Quantcast
marykarmelina

[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

@bebebisous33, thank you for all the detailed observations and elaborations. I really appreciate your time and love reading your post.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, ahdrianaa said:

@dukesa1122 
송혜교배우님 오랜팬분께서 연락주셨습니다!! The catering owner said a longtime SHK fan contacted him. Sorry, I don’t think it’s sent by her brother in law.

While it may not have been her brother-in-law who sent the truck, the sign on the truck itself says

"From the very first, a beauty! Gyo-yah, your unnies and oppas love our Gyo-yah!!!!!!!

Jong Dal, Ji Hyeon, Kang Soo. Cha Joo, Choi Mint sisters and brothers are passionately cheering for you."

So, the food truck was sent by people who are very close to her, not sure if she actually has siblings, but people who seem to have known her since her childhood. Their use of the "Gyo-yah" to refer to her is very familiar, even more than "Hye Gyo-yah" would be, and wouldn't be used by people who had not known her in childhood. (Or unless, they were very rude people who didn't know their manners, I suppose. :) )

Anyway, it's nice to see that this drama is getting their share of love and food from various fans and friends.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 11

@bebebisous33 thank you! No wonder. That has only been shown for a split second i think. Correct me if im wrong.

@stroppyse

No SHK doesn’t have any siblings. Looks like the cast and crew are well fed. Food trucks are aplenty from the fans or friends of the casts :wub:

• Like 10

@xu_lyfe smileysThanks a lot for the compliment. raccoon

By the way, if anyone is interested in my next long analysis, I can tag him/her. Just let me know.

@africandramalover I would like to add something about your observation with the frames in the episode 9. I had already interpreted that the frame in form of rectangles represents JWS's world, the chaebol world. And in the episode 10, the director keeps using this kind of shot. This is really visible in the scene where Chairman Kim meets CSH's mother. Encounter episode 10 chairman Kim.pngI counted all the different oblongs in the same shot, like for example  number 11: the vases; 4 the table, even the lights (10) have an oblong in them, 9 the window aso... even the way in which the couch and the armchairs are placed remind us of a rectangle. But the most obvious is the number 3, the frame of the door, as it is the biggest. To me it looks like this frame symbolizes her "kingdom", she as queen sits on the throne and her subject has to kneel in front of her.  She is even in the center of the frame and shooting which underlines her power and central position. 

@twtwb @dukesa1122(yes, the picture from the scene at the theater lasted two seconds) @thistle @stroppyse 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

So, the food truck was sent by people who are very close to her, not sure if she actually has siblings, but people who seem to have known her since her childhood.

She is an only child, her mom had SHK when she was a teenager and her parents got a divorce. SHK says in her interviews that her mother didn’t ever make her feel lonely while growing up despite it being only the two of them. :)

I could be wrong but I think these might be her really old fans, right from the beginning of her career. So their tone sounds familiar because they actually do keep in touch with her. There was some TV show where Hong Seok Cheon mentions how she and some of her fans ( I think including some of her very old and loyal Chinese fans) had a meal at one of his restaurants for her birthday. 

I was clarifying the bit about the brother in law because fans might have thought it was sent by SJK’s older brother.

Thank you for all your detailed translations, much appreciated :wub:

• Like 14
  • Thanks 7

I had mentioned before that CSH uses paintings to express herself and her feelings Encounter episode 9 kino 2.pngand that the number of paintings in her flat have increased, since she has met JH. Compare her bedroom to before: 5 paintings.

Spoiler

Encounter CSH paintings bedroom.png

And now, although one is not visible but is still there, she placed 13 paintings in her bedroom.Encounter episode 10 CSH bedroom 1.pngEncounter Episode 10 CSH bedroom 3.pngEncounter Episode 10 CSH bedroom 2.png

Whereas in the beginning, her paintings contained a lot of blue (considered as cold color), now her preference seems to have changed. Red or orange are becoming more dominant which corresponds to her actual emotions: love and passion.  

@twtwb @thistle

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

What is KJH doing to CSH’s thumb, even the finger brushes in this drama are so intimate! 

This is just after the movie gets over and the camera starts focusing on their hands. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I don't think I've ever read you gush before. :) Knowing how picky you can be, that's cool that you like this drama as well. As for me, I'm a sucker for PBG anyway since I've yet to see him in a role that I thought he was bad in, even if there are dramas which I thought were bad despite having him in it. :D SHK has been more hit and miss for me in the past, but I do rather adore her as Cha Soo Hyeon. Because of her refined beauty and her image, I think she does the ice princess warming up into life and laughter role as she does here really well.

