people in Encounter are fun and excited to watch. 

-  Family: Kim Jin Hyuk is a son whom his parents dearly love and he also loves his family. His mom has just recovered from severe sickness, he can not sacrifice all of himself for just lover’s love. 

-  Work: Kim Jin Hyuk enjoys his work at the PR team but the Chaebeol owner unfairly intervened to relocate him away from PR team. Work is his future for his family and himself.  
-  Love: Kim Jin Hyuk develops his feeling to Cha Soo Hyun from interest to fond to like and to Love but the social and age gap is too wide for others to accept, in addition to the worst fact that Cha Soo Hyun had political obligation to this Chaebeol.

Kim Jin Hyuk shared thought with his dad reflect what he is facing from the book he used to read

"As long as you love someone, you must take effort but doing that is really hard"

Cha Soo Hyun's character has been created so well and reasonable why she has spent her life miserably in the lime light. Cha Soo Hyun's dad started his political life and involved with this chaebeol to be implicitly under their control for a big while.

Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Kyo are great actor/actress to portray the roles and deliver the best to audiences.(while it is very difficult to make audiences believe in the character because it is the 12-year age gap and Song Hye Kyo is Park Bo Gum’s close hyung’s just married wife) I feel like there are two people in the world named Kim Jin Hyuk and Cha Soo Hyun whom I cheer up to let them pass these obstacles and devils to finally have a happy life.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

Okay, I've seen enough of ep 7 now to guess that SH and JH are going to be separated. Under direction from WS' mother, the evil Director has had JH transferred down to the Sokcho Hotel, saying that SH's position has been put in jeopardy by JH and SH's relationship, and a warning that JH shouldn't think of talking to SH about his transfer since that will just put SH into an even worse situation.

Afterwards, as JH drives SH home in her car, he mentions that it's better to live with good memories than bad memories and that if they ever have undergo something unpleasant that their memories from Cuba and since would sustain them. SH becomes suspicious asking if they were going to part, but JH just says that it's only if.

So, I think that JH will accept the transfer down to Seokcho Hotel after all as a way of protecting SH, and asking SH to allow him to do so, and he'll work his way back up.

That's what I think anyway.

After a heart fluttering start, ep 7 so far is actually a bit sad with JH being threatened and Team Manager Kim's daughter figuring out that her father is having an affair with another woman.

Also, WS' mother is being truly evil, having decided to ruin both SH and her father if they don't comply to her wishes. JH is just an after thought in her path to their destruction. She's pretty scary. SH's mother is also evil, seeing her daughter only as something to be used, but there is something also rather pathetic about SH's mother rather than scary.

I rather do adore SH's father though who is sticking up for his daughter and for himself.

Well, it is than just a long distance relationship... it is not a real separation, unless he says, he is no longer her boyfriend. By allowing himself to be removed, JH gives his enemies the impression that he has understood the lesson. Then they will all think that CSH will move on from JH... like out of sight, out of mind.

As for JWS's mother, she is just a tyrant and I really hope, it backfires on her at some point.  

• Like 17

3 hours ago, gigivillaceran said:

Tom is the day that all of us will celebrate waaaah they so adorable the chemistry is daebak im sorry to ssc but park bo gum is so damn hot he is very much match to Song Hye Kyo Jinsoo Couple all the way waaaah...thank so much all guys for the update 

hahaha... i laugh when i saw your comment @gigivillaceran my heart just goes to PBG on this one too! high-five..

no need to be sorry, they are doing a great job... i think SSC are all so well aware, very supportive and are all so very educated not to mull over things like this.. 

I love how JH wanted to go far to prove himself.. criticism will not leave him unless he proves his worth. and i think he can do that... he is a very smart and hard working individual... i am sure he'll make it...! i feel that CSH will also lose something... just my two cents... and they'll both meet half-way and be happy! 

thankfully next week will be a busy holiday week as well.. otherwise i will go nuts waiting for the next episode if that "almost kiss" preview is the ending of tomorrow's episode!!! 

xoxo

• Like 13

52 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

"have a little something something"

1 hour ago, Hannahmiriam said:

Actually, 썸 (sseom) is the hangeul transcription of "some".

Thank you for correcting me. I laughed about the "a little something something" haha If we use that in a sentence then that would be "we have a little something something, you and I" :lol:

So wait, are they not "some" anymore? Is KJH her namjachingu??

