[Drama 2018] Your House Helper, 당신의 하우스헬퍼

Go Seung Ji

@USAFarmgirl @triplem @stargazer187 I was glad to see the scene between SM, GR and the brother. Now, the culprit has a face and GR is the first one to notice SM's strange reaction: shaking hands due to her fear, her claim that she doesn't like that kind of cake. Honestly, I have the impression that the brother is not her real brother but the son of her mother's new husband. And like KJW said, at some point secrets are bound to be found. 

As for Sang Ah, I think that she is about to face more trouble. Her CEO betrayed her (he took the money), in my opinion he was about to run away, when he called her. The notice she will receive is that she might get sued herself for fraud. She will need KJK.

I wasn't surprised that Miss An is a single mother. However, I was kind of shocked to discover that even in SK this "prejudice" exists: a mother shouldn't work as she needs to focus on the kids and the house. In Germany, working mothers are called "Rabenmutter" ("raven mother") which means "unnatural, uncaring mother". As you can see, it is kind of expected that mothers shouldn't work , but if they have to work than they should wait until their child is 3 years old (the age to enter the kindergarden). As you can see, I am living in Germany hence I had to face such a choice myself. I decided to work (actually it was to do my traineeship as teacher), even if my child was only 6 months old. The situation has improved since, but back then it was really hard to find a nanny for such a young child and it wasn't really easy for me as I had no other support than my husband. As a working mother, I didn't care what people might think about it but you could see that some people would wonder why I didn't wait until the child was 3 years old. My reasoning was simple: I want more children.... If I stay home for each child, then this means at least 6 years I have to remain at home. Even later, after the birth of my second child, my neighbor reproached me that I would neglect my children. Furthermore my motto is not to rely too much on my husband (in case of a divorce) and not to burden him too much. Being independent for a woman is important in my eyes.

Besides, the amount spent at home doesn't mean that you spend more time with the children. It is quality that matters and not the amount. Studies have revealed that the difference of time spent with their child between housewives and working mothers is not that big. We could see it, when one of the points of the mother-in-law was she didn't need a vacuum cleaner, she should do it with her own hands. In the end, this meant that the wife would have to spend more time with cleaning than with the children. But there is a reason why I never wanted to remain a housewife... First, I come from France and there, it is actually expected that mothers work. Secondly, I didn't want to get the 10 years I spent studying wasted! Yes, 10 years because when I moved to Germany, none of the degrees (from the famous university Sorbonne) were recognized back then. I had to start from the bottom. Now, this has changed too... To conclude, I had many reasons to work, although I had two children. The funny thing is that even now, although my children are teenagers, none of them has ever reproached me that I neglected them. Actually, they are still affectionate towards me... I can still hug them. With my example, I showed them that it is possible to manage both. Yes, the husband has to help at home (cooking, ironing, aso).

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/25/2018 at 11:32 AM, triplem said:

Oh yes! It wasn’t so bad on Radiant Office. But oh  my those colourful suits on 1% needed some getting used to :D 

:lol::lol:

The only thing he knows how to do well is act drama.

Poor boy:D

Ah~ that's why the Ahn Lady was so good with kids, she's a single mom herself. This is the issue I have with South Korea. For a rich country they sure are pretty backwards in thinking<_<

I'm sure it's changed but judging by growing patriarchal concerns on "Hello Counselor" it looks like it's here to stay:rolleyes: Poor Min-Ho's mom & the Ahn Lady facing discrimination for just bein' a single mom for goodness sakes! 

Just what era is the mother-in-law in to think a household appliance deprives a child of maternal love LoL!? God she must be terrified to see plenty of parents these days leave their kids with a smartphone/tablet LoL! 

I also agree that when you're outnumbered, it's harder to fight back... 

What's up with the characters wearing T-shirts with words printed in front? 

I like Jin-Gook but I got to admit he comes across...too clingy LoL? He needs to let Sang-Ah breathe! And I love those lil bottles of Yogurt drinks. Guess I'm a kid too eheh. 

AHAH Ddo-Bok playin' Cupid. Er--So-Mi's mom looks like her sis:w00t: she must've had So-Mi when she was 12 or something:lol: Aish her "Oppa":crazy: still curious what really happened though... 

Yay for So-Mi/Ga-Ram couple:D

@triplem Thanks for the preview!!:wub: To me, it doesn't look like a crossover in love lines. KJW is acting like a friend towards SA, the only one who knows about her double life and lies. Moreover, he saw how KJK acted towards SA. He is well aware that the lawyer is interested in SA. From my point of view, KJW will serve as bridge between SA and KJK... notice, he ensured that SA stopped lying to KJK, even if it was painful for our cute lawyer. SA is so convinced that she is below her friend TH because of her social and financial situation. 

