[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

@NongpeeP I agree with you that KJH's flaw is to keep his struggles to himself. He only expresses himself, when he wants something and he feels happy. Since he is the eldest son and his parents were busy working, they relied a lot on him. Besides KJH saw it as his responsibility not to add any worry to his parents. Over the time, he learnt to put his family/friends first. Hence he always hid behind his smile. He doesn't want to share his burden. 

Although JH is a social person, there is a certain loneliness around him. When his parents were working, he used to read books. Striking is that he didn't try to play with friends. When he went to the arcade for a while, he was alone therefore he got bored. All this justifies why he has never learnt to confide to someone. CSH sensed that he would hide his "struggles" behind his happy voice hence she asked his friend HI. But by doing so, she gave HI the opportunity to push CSH into the wrong direction. CSH asked her if he had confided to her but instead of answering honestly, she used JH's words in order to make CSH feel guilty. By not sharing his "vulnerability", he definitely has a weakness as CSH assumed the worst. JH has a strong will which is the reason why he decided to help CSH without waiting.

CSH is also not someone who would share her burden, even with JH. In the previous episode, she hid the urgent directors meeting from JH. Both have a similar habit and they should work on that.

@stroppyse In my opinion, she doesn't hang up the pictures for she changes a lot the paintings. That's why I said that the paintings are reflecting her mood and emotions. I also noticed that she starts hanging more abstract paintings indicating a certain growth and deepness... it expresses more the subconscious. Back then, her choice of paintings underlined her loneliness (if there was a person on a painting, she was alone), this is no longer the same.   

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, noonainwaiting said:

Hello chingus! I was held hostage by real life for a long time but today I decided enough was enough and I marathoned eps 9 and 10. My combined thoughts-

"The world is not as romantic as u think it is"
 Vs
"Love is like sneezing-u can't stop it! "

I am glad that both these perspectives exist within this drama universe. Balance the heavy with the light. 

"Having that normality shattered. You know it better than anyone."
I think this was the line that made SH actually cave into the pressure later, as it came from someone she treasures. That misguided attempt from HI and the news articles just compounded it. 

"Why now? What I can't forget is how weak you looked when you stood and watched from afar.
The person I'm seeing right now means a lot to me. He's someone special."

I think this was one of the most frustrating parts of the episode for me. How suffocating it must've been for SH - the one time in her life when she is finally experiencing real love and affection and her ex comes in expecting she'll hop right off with him. The delusional way he just kept avoiding the obvious - please woo seek, let her live her life. And these also pointed out exactly why she likes JH- he has always stood up for her and maintained her dignity. 

"Some people are destined to do what's asked of them."
I hope you meet your comeuppance lady. Your husband and daughter should teach you just that. It's made me feel doubly sad for SH for  how she has had such a poor excuse for a mother. And proud of JH to actually answer her calmly- I would've Kimchi slapped her and gone to jail. 

"I'm uneasy. I'm afraid you'll get hurt. I'm afraid. 
Don't be afraid. "

It was really sad to see JH still keep strong in the after effects, but then he only had to face SH's mom, while SH was getting attacked from all sides. Her crying broke me more than JH, surprisingly. She cherishes him so much. 

-Jinhuk tracing her handwriting, and finally wearing her tie! He was obviously missing his family after seeing the fruit shop in Sokcho - I wonder why he didn't go to Seoul, he would lose their bet? 

-That scene when SH is developing the photo in the dark room and JH 's face slowly forms - her longing crept up and filled the room, the silence just amplified it. I loved this scene. 

"If the sea job is to make waves, mine is to think of you. Me and the mother in this book are both the same. After all, we are both thinking of somebody."
JH's love is so earnest, so sincere. I lost it within the first five mins of this ep itself lol. And I knew SH has laser vision/intuition - she glanced someone reading by the lighthouse and was like yup-that's my man. 
As lovely as that line was I have the feeling it was kind of bittersweet to SH? She has obviously never experienced maternal love and affection. I feel that the actual line being from a parent's heart made it much more poignant. And I really hope JH's family gives her the love she deserves. 

"I don't have a solution, but I'm determined to solve it." 
I find myself mesmerised by SHK's expressions in some of the scenes and this was one of them. Just look at her observing his face and taking in his sincerity. She was hanging onto every word. I love them both so much. 

"I'm the best driver in the world."
I can't quote his convo with Soo hyun because nearly everything he said was gold. Driver Nam, you are the best confidant, advisor, caregiver, teddy bear, and overall best human anyone could ask for. 