And, the kisses in ep 10 had me blushing even as I couldn't tear my eyes away from the screen. :wub: They are such professionals giving their all to their roles and their craft.

This. I always wondered why people from one of the most connected nations in the world who run around with phones grafted to their hands can't actually use those phones to stay in touch with each other. i would give them a benefit of a doubt, only for the drama to come up with a lame reason why they couldn't stay in touch, e.g. "I would miss you too much if I spoke with you.". Blech. So, yes, I enjoyed how much contact the OTP are shown to have, even when they aren't able to be together for some reason.

I love this point you made, and I so agree. JH does respect SH enough to respect her wishes and assumes that she knows her own mind. Even if he disagrees with it, he will accept it. WS still doesn't realize that SH has outgrown him and left him and his world behind her by now. She likes to work and doesn't just want to just be an accessory to a husband, but more importantly, she feels something real for JH and even says that JH is important to her. JH is not just a temporary passing fancy for SH. And, WS isn't listening to her.

Agreed. Till now, for various reasons, including that JH could see SH was having a hard time with things, so he kept a cheerful and supportive visage for her. And, perhaps SH needed some time to be a bit selfish and think of herself first. However, as a couple, SH is becoming more and more curious about JH as well, the parts unseen as well as seen, and JH needs to be able to open up totally with SH as well. That is the way their relationship will continue to progress and grow their intimacy and couplehood.

Given their intimate interlude in Havana, I'm looking forward to where the relationship goes from here. In the preview, when JH tells his father that he wants to be with SH, that held the hint that JH may be thinking something more permanent than just being her boyfriend. I'm not sure that either JH is ready for marriage (nor SH to be remarried), but it's clear that JH is willing to pledge his life and his future with SH. I find that to be so romantic.

@stroppyse @ck1Oz @bebebisous33

How could you guys observe and extract from the drama this well?

KJH has a habbit that audiences who saw what he is doing could concern because as HI mentioned that he determined to do anything, he will do to the point he needs no matter what.

In ep.10: KJH has done about Cuba by disappearing without notifying CSH and bruntly do what he intended to. When I rerun, I am wondering why he did not inform CSH no matter as his girlfriend or CEO.

KSH has habbit to decide by himself alone no matter with his parents or CSH, this feature might be KSH’s flaw as a boyfriend...Let think in real life how a girlfriend will concern if a boyfriend often does like this. 

Another incident involved with the decision CSH asked to have space for a while. From CSH’s point of view, KJH did not share what he faced the situations and what is his real feeling till CSH can not consider whether it is too much beyond KJH’s enduringness yet? 

KSH did not share the status in his mind; therefore, CSH assumed that it is beyond limit so let take a break. 

After I rerun, I found out that his true feeling has been kept without sharing behind such difficulty could make his girlfriend concern much more.

Likewise, over ep.1-10,  KJH’s parents have to guess whether he is okay or not.  

This kind of a person as KJH could make his beloved ones in life imagine exceedingly without sufficient info and react with extreme concerns. 

• Like 19

22 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

And now, although one is not visible but is still there, she placed 13 paintings in her bedroom.

Now that you mention it, one of the things that I find interesting is that her paintings are not all hung up. Rather, some are just propped up against the walls. That seems odd to me. It seems to have been the case pre-JH as well as more recently.

Your shot showing pre-JH room:

Encounter CSH paintings bedroom.png

Your shots showing current room:

Encounter episode 10 CSH bedroom 1.pngEncounter Episode 10 CSH bedroom 3.png

I don't know whether it means anything. I just found it a curious decorative style that I noticed from looking at your pictures.

Changing topics. One thing that struck me, though I don't have screen captures or gifs for it is the scene in episode 9 when JH runs to SH. SH is in these high heeled boots while JH is in canvas high-top sneakers. And, I thought it meant something because the camera focused on their feet. I suppose one could infer JH's exuberance and casual style with SH's more lux and buttoned up style? Just noting.

Of course, all of those differences are swept away in their scenes in Havana. Still finding their date in Havana in ep 10 to be so romantic and passionate. :wub::wub:

• Like 21

9 hours ago, noonainwaiting said:

Hello chingus! I was held hostage by real life for a long time but today I decided enough was enough and I marathoned eps 9 and 10. My combined thoughts-

"The world is not as romantic as u think it is"
 Vs
"Love is like sneezing-u can't stop it! "

I am glad that both these perspectives exist within this drama universe. Balance the heavy with the light. 