@triplem

This is why I think Bo-Na fall short. A capable actress would've been able to convey the subtle nuances needed to make Da-Young's emotions convincing. 

But maybe that's why it (their pairing) works LoL. She's like the Jedi to Ji-Woon's Yoda:w00t: 

At least Ji-Woon has no problem sitting next to her in the bus LoL. 'Cause most times when a pairing is not official yet they tend to sit apart. 

the only thing I find unfortunate is the lack of screen time of the second lead male KJK, I would say he is just a guest in this drama. it's so bad, however, his role is really good and the actor plays it too well, he is very cute and clumsy, I really do not understand why the writers put it aside at this point.

Otherwise I found early the fact that the lead female bona falls in love first, I would have preferred that it is first the boy, it is obvious that he is interested in her and maybe the next episodes will advance things between them

@marrez1 Yes, I also wished that KJK had more scenes. I hope, he will appear more and more, when he starts interacting with KJW and DY. 

On the other hand, it makes more sense that BY falls in love with KJW as the latter is somehow waiting for his missing lover. The more she loves him and helps him, the more KJW will be moved by her... that's how he can move on.

7 hours ago, triplem said:

The thing is that Kim JW is full of wisdom , and while some of DY's reactions and handling of the issues at hand felt rather naive and almost lacking in common sense. While I get that she always has the best intentions ( and I love her for that ) , it feels like KJW is an older wiser brother to her than a potential love interest. For me a good relationship often starts from being in a similar station in life and having similar level of maturity. But oh well , we will see how it goes.  

@triplem   Hehehe.  I was thinking am I the only one who feels that way... but you noticed that too, huh. You hit the jackpot. From the start of their encounter and every time they have scenes. It always feels like she's a younger sister and he's an older brother who reprimands and lectured her and gives her wisdom. :D

Maybe I am the only one who hopes that DY do end up with KJW. IDK what is the webtoon version is like but I think the kiss should mean something. As for SA, I dont knw. I like her at first but in the last two episodes, I kinda annoyed by her wanting to look good (both physically and career-wise) in front of everyone. But she has no qualm to show her true self in front of KJW, which again irks me since it means that she is comfortable with him (which is a sign that he is good for her and is a sign that she is the greatest threat for DY to be with KJW, not the ex). I can relate to DY when she felt that she is no match for SA since SA seemed to be all that confident and  KJW is very much comfortable around SA as well. The only time he was around DY is when she was always in trouble (which I guess why many thinks that they have more brotherly-sisterly kinda of relationship). But then I started this show because it was a simple rom com with useful tips that I like so much. Currently there are too many complicated drama on every screen that I welcome something simple like this with supposedly no love complication (except the ex). However, the latest take on the possible love triangle kinda pull me back a bit..I'm having the same awkward sensation that I felt watching Wok of Love with the love triangle scenario. I cannot feel good about the OTP when I felt bad about the second lead. This time, I am not sure if I can root for SA and KJW (if that is the outcome in the webtoon) when I felt bad about DY. I just wish the Writer would somehow give us solid hints on who KJW will end up with and focus on the current, everyday housekeeping issues with wisdom to spare. #justmy2cents #sorrytoSAKJWsupporters....

5 hours ago, inna75 said:

Maybe I am the only one who hopes that DY do end up with KJW. IDK what is the webtoon version is like but I think the kiss should mean something. As for SA, I dont know. I like her at first but in the last two episodes, I kinda annoyed by her wanting to look good (both physically and career-wise) in front of everyone. But she has no qualm to show her true self in front of KJW, which again irks me since it means that she is comfortable with him (which is a sign that he is good for her and is a sign that she is the greatest threat for DY to be with KJW, not the ex). I can relate to DY when she felt that she is no match for SA since SA seemed to be all that confident and  KJW is very much comfortable around SA as well. The only time he was around DY is when she was always in trouble (which I guess why many thinks that they have more brotherly-sisterly kinda of relationship). But then I started this show because it was a simple rom com with useful tips that I like so much. Currently there are too many complicated drama on every screen that I welcome something simple like this with supposedly no love complication (except the ex). However, the latest take on the possible love triangle kinda pull me back a bit..I'm having the same awkward sensation that I felt watching Wok of Love with the love triangle scenario. I cannot feel good about the OTP when I felt bad about the second lead. This time, I am not sure if I can root for SA and KJW (if that is the outcome in the webtoon) when I felt bad about DY. I just wish the Writer would somehow give us solid hints on who KJW will end up with and focus on the current, everyday housekeeping issues with wisdom to spare. #justmy2cents #sorrytoSAKJWsupporters....