"You shouldn't just keep things inside. You should express it."
This video call!! Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Honestly this show has given me so many adorable moments I didnt think I could smile any more but this section had me locked in a maniacal grin the whole time. I could so relate to her awkwardness with video calls, SHK was super duper adorable in this scene. 

"What can I do to win Soo hyun over."
Bro. Its time to stop. He can honestly start dating his handsome secretary if he really wants to shake up his life. Nearly everything he does to woo her is an imitation of other peoples feelings and talent. He can't hold a candle to JH. And he's doing peak second lead behavior right now so I can't even feel bad for him. 

"Do you have some money?"
The whole Cuba sequence - what an absolutely wonderful callback to their initial encounter in Cuba. It was an entirely magical and ethereal feeling--no wonder Soo Hyun glanced at the clock showing Havana time while writing her new years wishes. And honestly, I cannot thank the entire production and especially our lead actors for portraying that culmination of passion so authentically that early on during filming. It made me eat my own subliminal feelings that this romance was just lacking a little spice. Turns out I should have kept my patience - this is such a well tempered romance, everything just fell into place organically. If I was squeeing the whole episode, towards the end I became weirdly silent- I just felt their whole journey till now and how beautifully it has been portrayed and I don't know if I will come across such a gem of a romance again. And if there was any doubt regarding what happened--just look at their eyes. And the ending animation showed them both horizontally soooo ok ill stop now. Why am I single again. Where is my JH?!

So glad to have encounter back again, and I have more than 50 pages to backread!  Love your discussions guys.

Wow... I just can say is wow and thanks... I just love your explanation. Well analyzed and explained. You see, everyone of us here see the sparkling gems of this drama. All the elements are complete.. I just don't know others are not seeing these,  but who cares, the kdrama land is so vast that I think there are most people that is liking, loving and supporting our beloved drama Encounter/Boyfriend .

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, larrysouth said:

After the kiss scenes in Episode 10, our poor actor and actress are going to each need a chapstick to ease those inflamed lips.  They had to have kissed each other raw.

I am still back at my question. How can they kiss like that without using their

tongues? Seriously. They might have concentrated on keeping their tongues in place. :sweat_smile: And wooooo that is alot of work!

The scenery shots at Sokcho in Episode 9 are amazing.  It is truly fueling my desire to go out there even though I have not traveled abroad in decades.

Same here. I havent been to Korea. And the only reason why I want to go there was because of SHK (yes im gonna wait for her next fan meet and pray hard that I can get in lol) but watching how the scenes were shot in this drama, I’m resisting the urge to book a flight!

How are they going to top Episode 10 with 6 episodes left?  PD-nim and writer-nim doing such a great job so far.  This has been one of my all-time favorite KDramas.

We have asked the same question by the end of Episode 8 and here we are still very surprised and awed. 10 episodes in and I can confidently say that I trust PDnim and Writer-nim on whats in store for in the next 16 episodes. Hoping against hope and praying hard that it will be with our OTP living happily together!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@NongpeeP I agree with you that KJH's flaw is to keep his struggles to himself. He only expresses himself, when he wants something and he feels happy. Since he is the eldest son and his parents were busy working, they relied a lot on him. Besides KJH saw it as his responsibility not to add any worry to his parents. Over the time, he learnt to put his family/friends first. Hence he always hid behind his smile. He doesn't want to share his burden. 

Although JH is a social person, there is a certain loneliness around him. When his parents were working, he used to read books. Striking is that he didn't try to play with friends. When he went to the arcade for a while, he was alone therefore he got bored. All this justifies why he has never learnt to confide to someone. CSH sensed that he would hide his "struggles" behind his happy voice hence she asked his friend HI. But by doing so, she gave HI the opportunity to push CSH into the wrong direction. CSH asked her if he had confided to her but instead of answering honestly, she used JH's words in order to make CSH feel guilty. By not sharing his "vulnerability", he definitely has a weakness as CSH assumed the worst. JH has a strong will which is the reason why he decided to help CSH without waiting.

CSH is also not someone who would share her burden, even with JH. In the previous episode, she hid the urgent directors meeting from JH. Both have a similar habit and they should work on that.

@bebebisous33 As a adult, we might not tell every feeling but KJH is quite at extreme level. 

If this not sharing is his choice and habiit, he could make his beloved ones and the persons around his beloved ones share their opinions and consider to do in their way.

