[Drama 2019] Vagabond, 배가본드

larus

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, lollyminx said:

You're so right! :lol: Also, I was rolling my eyes when the commies from North Korea and Jessica's team were using high powered guns to fire at them while they were inside a non-bulletproof car and the important characters didn't die, AND they were also able to kill the enemies just with hand gun?! 

Hahaha!

Specky wanted a neat and quiet funeral...

gZM6x6.gif

But we were served with a bazooka and machine guns. How on earth is this neat and quiet? Hahahaha

jZ6Lv5.gif

lxEDv6.gif

And yes..they should have all died. The car wasn't even bulletproof. I noticed several funny moments like an assassin got shot on his bulletproof vest and bled out. Also Kim Woo Gi was shot from behind, but his wound was in front. Hahahahahahahaha!

Logic out of the window with this one. But it was entertaining no doubt. Better than then the cheesetastic high 5 scene.

@bebebisous33 my interpretation of the library scene was he was using reverse psychology on her. Which worked. But he's also aware that she can easily be silenced like what happened after the reveal. She was told to keep quiet by Min and pretend as if nothing happened and she did keep quiet. KTW just sat there knowing he'll take the blame and even said he did it. Unlike many...I don't see KTW liking or caring or being protective of Haeri. As of ep 8 KTW doesn't seem to care for her more than he should. He treats her just like a colleague and at times as an outsider. Thanks for the roman empire comparison, it was an interesting read :)

I chose to watch this show for the mindless entertainment and so far it has pleased me in that arena.  In that, I do not have to think just ignore the reality of how some of the scenes do not make sense.  However, I am surprised at how dumb they are making the NIS Agents and some characters to be especially when they are supposed to be seasoned veterans.  It has reached the point where CDG appears much smarter than them as well as GHR a "rookie" .  Case in point the whole who gets Kim Wool gi first, there are several flaws with this and top add several cherries on the top - the ambush, the man goes into cardiac arrest and only GHR had the common sense to read the man's personal and professional profile to know his blood type.  I also find it strange that they did not know he was a drug addict, if there were rumors about this as the bad guy Jerome told the dead VP why isn't this info known to NIS.  This is why I had to comment and laugh, then you have a known national traitor taking over the special unit under trumping up charges on the good ones.  

The best thing is that nowadays k-dramas have put in the clause before the start of the show that this is pure fiction and has no aspect of reality known what so ever.  I have also realized that we are now 1/3rd in the show so this is straight up introduction, the goodies have to lose badly to the baddies before disappearing.  Looking forward to see how they are going to close this and when is the meat of the story going to start.

Gone for now.

For me I just enjoys the drama immensely, because I’m a fan of action genre, I don’t care how ridiculously impossible some of the little details what’s important to me is that it can me me thrill and excitement. I love the tandem of te two leads in each episode that they are working together just to make things happened. I like the fact that one is a civilian and the other is authorized with law, she keeps on breaking the law just to capture the bad guy and that gives the spiced. So far it keeps me on my toes and even my whole family especially my siblings! Hehehe this drama is on the topic of our group chat! I’m glad they like it as well!

Weighing in ... 

I am watching this because of Morocco and LSG. I ve learnt not to take dramas too seriously for reasons pertaining to sanity unless it’s been touted as a gem - then I’d keep an eye out for its content. 

for this one, even two eps in, something was a little off where logic was concerned. granted that sometimes these ‘offs’ are eyesores, they usually don’t quite affect my watching of the drama unless it becomes utterly senseless. but OB markers are different for different people.

There are some moments when I questioned the invincibility of CDG, the intellect of mavericks working for the corrupt and the incredible success of the op to repair a ruptured artery only to require a blood transfusion created by the ginormous loss of blood probably from the wound created by extra large cut on a fairly hollowed-out thigh. Eye-opening and dramatic, the last one is.

It is delicious fun to read and agree to the same loopholes spotted, and also read about others that I did not register as I mindlessly admired how Elsa/Hae ri’s hair strayed beautifully around her face chase scenes after chase scenes. 

the baddies are strong in this one. Attempts, somewhat feeble, to trap them have been quickly overturned in baddies’ favour. Lots of grit and determination from NIS but they are not so good in outsmarting the Untouchables. allies have backstabbed them and it seems the show is going to get NIS agents go rogue to beat the uglies at their own game, with CDG as lead rogue and anti-hero. Heh. he’s pulling more weight than all of them combined with his Jackie/Bruce Cha alter ego.

i wished they started already...

