[Drama 2018] Your House Helper, 당신의 하우스헬퍼

Go Seung Ji

@stuartjmz

Actually, That scene was the first time I found Mr Kim to be patronising and a touch bullying.  Personal taste in food is just that, personal taste. He actually told her was wrong to dislike them and said "I will change your palate". THAT  really irked me - he had no right to tell her that her subjective taste was objectively wrong, and to say "I will change it" smacked of paternalistic superiority. If that scene WAS an analogy for her abuse, that compounds the error by even more inanely trivialising her trauma".

In response I would actually want to say that it was not patronising or even arrogant for Mr. Kim to say he will change her palate, because many times he behaves like a father, or anyway, like an older brother to all the girls and it is not wrong since he is older. Plus, he prepared the beans in another way so that she could start to like them, because as he quoted, the beans were antioxidant and very good for their health. If she would have tasted them and still say she didn´t like them, he would have respected her. But I found the scene touching, because he doesn´t gain anything by helping her to eat a new food for her, he is just happy to be of use. I actually really wish i could meet somebody like him in my life, a dear older brother full of knowledge. 

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/11/2018 at 6:20 PM, darr said:

For some reasons i stopped watching this drama. I dont know why.

Yeah the drama does have some interesting plot, but it's not executed well at times. I feel like this drama could have been as good as Age of Youth, but the writing and directing duo we have here isn't as great. 

I'm still watching though haha because there's a good bunch of characters in this drama, and I'd like to see how they go. 

12 minutes ago, stuartjmz said:

I don' know what he ACTUALLY said in Korean, but as the subs read, it was arrogant and patronising. He could have said something like " I think you might be surprised, I'll cook them in a way that might change your mind" To say I WILL change your palate" is cocky, arrogant and overly self-assured. And I say that as someone who has endured several decades of people thinking they could   change my palate.  

Hum, well, I think it is a matter of perception. You felt it as he was cocky and arrogant, and that is ok. It was the way you felt it and interpreted it. Whereas for me, I simply felt he was very concerned and nice and helpful. These are different perceptions, but both have reasons to co-exist. (I apologize for my English is not so good. It is not my mother language). 

Just checking - is there only one episode this week because of Korea Liberation Day?

27 minutes ago, emmafaye said:

Hum, well, I think it is a matter of perception. You felt it as he was cocky and arrogant, and that is ok. It was the way you felt it and interpreted it. Whereas for me, I simply felt he was very concerned and nice and helpful. These are different perceptions, but both have reasons to co-exist. (I apologize for my English is not so good. It is not my mother language). 

Good point Emma - words are tricky things with slippery meanings. Especially when we can't be sure that what we're reading in a subtitles is what the character is actually saying.

I'm not sure what message this drama is tryin' to convey with that Jerkface now turning into Da-Young's stalker:crazy: It just rubbed me the wrong way... 

So-Hee prove to be an impossible wall to overcome, even if Ji-Woon made a decision to let go; 5 years was indeed a long time. Da-Young will have a tough time competing with an "absent" ex... 

I find it sweet that Ga-Ram is so committed in helping So-Mi...I just wish she'd trust him enough to confide on her sleazy creeper of a stepbrother. 

I'm sorry but I didn't like Da-Young's outfit for her date with Ji-Woon, Sang-Ah's dress was better. I also love her earrings!:wub:B) I agree that love grow & develops overtime. Love at first sight is a fantasy perpetuated by the media. 

YaY Ahn Lady is back:D

Ji-Woon can come across pretty high-handed/control freak I'd admit. Him tellin' Da-Young to include more greens in her diet came across like he was her nutritionist or something:P

Sheesh Jin-Gook is such a dork! Who offers their date an itinerary?!:w00t::lol: Sang-Ah havin' to put her best face on at all times is exhausting LoL I mean it's ok 'cause Jin-Gook is so lovestruck he doesn't mind but I guess Jin-Gook need to call her 2 hours ahead for her to prepare:w00t::lol:

I have the impression that LSH might have been someone who helps people to overcome their struggling. I just watched the ending out of curiosity and was surprised to see that

Spoiler

Ga Ram knew LSH. He met her, when he was a student (see school uniform).

We heard from him that he was struggling because his father abused him. Then the way he is helping SM reveals that he has learnt a lot through his therapy.

Spoiler

In my opinion, LSH could be the one who helped him to overcome his trauma and leave his violent surrounding.