CSH's asking to take a break is one of such habbit's result:

- CSH's father was wondering whether KJH, as a normal person, will be able to endure such publicity&Chaebol's manupulation and gave his comment to CSH.

- Secretary Jang showed how Kim Jin Hyuk's private info has been released by his classmates and be criticized by public. Plus, Secretary Jang informed about CSH's mom's visit KJH in Sokcho.

- HI who has not known KJH's real feeling too, she presumed by herself and informed CSH what CSH should do by staying away from KJH.

Last but not least, CSH has experiencd how tough to be in public eyes and manipulated by the Chaebol, she might imagin in much worse cases than any others.

For KJH's family and friends, they concerned and might express coming reaction that affect KJH's feeling (or CSH's feeling) because of no sufficient info shared by KJH

- Secretary Jang informed KJH's little brother and restaurant owner(KJH's close hyung) that KJH has been manipulated by a powerful ones in relocation to Sokcho.

- KJH's parents who saw his news about CEO but they did not get more info how is KJH's feeling recently. 

In CSH's side, you mentioned CSH is also not someone who would share her burden but CSH's life is in Mr.Nam's, Secretary Jang's eyes, and somewhat about work&partial life in the eyes of the public.

Plus, KJH might pay attention to CSH till he can find the source of more info about CSH and KJH usually try to read CSH's feeling as he read books 

eg. asking HI about what happened about Cuba news.

KJH can discuss about CSH's background and recent situation with Mr.Nam and ask Secretary Jang too. 

PBG-concern.jpg

PBG-concern2.jpg

PBG-concern3.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Still on a high from episode 10

Absolutely loved how they were both in cahoots on sneaking past that security guard in Havana, holding hands while at it. They were both like teenagers hee :wub:

It’s a nice callback to episode 4 when Secretary Jang reminded CSH of the time they both sneaked out of school to attend a concert

Ah, this drama :wub:

• Like 16
  • LOL 2

52 minutes ago, NongpeeP said:

@bebebisous33 As a adult, we might not tell every feeling but KJH is quite at extreme level. 

If this not sharing is his choice and habiit, he could make his beloved ones and the persons around his beloved ones share their opinions and consider to do in their way.

CSH's asking to take a break is one of such habbit's result:

- CSH's father was wondering whether KJH will be able to endure and gave his comment to CSH.

- Secretary Jang showed how Kim Jin Hyuk's private info has been released by his classmates and be criticized by public. Plus, Secretary Jang informed about CSH's mom's visit KJH in Sokcho.

- HI who has not known KJH's real feeling too, she presumed by herself and informed CSH what she should do by staying away from KJH.

For KJH's family and friends, they concerned and might express coming reaction that affect KJH's feeling (or CSH's feeling) because of no sufficient info shared by KJH

- Secretary Jang informed KJH's little brother and restaurant owner(KJH's close hyung) that KJH has been manipulated by a powerful ones in relocation to Sokcho.

- KJH's parents who saw his news about CEO but they did not get more info how is KJH's feeling recently. 

In CSH's side, you mentioned CSH is also not someone who would share her burden but CSH's life is in Mr.Nam's, Secretary Jang's eyes, and somewhat about work&partial life in the eyes of the public.

Plus, KJH might pay attention to CSH till he can find the source of more info about CSH

eg. asking HI about what happened about Cuba news.

KJH can discuss about CSH's background and recent situation with Mr.Nam and ask Secretary Jang too.

Speaking as a deeply introverted person... it takes lot for me to open up to anyone (no matter how much I trust them) about what I am actually thinking or feeling at any given moment.  It takes a lot of energy to put words to the storm of thoughts.  I prefer, much like JinHyuk, to spend my energy focusing on the people I care about it.  Through my actions, if not my words, I try to let them know that they're special to me. 

In the way JinHyuk is written and acted, I see a lot of the same introverted habits that I have.  He thinks for a full second or two before speaking, so anyone listening can understand what he's trying to say.  Sometimes, he spaces out for longer than a second, enters into this whole other zone and then comes back to the conversation at hand.  He prefers entertainment that lets him "rest", if you all recall.  As much as he seems to love people, JinHyuk enjoys them at a distance, through the lens of a camera or via the pages of his books.  He can be dragged out of his safe space, and goes happily, but he always returns to the peace and quiet of places he knows well (Daechan's restaurant, his room, the tea room). 

