[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

0002749573_003_20181219225827852.jpg
Screen%2BShot%2B2018-12-19%2Bat%2B5.23.23%2BPM.png
Screen%2BShot%2B2018-12-19%2Bat%2B5.23.16%2BPM.png

Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium doloremque laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem.

Nationwide ratings for episode 7: 8.6% (cr.Naver TV)

1. [+4322, -192] I feel like if you were in a long distance relationship with a guy like Park Bo Gum in the drama then you won't be nervous at all... Seeing how they travelled for an hour and 40 minutes because they missed them reminded me of my first love, I like how the drama brings out nostalgia. A nice drama. A pretty drama.

2. [+2369, -110] Park Bo Gum's Kim Jin Hyuk ㅠㅠ I'm knocked down by his eye gaze and acting ㅠㅠㅠ

3. [+1988, -80] The CEO's energy ㅜㅜ What's with the ending

4. [+1933, -60] "Call director Choi." Wow seriously so richard simmons cool. 

5. [+1845, -95] If Park Bo Gum didn't take on that role then who would've played it... ..source @https://ddoboja.blogspot.com/2018/12/spoilerswednesday-drama-roundup.html?m=1....credit @bogumtestimonial

• Like 8

On 12/9/2018 at 10:08 PM, bebebisous33 said:

Out of fun, I would like to analyze the drawings presented in each episode because they can give a lot of clues about the situation of our protagonists.

In the first episode, I took a picture of this scene because it reveals a lot about CSH.

She is a princess living in a huge palast. However, when she is introduced, she is alone in a small pavilion next to the castle. Not only she lives far away from the commoners, she is also alone in her castle. Another observation is the size of the princess. While she is wandering alone (yellow arrow), she seems so small compared to the castle and the flying horse. All this outlines not only her powerlessness but her loneliness too. Striking is the color of that scene: this world is so dark underlining the coldness of her world. This is indeed a depressing world, however the action of the princess (leaving the castle and walking alone) reveals one positive aspect: her curiosity and her desire to get close to people. In the beginning of that scene, we saw her looking from her pavilion to the outside word. This really shows how uncomfortable she feels in that huge and cold palace. Everything appears to be so dark, yet on the other side there is this young man living in a multicolored world. After travelling, CSH is able to leave that black world behind and meets our hero on Cuba.

Striking in this scene is the contrast between the first scene and this one. There are the sun and the moon shining, we can feel the warmth from that drawing. For CSH, this must be quite a happy experience. The other difference is the size of our characters. They are both equally "small" compared to the world (moon, tree, sea, cloud). The equity in size shows that CSH is not different from JH in wealth. Then the "princess" is not just black, there is gold and yellow on her dress. So this illustrates that she is feeling differently from before (first drawing): she is opening up and even warming up. It indicates a happy time for her too.

credit to @Jemrie 

In this scene, JH is much smaller than the princess CSH which outlines that their position have changed. This outlines the great gap between her social status and his. Moreover, the rich clothes and ornaments contrast with the simple clothes JH is wearing. This reinforces the great difference in wealth and social position between our protagonists. We can also observe another contrast: JH is the only one who is moving. He is free, unlike CSH who can not move because there is this castle behind her. It looks as if the castle and the princess would be only one body. You can not separate them from each other. In my opinion, our heroine is portrayed  as a imprisoned princess but from JH's perspective, she doesn't seem to be trapped as the castle is behind her.  Another interesting observation is the red shoe. Like I had mentioned it before, red is linked to blood, life and passion. By offering her a shoe, JH is bringing life and light into her "world". With a red shoe, she will feel alive again.

Reveal hidden contents

Since I have already analysed this fourth drawing in a former post, I won't repeat myself. But I posted it again for another purpose. You will find out it later. In the final drawing from the last episode, we can see another difference between the second and third picture. Our protagonists are together again, yet the distance has been reduced to the point that they are now together. Notice that on Cuba, the distance between them was huge, in the scene where he offers the red shoe, JH is already very close to CSH. He is even "speaking" to her with his gesture. While they were just facing each other (second and third picture), here they are facing their enemies. Now, they are even touching each other, JH is holding CSH's hand. What also caught my attention is that while they are looking at the snakes, it seems that they are acting together without speaking to each other. It was as if JH knew what CSH needs, just like CSH knows what she needs to do. Both are protecting each other without asking each other before.

This drawing reveals how their relationship has changed. They are no longer strangers, rather quite intimate. Finally, I would like to point out, all these drawing have something in common: the color black. So the viewers can see that this is a rather cold world. Even on Cuba, the tree doesn't look green but dark brown and black which indicates that CSH is not able to leave this dark and cold world behind, even if she left her country/"palace". Remember that she couldn't meet JH at the cafe due to her business with the new hotel. 

