[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

Is it just me or everytime the camera showed the scenes of MIL and WS, the room is always dark, the lightning is sad, gloomy and I feel so suffocated.

I love how Sec Jang slowly loosen up as the last sentence when she showed CSH the rumor about JH, she said : what should we do with JH; she definitely truly show concerns about JH and CSH. 

To me, driver Nam seems to be wise and experienced  as whenever he said something to CSH, they all come out so precise and genuine.

” Nothing can stop the flower from blooming”

”JH has his own life, and if he chose this life, he has already prepared for it.”

Never any drama that costs me so much energy and time as well as excite my adrenaline and emotions like Encounter.

Talking about going to other drama blogs site and defend for Encounter, I never did that to any drama but there I am, typing my response to those anti-fan, hater like a lonely keyboard warrior fighting against bunches of ignorance.

I understand and respect that people have different opinions but why can’t they do the same, why why why ???? 

Anyway, I come to realize you can’t just change people’s prejudices as they from beginning don’t have  open eyes when watching drama.

And realize Encounter is only for people who enjoy fine art, not for ones who have common taste Hahahaha, that makes me feel so superior. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Just a quick one about rating! I was concerned and disappointed this week and thought I'd better research and see if I should be disappointed about it as I was. It's hard to really judge because of the difference in cable and public ratings and there was a really good post a few pages back that really helped but I still needed real life example to benchmark it against, for my own sanity.

So I checked a popular TVN drama from 2018.

Spoiler

From what I understand "What's wrong with secretary Kim" was a really popular drama in 2018 and it aired on cable channel so it's a good comparison (now I know it's completely different story/cast power and so on but it was a popular show, so that is the only criteria used for this comparison). No idea how to insert images... :sweatingbullets:

WWWSK's lowest rating was 5.4 and highest was 8.6.

Encounter's lowest rating so far is 7.8% and highest is 10.3. 

Now I wasn't able to finish WWWSK but it was everywhere I looked and I knew how popular it was, correct me if I am wrong. 

In summary, I am no longer as sad about the ratings now since Encounter is well above the average! I am just hoping that it bounces back to 9ish or higher! That is what I want for the rest of the series. Please God help us... :D

• Like 7
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 3

42 minutes ago, Tola Ir said:

Just a quick one about rating! I was concerned and disappointed this week and thought I'd better research and see if I should be disappointed about it as I was. It's hard to really judge because of the difference in cable and public ratings and there was a really good post a few pages back that really helped but I still needed real life example to benchmark it against, for my own sanity.

Hide contents

From what I understand "What's wrong with secretary Kim" was a really popular drama in 2018 and it aired on cable channel so it's a good comparison (now I know it's completely different story/cast power and so on but it was a popular show, so that is the only criteria used for this comparison). No idea how to insert images... :sweatingbullets:

Now I wasn't able to finish WWWSK but it was everywhere I looked and I knew how popular it was, correct me if I am wrong. 

In summary, I am no longer as sad about the ratings now since Encounter is well above the average! I am just hoping that it bounces back to 9ish or higher! That is what I want for the rest of the series. Please God help us... :D

You may want to check what I've posted about ratings on page 146. The data will make you happier about Encounter's ratings.:)

Cupid Mr. Nam

• Like 4
  • LOL 11

49161265_387632478474950_8777139155437092864_n.jpg?zoom=3&resize=360%2C218&ssl=1TVN

K-DRAMA

Key Moments In Episode 10 Of “Encounter”

By abbyinhallyuland | January 5, 2019

LONG DISTANCE RELATIONSHIP SEEMS TO BE SUITING WELL THE LOVE COUPLE OF ENCOUNTER.

After feasting on cute romance highs, viewers would have surely forgiven the skip of Encounter dose last week because of that extra lingering sweet kiss of the drama’s 10th episode.

It’s baffling how the taxing conflict hounding the main characters of Encountercomplements the tranquilizing mood that has been limned since the drama’s first episode.

Encounter

In all honesty, Encounter is for patient viewers – those who love taking time to savor the quiet and meaningful moments of the series.

For its tenth chapter, Encounter strengthens the love connection of Soo Hyun and Jin Hyuk to prepare for the showdown with the villains.