10 minutes ago, KymberleeD said:

hahaha... i laugh when i saw your comment @gigivillaceran my heart just goes to PBG on this one too! high-five..

no need to be sorry, they are doing a great job... i think SSC are all so well aware, very supportive and are all so very educated not to mull over things like this.. 

I agree-gree :yum:

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

SH: Because I haven’t focused much on athletic pursuits, I don’t skate very well.
JH: You can learn! The skating rink is right by the amusement park, would you like to go to the amusement park?

.... and then she kicks a$$ and do some figure skating stunts on him :P 

Thank you so much for the translation @stroppyse. God knows, for people who has no access to videos (like me atm) your translations are a life saver! :wub:

I continue to think that the dialogue in this drama isn't all that special. Rather, it's the charm of the OTP and their respective mannerisms and looks that infuse their lines and scenes with more sweetness and emotion than the dialogue alone indicates. I suppose that's why the acting is so critical, however. :)

I've been reading posts from some people that the script is really not that good and that its thanks to our leads the drama is salvaged. It's a bit too harsh since all the other details are perfect but I cant help but wonder. Maybe because I only understand the translated version. It would have been better if i really understand Hangul then i can judge the script.

Yes. JH has indicated that he wants to move beyond just having a some. And, SH later on refers to JH's behaviour as being that of a boyfriend. It's a cute convo.

Edit... Daebak! Why isn't everyone talking about this then?! 

• Like 9
  • LOL 1

One of the things that Song Hye Kyo does so well as an actress is her facial expressions when she is in dialogue with Park Bo Gum.  Watch how her eyes move side to side as she looks intently at him, as they talk face to face.  You get this profound feeling that she is essentially reading his face like a book.  CSH, due to her background, is probably constantly gauging people she deals with to determine their true ulterior motive.  However, with KJH, he is what he is and is being totally sincere with her.  It is beautiful to see how she constantly reads him and gets a slightly puzzled face thereafter because she is finding it so hard to believe that he is, in fact, being sincere with her.  Thereafter, however, she gives this slight serine face like she is elated that he truly likes her just for being herself, and not because she is an Assemblyman's daughter or a CEO.  It's that ability to emote on screen which is why I give this series such high marks so far.  Let's hope they continue to deliver this beautiful emotional relationship development for each other throughout the rest of the series.

@dukesa1122 I agree with you in that I can't really comment too much on the script writing/dialogue because I assume that what I am reading in the subtitles is a dynamic translation as opposed to a literal translation of the actors Korean words.  I am assuming that they need to take some liberties in translating in order for us to really understand some of the more nuanced dialogue that might not translate well from Korean to English.

Edited by larrysouth
Additional Comments
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, rocat said:

Gah...can’t wait to watch 5,6,7!

i m out of the country and hv no reliable access to the internet. But hv some tonight. Can’t wait to join in the comments. Heh

Well, the good thing there is that you will have a lot to enjoy all at once.  :)

10 minutes ago, larrysouth said:

.....It's that ability to emote on screen which is why I give this series such high marks so far.  Let's hope they continue to deliver this beautiful emotional relationship development for each other throughout the rest of the series.

Exactly.  Our two leads really know how to deliver emotion.  

Recently I watched another drama that had a good start but the actors delivered their lines in such a flat way (their boredom came through in a massive way) that it really scuttled the show and it all went down hill to the ruin of the drama. 

A great actor can read a dictionary and make it sound fascinating.  That skill is worth its weight in gold.

• Like 13
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 3

@larrysouth I get so happy if someone else is feeling the same way I'm feeling with my admiration to SHK. And I couldn't have said it better. Her acting has always been stellar for me but with every kdrama, she still manages to surprise me. I have to say though, by far, this is the best acting she has ever done. I dont know why. I liked her acting when she was Oh Young (I had to google this because i forgot her name in TWTWB haha not good with names), however, she nailed CSH, so much. :wub:

Correct. That's why I dont really rely on people commenting that the script sucks if I know that they dont even read/write hangul. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

@stroppyse About JWS's mother, chairman Kim, I have noticed that she often uses metaphors for human beings. They are either a thing or a horse or a dog. She threatened JH last week that the dog might starve to death. In this episode, she compared assemblyman Cha to a racehorse ("a racehorse that doesn't listen to his owner is risky"). As conclusion, she doesn't consider the others as humans, they have no right. They just need to listen to her orders and obey.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3