[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

Spoiler

There were efforts from certain journalists to say something negative about Encounter. Previously I saw an article comparing PBG to another actor. Tbh I don't know what their purpose was but when a drama and its actors have managed to create a huge buzz..there'll always be someone who tries to bring them down. Criticism is fine, as long as it's constructive but the way I see it..the article seems to be filled with the writer's personal thoughts and feelings instead of an objective opinion. Smh

My obsession with side profiles is starting to worry me. :sweat_smile:

994E42335C2F6D5228ACC4

Where can I find another Kim Jin Hyuk? :D

99BFA2485C2F6D5605C776

cr : summergum_

• Like 12
  • LOL 12

1 hour ago, gumtaek said:

Korean fans of the drama were up in arms defending it. If we know Korean or if we have a Naver account, we can comment.

Good to know that some K fans are defending the article. Thanks for all the good suggestions! :)

I feel for SHK and PBG. Like all humans, I'm pretty sure they would be happy with all the encouragement that viewers can give, to them. It's also an affirmation of their acting prowess and everyone needs affirmation in life, no matter how good one is.

Let's do what we can.

Oh my....the non-verbal language between PBG and SHK is so good, seriously. I've mentioned that they have parallel responses like one blinking the eyes and the other blinked in response right?

Well, now in ep 10 at 1:03:21, I see PBG raising his eyebrows first before SHK responded with raising hers too...lol.

I had thought that it was SHK who raised her eyebrows and was wondering why she did it.....haha...

These two lovebirds are really something... I meant KJH and CSH.

Anyone wonders why there are so few BTS for for this drama? I want to see more!

Now that I've rewatched the recent episodes a few times....my take as to why KJH did not admit that he loves CSH to the Garden Owner when he was asked, it's likely because KJH did not want to use that to win him over as it may come across as insincere, like he's saying he loves her just to get the land for the hotel. His sincerity lies in saying he miss her. Plus the fact that KJH, after achieving his right to protect CSH by winning over the guy at the end, it gives him the well-earned momentum to walk up to her and tell her he loves her. To me, it's important to him that she is the first to know that he loves her. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

It will be feast for us if Tvn give us BTS of kissing scene in Cuba..I wonder if there were any NG for that kissing scene especially balcony kiss..wanna see them swing over here n there, bending over..hahaha my mind..:phew: I can't believe myself I'm still awed with that kiss scene..it's been long I'm not feel like this..

• Like 2
  • LOL 14

Thank you for that very detailed response @bebebisous33. I read your past posts about WS.

Still, the lack of “negative” response from WS makes me cling to the possibility that he will turn over to the light. He is used to doing something in the background so he could have done something bad to JH like manipulated or paid people to have him away from CSH but he didnt. He didn’t damage KJH or anything about him to the then budding relationship, after all he witnessed how it developed from the start. Sure, he’s not stopping at pursuing CSH but it’s just that and it’s foolishness in his part.

And something in the episode 11 preview is nagging me. Someone sent a photo to JH about the minions having a meeting. We all know who paid for that photo to be taken. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

In one of my earlier posts, I had even wished that JH would become JWS's friend as he has no one. For JWS, we actually have two possibilities.

Either he keeps pursuing her to the point that at the end, he even tries to force CSH to marry him by using the hotel as tool or he finally gives up on CSH, as he sees her happy.

However, after giving some thought, I am even doubting that JWS will start working at the hotel in order to support CSH. Why? I realized something important. JWS is actually the only one who witnesses the evolution of CSH-JH's relationship. First, at the bar, he asks her if JH has nothing to do with her but she doesn't deny it. So he knows now, there is something. Then in the episode 4, he sees how CSH accepts JH's gift.

He saw that JH used an old truck and CSH had no problem to sit in his car. Nonetheless he calls CSH "Daepeonim" which shows that they are still formal towards each other. So this scene which JWS sees makes him realize that CSH feels comfortable around this young man despite his poorer social background: no luxurious car, no expensive gift... Then later when he meets JMJ, he has to endure this terrible humiliation. His expensive gift was refused and rejected. In that conversation, he indirectly warns CSH through JMJ that CSH needs to be careful. He even lets JMJ know that CSH met JH without her. So he is definitely using JMJ to control CSH. But this is not enough.