Encounter Recaps: Eps 1&2Ep3Ep4Ep5Ep6Ep7Ep8, Ep9

Encounter

“MY JOB IS TO THINK OF YOU”

Catching up on the times they missed each other, Soo Hyun teases Jin Hyuk of not feeling the same way. He smiles and shows a passage from the book he is reading which made Soo Hyun beam.

If the sea’s job is to make waves, mine is to think of you.

Reunited, the two go for a quiet meal together, with the hotel’s manager diverting the guests to a different place so the two can have privacy while they eat.

Sharing how Mrs. Lee’s advice pushed her to drive to Sokcho, Jin Hyuk agrees how his lady friend knows how to share words that matter. On that note, he reveals his disappointment over the “time off” she requested. He explains how Soo Hyun’s fears of him being hurt means she does not trust that he can overcome problems they should solve together. Quickly apologizing, Soo Hyun asks him to go easy on her since she was quick to realize her mistake – that’s why she rushes to be with him.

DRIVING MISS SOO HYUN

Mr. Nam shows up to grant Jin Hyuk’s request of driving Soo Hyun back to Seoul. While heading to the city, Mr. Nam gives his two cents about his boss’ relationship situation by urging her to think of her own life and not leverage every decision she has to make thinking of her parents or the hotel. Narrating his old sob story about the woman he did not pursue, Soo Hyun playfully mentions Manager Kim’s name making her driver cutely flustered.

Meanwhile, Chairman Cha and Soo Hyun’s mother meet again to discuss about their children’s marriage. Begging on her knees, Soo Hyun’s mother pleads for another chance, but Chairman Cha is resolved to finding a suitable partner for her son.

Encounter

VIDEO CALL DATE

Preparing to sleep, Soo Hyun declines Jin Hyuk’s video call request so the latter calls to bargain for her to try new things.

Soo Hyun obliges and the two engage on a sweet and casual conversation free from love woes. Just like typical lovers, they share trivial stories and exchange mushy lines to make each other smile.

The next day Manager Kim is on cloud nine as Donghwa Hotel is featured on a prestigious magazine for its impeccable service. It turns out that the mother of the little girl who lost her teddy bear is a journalist and has written an amazing feature about Jin Hyuk going beyond extra mile as a hotel staff.

Amidst an opportunity to summon Jin Hyuk back to the head office, Soo Hyun denies Manager Kim’s suggestion thinking about how her boyfriend won’t like the idea.

WOO SUK’S PERSISTENCE

Despite Soo Hyun’s polite refusal to reunite with him, Woo Suk pushes to futile attempts to win his ex-wife’s heart. Showering her office with flowers and love note, he even patiently waits for her to show up at a lounge, but she did not appear.

Over at the villains lair, Director Choi connives with a staff handling the Cuba hotel business to mess up the deal by sending an email of not preserving the garden, which is the major stipulation of the contract that made the owner agree to sell his property.

Emergency meetings are held placing Soo Hyun on a dire need to reclaim the deal. Upon knowing the situation, Jin Hyuk takes a few days off to go to Cuba remembering how he had met the land owner when he traveled in Cuba last time.

Encounter
(Screenshot from VIU PH)
Encounter

BACK IN CUBA

Unable to find a way to reach landowner Samuel, Jin Hyuk camps on the house where he met him the first time and woke up to his face curiously peering on him.

Letting him read the letter he wrote, he pleads for another chance and explain the misunderstanding. He also shares his own story of understanding his pain since he is also in the same position due to his favorite neighborhood playground that will soon vanish. Samuel asks Jin Hyuk to wait for his reply in the morning.

Soo Hyun figures out that her boyfriend went to Cuba for her and the company. As soon as she arrived in the country, she starts looking for him in the city. She goes to the restaurant where they shared a meal together and was supposed to meet as well before they went back to Seoul.

Spotting a note from the restaurant’s dedication board, she reads a message left by Jin Hyuk asking if she has a boyfriend. Just then, Jin Hyuk enters the place and sees his woman reading his note with a smile.