Finally, I would like to add for this theory, we can observe a certain regularity in the pattern:

Manager Goo was looking for LSH. Then we heard from him that he had faced huge issues in the past.

Then JW met LSH, when he was about to commit suicide.

To conclude, LSH left all these men, when she noticed that they were able to stand on their feet and had oc´vercome their issues/trauma/crisis. Striking is that LSH brought KJW to her flat and indirectly "pushed" him to clean the place. That's how he found his new job in the long run. I have the impression, when LSH spent time with them, she made sure that these young men would find happiness. 

@triplem @USAFarmgirl I was disappointed with Sang A in the last episode. She told her friends that the start of a couple should be clear and JK definitely did what she wanted. Honestly, JK tries his best to please her and she was upset because she was just wearing these fancy pants. Really, that's so absurd and superficial. Does she really like JK? I hope, in the last two episodes, she should be the one running after him because she needs to prove that she likes and even loves him.

As for GR, I have the impression that LSH is not his real mother but he believes, she is his mother. He said that people told him that his mother had died. LSH appeared in his life, when he was facing a real crisis in his life. Just like JW, GR was on the verge of becoming a criminal. I sense that GR was not happy, when he heard that JW was dating DY. So he knew that JW used to date LSH. But in my opinion, he is mistaken about LSH. Like I mentioned it above, I have the impression that LSH has always used her life in order to help people, guide them to lead a better life. Notice that there is a pattern here with JW, Go and GR: Thanks to LSH, all these three men decided to help others. Go helped JW, the latter helped DY and her friends, GR helped SM aso. 

Not happy with SA... She knew how JK tries hard to please her. I feel like he’s always walking on eggshells when with her. I agree she needs to do the chasing this time.

JW/DY! I like it! I didn’t like how the episode ended though. He was already at the cafe. DY was on her way there. He couldn’t wait a little longer to see her for a bit?

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN~ (Cue: Dramatic BGM) In true K-Drama fashion - The Classic Plot Twist!

Ga-Ram AND So-Hee are re--la--ted...??!!

The whole Jin-Gook/Sang-Ah segment was freakin' HILARIOUS:w00t: Don't let a man like that slip through your fingers Sang-Ah shi! LoL He made a dash to the convenient store the minute he heard she craved Beer MWAHAHAH:lol: What if she asked for oysters!? Would he dived into the sea there & then LoL!? At least there's never a dull moment for Sang-Ah when she's with Jin-Gook:phew::lol:

Awww~ where would this leave Cheol-Soo & Hye-Joo..?? 

@triplem

That must be nice to be so busy.. I wish I could be swamped with something, keeps me occupied I guess (shrug) 

With the actress that plays So-Mi, her deer in headlights look sometimes unnerves me LoL! She may/may not have had work done on her face? 

I was wondering what Occam's Razor is as well! I think the trouble with Sang-Ah is that she obviously needs to be with a man NOT a boy which is what Jin-Gook is sadly... He really acts like a fumbling teenager; too inexperienced at relationships. He needs to mature before gettin' into dates plus he's rushing it too much, heck even I'd be freaked out! 

It's like the drama pits the Sang-Ah/Jin-Gook pairing as comic relief? 

Off screen, the actors who play Da-Young & Jin-Gook have an easy chemistry compared to the rest of the cast...makes me wonder if Da-Young/Jin-Gook are a better match... 

This I notice after watchin' plenty of K-dramas/variety, they put a LOT of emphasis on events/anniversaries etc more than those in the West! And they need to "propose" before dating someone huh LoL?! I mean it's just too insignificant to be such a big deal...what of the engagement later? Fireworks? It just seem a waste of money LoL & superficial.. I guess some girls like grand gestures. 

@triplem

ANY kind of 'busy' is good for me:D

Again it's K-drama logic:P

Although in Ji-Woon's case, him soaking in the rain was a way to 'cleanse' whatever memory left of So-Hee? Also his way of letting go of "old" to make way for "present"... 

This is what I don't get about our female characters in K-dramas, they own the latest smartphones, the designer bags but can't afford a cheap umbrella LoL?!:lol: 

So in conclusion, only get caught in the rain when you're happy like the girls & you won't get ill:w00t: Get soaked in rain while getting over a love one like Ji-Woon you'd end up sick eheh. 

c45f09eb16aa45458728cc2913946ea3.jpg?x=btenor.gif?itemid=10390862

One life touches another that touches another and it just goes on and on...