1 hour ago, Katrina Abdul Talib said:

The veteran casts are doing splendid, am really enjoying this drama.

However I am very disappointed wth Suzy's acting.. sori dont get mad at me.

She has on the "same bland expressions" and spoke wth "the same bland voice tone" no matter wht situations she was put in.

Right now I don't know if it's Suzy's acting or the character itself is the problem or it's a combination of both. But I also think her line delivery is bland especially when she wants to be angry or in a power position like the jail scene with Ki Tae Woong in ep 8. I kinda laughed when Haeri stepped on Kim Woo Gi, she didn't look or even sound confident, and I was honestly distracted by her hair and heels. 

I personally find Haeri so unprofessional looking. Her attitude, her loose hair, her heels when she's in the field makes her look not serious in doing her job. Imo, she needs to present herself better/appropriately to make others treat her as an equal and make her voice be heard. She's flamboyant, bubbly and overzealous. There's nothing wrong with being bubbly and cute...take a look at Lily, she's such a playful character, she even talks in a high pitched voice. But when she's assassin Lily her vibe changes. Even when she fails at killing, she still exudes a certain aura and she's treated equal or above her team of men. Haeri unfortunately does not have similar qualities as Lily. 

I am a bit confused about the reporter plot. So it seems the Arbitrator is the guy pulling the strings with the reporter but isn't he on same side with Jessica? Why stir the pot with reporter information? And if the reporter was bait to kill the hero why give real info and give him thumbdrive???

The most logical reason is he is working with another organization to bring down jessica or he wants to bring her down? I am just confused on this part.

And the NIS chief flip-flopping is just ridiculous... i think in the end the gang will just release all relevant info to the public so that the president and others has to answer to the public since the president is so focus on his image. 

I have been catching up on this drama over the weekend and really enjoyed it until the recent episodes. I don't mind some of the over-the-top action scenes and unrealistic/unexpected behaviors of the characters.

BUT! The whole point of hijacking and crashing the airliner was to turn the public against Dynamic so that J&M can take the contract even though they were inferior. This really stretches the limits of beliveability, but I understand that it is the catalyst for everything that happens afterwards and is central to the plot.

Which is why all the stuff that has happened over the last two episodes make absolutely no sense. If J&M was at such disadvantage that they had to resort to murdering 200+ people to get this contract, why is it that now all it takes is the President's wish to give the contract for J&M??? If this is the case, why the hell did they crash the plane in the first place? They could have just make the President tell the S of D to change his mind and if that did not work, they could have just set him up for the blackmail like they did anyway? What is the whole point of crashing the plane, if all this was so easy to manipulate?

If it was hard for J&M to win the contract before, it should be IMPOSSIBLE now with public being aware of the allegations against J&M causing the crash. How is that they can just wave that away with simple "President wishes it so"????

This is such a ridiculous plot that it is seriously about to lose me.

@choilicious nothing in VB is believable. The plot is actually too thin. The stakes don't feel high enough. I don't really understand what is going on about the plane crash and why it had to happen...I also don't understand why is it so hard for them to kill Dalgun. Dalgun needs to be in jail from the moment he started wrecking havoc in Morocco. It's not only a miracle he is alive...it's a miracle he's actually walking around as if he didn't do anything wrong. Tsk3

Imo Dalgun, a stuntman as the main focal is just not pulling it in. It feels like a replication of 'Foreigner' the Jackie Chan movie. But in that movie it actually felt believable, his daughter died in a bomb attack, and he went around wanting revenge. He wasn't just running around fighting, he used his brain and manufactured opportunities for an attack. And the villains in that movie were smart as the protagonist....now I want to rewatch the movie. Haha.

Dalgun on the other hand does not use his brain much. He's looking for someone to blame and he is blaming everyone, including the NIS team who were trying to uncover the mystery too. I'm not feeling Dalgun as a character. He feels empty. I feel sad when he remembers Hoon, but that sadness quickly transitions into annoyance when he starts to run around in adrenaline junkie mode.

Anyways...this is me trying to choke some sense and logic into VB plot...

XLpnGg.gif

But...logic is long gone hahahaha. I'll continue watching, despite it's senseless plot, the explosions and gunfights albeit not realistic is fun to watch. Also Ki Tae Woong. I'll stay as long as he's alive and not a richard simmons. Hahaha

9 hours ago, shaselai said:

I am a bit confused about the reporter plot. So it seems the Arbitrator is the guy pulling the strings with the reporter but isn't he on same side with Jessica? Why stir the pot with reporter information? And if the reporter was bait to kill the hero why give real info and give him thumbdrive???