From the standpoint of being in a relationship with SooHyun, and being a good brother, friend, and son-- JinHyuk does need to learn how to share burdens, just as well as he already shares his joy.  He needs to learn how to be frank with people, but that's something that I think stubborn and introverted JinHyuk is going to have to learn as he goes. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Already watched epi 10,it so breathtaking episode for me..I won't give any analysis (n I'm not very good at one :sweatingbullets:)cz all of u here already gave very good one,thank u so much..I'm very pleased to read all of your insights chingus..

Oh I wanna ask if there is any english version of poem book that JH gave to SH?one of the title is Yearning(?) 

• Like 11

This may sound odd and weird. Im having 2nd thought posting this, but i need to get it out of my mind. 

I agreed to why WS behave that way... his upbringing, his education, his mother, his environment.  He is a yes mama boy. But something popped out of my mind. Does he always follows whatever his mother told him? Or he just follow what he wants to follow and does not follow what he does not want to follow? When she told him to choose among the women in the pictures to date and clearly pointed out that she does not want SH, it seems he disobeys her and continue pursuing or should i say annoying Sh. H

So, he can practice his freedom of choice if he wants to.

Does he really love her?.... i doubt. If he does he should  prevented his mother from punishing her, but it seems he enjoy watching it afar and let it be. And then bombarded Sh gifts to show he is not bad, just to maintain and show off  an image of a loving husband.

The orchestrated divorce..... he just fed up with the situation. Its not letting Sh get out from the situation, but making himself get out .

The fake mistress... he needs an accomplice. He only break ties with the girl when things are not going in his plan. And an accomplice for 4 yrs, for it will hurt his ego if someone sees him eating alone, not dating or interested in women,

That scene where he said his type is SH, yes sh type....dumb, passive, no self-esteem, a housewife, a woman who is not a threat to his machismo.

Sh's pic on his phone... is it really his wall photo or is it just one of the many photos in his fone that just like many of us have forgotten to delete and forgotten by time.

If he really loves sh, why wait 2, 3, 4 years. If his real intention in the divorce is to free sh from his mother, then right after the divorce he should start doing something to let his feelings be known.

Now that Sh has rise the hotel from the dead and she is capable of loving and be loved, he's making his presence known.

Insecured, a threat to his ego, a threat to his business ....that's what Sh to him now. He can't accept what was happening to Sh now. Just like the 2 momsters, he wants Sh to go back to where she used to be. Having an interest to the hotel business may prove my point, . (I based this on ep 11 prev, tho prev are misleading and that dialogue" i need u to help in the hotel business, im not sure who said this and to whom it is said) bec in the past ep he said to mr. Choi he is not interested in the hotel business.

When he said he still like Sh... even Sh didn't believe it, bec. this is new to her ears. She knows in her heart and mind that Ws does not love her to him she is just a payment to a debt.

Whenever he smiles.... i distrust that smile.

This may raise eyebrows...yes, this is my weird analysis... but sometimes even the weirdiest thing can happen.

On the lighter note:

1. That video call... it makes me smile the entire scene, ear to ear with all my teeth and gums visible.

2. Im thinking of a character who can have a least significant role. At first i thought it would  be SJ 's daughter, but no she represents the young Sh, who only has mr. Nam when she is on the same age.

3. Being an introvert... . When a problem arises, he solves it first by himself. If he thinks he needs help, thats when he seek one, thats when he involves others. Jh is more of an introvert. He may miss the right time if he is like this, u may say. But no, right timing is one of  his assets. He was able to save Sh from falling bec he is right on time.

All praises to shk, pbg, the writer, director, crew and staff. Excellent, outstanding , actually are all understatement to describe them.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 7

Appreciated Lollypop's COMMENTs in dramabeans.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/01/boyfriend-episode-9/

Boyfriend: Episode 9

by LollyPip

Spoiler

Boyfriend09-00402.jpg

Even as our favorite adorable couple grow close and closer, the people around them, especially the ones who love them, grow worried for them. They have valid reasons for their concern, and even though it’s difficult, the lovebirds give serious thought to the possible issues. But when it’s time for a decision, what will the do – will they stubbornly insist on staying together, or will they decide that splitting up is the best thing for everyone?

EPISODE 9 RECAP

Spoiler

Boyfriend09-00014.jpg Boyfriend09-00016.jpg

Jin-hyuk pulls Soo-hyun out of the party as the guests a

re counting down to the new year. She smiles when he takes off his mask, and Jin-hyuk slowly, tentatively kisses her.

Inside, Woo-seok sees them and sadly turns away. He looks dazed and heartbroken as he leaves the party alone.