@foolmoondance @alekaonu @USAFarmgirl @icyphoenix

very impressive. are you a writer?

Edited by bebebisous33
don't quote videos, gifs and pictures. Remove these next time please
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Far^away said:

@gumtaek what a great news! I was waiting for this like forever. *cries of happiness*

I finally watched ep7 and surprisingly KJH’s conversation with his dad was the most heartwarming. Maybe because I am a parent myself and I’m so touched with what KJH said about being rich... he was thankful for his parents and as a parent myself, I wanted my children to have that mindset too. (KJH’s appa has such a sexy voice LOL)

And CSH’s strut at the end of the episode... daebak. You can feel her determination...

In Encounter ep7. I am impressed with KJH and his dad's scene too. KJH is a very good son who usually helps his parents at the fruit shop and he spends time in the library during his parents' busy working late. 

In the scene with dad, KJH shared what he is enduring and how he appreciates his parents from his thorough thought with positive mind. 

KJH:  "A novelist I like wrote that as long as you love someone, you must take effort. But doing that is really hard." 

DAD:  " Effort is something like that. It does not mean it'll work out. You have to struggle for it. Of course, it's hard. 

.... You had to put in a lot of effort and struggle in everything. Your parents could not support you very well. I always feel sorry about that."

KJH:  "I believe I was born rich. Dad, some kids had trouble paying for tuition. There are many friends who had to pay back student loans. They're still paying back their loans today. You paid for my tuition while I attended university, made me food, and provide a house to sleep in. I am a very fortunate son." :love: :bawling:

Then KJH has to inform his parents about relocating to far away. (I hate Chaebeol family more and more to threaten others.)

PS.  Park Bo Gum in real life is also a very good son as his Kim Jin Hyuk's role to support his family as the breadwinner.

[SBS Star] 4 Celebrities Who Beat Poverty and Became the Breadwinner at an Early Age
https://news.sbs.co.kr/news/endPage.do?news_id=N1005062853

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, gumtaek said:

1. [+4322, -192] I feel like if you were in a long distance relationship with a guy like Park Bo Gum in the drama then you won't be nervous at all... Seeing how they travelled for an hour and 40 minutes because they missed them reminded me of my first love, I like how the drama brings out nostalgia. A nice drama. A pretty drama.

Couldn't agreed more with this, KJH will run quickly to CSH if he misses her, like Charlie Puth songs lyrics "I'm only one call away, I'll be there to save the day. Superman got nothing on me"

@ahdrianaa thanks for that information, can't wait to see SHK unnie wear that tiara too :love:

Any this is just for fun, I found it on my IG explore

Spoiler

Cr to _raflesya

• Like 1
  • LOL 13

Thanks @ahdrianaa for that news...aww, I’m such a proud fan of hers :D . Can’t wait to see her in that tiara .

As much as i wish to see Boyfriend next week, but seeing how tight their schedules are, I hope they can have some free times at christmas holidays, spend some times with their loves one, families etc....I'm fine with this...Boyfriend fighting! 

But they better give us a proper kiss for us to survive in 2 weeks ;)

mUGw2m.jpg

dc

• Like 17
  • LOL 3

After the previous episodes I had read a few blog posts elsewhere mentioning how this character was limited/not suited for Bogums come back, or JH's apparent lack of ambition and other desires/character building. I really wanted to write a post regarding that but I'm glad I waited since this episode gives us quite a lot.

-First, I really want to appreciate Park Bogums acting. I have only viewed him in "I remember you" previously, so I didnt start viewing this drama as one of his die hard fans, but I am totally won over by him by every episode that passes. This is what an episode feels like without JH's smile- yes, that much critiqued, simple gesture of his - I found I was smiling much less. I agree with the knetz comments saying that his sadness made me feel a lump in my throat. He tried to keep up appearances, he smiled in front of SH - but you could sense the sadness radiating off of him. I realised how much his typical 'JH' smile contributed to how much I enjoy this show. And there's so much still to follow, I think this character and plot will allow him really flex his acting muscles, especially with what's coming up. 

- He is free spirited and poetic by nature. That easy way in which he soothes a moment by rephrasing a quote, or talks about his love of books and travel, art. If JH was truly just a candy stereotype, he is leagues above by having his own  personality. I like how he brings that aspect of his life into his work - he suggested a masquerade for the year end event. I get an inkling that his romantic exchanges with SH are inspired by literature more than real experience, as another viewer also said. 