Encounter
Encounter
Encounter

A KISS UNDER THE STARS

Breaking in to the already closed sunset viewing deck, Jin Hyuk and Soo Hyun catch up on the former’s unannounced journey to salvage the broken deal caused by the paid employee of evil Director Choi.

Through a phone call, the all important news from landowner Samuel is received by Soo Hyun – Donghwa Hotel reclaimed the deal. Elated, Jin Hyuk can’t contain his success and shares the happy moment — by sealing it with a heart-stopping kiss with his girlfriend.

ENCOUNTER EPISODE 10 AFTERTHOUGHTS

Man that was a long-sweet-we-are-jealous-of-Song-Hye-Kyo kiss! *grin Yes, that was really my first comment after watching this week’s episode 10.

Encounter has been maintaining that classy narration which had the characters engage in clear communication inside the story. Even the evil characters collude in a restrained and respectful manner different from those melodramas with exaggerated let’s-make-the-main-characters suffer to the hilt cliche.

If I may also say, Woo Suk is really breaking my heart, not in a second-lead syndrome level. But from the course the drama has been taking, his character deserves all the group hug in the world. *chuckle

This new melodrama trend that Encounterhas also joined is a good news since the delicate narrative pays more attention to the message of the story. That’s what the followers have been enjoying in the last nine chapters.

The last three weeks of Jin Hyuk and Soo Hyun’s story leans to a downpour of emotions – of course wrap in relaxed approach.

As the love birds of Encounter proves that love is for two brave people willing to take each other’s pain, viewers are expected to feel those contemplative nudge of appreciating little things that we tend to overlook when relationship problems seem too hard to handle.

ABOUT THE WRITER

abbyinhallyuland reads and sleeps a lot when she is not traveling. Her calendar reminders are mostly K-Drama broadcast schedules and birthdays of her favorite Korean actors. Promoting K-Drama watching as stress therapy is her life advocacy. She is fond of Spencer Reid, Kenshin Himura, Starwars saga, Haruki Murakami and Hunter x Hunter.

Favorite Korean Dramas: Reply 1988, Nine, Misaeng, Gaksital, Discovery of Love, Because This is My First Life, Descendants of the Sun, My Love from the Star, Healer, Punch, You’re Beautiful, Coffee Prince, Princess Hours, The Greatest Love, Sungkyunkwan Scandal, and City Hunter

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

H (“Among a multitude of people, I stare up at that one star”). The star reminds him of CSH and that’s why when he recites this verse, he starts thinking about her. In the last mentioned verse, the star is a metaphor for a loved one because before people were mentioned. This personification explains why JH starts thinking of CSH and their different encounters: “Where , when and as what will the two of us,You, one so warm, and me, one so tender, meet again?”.

While looking at the stars and starry night and reciting that poem, we have the impression that JH is wishing to see CSH very soon. This is not a coincidence because don’t forget the expression “when you wish upon a star”. Stars are linked to inspiration, dreams, aspiration, guidance, pursuits and magic. Indeed, CSH serves JH as an aspiration, she is his guide… Later, CSH remarks that this feels magical 

CSH as star comes down to him… she is followed by shooting stars. And we all know that a shooting star is associated to wish as well. The issue with the hotel has not only disappeared, but also his girlfriend has come to him and his biggest wish has come true: “as what will the two of us… meet again?

Your analysis about this illustration is on point, she falls down from the sky like a shooting star. 

JH and CSH fighting and enduring the pain in order to be together reminds me of Dostoevsky quotes : “there is only one thing that I dread: not to be worthy of my suffering.” 

Yes, if there is meaning of life, then there must be meaning for their pain and suffering. 

Whatever they are enduring right now, even the most difficult circumstances will take up their cross and give them opportunities to add deeper meaning of life.

• Like 10

@bebebisous33 whoa... I am always amazed by your analysis, the room, oblongs, colour, paintings, poetry and the characters, about the star and JH at the garden, it's really. I imagine someone who really miss his love, want to meet her and tell her that he loves her and latter we see that steamy kiss after all those difficulties. About JWS I do agree that he is stubborn in a negative way, he is too blind to see, too deaf to hear, he only full of himself and I think he underrated JH, I feel throguh the way he look at JH before CSH announce their "some relationship." He should learn how to listen and accept. 