After the party, Jin-hyuk and Soo-hyun head to Subway (like you do). Jin-hyuk is nervous they might be seen together, but Soo-hyun assures him that nobody is there anyway. He tells her that Driver Nam let him ride in the backseat of the car, doing a funny impression of Driver Nam saying that he was there to pick up his boss’ boyfriend and making Soo-hyun laugh.

Spoiler

Boyfriend09-00046-1.jpg Boyfriend09-00044-1.jpg

Soo-hyun offers to drive Jin-hyuk back to Sokcho so he can be at work at 9 a.m., but he says he can sleep on the bus. He suggests they go on a late-night date, but Soo-hyun feels bad, as his boss, that he has to work on a holiday. Jin-hyuk says cheekily that he can go now if she doesn’t want that date, and Soo-hyun protests.

The party is still going at the hotel, and Dae-chan wins the grand prize drawing of a free night’s stay at Donghwa Hotel. The DJ asks him if he’s single, and tells him to unmask and invite his love interest to share the prize with him.

Secretary Jang, who’s been hanging out with the dashing stranger, looks horrified to realize that she’s been flirting all night with her nemesis. She slinks out while Dae-chan looks around for her, narrowly avoiding public humiliation.

Spoiler

Boyfriend09-00071-1.jpg Boyfriend09-00067-1.jpg

Dae-chan runs after her, catching her on the stairs. She’s all Nice to see ya, gotta go, but he stops her. Secretary Jang mutters that they’re probably not that happy to see each other with their masks off, and Dae-chan agrees, but he thinks it’s weird to act like they don’t know each other.

Meanwhile, Jin-myung thinks the whole thing is hilarious, and he suggests they all go out for a drink. He and Dae-chan put on a pitiful act for Secretary Jang’s benefit, and although she rolls her eyes and sighs, she agrees to go.

At the movie theater, Jin-hyuk asks if Soo-hyun wants popcorn, and she nails him with a quip about his preference for dried squid. They have the theater nearly to themselves, so Jin-hyuk takes the opportunity to hold Soo-hyun’s hand. She smiles and leans her head on his shoulder, and he rests his head on hers.

Spoiler

Boyfriend09-00543.jpg

Despite saying that she’d only have one drink, Secretary Jang ends up pretty toasted. Dae-chan asks for her address before she gets any drunker so he can drive her home, which greatly amuses Jin-myung.

Secretary Jang slurs that he’s too happy for someone whose brother was banished to Sokcho, but Jin-myung defends that Jin-hyuk was transferred, not banished. She repeats herself before passing out, and Jin-myung runs out to call Jin-hyuk, but Jin-hyuk is too engrossed in his movie date to answer.When the movie is over, Jin-hyuk and Soo-hyun are reluctant to part again. Soo-hyun says Jin-hyuk will be tired at work later, but he says it was worth it. She drops him off at the bus station, and Jin-hyuk he heads for his bus, then he suddenly runs back to grab Soo-hyun’s face through the window and plant one more kiss on her.

Spoiler

Boyfriend09-00140.jpg Boyfriend09-00139.jpg

Secretary Jang wakes up in the morning, horrified to find that she spent the night in Dae-chan’s restaurant. She snaps at Dae-chan for not taking her to a hotel, but he says that even with his free voucher, everything was booked. They both look like nine miles of hungover road, so Dae-chan says they’re going to a sauna, then for breakfast.

After eating, Secretary Jang reluctantly admits that she feels better and thanks Dae-chan. He asks what she meant when she said Jin-hyuk was “banished,” and he doesn’t believe her when she says she was just drunk and babbling. She checks her phone and freaks out when she sees another article about Soo-hyun and Jin-hyuk on their date last night, this time not bothering to blur Jin-hyuk’s face.

Spoiler

Boyfriend09-00181.jpg Boyfriend09-00175.jpg

She grabs a taxi and calls Driver Nam, who says there’s nothing wrong with a couple going on a date. He hangs up right in the middle of her tirade, unconcerned.

Woo-seok, who was up most of the night waiting for Soo-hyun to arrive home, is woken by his mother throwing pictures of potential marriage matches on his bed. She’s seen Soo-hyun’s picture with Jin-hyuk and decided that she’ll never allow that hussy back into the family.

Soo-hyun spends her day ignoring calls from Secretary Jang and her mother, who vows to get rid of Jin-hyuk one way or another. She turns her anger on Soo-hyun’s dad, but he says Soo-hyun is probably avoiding her calls for good reason and offers to talk to her himself.