-He does care about his job. He takes care of the small details - he went to personally reach out to the celebs for the sokcho opening, he was totally immersed in his PR assignment on the masquerade. It further proved his tendency to go "all in" when be is focused onto something, whether that be work or SH. I could feel how much of a toll it was taking on him when the colleagues implied he got in here through connections, or that that CEO would automatically reinstate his job- undermining his own talent and hardwork to reach there. Considering how much his parents value him as the older, dutiful son who has never brought them much trouble, and that scene where he talks with his father, he knows the value of stability and integrity, but he also knows the real value of being "rich"- and its not monetary in the least for him. I think he will go Sokcho, because I see it as the best way for him to prove himself on his own accord and away from the nonsense the Seoul office is plagued with.

-The artwork featured in this episode - I got the feeling that even when "sun"/JH is sad, its not obvious because of his nature - but when the "moon"/SH finally understood him, it became that much more apparent/overflowing. A sad and simple interpretation. 

Other thoughts
-SHK is doing a spectacular job. That quiet moment when she realised how much JH was suffering behind the scenes and that power stride into the office. CLAPS.
-I really like her father. He is fighting back and it's gonna be a tough fight!
-For the first time ever, I felt a bit sad for Woo seok. There is a loneliness just emanating off of him, esp in that scene where he was at the window at the end. And even the divorce announcement- unforgivable as it was, his expression afterwards conveyed it wasn't any easier for him. And is there a trend with his gifts being returned?:P But I hope he escapes his cage too, what a suffocating life. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Telemad

In love with the boss

77.png

Boon Chan...

A germaphobe is infatuated with his slovenly employee in Clean With Passion For Now, while a CEO and a younger man meet in Encounter

In the South Korean period drama Love In The Moonlight (2016), Park Bo-gum's dashing prince Yi Yeong was paired with Kim Yoo-jung's street-smart Ra-on.

It was a ratings hit and won popularity awards for its leads at South Korea's Baeksang Arts Awards.

The former on-screen lovers are now fighting for eyeballs in separate shows - Park's romantic drama Encounter and Kim's romantic comedy Clean With Passion For Now are out at the same time. 

Encounter also boasts Song Hye-kyo, who is making her highly anticipated return to TV after her marriage to Descendants Of The Sun (2016) co-star Song Joong-ki.

But despite the double dose of star power, I find myself enjoying Clean With Passion For Now more.

Kim, who is just 19, is making the transition from child star to grown-up actress nicely, while her co-stars Yoon Kyun-sang (Six Flying Dragons, 2015 to 2016) and Song Jae-rim (Our Gap-soon, 2016 to 2017) have also made their mark in K-dramas.

Kim played a eunuch in disguise in Love In The Moonlight and here, she is cast as the slovenly Gil O-sol, a former student athlete finding out it is not so easy to overcome life's obstacles ("I'd jump over all the hurdles in front of me... But I keep falling these days.").

A laugh-out-loud moment in the first episode has the game actress wearing a horse-head costume and sprinting down the street with a trash cart. It is a situation both desperate and ridiculous as O-sol tries to avoid getting spotted by the man she has a crush on while covering for her father, a trash collector.

After many attempts, she finally lands a job at a cleaning company run by Jang Seon-kyul (Yoon), who is good-looking and wealthy - as well as a germaphobe. 

Despite his aversion to the unkempt O-sol (who nevertheless has glowing skin) in their initial run-ins, he finds himself constantly thinking of her after she kisses him in a bid to thwart some unwanted attention. But first, he faints from shock at the thought of all the bacteria and diseases she could have passed to him.

Yoon nails it as the normally poised boss who somehow ends up losing his cool in his encounters with her, including a sequence in which Seon-kyul drives a drunk O-sol home, deathly afraid she might throw up at any moment.

Director No Jong-chan (Personal Taste, 2010) finds a nice balance of humour, romance and drama - working in observations of society, such as the difficulties young people face getting a job - in this entertaining adaptation of the popular Webtoon of the same name.

Encounter is also about how opposites attract, but it has a very different vibe.

Song Hye-kyo plays Cha Soo-hyun, a woman who has always lived in the spotlight, first as the daughter of a prominent politician and later as the daughter-in-law of a wealthy family. Even after her divorce, Soo-hyun, now running a successful chain of hotels, has obligations to her formidable former mother-in-law.

In Cuba for business, she meets the younger, carefree Kim Jin-hyuk (Park) and they spend an enchanted evening together in Havana. Later, back in South Korea, Jin-hyuk finds out he has been employed by her company.

There is a chilliness to Song's beauty that suits the role, while Park's good-natured sunniness is a perfect fit for his character.

But their pairing did not quite work for me in the first episode.

Having snagged Cuba as a filming location, director Park Shin-woo (Jealousy Incarnate, 2016) and screenwriter Yoo Young-a (Like For Likes, 2016) seemed content to let the exotic location do the heavy lifting, when the focus should have been on the characters instead.