I must say that the more episodes we get, the more I have come to like DY. Sure, first I found Bona's acting lacking and that was the reason. However, now I got accustomed to it. Unlike @triplem, I don't feel that DY and KJW have a dongsae relationship. Yes, he is acting like the older and wiser man here. However, he is not different with SA. When he is with SA, he also gives her good advice and even criticizes her for her actions or words. He is definitely more mature than SA and DY. But this comes from his past experience and age. KJW is much older than SA and DY. But if you look how he interacts with DY, he is much more caring. SA has to pay KJW for his work, whereas it wasn't the case with DY. Moreover, he gave her his number willingly. SA had to call GTS for the request.

DY and SA have a lot in common that's why they have a similar relationship with KJW on the surface. They are both naive. SA is not able to distinguish whom she can trust and not. I mean, when the former colleague warned her twice and even mentioned other witnesses, SA refused the obvious as she wished so much to become a vice-director. SA signed papers and never thought of the consequences. DY and SA are both lonely persons. On the other hand, DY is different from SA as the former is less superficial and self-centered. I believe that DY's innocence can be explained by the way she was raised. She was loved by her father whom sheltered her. She was protected and was never confronted by harsh reality. Yet, when her father died, she had to face the reality: debts, meeting the lawyer aso. Yet during that time, she was on her own, no one by her side who could guide her and help her. Her father protected her before but he never gave her any advice how to face difficulties or how society nowadays is. That's why KJW plays such a huge part in her life now. He helps her with his knowledge and wisdom.

SA will need a lawyer at some point that's the moment she will have to show KJK her true personality and situation. KJW can only help SA by catching the guy, yet the charges against her are a different matter.

@USAFarmgirl

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsMp8QX5aSsEL2jIS3gHd423.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFJUO4kxXjQNzFY0_h5QX

It's interesting to read and soak up so many different points of view and understand each one.  I myself find that JW acts as if money or being paid is important to him while I believe it's just a cover up for what his real passion is right now in his life. As he heals others little by little he in fact is healing himself.  Helping and inspiring those who open their doors as well as their hearts to him.  I find him as well as the people around him to be more interesting as we continue to unfold each individual story.  He is helping all those around him in a way guiding each one of them often so softly that they figure it out themselves through his gentle hand.   To be able see themselves as they are, in hopes of showing them what they can be.  To have the courage to let go of their past, face their fears and grasp onto the happiness they each deserve...

DY...Being a failure in not standing up for yourself, allowing others to use and abuse you in your silence.

SM...Being a failure in never allowing yourself to love or be loved because your heart is kept in darkness and your happiness too.

SA...Being a failure in believing you are one.  In hiding behind a Sparkling mask that you created and is now suffocating you.

And last but not least is... JW

Him keeping so busy on purpose being a helper in healing everyone and everything around him.  Yet being a failure in not being able to let go of his past and heal himself or his heart...

I don't know if JW will end up with anyone of those above as I believe one has to deal with their pain before they can move on.  But when the complete healing does take place within his own life and he is ready to open his doors heart. I hope DY is the one standing there.  Her heart is pure and I believe his is too...

My last thought is DY and creepy Head boss that by the preview will believe what he heard at the office and make advances towards her.  It makes my heart tingle with happiness to think of JW coming like a Knight to her rescue.   Also I wonder if the creep & Manager An have a past...  Who is the father of her son?  Or does she have feelings for him?

Still so much we just don't know!

@USAFarmgirl Great post like usual... but I believe that he started healing the moment he started working for DY. To me, it is not just connected to DY but also to her house. Notice that he keeps coming to the house and imagine how DY's childhood was. He can feel the love and happiness in this house.

52 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

@USAFarmgirl Great post like usual... but I believe that he started healing the moment he started working for DY. To me, it is not just connected to DY but to her house. Notice that he keeps coming to the house and imagine how DY's childhood was. He can feel the love and happiness in this house.

Yes o. I concur.

That house has a magic touch he can't explain.

Poor DY.

"He is mean to me"

Babe has serious issues. Why is she always belittling herself?

Feel like shaking her.

Ahah Jin-Gook has turned into a stalker! I seriously can't believe his profession is an attorney...'cause most times in a job such as his; one need to be smooth & confident a la Harvey of Suits LoL. Jin-Gook acts like a fumbling teenager. 