In the episode 5, he has to hear that JH protected CSH by giving up his anonymity and showing that he was close to CSH. First, he doesn't do anything against CSH or JH because he knows that JH will suffer from his action. Moreover, he had just seen that they were just friendly. He still doesn't view JH as a possible thread. He just protects CSH from his mother... in his mind, this is the least he can do, since in the past he did nothing. However, in the episode 6 he observes two important events... and he is the only one to know:

He suspects that she might have bought the necktie for JH but he is not sure. So when he visits the office of PR team, he looks at JH's necktie. First, he is relieved but then a few days later, he witnessed this very intimate scene.

Don't laugh but a necktie could be seen as a symbol for phallus due to the same form. In Germany during the carnaval in Cologne, on a certain day, women can cut neckties which means that they are interested in the man wearing the necktie (sex). While JWS sees this scene, he gets aware that they are no longer friends and acquaintance, but they have moved to the next level. However, he doesn't know how far. So when CSH announces that they are in a some-relationship. He hesitates... did she do that in order to protect JH or not? That's why he goes to JH and asked him directly. JH confirms the official announcement. 

When he hears that JH has been demoted to Sokcho and CSH didn't stop the transfer, he has the impression that the some-relationship has not moved on therefore he considers that this is the right time to confess. But CSH ignores his confession, even rejects the thought that he might really love her. Yet, in the episode 9, he is the only one who sees JH kissing CSH.

Reveal hidden contents

Look at his reaction: he is hurt and disappointed therefore he leaves the ball. The media only mentioned CSH had a date and went to the theater but JWS knows that they kissed and that she spent her entire night with him outside. He waited for CSH in front of her home. It was around 5.00 am, when she came home. Yet this doesn't stop him from proposing to his ex-wife a few days later. He knows that JH is her boyfriend but he asks as if JH didn't exist or mean anything. When CSH declares that JH is a special person to her, he is meaningful to her... he tries to diminish JH's worth and value. 

With these words, JWS implies that JH can not offer protection and can not feed her... Only with him, she can live a life in luxury and do what she likes: running the hotel aso. Furthermore, in French, there is this expression: promesse en l'air which means empty/hollow promise. If you translate this expression word for word, it is "promise in the air". As you can see, the air and the wind are associated to empty and no guarantee. With JH, CSH will get nothing in JWS's opinion... she might even lose everything. JWS still believes that his status and wealth can be a reason why CSH should marry him. So he is not even trying to get her love. Nonetheless, CSH is not swayed by JWS's proposal and thoughts. She rejects him once more time.

Then the incident with the hotel in Cuba happens. JH flies to Cuba in order to persuade grandfather Samuel that there has been a misunderstanding. CSH also flies to Cuba in order to meet the owner. So far, JWS knows that director Choi is behind the incident. So my speculation is that JWS will also fly to Cuba believing that with his status and reputation he can become CSH's savior. However, I suspect that JWS will witness how JH and CSH spend the night together at the hotel. With this, he knows that they are intimate. This could explain why JWS decides to join the hotel in order to impress his ex-wife. If JH could move her heart with his hard work, maybe he should do the same.

To summarize, I am convinced that JWS will keep pursuing CSH, although he is always the witness of the change in their relationship. He doesn't want to accept the obvious truth. Moreover, we shouldn't forget that he even declared that he would continue, even if he is rejected 100 times. This is definitely stubbornness.  

@twtwb @xu_lyfe @stroppyse @philosophie @thistle @Yongzura@jl08

@bebebisous33 lovely analysis.. i look forward to ur analysis ..pl include me in your list as well..