"Having that normality shattered. You know it better than anyone."
I think this was the line that made SH actually cave into the pressure later, as it came from someone she treasures. That misguided attempt from HI and the news articles just compounded it. 

"Why now? What I can't forget is how weak you looked when you stood and watched from afar.
The person I'm seeing right now means a lot to me. He's someone special."

I think this was one of the most frustrating parts of the episode for me. How suffocating it must've been for SH - the one time in her life when she is finally experiencing real love and affection and her ex comes in expecting she'll hop right off with him. The delusional way he just kept avoiding the obvious - please woo seek, let her live her life. And these also pointed out exactly why she likes JH- he has always stood up for her and maintained her dignity. 

"Some people are destined to do what's asked of them."
I hope you meet your comeuppance lady. Your husband and daughter should teach you just that. It's made me feel doubly sad for SH for  how she has had such a poor excuse for a mother. And proud of JH to actually answer her calmly- I would've Kimchi slapped her and gone to jail. 

"I'm uneasy. I'm afraid you'll get hurt. I'm afraid. 
Don't be afraid. "

It was really sad to see JH still keep strong in the after effects, but then he only had to face SH's mom, while SH was getting attacked from all sides. Her crying broke me more than JH, surprisingly. She cherishes him so much. 

-Jinhuk tracing her handwriting, and finally wearing her tie! He was obviously missing his family after seeing the fruit shop in Sokcho - I wonder why he didn't go to Seoul, he would lose their bet? 

-That scene when SH is developing the photo in the dark room and JH 's face slowly forms - her longing crept up and filled the room, the silence just amplified it. I loved this scene. 

"If the sea job is to make waves, mine is to think of you. Me and the mother in this book are both the same. After all, we are both thinking of somebody."
JH's love is so earnest, so sincere. I lost it within the first five mins of this ep itself lol. And I knew SH has laser vision/intuition - she glanced someone reading by the lighthouse and was like yup-that's my man. 
As lovely as that line was I have the feeling it was kind of bittersweet to SH? She has obviously never experienced maternal love and affection. I feel that the actual line being from a parent's heart made it much more poignant. And I really hope JH's family gives her the love she deserves. 

"I don't have a solution, but I'm determined to solve it." 
I find myself mesmerised by SHK's expressions in some of the scenes and this was one of them. Just look at her observing his face and taking in his sincerity. She was hanging onto every word. I love them both so much. 

"I'm the best driver in the world."
I can't quote his convo with Soo hyun because nearly everything he said was gold. Driver Nam, you are the best confidant, advisor, caregiver, teddy bear, and overall best human anyone could ask for. 

"You shouldn't just keep things inside. You should express it."
This video call!! Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Honestly this show has given me so many adorable moments I didnt think I could smile any more but this section had me locked in a maniacal grin the whole time. I could so relate to her awkwardness with video calls, SHK was super duper adorable in this scene. 

"What can I do to win Soo hyun over."
Bro. Its time to stop. He can honestly start dating his handsome secretary if he really wants to shake up his life. Nearly everything he does to woo her is an imitation of other peoples feelings and talent. He can't hold a candle to JH. And he's doing peak second lead behavior right now so I can't even feel bad for him. 

"Do you have some money?"
The whole Cuba sequence - what an absolutely wonderful callback to their initial encounter in Cuba. It was an entirely magical and ethereal feeling--no wonder Soo Hyun glanced at the clock showing Havana time while writing her new years wishes. And honestly, I cannot thank the entire production and especially our lead actors for portraying that culmination of passion so authentically that early on during filming. It made me eat my own subliminal feelings that this romance was just lacking a little spice. Turns out I should have kept my patience - this is such a well tempered romance, everything just fell into place organically. If I was squeeing the whole episode, towards the end I became weirdly silent- I just felt their whole journey till now and how beautifully it has been portrayed and I don't know if I will come across such a gem of a romance again. And if there was any doubt regarding what happened--just look at their eyes. And the ending animation showed them both horizontally soooo ok ill stop now. Why am I single again. Where is my JH?!

So glad to have encounter back again, and I have more than 50 pages to backread!  Love your discussions guys.

Wow... I just can say is wow and thanks... I just love your explanation. Well analyzed and explained. You see, everyone of us here see the sparkling gems of this drama. All the elements are complete.. I just don't know others are not seeing these,  but who cares, the kdrama land is so vast that I think there are most people that is liking, loving and supporting our beloved drama Encounter/Boyfriend .

