[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

16 hours ago, mellinadear said:

I have been a BG fan for years now and he still surprises me.

Most of us who are his fans know he doesn't drink (alcohol) but he drank beer in this drama.

He doesn't also drink Coffee but he did (I wanted the camera crew to zoom in to his cup to see at some point LOL).

During kiss scenes, I have noticed that the PD loves to allow the viewers hear the "Smack" sound  before he dulls it with music.

New year party (second kiss before they hugged)

Car kiss.

Cuba kiss (before the long kiss).

Balcony kiss (at the start of it, you can hear it).

@mellinadear

Kim Jin Hyuk's character has been created in this K-drama world, he has different features from Park Bo Gum.

Kisses in Encounter are very romantic and express the feeling of lovers. KJH kissed CSH with mutual reaction, looked her eyes how she felt, kissed her again with her higher emotional reaction.

19 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

JH appears powerful and manly because he expresses himself a lot... like for example "his greed has no limit" and he starts hugging CSH from behind. He tells her what he wants to do and waits for CSH's answer. She turns around and hugs him showing him that she is okay with it. Then in the episode 10, he complains that she has never told him how handsome he was. CSH has never learnt that expressing herself can have a good impact on the partner. JH is actually teaching her about that. That's why JH shows her after getting praised for his good looks, he feels loved and recognized. JH, although younger, is much more experienced and wiser than her. The reason is his knowledge of books. Books and indirectly words influenced him so much. He could gather knowledge and wisdom, therefore he used his books and words to woo CSH, while JWS keeps using gifts (flowers, dress, rings) to impress her. 

JH's behavior contrasts so much with JWS's behavior. JH tells her how he thinks and feels but he still respects her decision. Although our protagonist was hurt, when CSH asked him to keep their distance from each other for a while, JH accepted it. On the other hand, JWS keeps ignoring CSH's words and actions. CSH clearly expresses that she will never go back to him (episode 3, 9) and even how she views her ex-husband as weak man but JWS acts as if he was deaf. the ex-husband thinks that CSH will change her mind. He underestimates CSH's love for JH. In his eyes, since JH is a commoner, he is not worthy of CSH. He congratulated her for the good article and review but overlooked that JH's action was the reason for that. JH is someone below him and CSH. Imagine his feelings, when CSH totally ignores him and lets him wait for three hours. JWS thought, he is entitled to have CSH's visit. JWS needs to learn on the hard way that he is nothing compared to JH. That's why I am looking forward for JWS's meddling in the hotel business. I hope, JH can show him his skills. CSH is gradually changing as well... she is learning not to keep everything to herself.

On the other hand, I hope that JH learns to confide more and more about his own struggles. It was hard to see how JH kept smiling, while he was hurting. CSH knew that very well that's why she asked HI about it. However, JH hadn't said anything to her. Since JH has been taught to act strong and responsible as his parents were working hard, I think, at some point he needs to show his vulnerability in front of CSH, when the latter is strong enough to fight for both of them. Until now, JH knew that CSH would worry so much hence he couldn't tell her everything, too afraid that she might run away.

@twtwb  @Yongzura @stroppyse @nubianlegalmind

@bebebisous33

Totally agreed with your comments about ex-husband, in addition to his deaf, he is also blind too because he did not hear what CSH told and did not see what KJH&CSH expressed their love each other while this ex-husband has heard and seen KJH&CSH's being together several times with his own eyes, plus more info from this ex-husband's secretary and detectives. 

I wondered one point: Dog in the Manger?! 

without KJH in CSH's life, would ex-husband ever try to pursue CSH again or not. This husband might let CSH live with assumption that she will not be with any other guy.

This might not be ex-husband's love but it is just the sense of posession by a chaebol's son who used to own almost all things. A person used to belong to him, such person should not belong to others forever, similar mindset as Ex-husband's mom who thought that CSH will be under her family's control for the rest of her life after divorce. 

For KJH, I totally agreed with your comment as follows

"I think, at some point he needs to show his vulnerability in front of CSH, when the latter is strong enough to fight for both of them."

• Like 12

So I am rewatching Episode 9 again and I noticed a few things that I didnt see the first time

1) When KJHxCSH are in the cinema and the credits started rolling. Both of them waited for everyone to leave. You can clearly see from KJH’s face that he was planning on maybe kissing CSH before they leave and you can also read it in CSH’s face that she’s expecting for a kiss. But then this cinema girl kicked their butt out and they both smiled mischievously.