Spoiler

Boyfriend09-00205.jpg

At work, Jin-hyuk tries to ignore the murmurings of the people who recognize him from the article. He takes a break and calls Soo-hyun, who asks if he’s okay, but he reminds her that they expected this. He tells her everything will be fine, but when they hang up, he doesn’t seem quite so confident.

A neighborhood boy recognizes Jin-hyuk and shows the article to his mother, who runs inside to ask Jin-myung about it. He tries to play it off like Jin-hyuk and Soo-hyun are just friends, but with the evidence of Soo-hyun’s shoes in his room, Mom doesn’t know what to believe.

Soo-hyun accepts an invitation to dinner from her dad, and she brings up the article first to apologize for his name getting dragged into it. He asks if she’s heard from Taekyung Group (AKA Woo-seok’s mother), and she says she’s preparing her offense for when she does, because it’s time she confronted her head-on.

Spoiler

Boyfriend09-00217-1.jpg

She worries that her battle may hinder his campaign, but he scoffs and retorts that he’s been a hindrance to her all her life. He tells Soo-hyun to worry about herself and the huge battle she’s facing. Best dad ever. He asks whether Jin-hyuk will be able to watch her go through this because of him, especially since he’s not used to being in the public eye, and he warns Soo-hyun that Taekyung won’t leave Jin-hyuk alone.

Later, Jin-hyuk tries to call Soo-hyun but gets her voicemail, and he picks up a call from Jin-myung. He asks if their parents know that he’s dating Soo-hyun, but Jin-myung says they don’t. They talk about nothing important for a few minutes, wish each other Happy New Year, and hang up. Jin-hyuk realizes that he’s standing in front of a produce store much like his family’s, which seems to make him a little homesick.

Boyfriend09-00244.jpg Boyfriend09-00245.jpg

The next day, Jin-hyuk sees a little girl in the hotel lobby, crying her heart out because her teddy bear was accidentally taken to the laundry with the sheets. He promises the little girl that he’ll look for her bear himself, then goes through all of the laundry one sheet at a time for two solid hours.

He finally finds the bear, and the smile on the little girl’s face makes it all worth it. The little girl’s mother stays to take a few shots on Jin-hyuk at work without his knowledge (but with his boss’s permission) — ha, turns out she’s a journalist.Back in Seoul, Soo-hyun reluctantly meets with Woo-seok for coffee. He shows her their wedding rings, which he still has, and he softly asks her to come back to him. He says they can live far from his mother, and that he’ll make sure she doesn’t have to attend family events and can keep running the hotel.

Spoiler

Boyfriend09-00270.jpg Boyfriend09-00273.jpg

Oof, he looks so hopeful and at the same time, so bleak, as if he already knows her answer. Soo-hyun asks why he’s doing this now, when he never used to interfere with his mother’s horrible treatment of her. She says that even though she’s forgotten his mother’s actions, she still remembers how weak he looked as he stood by and did nothing.

She tells him that she just endured it, until he said he loved someone else and she didn’t have to endure anymore. Instead of explaining, Woo-seok says they can live abroad, even Cuba where the new hotel is. Soo-hyun says gently that she’s seeing someone very special to her, but Woo-seok says cryptically that even she can be swayed, but he warns her not to be blown away.

Spoiler

Boyfriend09-00299.jpg Boyfriend09-00305.jpg

Soo-hyun’s mother shows up at the hotel to confront Jin-hyuk, who immediately goes on his guard. She warns him to stay away from Soo-hyun, but he refuses to make that promise, so she tells him that Soo-hyun’s family and Woo-seok’s family have already agreed that they’ll be getting remarried.

Jin-hyuk asks if it’s what Soo-hyun wants, but her mother says that she’s destined to do what’s chosen for her. Undaunted, Jin-hyuk argues that it’s Soo-hyun’s life, and her mother sneers that dating her daughter must make him feel brave. She tells him that a big fight will begin because of him, accusing him of putting Soo-hyun in that position.

The next day, Soo-hyun and Secretary Jang run into Director Kim and Hye-in in the hallway. Director Kim introduces Hye-in as the one who stole her phone to call Soo-hyun, and Hye-in apologizes, but Soo-hyun thanks her, then pulls Hye-in aside to ask her some questions as Jin-hyuk’s friend. Hye-in works up the courage to ask Soo-hyun to stop seeing Jin-hyuk, worried that he’s already moved for Soo-hyun’s sake and scared of what else he might do.