Things improve in the next episode, with Park Bo-gum exuding charm front and centre with close-ups and ice-melting smiles. A character remarks that Jin-hyuk is so good-looking, he could afford to be a little mean.

But she misses the point - niceness is at the heart of Park's wholesome appeal.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on December 20, 2018, with the headline 'In love with the boss'. Print Edition | Subscribe......source credit @https://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/entertainment/in-love-with-the-boss
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, Jemrie said:

When watching this scene, I noticed all the pictures were taken with them both looking at the camera. I wished there was a picture where he is turned like this since it would look like he was kissing her on the cheeks :-)  Much sweeter.

Edited by vvpal
Please do not quote IGs! Thanks! :)

I loved this episode because of the following:

1. The writer and director are doing a great job in lettings us feel how suffocated her life. It's easy to see why her ex-husband was trying to set her free. In his flashback, we see that he was pretending with the "other" woman to make it appear they were having an affair. So far, he still hasn't turned evil or mean. At this point, I feel a little sorry for him.  We'll see if he continues to have real love for her in that he'll continue to help her despite his heart breaking.

2. Loved the scene between Jin Hyuk and his father. It was heartwarming. The scene with his mother was too. I love how they are close, but they still give him his privacy. The mother was interested about the shoes, but didn't want to invade his privacy....instead she let her imagination run while as to what the shoes could mean.....:lol:

3. Loved the scene between Soo Hyun and her mother--in that she stood firm and put her in her place. Her mother is probably the most unlikable character in this drama, next to her mother in law. 

4. So, so, so happy that Jin Hyuk's friend didn't turn evil despite the fact that she really likes him herself. So proud when she called Soo Hyun to let her know what was going on, but even more proud of her when she finally told Jin Hyuk that someone approached her to lie about him.

5. I love how we're learning more and more about the side characters. The Soo Hyun's father the Congressman, the driver and the manager. We see now that they are all friends. I'm sure there is more story there that we will find out about. I actually think the driver and manager would make a great couple.

6. Thrilled beyond words when the Congressman didn't give in to Soo Hyun's ex-mother in law; not let her have her way. She has such a empty existence to me--so lifeless.

7. Love the way Soo Hyun and Jin Hyuk's relationship is developing. I want them to start communicating to each other a little more. At the moment, they are busy trying to "protect" each other, but they are doing it in silos. Communication is the key to a successful relationship.  

I could go on and on, but will stop here--waiting for ep 8......:wub::wub:

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I'm so glad folks are enjoying the show.

I'm enjoying the show, but in ways I hadn't anticipated.

I came for BoGum but I find that Jang Seung-Jo as Jung Woo-Seok that has me fascinated.  While I'm not shipping Woo-Seok with Soo-Hyun, I feel his pain for the lost opportunity for that relationship. If love is an action, he has been loving Soo-Hyun for a while but somehow never was able to let her understand his feelings.  I think so far all his interventions, from the divorce on, has been to set Soo-Hyun free, which is what he thinks she wanted.

BoGum is lovely as usual.  I usually fine with the age differences between adults in drama, so long as the couple seem to have similar emotional ages.  Jin-Hyeok's youth is apparent and his lack of world experience is obvious.  I'm looking forward to his growth over the course of the drama.

It's a familiar story in drama, rich-wounded-closed off enchanted by cute/less financially resourced/optimistic youth. The difference is which gender is the rich/suave city person and who is the "Candy."

Usually when Candy is a girl, there is more trauma in the back story. 

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, gumtaek said:

Because JinSoo couple are too far when they spotted filming, I wanna use telescope for a better view....:lol: (just kidding)

Thanks @gumtaek !

Btw, regarding the voting poll on daum, I'm having a hard time signing up for a new member to be able to cast a vote. I've tried many times but failed!Can't sign-up,I'm sorry:tears:

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, caileysmiley said:

Because JinSoo couple are too far when they spotted filming, I wanna use telescope for a better view....:lol: (just kidding)

Thanks @gumtaek !

Btw, regarding the voting poll on daum, I'm having a hard time signing up for a new member to be able to cast a vote. I've tried many times but failed!Can't sign-up,I'm sorry:tears:

Sign up via Kakao. It only asks for your email add and password. Everything gets translated in English. Good luck!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jemrie said:

Kim Jinhyuk transforms into hotel front clerk #tvNencounter #ParkBogum

Du1p_AEVsAAx2aM.jpg

So this is the hairstyle during the almost kiss  :w00t:

Which means, CSH went all the way to meet KJH right? Right?

KISS KISS KISS KISS KISS!

p/s: unfortunately I won't be able to catch Ep8 till next week so please keep updating and I'll be forever grateful!

@ahdrianaa you were right. hehe. can't see her with my foggy eyes anymore.

• Like 7
  • LOL 5
  • Thanks 1