2) What drove CSH’s decision to cool it off with KJH was not just because of what HI said. It was more of what her father told her that KJH will be dragged into their world. I dont know but for me my fathers words carry the world.

3) The bus terminal scene. This is the first time the camera didnt zoom in to their hands before KJH had to let go and get out of the car. KJH was still holding CSH hand I think he was rubbing it before he finally let go.

• Like 16

27 minutes ago, NongpeeP said:

Kim Jin Hyuk's character has been created in this K-drama world, he has different features from Park Bo Gum.

Oh..I'm aware of that. I'm just amazed by how he did so (something he stays away from in Reality). Makes me more proud that he takes his job seriously (he's always had anyway).:)

@dukesa1122 on your first point, I thought that too that JH wanted to make a move but that lady ruined it. <_<

• Like 6

1 hour ago, beejoy111 said:

I don't know what this article about, but it has many upvotes at d comments section in naver.. :o

https://entertain.naver.com/ranking/read?oid=382&amp;aid=0000700005

may someone can translate this article and some of the comments? 

Spoiler

o6YOqgD.jpg

This writer wrote a negative review and from the comments you can see that majority were angry at the writer...more than a thousand, in fact, came to the drama's defense, pointing out its merits. It's an isolated article.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, beejoy111 said:

I don't know what this article about, but it has many upvotes at d comments section in naver.. :o

https://entertain.naver.com/ranking/read?oid=382&amp;aid=0000700005

may someone can translate this article and some of the comments? 

Spoiler

It’s an article which criticises the drama and crew. Says the story lacks content,critical of actors,  says the ratings are not good enough and it’s not been able to connect with the audience, says the crew decided to sell the script books to create buzz for the drama. 

The tone of the article seems to reflect the reporter’s personal gripes with the drama which is why the comment section is flooded with comments, defending the drama, actors and others question the reason behind the writing of such an article.

Some of the audience comments are negative too but there are always some who hate. 

The drama seems to have connected with this audience member though, a little baby boy. 

• Like 3

Chingus,  Do you notice that Jin Hyuk always made a cute smack before or after a heart fluttering kissing scene. It is kinda cute. After the first kissing scene in the balcony, in the masquearde party , Jin Hyuk made a smack to SH lips and the sound is noticeable. With the Morro Cabana sweet kissing scene, he gave first a smack with the cute sound again to prepare CSH, to make them both relax before the long and time stopping kiss. Did you just notice that, when KJH makes a smack it is so lovely and cute. I just remember the PDnim telling that he let the two top stars act freely with these kind of scenes. Well, PBG and SHK are geniuses in thinking of this way to prepare them both. :wub::wub::wub:

• Like 16

4 minutes ago, mellinadear said:

Thanks @gumtaek 

Hide contents

There was a comment that said, "Do not judge the two actors by the audience rating alone".

I think this is what people fail to realize.

I'm glad there are people defending the drama (there are some naysayers but it's ok). 

Spoiler

The thing is this drama has spoiled us with high ratings right at the very start. So any dip causes people to panic...It says that the drama is not able to rebound after the one-week break. What does he or she think of cable dramas averaging between 8-9%?  Why even cable dramas with a final rating of 5% were sent on a reward vacation! If only I could send this writer what I posted about the difference between terrestial and cable TV ratings! 

It says it's not getting the empathy of viewers. Why is it topping the Content Power Index then? Why is this thread moving at an exponential speed? Why are the video cuts of the drama topping the Naver Video Popularity ranking each week with thousands of likes and comments? It's because the drama resonates with the viewers....

• Like 16
  • Thanks 7

Sohn Tae-young, watching 'boyfriend'...                           andenews24 News reporter | Enter 2019-01-05 at 2:24:39 PM | Last modified 2019-01-05 at 2:31:11 PM....

Sohn Tae-young, watching 'boyfriend' and "

Sohn Tae-young, watching 'boyfriend' and "
Son Tae-young has released a TVN 'Boyfriend' City Hall certification shot. 

Actor Son Tae-young posted a picture on his SNS on May 5 with the article "This scene is sad and sad". 

A picture of the TVN 'Boyfriend' was released. In the scene, Song Hye Kyo and Park Bo Sung are talking. 

Son Taeyoung said, "If you live in a strong place, if you live, you may fail, you may make mistakes, or you have a bad reputation. If you feel sorry for my life, do not be frustrated and try to stand up and show yourself better. Quoted by Hyun Min, who wrote "Hae-min", things that are getting brighter as they calm down. 

Son Tae-young added, "Send me one day for me." 