Like you said, there is a high possibility of WS going to Cuba n witnessing JH n CSH.. he did talk to the painter in the earlier episode.. he might hope to do the same... however i feel he won't do anything negative for them n i think he will join the PR team to find out more about JH.. n become better acquaintances if not friend

And I feel WS should learn about letting go from HI.. highly far fetched but I would want WS to learn about giving up on CSH..i think he will help JH n CSH eventually n slowly learn to develop a spine against his mother.. helping them find pbly be his first strong real direct action against his mother

Edited by bebebisous33
don't quote videos, gifs and pictures. Remove these next time please
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dukesa1122 said:

Thank you for that very detailed response @bebebisous33. I read your past posts about WS.

Still, the lack of “negative” response from WS makes me cling to the possibility that he will turn over to the light. He is used to doing something in the background so he could have done something bad to JH like manipulated or paid people to have him away from CSH but he didnt. He didn’t damage KJH or anything about him to the then budding relationship, after all he witnessed how it developed from the start. Sure, he’s not stopping at pursuing CSH but it’s just that and it’s foolishness in his part.

And something in the episode 11 preview is nagging me. Someone sent a photo to JH about the minions having a meeting. We all know who paid for that photo to be taken. 

The preview can be misleading... hence I am not sure if what JH saw on his cellphone is the recorded conversation by JWS's minion.

But thanks for underlining again that JWS hasn't hurt JH directly, he is definitely different from his mother who is a bully. But denying the existence of JH as boyfriend can not be considered as a nice gesture too.

To me, JWS needs to grow up and leave his ivory tower. He needs to realize that wealth and status don't define a person... like the higher the person is, the better he is. In my opinion, JWS is not a rich and powerful man. He is the exact opposite: poor and weak. His expression skills are terrible, he never uses the right words. He is not interested in art either. He has no real experience in the end. Labour and effort forge the character and JWS always used his money hence he never put any effort and he never worked physically like JH.

@nikir Thanks for the compliment! And I won't forget you next time to tag you. 

I have already found the next topic for my next post... it will be about the drawing of the episode 10! But this is for tomorrow!:) 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

Guys, what do you think of that ring? Is it a promise ring? I dont think they will marry sometime soon so i dont think it’s a wedding ring. And before a wedding ring, there must be an engagement ring? Oh well, if he knocks her off in Cuba i suppose it can lead to an early wedding lol! Just my imagination

• Like 10
  • LOL 5

About WS: One minute of screen time for the ex-hubby is a minute I'd rather see spent on characters I love such as hunky teddy bear Manager Nam and PR Director Nim.  And the thought of JH befriending WS gives me the creeps, seriously. Can't WS find some other helpful pal to help him grow up? In my own life, I cannot imagine being best buddies with my spouse's ex-girlfriends, never mind an ex-wife!  :crazy: I'm not that enlightened. :angry:

Starting to worry, too, a bit about SH always being so tired. The way, for example, JH calls Manager Nam to pick her up because she'll be too tired for the drive back from Sokcho. It made for a fun "sad story" convo between SH and Nam, but she's a young woman. Why so easily tired? Her driving skills seemed fine. Unlike other kdrama drivers, she actually used her turn signal before doing a U-turn in traffic at speed.  Anyway, I am nervous now when our lovers are so happy that her tiredness will suddenly become some horrible kdrama disease. Please happiness and health for our lovers! Perhaps SH needs to eat more iron-rich foods. Take care of yourself, woman! 

Re: @larrysouth's concern about the danger of JH and SH falling over the balcony while passionately making out.  That worry never occurred to me! But thinking about it, a bed would be a better location absolutely.  It's a safety thing. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 15
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ihyw said:

About WS: One minute of screen time for the ex-hubby is a minute I'd rather see spent on characters I love such as hunky teddy bear Manager Nam and PR Director Nim.  And the thought of JH befriending WS gives me the creeps, seriously. Can't WS find some other helpful pal to help him grow up? In my own life, I cannot imagine being best buddies with my spouse's ex-girlfriends, never mind an ex-wife!  :crazy: I'm not that enlightened. :angry:

Starting to worry, too, a bit about SH always being so tired. The way, for example, JH calls Manager Nam to pick her up because she'll be too tired for the drive back from Sokcho. It made for a fun "sad story" convo between SH and Nam, but she's a young woman. Why so easily tired? Her driving skills seemed fine. Unlike other kdrama drivers, she actually used her turn signal before doing a U-turn in traffic at speed.  Anyway, I am nervous now when our lovers are so happy that her tiredness will suddenly become some horrible kdrama disease. Please happiness and health for our lovers! Perhaps SH needs to eat more iron-rich foods. Take care of yourself, woman! 