The most logical reason is he is working with another organization to bring down jessica or he wants to bring her down? I am just confused on this part.

And the NIS chief flip-flopping is just ridiculous... i think in the end the gang will just release all relevant info to the public so that the president and others has to answer to the public since the president is so focus on his image. 

The arbitrator is Edward Park from dynamic System,  he is not on the same side as Jessica.  They are competitors, Dynamic and J&M, vying for the govt contract.

Jessica used to be a mentee of Park, but she later transferred to work at J&M.  

oh I missed a few pages and now we are into bashing the drama?

Well, I think for a big budget drama which took so long to film, yes the plot could have been stronger but I think they have always meant for it to be an action thriller, not understanding that most people can watch car crashes and explosions elsewhere so a strong story is still important. 

Perhaps due to the diffculty of the action scenes, they got carried away and allocated much time to these. Yeah the last ep was unbelievable. All those machine guns, all those bullets, but the main team survived! haha

Anyway, it is still an entertaining watch and I am fully invested in the main leads. Perhaps the Korean viewers were too, hence the kiss scenes of the lead garnered 13.2% vs last ep's 11.3% for the elaborate shooting scene. 

Of course on hindsight, it is easy to say they could have done this and that, but they have chosen the path they want to take. I just say all the best and fortunately, they are making money.:)

I am okay with unrealistic ability/survivability of DG. That kinda comes with the genre (see. John Wick).

When it comes to movie/TV show plots, there is the rule of main plot driver suspension of belief. Writers/show/movie asks the viewers to suspend belief for the one major plot device (super heroes exists, body switches, time travel, etc.), but rest of the world needs to be rooted in reality so that there is weight to character decision making and we actually care about what is happening. If anything and everything is possible, then none of the plot matters and people quickly lose interest.

THE main plot driver for this show was the fact that because J&M was about to lose a contract and there was no other way to get that contract without crashing a plane. That is VERY far fetched, but sure, whatever, let's go with it. From that point on, the show needed to revolve around that very central plot device. Now they are abandoning that without even a second thought, which means that whole central tenet of the show did not matter at all, which makes rest of the story pointless.

This is REALLY REALLY poor writing. And I cannot believe that a show of this renown cast and big budget has such terrible plot line.

14 hours ago, cherriesblue said:

The arbitrator is Edward Park from dynamic System,  he is not on the same side as Jessica.  They are competitors, Dynamic and J&M, vying for the govt contract.

Jessica used to be a mentee of Park, but she later transferred to work at J&M.  

Yes he works at Dynamic BUT i thought he was on same side with Jessica. It is my impression he invited the gang to safe house for easy surveillance, lead him to reporter for assassination etc  It is a hard sell for me to believe he knowingly let his company lose the bid to take her down? He couldve taken her down by foiling her plan. 

Saw this article on Naver. TV Report made an analysis on the ratings.

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/213/0001135683

Snippet (google translate)

"The reason why viewer ratings are not rising is that the truth behind terror and the process of tracking it are not three-dimensional compared to scale and action. It was also regrettable that the charm of the characters was not well revealed."

0001135683_002_20191015161015393.jpg

-------

I wonder if the 3 part system is affecting the ratings. I see kviewer comments saying to change it back to 2 parts. I don't know how ratings are calculated and I find it weird that they have 3 ratings per episode but only take the highest rating as the overall episode rating. Shouldn't it be averaged out like other drama ratings are? If it's averaged out, the average ratings will be even lower than it currently is. Just wondering. I really want Vagabond to do well. 

1 hour ago, imgreatgal said:

Just managed to watch ep8. Just like to say this, GTW makes a good doctor but he looks hopeless in combat sigh!

Lololol. Is it the hand to hand combat with Dalgun? If so... KTW can't win against him. Everyone needs to be lesser than Dalgun. The blue house bodyguards, the unkillables, NIS...are all lesser than Dalgun which is just sigh.

:sweatingbullets::lol:

Come on now Taewoong. Don't fall in the 2nd lead trap! Writernim don't serve us a cliche love triangle hahahahaha

@katakwasabi not only the hand to hand combat with DG, it just unbearable to watch him right from the time he arrested OSM till that shooting scene towards end of ep8. A team leader and a highly trained NIS agent transporting a most wanted criminal and he just went about it like he was going shopping or something. Apparently he must have been struck by the stupidity bug when the truck of doom rammed his vehicle in ep6 smh

Archived