Spoiler

Boyfriend09-00335.jpg

Out of concern, Secretary Jang shows Soo-hyun an article that someone wrote about Jin-hyuk, making him out to be a gold-digger who’s trying to get famous by dating her. She also lets Soo-hyun know that her mother went to Sokcho to see Jin-hyuk.

That evening, Soo-hyun struggles between the worry that her friends and family are showing, and Jin-hyuk’s claims that this is all normal and expected. At the same time, Jin-hyuk is bombarded with requests from people he barely knows, asking for everything from drinks to free hotel nights and “joking” that he’ll own Donghwa Hotel soon.

Boyfriend09-00354.jpg Boyfriend09-00360.jpg

He has to take a moment to force a smile into his voice when Soo-hyun calls him. He tells her that his personal information getting out was just a prank by old classmates, but she’s upset that the best parts of him were twisted to look bad (like his studiousness being called a ploy to get girls).

Jin-hyuk says it’s nothing, and when Soo-hyun counters that she knows the comments hurt him, Jin-hyuk says he’s more worried about her. Soo-hyun says that they should take some time to think things over, and Jin-hyuk fights back tears as he says with forced cheer that this must be hard on her since he’s so ordinary.He drops the fake smile and asks if he put her in a bad position, and now Soo-hyun is crying too as she says she’s just scared that he’ll get hurt. She says that his life gets shaken the closer she gets to him, and she’s scared that the people who watch her will turn on him, too.

Spoiler

Boyfriend09-00394.jpg Boyfriend09-00400.jpg

Shaking, Jin-hyuk suggests they take a “no news is good news” approach and not call each other for a while, and see who lasts longer. Soo-hyun agrees and they hang up, equally devastated.

Some time passes, but every little thing seems to remind Soo-hyun and Jin-hyuk of each other. Soo-hyun goes around taking pictures of places they’ve been together with Jin-hyuk’s camera, while Jin-hyuk sits on the bench where they had coffee and he fell asleep on Soo-hyun’s shoulder. Soo-hyun visits Jin-hyuk’s neighborhood playground, and Jin-hyuk walks along the beach where they once played together.

After a month, Hye-in calls Jin-hyuk to ask why he hasn’t come home for a visit. She says his parents are worried, and he promises to come home soon. As he waits for the bus to Seoul, he can’t help thinking about what Soo-hyun said the last time they spoke — that she’s scared he might get hurt. Instead of catching his bus, he goes home.

Spoiler

Boyfriend09-00436.jpg

Sh finally takes the last photo on the roll of film in Jin-hyuk’s camera, and she recalls him telling her to go to Mrs. Lee (the cafe ajumma), who has a darkroom. Mrs. Lee is happy to see her, having been alerted by Jin-hyuk that Soo-hyun would show up to develop film one of these days.She helps Soo-hyun develop the film, and Jin-hyuk’s smiling face slowly appears on the paper. Catching onto Soo-hyun’s mood, Mrs. Lee says that she still misses her husband, who passed away. She tells Soo-hyun that she and Jin-hyuk should see each other while they can and be happy, then leaves Soo-hyun alone with her thoughts.

Spoiler

Boyfriend09-00472.jpg Boyfriend09-00468.jpg

As she leaves the cafe, Jin-hyuk’s picture in the seat beside her, Soo-hyun makes a decision and turns her car around. She drives all the way to Sokcho, thinking about how she once said that he’s always the one running to her. She finds him sitting on a bench near a lighthouse, reading a book, and she stops a short distance away and calls him.

He’s so happy to see her calling that he jumps to his feet as he answers. Soo-hyun confesses that she’s caved, and Jin-hyuk teases that they never agreed on what the winner would get. She asks what he’s doing, and he lies that he’s eating with coworkers.

Spoiler

Boyfriend09-00498.jpg

Soo-hyun asks where those coworkers are, and it gradually dawns on Jin-hyuk that she can see him. He slowly turns around, and when he sees her right behind him, he almost drops his phone. Soo-hyun takes a step towards him, and Jin-hyuk breaks into a run.

When he reaches her, he grabs her in a happy, grateful hug, looking like he’ll never let her go. His voice narrates the words he was just reading: “If the sea’s job is to make waves, mine is to think of you.”.