When I saw in these last episodes how the tables had kind of turned and seeing the ladies shopping and working together for the best reason of all giving back to one who has given to you.  My first thought was how much I truly love this drama because it's life lessons can be seen in many different ways and challenge we the viewers to think about how each of our lives don't just affect ourselves but all those who are around us.  Our actions, our words, the things we do and don't do...

Not just that but there is still learning to be found like in SA who still doesn't get it which is a surprise after her last relationship which to me was a one sided one with someone who never truly loved her or for that matter cared.  To JK total opposite and dang he is crazy in love with her to the point that when I saw him run to get that beer I thought no WOMAN in her right mind would miss seeing that kind of love.  Not only is his heart laid out in front of her his whole body is bowed to the floor it's just to the point that it hurts me to see any man even one who is inexperienced not be recognized for that kind of devotion...

Forgive me, I hate to say it but if SA doesn't wake up and change soon I won't believe that she deserves him or his love.  She maybe stuck in her fantasy world or maybe she doesn't see him as a man but at least she should see his heart and treat him with kindness.  Everything doesn't have to be about her no matter his imperfections or not.  And to me it's what a person is saying on the inside that truly matters most.  I am a woman but I believe RESPECT should go both ways and it's not just about Cinderella its about the

Prince too!!

I have to admit, i skipped the scene about JW and DY visiting her father's grave and when JG want to propose to SA. I cant, im not ready.

And SH, she left her son but can take care of a stranger?

Tollgate polls! if you haven't voted already, please do visit the events section under Home > soompi info > events

based on members nominations, there are 5 polls. look for these threads within the events section here :

tollgate poll 1 - villains

tollgate poll 2 - dramas

tollgate poll 3 - side characters

tollgate poll 4 - OTP, leads

tollgate poll 5 - misc

Kim Ji Woon in House Helper was nominated for leads award #1. you wish the character was real and you could meet him/her. if you agree, cast your vote!

On 8/18/2018 at 3:49 AM, Latte_Anyday said:

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN~ (Cue: Dramatic BGM) In true K-Drama fashion - The Classic Plot Twist!

Ga-Ram AND So-Hee are re--la--ted...??!!

The whole Jin-Gook/Sang-Ah segment was freakin' HILARIOUS:w00t: Don't let a man like that slip through your fingers Sang-Ah shi! LoL He made a dash to the convenient store the minute he heard she craved Beer MWAHAHAH:lol: What if she asked for oysters!? Would he dived into the sea there & then LoL!? At least there's never a dull moment for Sang-Ah when she's with Jin-Gook:phew::lol:

Awww~ where would this leave Cheol-Soo & Hye-Joo..?? 

Hahahaha you said it. That's kdrama for you! :blink::lol:  but what the heck. I still enjoy this show. So much show I was thinking of j-drama version and all the actors I want to be in the cast. Plus I think spin off for main story between SA and JK.. He's so fluffy

13 hours ago, USAFarmgirl said:

Not just that but there is still learning to be found like in SA who still doesn't get it which is a surprise after her last relationship which to me was a one sided one with someone who never truly loved her or for that matter cared.  To JK total opposite and dang he is crazy in love with her to the point that when I saw him run to get that beer I thought no WOMAN in her right mind would miss seeing that kind of love.  Not only is his heart laid out in front of her his whole body is bowed to the floor it's just to the point that it hurts me to see any man even one who is inexperienced not be recognized for that kind of devotion...

Forgive me, I hate to say it but if SA doesn't wake up and change soon I won't believe that she deserves him or his love.  She maybe stuck in her fantasy world or maybe she doesn't see him as a man but at least she should see his heart and treat him with kindness.  Everything doesn't have to be about her no matter his imperfections or not.  And to me it's what a person is saying on the inside that truly matters most.  I am a woman but I believe RESPECT should go both ways and it's not just about Cinderella its about the

Prince too!!

I agree. His love and devotion to SA. The time he took  searching which restaurant serves the best squid.. the things he needs to do and things he needs to stop. Watching their scenes,  JK  I just want to hug him!

OMO! So it seems LSH is Ga Ram's mum. No wonder he always looks uneasy whenever her name was mentioned! :(

This drama is so relatable and realistic. My elder daughter is just like SA who takes at least 1 hour to doll up. Heeee! :D

Why does HSJ look extra hot in his "manly" looking aprons? I was the only one who was obsessed with his mismatched clothes in 1% of Anything and now I 'm obsessed with his  special APRONS here! :heart:

Archived