I really do think there's better chemistry between Ji-Woon & Sang-Ah...she somewhat resembles his ex too... And I much prefer Ji-Woon with his bangs up;) Ugh this drama is killing with the suspense on So-Mi's backstory!:crazy:

Those 2 pesky female co-workers at Da-Young's office are on my nerves. They should pay more attention to their own job over minding/spreading gossip:rolleyes:

I'm so frustrated with Da-Young aka Ms I'm Sorry I don't even know where to begin-_- She's so scatter brained & a klutz I think she'd match better with Mr. I'm Sorry aka Jin-Gook. Though that one ad exec seem to eye her too?? 

Poor Ji-Woon looks like he's overworked & underpaid LoL. He even doubles as a messenger now. 

@darr To me the house plays a part because since LSH left him behind, he has never returned to this flat. Notice that he is living in a room that looks like an office. There is no bed, nothing that makes him feel as if he were home. The fact that he is clinging onto that flat (he even took a loan for that) underlines the great importance of the flat in his life. For him, the flat is connected to happy memories with LSH. He felt secure and had the impression, this flat was their home. With her disappearance, he has no home... it is as if he has been abandoned, like a stray cat that is now going to different homes in order to feel that feeling of "home". I would even say, the stray cat is looking for a new home, where someone decides to adopt him. This is DY's role. She is little by little taking him in: celebrating his birthday, asking for his favourites dishes. Besides, we shouldn't forget that in DY's home, he is able to create "memories" from the past. He pictures DY's past as a loving and warm home... This is something he has been missing for so long. To me, it works as if he can erase these happy memories with LSH with others. I have the impression that KJW gave his best for LSH (in his mind, it was their home) but I sense that LSH might have NOT seen it like that. She could have felt pressured. Finally, he needs someone who pays attention to him, cares for him because if we look at KJW's behaviour, we will notice that he always helps people, whereas he neglects himself. DY is the right girl for that. She is considerate, selfless and generous. Her lack of confidence comes from her past experience: she lost her best friends due to a misunderstanding, she was on her own dealing with huge problems and I am quite sure, she was made feel little and insecure. Moreover, SA's confidence in her "beauty and skills" could have overshadowed her.

@USAFarmgirl @triplem

Delurking to express a few thoughts on this drama:

1. Whilst Bona has a delicate beauty to her, her acting unfortunately falls short. I’ve read that she was stellar in Age of Youth but it doesn’t show here, sadly. 

There is a distinction between being weak as a character and being weak as an actor – it frustrates me that every time she comes onscreen, she puts me off with her facial and tonal expressions because I actually enjoy the story and don’t want to dislike her acting. 

The sweet and kind nature of her character already gives her an advantage, yet I am impatient with her feeble portrayal. 

Her reception to the discovery of her superior’s single-mum status maddened me, especially: She could’ve shown surprise tinged with sympathy (a trait her character is supposed to have), yet she came across as passively judgemental and shallow. I’m not sure if it’s a directorial choice but I’m inclined to think it’s her inability to express compassion in the scene.  

Her character’s helplessness (and her portrayal of it) is irritating too but I suppose it only sets up opportunities for the renewal of friendship with So Mi and Sang Ah, while allowing Kim Saeng to swoop in to clean up her literal and figurative messes. 

Her weakness as a thespian is particularly glaring, when you put her next to Go Won Hee, who plays a frankly-annoying character with such measured nuance that you sympathise with her character, whilst laughing at her foibles. 

2. Ha Seok Jin – he has sparkling chemistry with Sang Ah and I can even see him with Ms Ahn (this latter pairing makes me think of him in Childless Comfort, where he had an older lady as a partner, iirc), but not with Da Young. 

His bluntness and sometimes-playful bickering with Sang Ah, as well as how comfortable they are with each other, makes me wish for an alternate storyline, instead of the one that’s already been prescribed for the main leads.

The kiss between him and Da Young happened too early and in a cheesy way that just makes her attraction to him seem forced. 

The bright night light and her full—perfectly-done—makeup in the kiss scene also made me roll my eyes. 

3. Speaking of makeup, Bona carries off deep raspberry lips beautifully. I was actually sorry to see her use a different colour in later scenes! 

I'm really enjoying this drama. I don't normally watch the entire episode even if I may like a certain drama. I tend to skip the annoying scenes of characters I dislike. However, there's nothing to dislike about this drama. I particularly like the dog, Ttobok.

Archived