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

How cute!! 03bad64cfcf.gif

ed52a810bc0.jpeg

9435cb129f0.png

59250f60c06.png

6aa48404af3.png

Spoiler

f0df2a34eb8.gif

6763c82ef35.gif

afad6f24f09.gif

Cr: DC

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, larrysouth said:

After the kiss scenes in Episode 10, our poor actor and actress are going to each need a chapstick to ease those inflamed lips.  They had to have kissed each other raw.

I am still back at my question. How can they kiss like that without using their

tongues? Seriously. They might have concentrated on keeping their tongues in place. :sweat_smile: And wooooo that is alot of work!

The scenery shots at Sokcho in Episode 9 are amazing.  It is truly fueling my desire to go out there even though I have not traveled abroad in decades.

Same here. I havent been to Korea. And the only reason why I want to go there was because of SHK (yes im gonna wait for her next fan meet and pray hard that I can get in lol) but watching how the scenes were shot in this drama, I’m resisting the urge to book a flight!

How are they going to top Episode 10 with 6 episodes left?  PD-nim and writer-nim doing such a great job so far.  This has been one of my all-time favorite KDramas.

We have asked the same question by the end of Episode 8 and here we are still very surprised and awed. 10 episodes in and I can confidently say that I trust PDnim and Writer-nim on whats in store for in the next 16 episodes. Hoping against hope and praying hard that it will be with our OTP living happily together!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@xu_lyfe smileysThanks a lot for the compliment. raccoon

By the way, if anyone is interested in my next long analysis, I can tag him/her. Just let me know.

Yes, please tag me if you don’t mind:) 

• Like 2

Thank you all for all the good analysis and observation. Really appreciate it. About the kiss its the sweetest KISS in all my Kdrama I watch. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@NongpeeP I agree with you that KJH's flaw is to keep his struggles to himself. He only expresses himself, when he wants something and he feels happy. Since he is the eldest son and his parents were busy working, they relied a lot on him. Besides KJH saw it as his responsibility not to add any worry to his parents. Over the time, he learnt to put his family/friends first. Hence he always hid behind his smile. He doesn't want to share his burden. 

Although JH is a social person, there is a certain loneliness around him. When his parents were working, he used to read books. Striking is that he didn't try to play with friends. When he went to the arcade for a while, he was alone therefore he got bored. All this justifies why he has never learnt to confide to someone. CSH sensed that he would hide his "struggles" behind his happy voice hence she asked his friend HI. But by doing so, she gave HI the opportunity to push CSH into the wrong direction. CSH asked her if he had confided to her but instead of answering honestly, she used JH's words in order to make CSH feel guilty. By not sharing his "vulnerability", he definitely has a weakness as CSH assumed the worst. JH has a strong will which is the reason why he decided to help CSH without waiting.

CSH is also not someone who would share her burden, even with JH. In the previous episode, she hid the urgent directors meeting from JH. Both have a similar habit and they should work on that.

@bebebisous33 As a adult, we might not tell every feeling but KJH is quite at extreme level. 

If this not sharing is his choice and habiit, he could make his beloved ones and the persons around his beloved ones share their opinions and consider to do in their way.

CSH's asking to take a break is one of such habbit's result:

- CSH's father was wondering whether KJH, as a normal person, will be able to endure such publicity&Chaebol's manupulation and gave his comment to CSH.

- Secretary Jang showed how Kim Jin Hyuk's private info has been released by his classmates and be criticized by public. Plus, Secretary Jang informed about CSH's mom's visit KJH in Sokcho.

- HI who has not known KJH's real feeling too, she presumed by herself and informed CSH what CSH should do by staying away from KJH.

Last but not least, CSH has experiencd how tough to be in public eyes and manipulated by the Chaebol, she might imagin in much worse cases than any others.

For KJH's family and friends, they concerned and might express coming reaction that affect KJH's feeling (or CSH's feeling) because of no sufficient info shared by KJH

- Secretary Jang informed KJH's little brother and restaurant owner(KJH's close hyung) that KJH has been manipulated by a powerful ones in relocation to Sokcho.

- KJH's parents who saw his news about CEO but they did not get more info how is KJH's feeling recently. 

In CSH's side, you mentioned CSH is also not someone who would share her burden but CSH's life is in Mr.Nam's, Secretary Jang's eyes, and somewhat about work&partial life in the eyes of the public.

Plus, KJH might pay attention to CSH till he can find the source of more info about CSH and KJH usually try to read CSH's feeling as he read books 

eg. asking HI about what happened about Cuba news.

KJH can discuss about CSH's background and recent situation with Mr.Nam and ask Secretary Jang too. 

PBG-concern.jpg

PBG-concern2.jpg

PBG-concern3.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1