Son Tae-young, who married Kwon Sang-woo in 2008, has his son, Luchee, and his daughter Riho. 

Photo = eNEWS DB, Son Tae Young Instagram

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, ahdrianaa said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It’s an article which criticises the drama and crew. Says the story lacks content,critical of actors,  says the ratings are not good enough and it’s not been able to connect with the audience, says the crew decided to sell the script books to create buzz for the drama. 

The tone of the article seems to reflect the reporter’s personal gripes with the drama which is why the comment section is flooded with comments, defending the drama, actors and others question the reason behind the writing of such an article.

Some of the audience comments are negative too but there are always some who hate. 

Spoiler

thx for your explanation.. I didn't know that its have negatively in that article. 

maybe the the journalist was someone who contacted by ex evil MIL to write bad articles about the drama.. kekekeke..

I want to delete my post about the article and just remembering the happiness about this drama alone.. cheer up everyone..

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, mellinadear said:

Oh..I'm aware of that. I'm just amazed by how he did so (something he stays away from in Reality). Makes me more proud that he takes his job seriously (he's always had anyway).:)

@dukesa1122 on your first point, I thought that too that JH wanted to make a move but that lady ruined it. <_<

@mellinadear

From Park Bo Gum's acting projects no matter the supporting roles to the lead roles, he has worked with utmost no matter as a rookie or hullyu stars, acting is Park Bo Gum's profession.

In Encounter, in addition to Kim Jin Hyuk's being drunk, drinking coffee, Kim Jin Hyuk have also showed stuborn and strong reaction with fierce facial expressions to the much older ladies as CSH's ex husband mom in the press conference and CSH's mom in Sokcho, which Park Bo Gum in real life will act in very mannerly polite way. He also changed the way of speaking to be slower with slightly short pause from thorough thoughts before speaking ,the way of kissing, and also the way of walking to be sharp. His fans can proud of. :thumbsup:

For Song Hye Kyo, I rerun Encounter and found out that she changed her facial expressions to be very subtle in early episodes to the level that audiences could feel uncomfortable for CSH's careful actions. In later episodes, CSH by Song Hye Kyo showed her hesitation here and there to express her feeling eg. answered KJH's question whether she was glad to see him on New Year or not, tried Video call.  I appreciated Song Hye Kyo and her fans can be proud of too. :star:

1 hour ago, Glycie Manongsong said:

Chingus,  Do you notice that Jin Hyuk always made a cute smack before or after a heart fluttering kissing scene. It is kinda cute. After the first kissing scene in the balcony, in the masquearde party , Jin Hyuk made a smack to SH lips and the sound is noticeable. With the Morro Cabana sweet kissing scene, he gave first a smack with the cute sound again to prepare CSH, to make them both relax before the long and time stopping kiss. Did you just notice that, when KJH makes a smack it is so lovely and cute. I just remember the PDnim telling that he let the two top stars act freely with these kind of scenes. Well, PBG and SHK are geniuses in thinking of this way to prepare them both. :wub::wub::wub:

@Glycie Manongsong

Your observation is interesting because Kim Jin Hyuk by Park Bo Gum and Cha Soo Hyun by Song Hye Kyo created this fresh style of kisses to the characters. :kiss_wink:

-------------------------------------------------

By the way, I read about Encounter's rating in Korea which is very high for Cable channel; however, some might need higher.

I understand high expectation because we can realize how great this Encounter has been acted by Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Kyo, written by scriptwriter, directed by PD, produced by Crews&Casts. Anyway, this is just rating for particular measurement for Cable in Korea, Encounter's merits are much more. 

The more I watched Encounter and realize the superb quality in every features in this drama, I am very ever happy that Park Bo Gum is in this project after 2-year break for study and I am happy for Song Hye Kyo to choose this project after her marriage. Encounter could be their turning point to let audiences perceive these both hallyu stars's acting elements. 

After I have watched Korean dramas for 4-5 years, I found out that there are many genre of K-dramas, each has the different target groups: 

Some with familiar theme might attract the housewife/househusband; 

Some with formula popularity might attract wide groups;

Some with fresh theme might attract teenagers/working ages/older age with revolution

In addition to target audiences, the result to the actors/actresses might not be in the similar flow with the drama rating.

Some high rating drama with formula popularity theme might not create brand value to actors/actresses, after the drama ends, nothing better to such actors/actresses. 

Futhermore, some high rating with formula popularity drama does not challenge actor/actress's acting skill to sharpen lead actor/lead actress's saw because such actor/actress act as he/she used to. 