@leedonghaek keep it coming chingu, I love every gif you post. :wub:

@shyguitar well maybe that is promise ring, given by JH after that blushing balcony kiss, or before B)

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Not to mention that I think SHK had trained as a ballerina in her youth.  Just seeing the words "balcony kiss" makes me blush now. That was a seriously hot few seconds. :D

She trained as a figure skater :D

•••••••••••••••••

@bebebisous33

I agree that WS needs a lot of growing up to do. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Tola Ir said:

Reveal hidden contents

WWSK was widely popular among my younger friends and I followed the recap of the drama every week and watched several episodes of WWSK as well. The 2 dramas I think are made by the same production company. Unfortunately, a lot of my friends who typically watch Kdrama are not keen watching encounter due to the age gap. So, “Encounter” indeed face an uphill battle from the beginning and given this circumstances, the rating is  very good. The other complain is that the drama is slow or boring and I think it’s a matter of taste since I don’t feel that way when I watch this drama. Through out watching the drama, I thought it was really  beautiful and romantic. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

Spoiler

Maybe the issue is the ratings are going down instead of up. It was steady on 8-9% before they took a break.

Or maybe because this is Song Hye Kyo and Park Bo Gum we are talking about here, both actors are at the top of KEnt list. No. 6&8 in Forbes list but firsts among actors and actresses so the expectation is really high.

I mean everyone on the production team must have thaanked the stars when both accepted to do the project.

• Like 8

I have a feeling it has something to do with the two week break

Plus it airs on a weekday, on a cable TV channel and so close to New Year’s Day

I expect it to be higher next week. 

Then again, as much as I want it to be double digits from now on, if it doesn’t reach that it’s okay, as long as the story is topnotch till the end

I have no doubt this drama will achieve massive international success once it airs in more countries

I only wish the two leads can promote it more, you know what I mean? Like an interview here and there or something, or a SNS post (tho PBG retweets and tweets every now and then)

Just my two cents

• Like 8

I was also wondering why there too little promotion from the leads on this drama. 

And right you are @stardustvoid, the drama has been consistent in delivering beauty in every possible way starting from the acting to the cinematography, music and animation. It is a treat to the eyes just watching this drama :heart:

@stroppyse

Here:

Spoiler

Haha!

• Like 8
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, beebeep said:

.the other complain is that the drama is slow or boring and I think it’s a matter of taste since I don’t feel that way when I watch this drama. Through out watching the drama, I thought it was really  beautiful and romantic. 

Agree with this..I usually prefer dramas that are fast paced.. when i first watched i wasnt into it until they met in ep 1.. then I got hooked.. this drama took time to portray the characters well... gave us a good background of the main leads... which i haven't seen in other dramas ( that i watched).. this drama is like very poetic n beautiful n classy..esp the first few episodes.. way tooo beautiful in every way like a swiss chocolate  that slowly melts into your mouth and you savor the taste in every bite.. :wub:

• Like 15

I absolutely love the actress of the female lead. I dunno if it’s just me, but I feel like she has really made the character come to life even though I haven’t seen her play a cold character like this before. She impresses me because I have noticed the subtle changes in SH since the video call. Smiling more, less serious, etc.This brings me to believe that by the end of the drama, she will have been a whole new person, happy go lucky, a breath of fresh air. Part of me wonders if she will remain a ceo or get into something else, like art. Maybe even start a normal life and get away from the public eye.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, beebeep said:

WWSK was widely popular among my younger friends and I followed the recap of the drama every week and watched several episodes of WWSK as well. The 2 dramas I think are made by the same production company. Unfortunately, a lot of my friends who typically watch Kdrama are not keen watching encounter due to the age gap. So, “Encounter” indeed face an uphill battle from the beginning and given this circumstances, the rating is  very good. The other complain is that the drama is slow or boring and I think it’s a matter of taste since I don’t feel that way when I watch this drama. Through out watching the drama, I thought it was really  beautiful and romantic. 

It's 2019 and it's sad that people are still discriminating against older women dating younger men. Why is it ok for an older man to date a younger woman and not vice versa? Are people not open minded enough? not educated enough? or simply discriminatory in nature? 

• Like 7