Re: @larrysouth's concern about the danger of JH and SH falling over the balcony while passionately making out.  That worry never occurred to me! But thinking about it, a bed would be a better location absolutely.  It's a safety thing. 

Actually, the story with JWS could be perceived as a destruction of the prince charming myth. Let us not forget that the writer has used a lot of references from fairy tales:

- the sleeping beauty: CSH described herself as such in her marriage. She was like in a coma, even the drawing in the beginning reminds us of the forest created after the curse in order to protect the sleeping beautyEncounter 1 sleeping beauty.png

- Cinderella (the shoes, the ball, even CSH mentions it, JH knew nothing about her identity)

In these fairy tales, the hero is prince charming: he is rich and powerful therefore with his position, he can give the heroine an happily ever after ending. Furthermore the prince has no friend in these stories like JWS. The bride and princess has no worries about money and is protected and respected by her husband.

In this story, JWS embodies the archetype of prince  charming but his attributes have now a negative connotation:

• his power and money turned her life into a real nightmare,
  • he didn't protect and respect her at all,
  • she was unhappy and the marriage was short-lived (no happily ever after ending).
  • Actually, the ending was the opposite: a continuation of hell, even if CSH felt happy for a short time. She could finally breathe a little.

And let me add something about HI: so far, JH still considers her as a good friend BUT he is still unaware of her conversation with CSH. Moreover, there is a huge difference between HI and JWS. Like I had mentioned before, JWS witnessed important events in JH-CSH's relationship and realized the evolution of their relationship, unlike HI.

HI only knows that CSH admitted that JH and CSH had a some-relationship. When the article about the date appeared, she didn't see the kiss hence for her, JH and CSH were still in a some-relationship. Don't forget that even KJM could deceive his parents by saying that he had met CSH in Cuba and they were just close. By asking her to stay away from JH because the latter will suffer, HI thought that this relationship could be stopped before it becomes too serious. HI knows that the media can manipulate... it had already happened in the past with the ramen date. Then since nothing had happened for one month as CSH kept her distance from JH, I am convinced that HI is still believing that they didn't go any further than some-relationship. 

@twtwb @xu_lyfe@nikir @stroppyse @philosophie @thistle @Yongzura@thadora@jl08

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, shyguitar said:

Guys, what do you think of that ring? Is it a promise ring? I dont think they will marry sometime soon so i dont think it’s a wedding ring. And before a wedding ring, there must be an engagement ring? Oh well, if he knocks her off in Cuba i suppose it can lead to an early wedding lol! Just my imagination

I think that one steamy kiss in the balcony will be in episode 16 after their wedding. It is a honeymoon scene that is why it is so intense. Well not bad if a wedding and honeymoon will take place. Ahhh,  I am so excited. Be still my heart. 

@shyguitar I think we are in the same page. Our wild imagination is the same. The reason for this intense kiss is it is their Honeymoon. Well,  I love to see it in the ending. Wedding and Honeymoon. Somebody said in the twitter, she is not ready yet to end this drama. Lol. I am not ready yet. 

• Like 10

boyfriend-main-3-800x445.jpg
DRAMA 

‘Boyfriend’ Song Hye Kyo x Park Bo Gum, The couple who return to Cuba

Song Hye Kyo and Park Bo Gum returned as a couple to Cuba in drama ‘Boyfriend’.