These reasons above made me glad the most that

1. Encounter with fresh theme and leisurely absorbing pace has been delivered with amazing quality; and 

2. Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Kyo have been praised for their uttermost acting.

Park Bo Gum's and Song Hye Kyo's strong credential and immerse popularity in the entertainment world has been well recognized in Korea and in other countries.  

Quoted from Lollypop's comments in dramabeans

One thing I really love about this show is that it could so easily go makjang, but it never does. Soo-hyun and Jin-hyuk face a lot of opposition for a lot of different reasons, but those reasons are all realistic ones that I can see a couple like them facing in the real world. Nothing comes across as overblown or unnecessarily dramatic, and nobody puts on crazy histrionics. (Except maybe Soo-hyun’s mother, but even she never makes me think, “Pfft, nobody would really act that way.”) Even when the stakes Soo-hyun and Jin-hyuk face are high, they’re presented as realistically high, and I can even understand each of their opposers’ justifications for asking them to please reconsider whether this relationship is a good idea. I didn’t even feel that their decision to take a break was unnecessary or just thrown in to create tension — things are getting tough, and it was smart to take a step back to evaluate their feelings and see of they’re strong enough to risk them both getting hurt. Now they know that being apart is too painful, which will hopefully make them that much stronger.

Quote from the news

https://www.soompi.com/article/1287713wpp/song-hye-kyo-park-bo-gum-heat-screen-steamy-encounter-kiss

The kiss, which went on for about a minute and 20 seconds, became the talk of the town immediately after the end of the drama and both actors received praise for their passionate acting.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

I think people that gave hateful comments n wrote article like that choose to be 'blind' n 'deaf'..they only see the bad side n refuse to listen others that say good of it..I know we can't expect people follows what we like but I hope these people could respect others n not create war..

• Like 4

At first, I was extremely bothered by negative comments and ratings but now, I'm honestly starting to care less. The ratings aren't consistently increasing, yes, but they're still consistently high. It's even in the top 10 most highest-rated cable tv dramas already. As for negative comments, it's very obvious when the person commenting is genuinely offering constructive criticism (which I appreciate reading) and when the person commenting is just trying to criticize the show without actually watching it by reusing the same old comments that people had even before the show started airing (ex. comments about how weird the couple is, how the show "lacks content", how the show is boring). Every single constructive comment I've seen about the show appreciates how the show seems to subvert kdrama cliches and tropes, and how almost every scene is laced with nuances or symbolisms you can't see just by watching it in its face value. I do understand, however, why this type of show won't appeal to the sensibilities of everyone. These days, people like really fast plot-based shows that spoon feed to the audience what's exactly happening. This drama, however, requires the audience to read between the lines and the dissect the scenes to appreciate it more. 

There was a comment on ep9 from dramabeans that I really loved:

ChinguMode Bitter Killjoy: 

"This show is so beautiful and what really struck me about this episode was the small moments that showed how much both protagonists have changed because of each other.

That show in an earlier episode of the beach with the bench mirrors the lonely girl shot in the painting in her office. In the previous episode, it was her sitting there and then he came into shot and joined her. In this episode, it's now him sitting there alone. In contrast, she's out and about in Seoul, photographing life - observing and living it. Looking at a work of art in the open rather than one trapped in a gallery. 

He's now stronger and more thoughtful, but less carefree. She's now less bound by the suffocating strictures of her life. And of course her late-night drive to Sokcho mirrors his earlier one. This remains a relationship where each gesture of one is eventually reciprocated by the other in a way that re-enforces their equality despite the differences in age or status between them.

And that's why it's one of the most stunning shows I've ever seen - because its beauty is in its simplicity." 

I love how the couple started out as foils of each other but now they're slowly changing the other and are slowly adopting the good and healthy sides of each other's personalities. SH, who lived her whole life trapped in a world full of restrictions, is now a lot more adventurous and proactive. JH, who lived his whole life contemplating on romanticized ideas from books, not jaded from the bitter realities of the world, now looks at the world with a more realistic lens. In a way, JH brings out the youth that SH lost, while SH brings out the gravitas from JH (that a lot of ppl found that he lacked in the earlier episodes). I think this subtle sharing of each other's personalities can be symbolized by the slowly growing shrine of items of each other that both SH and JH have in their bedrooms. 

Side note, but do you guys think the balcony makeout scene and the ending scene image of the girl on top of the boy are implying that the couple took their relationship to the next level™ already?? 

HV0DqJQ.png

HV0C9Lv.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3