Spoiler

Boyfriend09-00542.jpg Boyfriend09-00541.jpg

COMMENTS

Oh, I love that Soo-hyun lost the bet! She’s the one who resisted this relationship so hard at first, and she did notice that Jin-hyuk is always the one running to her, so I find it significant that now she’s the one who’s willing to let down her guard and show her true feelings by going to Jin-hyuk first. I don’t think it means she loves Jin-hyuk more than he loves her or anything (a case could be made that it’s the other way around since he did the harder thing by respecting her wishes and staying away when he was tempted), but I do think that it shows how much Jin-hyuk’s love has changed Soo-hyun. He’s shown her how it feels to be valued just for herself, and not for what money or status or connections she can give to him, so it was time for her to show him how much that all means to her.

They’re both changing, in fact, and it’s so wonderful to see the effects that Jin-hyuk and Soo-hyun are having on each other. They started out such polar opposites — one perpetually serious and almost depressed, one a bit too naïve and optimistic — but it’s almost like they’re pulling each other towards a healthier middle ground. Soo-hyun is learning to loosen up and to stand up for herself, something she always had inside, but she just never had a good reason to assert herself until she met Jin-hyuk. It also turns out that she has a wicked sense of humor, and I love her little jabs about Jin-hyuk’s previous embarrassing behavior. And Jin-hyuk is seeing that the world isn’t all roses and sunshine, but instead of letting it get him down, he’s just becoming more grounded and mature as he learns to navigate a world that doesn’t think he’s perfect, like the one he grew up in.

Spoiler

Boyfriend09-00527.jpg

I’ve said this before, but it’s worth saying again — I just love all the little moments between Jin-hyuk and Soo-hyun that remind those of us watching of what it’s like to be in a new, fresh love. That thrill you get just to hold hands in a dark movie theater, the miserable feeling when it’s time to say goodbye, are moments that most dramas don’t bother to show us. But Jin-hyuk and Soo-hyun make them feel so big, like they do when you’re the one in the moment and every second you get to spend with your favorite person is precious and full of meaning. And the not-so-happy moments are just as meaningful, because seeing Soo-hyun and Jin-hyuk so devastated at having to take a break just proved how much they really car for each other, and my chest literally ached for them in that moment.

I’ve had this vague worry about Woo-seok for a while now, because while his sad eyes and lingering love for Soo-hyun break my heart, I also worry that he’s in a place of unhealthy denial. He can see that she loves Jin-hyuk, and he even seems to objectively like Jin-hyuk and approve of him. But Woo-seok asking Soo-hyun to get back together also shows that he doesn’t think her relationship with Jin-hyuk is serious, which means he doesn’t respect Soo-hyun’s wishes when she tries to tell him that they’re not going to be together again. I’ve been scared that Woo-seok would go dark and begin behaving like a villain, but it might be even worse if he just… refuses see the truth. He may not have any nefarious intentions, but a single-minded pursuit of Soo-hyun could create its own set of problems if Woo-seok decides that she’s meant to be with him and nothing else matters.

One thing I really love about this show is that it could so easily go makjang, but it never does. Soo-hyun and Jin-hyuk face a lot of opposition for a lot of different reasons, but those reasons are all realistic ones that I can see a couple like them facing in the real world. Nothing comes across as overblown or unnecessarily dramatic, and nobody puts on crazy histrionics. (Except maybe Soo-hyun’s mother, but even she never makes me think, “Pfft, nobody would really act that way.”) Even when the stakes Soo-hyun and Jin-hyuk face are high, they’re presented as realistically high, and I can even understand each of their opposers’ justifications for asking them to please reconsider whether this relationship is a good idea. I didn’t even feel that their decision to take a break was unnecessary or just thrown in to create tension — things are getting tough, and it was smart to take a step back to evaluate their feelings and see of they’re strong enough to risk them both getting hurt. Now they know that being apart is too painful, which will hopefully make them that much stronger.

Spoiler

Boyfriend09-00504.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

@NongpeeP

That comment is spot on. I tried staying away from that website because I dont want to pick a fight from negative commenters who cant even support their claim. Glad someone’s comment made absolute sense and actually understood this drama

@leedonghaek

Thank you! do you have a zoomed in HD gif of the  full balcony kiss? Everything I find is too pixelated. :sweat_smile:

• Like 9
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, redbeanbuns said:

Already watched epi 10,it so breathtaking episode for me..I won't give any analysis (n I'm not very good at one :sweatingbullets:)cz all of u here already gave very good one,thank u so much..I'm very pleased to read all of your insights chingus..

Oh I wanna ask if there is any english version of poem book that JH gave to SH?one of the title is Yearning(?) 

Me too,  I want to buy it. I checked it with eBay but they don't have yet. Hope the English version will come out soon. 

• Like 6