In the recent episode of tvN drama ‘Boyfriend’ that aired in 3rd of January showed Soo Hyun (Song Hye Kyo) and Jin Hyuk (Park Bo Gum) who returned as a couple in Cuba.

boyfriend-2.jpg image source: tvN

In the still cuts that were released by the production team of the drama ‘Boyfriend’ showed Soo Hyun and Jin Hyuk who recently returned to Cuba. The friendly and warm atmosphere between the two of them who were smiling at each other in Moro Cabania, a place and a symbol where the two of them accidentally met melt the viewers heart. Especially when Soo Hyun was surprised after Jin Hyuk cheer her up with such a loud voice that made the viewers curios on the situation between the two of them.

boyfriend-1.jpg image source: tvN

The representative of ‘Boyfriend’ stated that “Soo Hyun and Jin Hyuk will return to Cuba and meet again as a couple. The picture of Soo Hyun and Jin Hyuk smiling at each other like the first time they accidentally met in Cuba along with the beautiful and vintage scenery of Cuba will made the viewers feels dreamy”.....source credit @http://my.castko.com/archives/28701

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Glycie Manongsong said:

I think that one steamy kiss in the balcony will be in episode 16 after their wedding. It is a honeymoon scene that is why it is so intense. Well not bad if a wedding and honeymoon will take place. Ahhh,  I am so excited. Be still my heart. 

@shyguitar I think we are in the same page. Our wild imagination is the same. The reason for this intense kiss is it is their Honeymoon. Well,  I love to see it in the ending. Wedding and Honeymoon. Somebody said in the twitter, she is not ready yet to end this drama. Lol. I am not ready yet. 

@Glycie Manongsonghi!!! :) hmmm maybe! But i saw that blue blouse when she was preparing her luggage for this recent Cuba trip so the steamy kiss on the balcony could happen on the next episode.  Oh well i really don’t mind when they do it, as long as they do it again and again and AGAIN. Lol!

I am not also prepared for this to end— but I don’t want to think about it coz it will ruin my mood as a viewer, so I enjoy every minute. I am just so happy I stumbled upon this drama. It’s been so long since I got hooked. I am just happy that they really paid attention to the male visuals. he’s so neat-looking and fresh which fits the visuals of our beloved CEO. Although there were times when I felt rather awkward with his humor and expressions that I see him as a kid rather than a man. Like when they were eating together and talking about ice skating and all— In that scene, CSH looked sophisticated and serious and I sort of felt awkward bec of his kidlike expressions and bec we knew who was paying for the bill. But hey, it changed my  perspective when they changed his hairstyle in Sokcho. He was just so clean-looking and more manly. I just wish they make his character stronger and more capable. But all in all, i love it. I love the kisses, the chemistry. No other complains. 

• Like 10
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't have anything terribly interesting to say, but wrote this up so might as well share.

The writer set JH and WS up as polar opposites of one another:

One is the socially-accepted choice, the one with all the money and the power, but also the one who was a complete failure at protecting her and making her happy; someone who, despite the 'SH is not a piece of property' comment to his mother early on, sure treats her like one, completely ignoring her wishes and disregarding her feelings; he does not think her capable of making her own choices and sees her career as a cute hobby. The same patronizing view goes also for her love of art. He thinks everything is fine as long as he buys her another dark and kind of ugly expensive dress. He does not understand her, nor is he willing to listen and learn from what she is telling him. Finally, he is an absolute catastrophe when it comes to communicating his feelings.

In contrast, JH is, on paper at least, completely unsuitable -much younger, poorer,  and her employee. He has nothing but his brain and determination to fight with, yet he gives his all to protect her. The highlight of his day is seeing her smile. He always treats her with utmost respect - even when he challenges her to expand her boundaries, it would take the slightest hesitation on her side to back off. He greatly admires her as a self-made woman and a success story and hopes he can contribute in his own small way to making her vision reality. He loves art just as much as she does, and encourages her to expand her artistic horizons (his presents: a poetry book, the camera). He just gets her, at a fundamental level; sometimes without needing any words. And although he’s prone to pretending to be fine when he isn’t, he’s always encouraging open communication, asking questions, listening closely to what she is saying. He tells her she is cute, and beautiful and amazing every chance he gets, until she starts believing it too.

Now matter how obtuse a viewer may be, JH is obviously the right choice for her. 
Which was probably the whole point.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5